PDA

View Full Version : Berry Gordy is NOT dead!

test

marybrewster
06-08-2012, 02:17 PM
Came across this article, posted in 2011. I don't recall it being discussed here.....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2069695/X-Factor-2011-Louis-Walsh-declares-LIVING-Motown-legend-Berry-Gordy-DEAD.html

X Factor judge Walsh wrongly declares Motown LIVING legend to be deceased

Hapless X Factor judge Louis Walsh made an embarrassing error on tonight's show that may just end his career as judge.

Louis, who has no remaining acts in the competition, left the audience and millions of viewers dumfounded when he claimed Rock and Roll Hall of Fame inductee Berry Gordy was dead.

The confusing statement was made after Misha B, 19, kicked off the show with 1964's Dancing In The Street.

Louis, who is a music producer, praised the Mancunian and said: 'If Berry Gordy were alive, he'd absolutely sign you.'

Berry, who is an American record producer and the founder of the Motown record label, is 82 years old and still alive.

Walsh clearly doesn't have his finger on the pulse because if he had watched the American Music Awards just two weeks ago, he would have seen that Berry is in good health.

Having worked with artists including Michael Jackson, Diana Ross and Smokey Robinson, Berry was a guest at the White House earlier this year for The Sound of Young America: The History of Motown.
Alongside Michelle Obama, he gave a talk to over 100 students on his experiences in the industry.

What makes the faux-pas even more embarrassing for Walsh is that each Motown song performed by the semi-finalists was produced by either Gordy's label, Motown, or Gordy himself.

After Louis' mistake, Berry Gordy's granddaughter took Twitter to set the facts straight.

Mahogany Gordy said: 'Just so EVERYBODY knows my grandfather Berry Gordy is alive & well. Xfactor needs to get their facts straight before saying lies. @LMFAO RT.'

Mahogony, who is related to both members of chart topping group LMFAO, then messaged Gary Barlow and said: '@GBarlowOfficial i really don't appreciate your friend Louis Walsh saying my grandfather Berry Gordy isn't alive.. he is alive and well...'

Berry's granddaughter, who is a a model, actress and DJ, then followed up with scathing post about Louis that said: 'If Berry Gordy were alive, he would sign you to Motown,' Louis Walsh Gordy actually isn't dead. But hopefully your talent judging career is.'

This glaring error displayed Walsh's lack of industry knowledge and will put pressure on the shows bosses to axe the judge before the next series.

marybrewster
06-08-2012, 02:22 PM
Maybe it's just me, but it sounds like Gordy's granddaughter could use a course from the Ms. Powell school of charm.

Granted, I'm sure it's a little upsetting to hear that your grandfather is dead, but maybe someone a little more "professional" could have made a statment, rather than she accusing X-Factor of "lies".

Afterall, we're all entitled to mistakes; just ask Berry himself. Didn't he father Kerry with Raynoma while still married to Thelma?

144man
06-08-2012, 05:31 PM
The topic was discussed in the main forum in December 2011 in a thread titled "Berry Gordy still alive - Shock".

jobeterob
06-08-2012, 05:37 PM
Over the top hysteria and comments are never becoming.

No comment is always wise to consider.

marybrewster
06-08-2012, 10:35 PM
Thank you 144man.

soulster
06-08-2012, 11:10 PM
I highly doubt the judge will be fired. A little embarrassed, maybe, but not fired.

Actually, that's the price veteran music people pay when they quietly retire from the biz and shy away from the media, people think they are deceased. I'm sure that Berry is chuckling about it like he always does whenever it surfaces that someone think's he's dead. I don't think Mahogany's father takes it so seriously. Too bad Mahog doesn't have much of a sense of humor. She could have made a funny tweet.

What would have been funny if Berry would have appeared on the set or been in the audience when Louis Walsh made is comment. :)

144man
06-09-2012, 06:36 AM
It was corrected in the X Factor show which immediately followed the ITV1 programme on ITV2 as they'd received hundreds of emails.

Louis Walsh subsequently made the excuse that he knew quite well that Berry Gordy was still alive, but that what he had said had come out wrong.

soulster
06-09-2012, 09:58 AM
Louis Walsh subsequently made the excuse that he knew quite well that Berry Gordy was still alive, but that what he had said had come out wrong.

Yeah! He was trying to save face.

Penny
06-09-2012, 11:05 AM
The is coming though. I can't stand to think about it.

Penny:eek:

ivyfield
06-09-2012, 01:13 PM
Oh Dear, Y'all now have Louis Walsh? I think it's just a ploy from Mr Cowell to give him a breather from the show. Louis has been dogged by [[alleged) accusations of his 'associations' and I can't say anymore.

stephanie
06-09-2012, 05:19 PM
Berry probably likes the publicity it gave him..I hope.