PDA

View Full Version : MARTHA WASH is subject of entire issue of Daeida Magazine [[new photos/big interview)

test

la_soul_david
06-11-2012, 11:53 PM
Greetings Soulful Detroiters,

After featuring Darlene Love, Edna Wright and most recently Mary Wilson on the cover of Daeida Magazine, the latest issue features Miss Martha Wash in a very in-depth interview about her entire life and career. Also featuring a brand new photo shoot. Check it out here: http://daeida.com

FROM Press Release [[June 2012):

DANCE MUSIC LEGEND MARTHA WASH IS A MAGAZINE COVER GIRL!

Dance music’s beloved “Queen of Clubland” kicks off Daeida Magazine’s “Legend” series with the entire June 2012 edition of the monthly print publication dedicated to her legacy as a genuine “living legend” of American dance music.

In an-depth interview and accompanying photo session, Martha Wash [[formerly of “Two Tons O’ Fun,” the “Weather Girls” and “C+C Music Factory”) is honored in a groundbreaking literary portrait and visual essay that celebrates her amazing journey from backup singer to international solo star. Featuring 13 never-before-seen full page photographs including a stunning centerfold from her exclusive photo shoot plus a 25 page article [[including 16 pages of Q&A with the diva), Martha Wash is the sole subject of this landmark collaboration between interviewer David St. Mark and photographer Gor Megaera.

For the first time, Martha Wash opens up about her youth as a bullied “loner” with one determination: to sing. From her start in San Francisco’s “North Beach” scene to meeting “Sylvester” [[the artist who would take her with him to the heights of disco stardom) Martha reveals how she met Izora Armstead – her singing partner in “Two Tons O’ Fun” - and about their reinvention as the “Weather Girls.” Behind-the-scenes stories like the making of the music video for “It’s Raining Men” and the recording of such classics as “Dance [[Disco Heat)” and “Taking Away Your Space” are explored in detail. Wash candidly reflects on the breakup of the “Weather Girls” and recalls breaking the lip-synch scandals behind the biggest hits of “C+C Music Factory” and “Black Box.” Her name finally as recognizable as her voice by the 1990s, Martha Wash endures into the second decade of the 21st century an international dance music icon and authentic American music living legend.

CHECK IT OUT ONLINE [[for free, as always) HERE: http://daeida.com
Note: Click on cover or "Current Issue" link. Issue expands and is best viewed in "Full Screen Mode"

glencro
06-12-2012, 01:27 AM
Great cover...looking forward to reading her story. She's one of my favorites.

la_soul_david
06-15-2012, 01:26 AM
Great cover...looking forward to reading her story. She's one of my favorites.

Hey Glencro,

Martha Wash is definitely one of the most underrated and yet most powerful voices in contemporary music. Have you ever heard her sing "live"? I finally did for this interview and her vocal ability absolutely stunned me, hearing it finally "in the flesh." The gift came so easily, so naturally to her, it was like she didn't need to do more than simply breathe just to make the distinct sound that is her inimitable singing-voice.

In my research, I discovered a solo number from '79 she recorded for the first "Two Tons" album called "Taking Away Your Space." Sylvester James wrote it and Martha recorded it, but why it failed to become as classic as her more commercial material is a crime to her legacy. It's hard to believe that "Taking Away Your Space" has gone as unnoticed as long as it has, but here it is in case you missed it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ux-ElyAKov8

What's your favorite Martha Wash recording?

glencro
06-15-2012, 06:44 AM
la_soul_david, funny that you mentioned "Taking Away Your Space" because that is my favorite song by Martha. I had a chance to see her with a live band and background singers in the mid 90's at our African World Festival here in Detroit. She was incredible. Also, her solo cd featured a nice mixture of ballads, R & B and of course, her signature dance songs. I agree that it's a shame that "Taking Away Your Space" has been virtually unnoticed. Hopefully she's not finish recording. We love the dance songs but she is one of the greatest female balladeers of our time [[she proved that in the duet with Luther on "I Who Have Nothing)

sgianatos
06-16-2012, 07:09 PM
la_soul_david, funny that you mentioned "Taking Away Your Space" because that is my favorite song by Martha. Hopefully she's not finish recording. We love the dance songs but she is one of the greatest female balladeers of our time [[she proved that in the duet with Luther on "I Who Have Nothing)

I have a ballad that I cut with Martha when she and Izora were still THE TONS, but were moments away from becoming THE WEATHER GIRLS.

I intend to release it on a complilation next year. It's a very bluesy song that will surprise many. :o

Rick Gianatos
http://www.nuandimprovedrecords.com

ralpht
06-16-2012, 07:15 PM
Hey Rick,
Be sure and let us know when this CD comes out.

glencro
06-17-2012, 04:31 PM
Rick,
That is definitely something to look forward to. As ralpht said, please keep us posted.