PDA

View Full Version : DRATS Covers especially I Can't Help Myself

test

honest man
06-06-2012, 03:21 PM
Hello folks been playing the 4Tops today it got me thinking about DRATS when i was listening to it,do you think HDH had DRATS In mind when they wrote this song so Supremes especially on the FOUREVER cd,although the tops version wins hands down,would love to hear DRATS VERSION WITH THE 4 TOPS Instrumental backing ,the GOGO version does nothing for their version[MIDNITE JOHNNIE Where are ya.]Talking off covers i don't know who's version wins between Vandellas-4 tops Darling i hum our song both excellent productions,any takers. cheers.

mowest
06-06-2012, 07:25 PM
I always thought the instrumental tracks for "Supremes A Go Go" were second rate. Is it certain that's the Funk Brothers? I don't get it.

BayouMotownMan
06-06-2012, 08:46 PM
The reason some of the songs on A Go Go seem lackluster is because many were recorded in LA. It's easy to figure which ones they were. I hear the Funk Bros on Baby I Need Your Loving and Put Yourself In My Place but the others are too glossy to be them. Perhaps it is they on This Old Heart Of Mine and Get Ready but it sure doesn't really sound like them.

smark21
06-06-2012, 08:57 PM
A-Go-Go is not a very good album because of the weak arrangements and playing on many of the cover songs. Some of the cuts sound like they one take and then it was on to the next. I do like Shake Me Wake Me When It’s Over. I think it’s better than the 4 Tops version.

bradsupremes
06-06-2012, 09:58 PM
I think if HDH produced every cut then it would have been a solid album. The LA tracks are too pop sounding. Not my favorite sound, but I think it helped the album sail to number one on the charts. I enjoy it as it's an upbeat, dance kind of album although most of the covers are weak. "Baby I Need Your Loving," "This Old Heart of Mine [[Is Weak For You)," and "Shake Me, Wake Me [[When It's Over)" are the strongest of the covers. I would have exchanged songs on the album for the ones that weren't included.

For example, I think it would have been a better if the album looked like this:
SIDE ONE
01.) Love Is Like An Itching In My Heart
02.) This Old Heart Of Mine [[Is Weak For You)
03.) You Can't Hurry Love
04.) Shake Me, Wake Me [[When It's Over)
05.) Baby I Need Your Loving
06.) Come On And See Me

SIDE TWO
01.) Mother Dear
02.) Get Ready
03.) Put Yourself In My Place
04.) In My Lonely Room
05.) Come And Get These Memories
06.) Going Down For The Third Time

thisoldheart
06-07-2012, 06:20 AM
like your listing above bradsupremes, but would loose "get ready", and if it had been recorded in time, put in "remove this doubt", thereby keeping it an h/d/h album. but, then what would go on the "supremes sing h/d/h"?

almost think hip-o-select would do well combining "a go-go" and "h/d/h" as they are almost like part one and two of mostly h/d/h and iffy non motown covers that were recorded at different times and piled into these two similar albums. i'll be surprized to see if they can dig up enough material to warrant two discs for each album. hmmm?