test

marybrewster
06-08-2012, 01:58 PM
Here is the lyric:

Now come on kids, I want you to gather around me, and fold your legs on the
floor. And we're gonna tell the story about the first Christmas. Alright,
Chico, open your book. Joy, Berry, Terry, everybody open your book and we're
gonna sing the song. And when I say "Ding and Dong", I want you to say the same
with me. Alright ready? Aaha now, open your books. Good, let's go, yeah. Now!

Silly question:

Why do you suppose only [[Hazel) Joy, Berry and Terry [[the children of Berry Gordy) were mentioned in the song? By its release, Berry had six children: Hazel Joy [[1954), Berry [[1955), Terry [[1956), Kerry [[1959), Sherry, and Kennedy [[1964).

And how does Chico factor into the mix?

BigAl
06-08-2012, 02:09 PM
I guess Diane's brother, Chico, was there and she wanted to single him out. As for why more of Gordy's kids aren't named, perhaps they were not there, being younger, or perhaps it would have just been too long a string of names to go through and might have thrown off the rhythm. Or perhaps it was because only those three's names were used in creating the "Jobete" acronym. Just guessing.

marybrewster
06-08-2012, 02:58 PM
Or perhaps it was because only those three's names were used in creating the "Jobete" acronym.

Makes sense to me.

Just one of those quirky things that pops into your brain, LOL.

carlo
06-09-2012, 04:29 PM
Maybe Diana told the rest of the kids to shutup? :)

carlo
06-09-2012, 04:38 PM
I heard she locked the rest of the children in a closet, along with Mary and Flo...

masterblaster
06-11-2012, 10:10 AM
I actually think that this is the worse single released by the Supremes and probaly Motown. The lyrics are so trite and Diana sounds so rediculous I just cringe when this record comes on. I think it spoiled a decent Christmas album, does anyone agree?

skooldem1
06-11-2012, 10:38 AM
I heard she locked the rest of the children in a closet, along with Mary and Flo...

Carlo- Was that necessary? The minute someone makes a joke about Mary, or Martha, everyone gets their panties in a bunch. Jokes about Diana- totally allowed. Pot meet kettle. No more whining when someone says something you don't like about any other Motown artist.

carlo
06-11-2012, 10:41 AM
Oh, but I wasn't joking, Skooldem. It's 100% true.

skooldem1
06-11-2012, 10:42 AM
of course.....

Glenpwood
06-11-2012, 11:14 AM
I just know that if you gathered up a bunch of kids today and told them to sing about Ding Dongs you would probably end up on a sexual offenders list.... hence why this song never gets covered today. ;)

jobeterob
06-11-2012, 11:25 AM
This song is a little bit too simple and maybe gimmicky with all the spoken words..........but it still gets play at Christmas and its simplicity can be appealing.

In a sense Mary and Florence were locked away from this ~ this was 1965 I think and they were already nowhere to be found on the LP.

Ya, too many guys in panties = too much time and trouble.

jobeterob
06-11-2012, 12:31 PM
Good one Glen. Well, at least they are talking "Ding Dongs". If we get into Dongs and Panties, there's trouble.

johnjeb
06-11-2012, 07:12 PM
I actually think that this is the worse single released by the Supremes and probaly Motown. The lyrics are so trite and Diana sounds so rediculous I just cringe when this record comes on. I think it spoiled a decent Christmas album, does anyone agree?

Agree 100%.

But my mother, now 83, has loved it since 1965. That and Twinkle, Twinkle Little Me, which I also love.

captainjames
06-18-2012, 02:32 PM
Well, I am not 83 but around when the song was actually released as a single and still love it to this day. It was a good song for kids and young at heart. I agree with the Jobete way of thinking and why only those three children were mentioned. As far as her brother being mentioned was because he was there at the time of the recording, I would imagine.