PDA

View Full Version : The Supremes to Broadway

test

luke
06-16-2012, 03:24 PM
Big pic of Mary, Diana and Flo in NY Post yesterday. Article said Berry has finally decided to let the real stories of Motown be told with the real music and he is in NYC negotiating with Broadway writers and he has a producer.

longtimefan
06-16-2012, 05:08 PM
What DMF picture was it? Glad to hear that it was The Supremes featured!

stalebagel
06-16-2012, 05:33 PM
Whoa Luke -- you really need to read that article again.
"The real stories of Motown?"
Really?
With all due respect, check it out again, okay?

milven
06-16-2012, 05:36 PM
Didn't see the Post article, but Gordy is here to discuss a new musical called MOTOWN which is based on his life

Is New Musical Motown, Based on Life of Berry Gordy, Heading to Broadway?
By Andrew Gans
15 Jun 2012

Charles Randolph-Wright

A new musical based on the life of Berry Gordy, the famed record producer who founded the Motown label, is aiming for Broadway next year, according to the New York Post.

Kevin McCollum, Doug Morris and Gordy, who produced a March-April developmental lab, will also bring the musical, which is simply titled Motown, to Broadway.

Charles Randolph-Wright directed the aforementioned workshop, which featured choreography by Bradley Rapier and Patricia Wilcox. Randolph-Wright continues as director of the musical, which features the work of various Motown composers.

Characters in the musical, according to a previous Actors' Equity notice, include Smokey Robinson, Marvin Gaye, Little Berry Gordy, Stevie Wonder and Michael Jackson.

The Post reports that Gordy is still searching for a librettist to write the book of the musical. He has reportedly met with Suzan-Lori Parks and Katori Hall.

A previous casting director's note read, "Because most of these characters are real people, although we are not seeking impersonators, we do want actors that evoke the look and sound of these music icons. Please research photos of those you don’t know and [audition] only [if] you believe [you] could play these characters."

No official announcement about a Broadway production has been made.

jobeterob
06-16-2012, 05:41 PM
Today, 04:20 PM #1 jobeterob View Profile View Forum Posts Private Message View Articles
Senior Member Join Date Aug 2010
Posts 12,236 Berry Gordy is Bringing “Motown” to Broadway next year
ON BROADWAY
Berry Gordy Jr. was in town last month meeting with agents, theater owners and producers about an autobiographical musical using his Motown catalog of hits.

How do I know this?

I heard it through the grapevine!

Gordy’s wanted to do “Motown” [[the show’s working title) on Broadway for years. Since he’ll be 83 in November, he’s telling everyone, “Let’s Get It On!”

[[OK, enough with the Motown references. I’m starting to sound like a correspondent for NY1’s “OnStage.”)

Kevin McCollum, the crackerjack producer behind “High Fidelity” and “[title of show]” [[smash hits, both — not), is bringing “Motown” to Broadway next year. The co-producer is Doug Morris, who runs Sony Music.

But let’s be honest: Berry Gordy’s going to be calling the shots.

Charles Randolph-Wright, who was in the original production of “Dreamgirls,” is directing. He’s staged countless shows in regional theaters, including “Guys and Dolls” and “Sophisticated Ladies.”

Now Gordy’s looking for a writer. He’s met with Suzan-Lori Parks, who truncated “The Gershwins’ Porgy and Bess,” and Katori Hall, who wrote last season’s “The Mountaintop.”

“He’s still looking for the right fit,” says a production source.

He should meet with Rick Elice and Marshall Brickman. They wrote the gold standard of catalog musicals — “Jersey Boys,” which has a worldwide gross of $1 billion.

Elice and Brickman recognized that the real-life story of Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons was more interesting than any fictional plot they could come up with. So they wrote a musical that has all the drama and intrigue of a VH1 “Behind the Music” episode.

And that’s exactly what Gordy wants to do with “Motown.”

“As you’d imagine, he’s got great stories,” a production source says.

If “Motown” has a shot, Gordy can’t sanitize his tale. You don’t get to be an entertainment mogul by being Mr. Nice Guy all the time. There have been countless books written about Motown, some implying that the company had mob connections — a charge Gordy’s always denied.

I once got hold of a book proposal by Tony Turner, who was a Motown gofer in the ’60s. Turner, who died of AIDS, unloaded a dump truck full of dirt on Gordy and Motown. I was working for the then-Daily News gossip columnist George Rush at the time, and we published Turner’s allegations. Gordy sued the News for $250 million. The suit went on for years but was eventually settled over a round of golf at the Bel-Air Country Club in Los Angeles between Gordy and News publisher Mort Zuckerman.

Who knows if all the allegations were true?

But they were certainly dramatic — good fodder for a gripping musical.

[[I still have that book proposal, if you’d like to refresh your memory, Berry.)

In any case, Gordy will have to deal with the documented feuds, lawsuits, egos, divas and tragedies: the firing of Florence Ballard from the Supremes [[“And I’m Telling You, I’m Not Going” — sorry, wrong show); legal battles with the Jackson 5; the rise of superdiva Diana Ross; the fatal shooting of Marvin Gaye.

This is juicy material. Set against some of the greatest popular songs ever written, it could be shaped into a compelling musical.

Broadway’s the pinnacle, but if you have good songs, a strong directorial vision and a dramatic story, there ain’t no mountain . . . well, you know where I’m headed with this one.

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/entertainmen...#ixzz1xzPRt8RJ

rod_rick
06-16-2012, 06:02 PM
Today, 04:20 PM #1 jobeterob View Profile View Forum Posts Private Message View Articles
Senior Member Join Date Aug 2010
Posts 12,236 Berry Gordy is Bringing “Motown” to Broadway next year
ON BROADWAY
Berry Gordy Jr. was in town last month meeting with agents, theater owners and producers about an autobiographical musical using his Motown catalog of hits.

How do I know this?

I heard it through the grapevine!

Gordy’s wanted to do “Motown” [[the show’s working title) on Broadway for years. Since he’ll be 83 in November, he’s telling everyone, “Let’s Get It On!”

[[OK, enough with the Motown references. I’m starting to sound like a correspondent for NY1’s “OnStage.”)

Kevin McCollum, the crackerjack producer behind “High Fidelity” and “[title of show]” [[smash hits, both — not), is bringing “Motown” to Broadway next year. The co-producer is Doug Morris, who runs Sony Music.

But let’s be honest: Berry Gordy’s going to be calling the shots.

Charles Randolph-Wright, who was in the original production of “Dreamgirls,” is directing. He’s staged countless shows in regional theaters, including “Guys and Dolls” and “Sophisticated Ladies.”

Now Gordy’s looking for a writer. He’s met with Suzan-Lori Parks, who truncated “The Gershwins’ Porgy and Bess,” and Katori Hall, who wrote last season’s “The Mountaintop.”

“He’s still looking for the right fit,” says a production source.

He should meet with Rick Elice and Marshall Brickman. They wrote the gold standard of catalog musicals — “Jersey Boys,” which has a worldwide gross of $1 billion.

Elice and Brickman recognized that the real-life story of Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons was more interesting than any fictional plot they could come up with. So they wrote a musical that has all the drama and intrigue of a VH1 “Behind the Music” episode.

And that’s exactly what Gordy wants to do with “Motown.”

“As you’d imagine, he’s got great stories,” a production source says.

If “Motown” has a shot, Gordy can’t sanitize his tale. You don’t get to be an entertainment mogul by being Mr. Nice Guy all the time. There have been countless books written about Motown, some implying that the company had mob connections — a charge Gordy’s always denied.

I once got hold of a book proposal by Tony Turner, who was a Motown gofer in the ’60s. Turner, who died of AIDS, unloaded a dump truck full of dirt on Gordy and Motown. I was working for the then-Daily News gossip columnist George Rush at the time, and we published Turner’s allegations. Gordy sued the News for $250 million. The suit went on for years but was eventually settled over a round of golf at the Bel-Air Country Club in Los Angeles between Gordy and News publisher Mort Zuckerman.

Who knows if all the allegations were true?

But they were certainly dramatic — good fodder for a gripping musical.

[[I still have that book proposal, if you’d like to refresh your memory, Berry.)

In any case, Gordy will have to deal with the documented feuds, lawsuits, egos, divas and tragedies: the firing of Florence Ballard from the Supremes [[“And I’m Telling You, I’m Not Going” — sorry, wrong show); legal battles with the Jackson 5; the rise of superdiva Diana Ross; the fatal shooting of Marvin Gaye.

This is juicy material. Set against some of the greatest popular songs ever written, it could be shaped into a compelling musical.

Broadway’s the pinnacle, but if you have good songs, a strong directorial vision and a dramatic story, there ain’t no mountain . . . well, you know where I’m headed with this one.

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/entertainmen...#ixzz1xzPRt8RJ

Rob u
did you notice that in that article it said Tony Turner passed away?

blueskies
06-16-2012, 06:24 PM
Is that true about Tony Turner? Can anyone verify that?

carlo
06-16-2012, 06:57 PM
I don't think Tony passed. We would have heard about it, unless it happened very recently? He was posting on SDF last year.

pbenjamson@aol.com
06-16-2012, 07:42 PM
I don't think Tony passed. We would have heard about it, unless it happened very recently? He was posting on SDF last year.

Also, I talked to him on the phone last year while doing research for my upcoming Mary Wells bio. Peter Benjaminson.

Roberta75
06-17-2012, 09:21 AM
I hope a large part of this Broadway musical is dedicated to the First Lady of Motown Miss Martha Reeves.

Roberta

Penny
06-17-2012, 09:52 AM

Yes Carlo, I remember him posting here a lot last year. He seemed fine and did not mention any health issues. He was living with an Earl or Duke or something from Spain so maybe Tony is traveling with him and that is why we have heard nothing. It was also reported he was traveling from time to time with the Three Degrees.

I hope Tony did not die. He always had interesting things to post here. He did scold me sometimes but I didn't care.

Penny:o

Jimi LaLumia
06-17-2012, 10:02 AM
I used to see Tony at THE BUNKHOUSE with my friend Norman[[whom some Supremes came to call Caddilac Man)...haven't seen either of them in a decade or two..

Roberta75
06-17-2012, 10:38 AM
Yes Carlo, I remember him posting here a lot last year. He seemed fine and did not mention any health issues. He was living with an Earl or Duke or something from Spain so maybe Tony is traveling with him and that is why we have heard nothing. It was also reported he was traveling from time to time with the Three Degrees.

I hope Tony did not die. He always had interesting things to post here. He did scold me sometimes but I didn't care.

That's right Penny. Didn't Mr. Tony Turner call himself "The Top Diva" or something like that? If I recall correctly he and Marv2 were very close. Perhaps Marv2 knows his whereabouts. I pray he isn't dead. He told tall tales and made up colorful stories but he was very witty. Hopefully he's in Europe with his Duke.

Have a blessed Sunday dear Penny.

Respectfully yours,

Roberta

milven
06-17-2012, 10:44 AM

I think you are referring to TOP DIVA, whom we all presumed was Tony Turner because he seemed to know everything about Turner. But he kept saying that he was a college student in Florida. Whoever her was, he got caught in a bunch of lies, was called out on them by members of the board, and was eventually banned. As for Tony Turner, my guess is that he is still around and the person who wrote the article made a mistake

I used to see Tony at THE BUNKHOUSE with my friend Norman[[whom some Supremes came to call Caddilac Man)...haven't seen either of them in a decade or two..

If you are talking about Supreme lover Norman Fidel, I believe he died last month. It is second hand info. Perhaps someone on this board can confirm.

blueskies
06-17-2012, 10:52 AM
I also read where Norman Fidel passed away on Mary Wilson's web page. No mention of Tony Turner anywhere.
http://marywilson.com/?m=20120525

smark21
06-17-2012, 11:56 AM
Alive or dead, Tony Turner is a human piece of shit.

smark21
06-17-2012, 11:59 AM
Back on topic, I wonder if the Motown show does get made if the book will be pretty honest and explore both the good and bad of Motown or will it just be an feel good musical?

milven
06-17-2012, 12:55 PM
I read long ago, that it was to be based on his book, TO BE LOVED. If true, it won't work. That's just a love letter to Berry from Berry. It has to be a book about Motown, warts and all. That includes payola, firings, and and all the inner workings of what makes a label successful. JERSEY BOYS works, because it's honest. If Berry sugarcoats everything, it will just be jukebox musical

Roberta75
06-17-2012, 01:37 PM
Back on topic, I wonder if the Motown show does get made if the book will be pretty honest and explore both the good and bad of Motown or will it just be an feel good musical?

I think this will make Broadway but not sure about warts and all though.

With Mr. Berry Gordy's name attached to it, I doubt it will turn into a mess like the "Blondie-The Florence Ballad movie" debacle.

Best to you,

Roberta

pbenjamson@aol.com
06-17-2012, 01:45 PM
I realize there are differing opinions on Tony Turner, but he just sent me an e-mail from the afterlife and asked me to send him a link to the NY Post column which said he was dead. I did and he thanked me, so either I have the electronic key to heaven/hell or he lives. Peter Benjaminson.

Roberta75
06-17-2012, 02:18 PM
Alive or dead, Tony Turner is a human piece of shit.

He may have upset a lot of people when he was a member here but I implore everyone to be respectful of the recently departed. I'd like to ask all to reflect on this passage from the good book of John.

"Now there was a man of the Pharisees named Nicodemus, a ruler of the Jews. This man came to Jesus by night and said to him, “Rabbi, we know that you are a teacher come from God, for no one can do these signs that you do unless God is with him.” Jesus answered him, “Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born again he cannot see the kingdom of God.” Nicodemus said to him, “How can a man be born when he is old? Can he enter a second time into his mother's womb and be born?” Jesus answered, “Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born of water and the Spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of God."

If Mr. Turner has indeed passed I'd like to offer up this prayer for his soul.

Lord Jesus, reach out today and take hold of Tony and lift him out of Satan's grasps. Father send the Holy Spirit to him to convict him of his sins and to guide him to You. Lord remove the chains that Satan has put on him that hold him in sin. Father bring salvation and healing to his heart, place Your love inside him that he may know you and take him to heaven where he shall live in eternal peace.

Amen.

Roberta

Jimi LaLumia
06-17-2012, 03:02 PM
I realize there are differing opinions on Tony Turner, but he just sent me an e-mail from the afterlife and asked me to send him a link to the NY Post column which said he was dead. I did and he thanked me, so either I have the electronic key to heaven/hell or he lives. Peter Benjaminson.

if you can, ask him if Norman "Caddilac Man" is ok, and tell him that Jimi , the manager/ DJ of THE BUNKHOUSE in Sayville says hello.. thanks

Roberta75
06-17-2012, 03:12 PM
if you can, ask him if Norman "Caddilac Man" is ok, and tell him that Jimi , the manager/ DJ of THE BUNKHOUSE in Sayville says hello.. thanks

In my opinion I don't believe it is wise to go through mediums to contact the recently departed. I believe it borders on witchcraft and in my faith it is a mortal sin.

If there is any empty space in your life fill it up with the Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.

Yours, with every good wish.

Roberta

Jimi LaLumia
06-17-2012, 04:58 PM
In my opinion I don't believe it is wise to go through mediums to contact the recently departed. I believe it borders on witchcraft and in my faith it is a mortal sin.

If there is any empty space in your life fill it up with the Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.

Yours, with every good wish.

Roberta

I'm not a medium,my dear, I'm an adult small, quite fit and trim, nor am I bewitched,bothered or bewildered... it's obvious that Miss Tony Turner is still ALIVE!!!

luke
06-17-2012, 05:43 PM
ALright now we're back to the good old days! Thought it was too good to last. Someone calling someone a peice of shit and talk of witchcraft. Yipeeeeeee! Btw the Supremes were wearing pinkish sleeveless gowns in the pic in NY Post. Looked a bit like the Hullaballo set

Roberta75
06-17-2012, 07:57 PM
I'm not a medium,my dear, I'm an adult small, quite fit and trim, nor am I bewitched,bothered or bewildered... it's obvious that Miss Tony Turner is still ALIVE!!!

Well if this is true I am happy that Mr. Tony Turner is still alive and with us on God's earth. That said I have no interest in feeding your vain posting about your figure.

The good book of Proverbs rightly states:

"Charm is deceitful, and beauty is vain, but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised."

Respectfully yours.

Roberta

pbenjamson@aol.com
06-17-2012, 07:59 PM
In all seriousness, folks, Tony e-mailed from his home, which is on earth and in the U.S., and told me he is alive and well. I'm not joking. Peter Benjaminson.

Penny
06-17-2012, 08:46 PM
In all seriousness, folks, Tony e-mailed from his home, which is on earth and in the U.S., and told me he is alive and well. I'm not joking. Peter Benjaminson.

Peter Benjaminson, thank you for letting us know that Tony Turner is okay. It must have been quite a surprise for him to read in the paper he was dead.

Is he still married to the Duke? I was just fascinated about that and wondered if the Duke was related to Princess Diana whom I loved so much.

Penny:)

PS
Roberta, thank you for your kind words and you have a blessed day, too.

thommg
06-18-2012, 12:51 PM

Michael Riedel, who wrote the column about Motown for the NY Post is an entertainment gossip columnist. He often gets his facts a little skewered for the sake of something juicy.

jobeterob
06-18-2012, 01:09 PM
It would be nice to see this amount to something. I imagine the concentration will be on Michael Jackson, Diana Ross, Marvin Gaye and Stevie Wonder and it will concentrate on the music rather than the story.

I agree with what Mary Wilson said in that recent interview ~ it's too bad that the Supremes story doesn't make it to film or broadway and get called the Supremes story, using their names and their music; instead of using their album covers and different music and some generic, fairly boring story line.

captainjames
06-18-2012, 01:59 PM
A nice way to preserve the legacy by having it told through the hard times in the 60's through music. This will more than likely flourish in reality with some strong people tied to it. It will be hard to do and not include "Dancing In The Streets," "Stop In The Name of Love", "Ani't No Mountain High Enough," and "Baby I need Your Loving". Congratulations BG but it should not have taken this long.

pbenjamson@aol.com
06-20-2012, 04:43 PM

Actually, Tony says he's still with the Duke and that he's in the process of suing the NY Post.

Roberta75
06-20-2012, 05:19 PM
Actually, Tony says he's still with the Duke and that he's in the process of suing the NY Post.

Really? I thought the first step was to write a letter to the editor and ask for a retraction. If they say no, then you hire a lawyer to talk to them about printing a retraction. If they still say no, then you can sue them for damages.

Please correct correct me if I am wrong.

Roberta

helga
06-20-2012, 05:44 PM

Tony must have incurred some major financial losses, as well as severe emotional distress due to this grave error. I hope Tony sues their pants off.

jobeterob
06-20-2012, 05:44 PM
Roberta: I was hoping your post would say:

"Some things never change"

blueskies
06-20-2012, 05:46 PM
Top Diva=Drama

pbenjamson@aol.com
06-20-2012, 07:42 PM
Actually, in yesterday's Post, Columnist Michael Riedel, who made the original error, touted Tony's two Motown books and urged Gordy to use them in writing his Broadway Motown musical. If Tony sues, he apparently did not consider that adequate compensation...

ejluther
06-20-2012, 08:22 PM
I'd love to see a MOTOWN Musical and think it's long overdue - I read somewhere a while ago that Berry wanted Smokey, Diana, and Stevie to be involved as partners/producers with him but that may have been idle speculation/gossip...

smark21
06-20-2012, 08:23 PM
LOL at Tony Turner suing over a factual inaccuracy. He’s a piece of shit.

Roberta75
06-20-2012, 08:29 PM
Actually, in yesterday's Post, Columnist Michael Riedel, who made the original error, touted Tony's two Motown books and urged Gordy to use them in writing his Broadway Motown musical. If Tony sues, he apparently did not consider that adequate compensation...

Wouldn't that make the Motown Broadway Musical farcical fiction?

Roberta

ejluther
06-20-2012, 09:12 PM
Clearly an olive branch to Turner - did Riedel also refer to Turner as being alive in that column [[even obliquely)?

jobeterob
06-20-2012, 09:21 PM
Someday a real movie about the Supremes will be made and if there are any of us real fans left alive, they will have one of those 15 second characters in the background, a flamboyant, big wigged wing nut trying to dress like Flo and grab at Diana's earring or her used napkins or something; and the few of us left alive will snicker in our wheelchairs and say............"oh that is supposed to be that Tony or Duke or Viscount or goofball or one of those guys that chased after them"