PDA

View Full Version : Mary Can't Remember Names of Some Seventies Supremes In Pt 2 Of Interview

test

milven
06-05-2012, 08:28 PM
This is the second part of a long interview with Mary. The interview was conducted recently during Black Music Month. She says that many songs were recorded without her. She does not blame Diana for that decision. She says the group was over when Flo left and totally over when Diana left. That kinda sounds like a put down of the seventies Supremes, but then she goes on to explain that the magic and synergy of the original group was gone and could not be duplicated. She says that the Seventies Supremes were good for her because it gave her an opportunity to learn how to sing since before that she was just doing background. She says that she was kind of running the group by then , I guess, with Pedro.

She kind of pulled an Ed Sullivan when he could not remember the name of The Supremes and said, "Here they are, the girls". Mary was naming the Seventies Supremes and had trouble remembering Susaye and Lynda. She called them "two other girls" but finally recalled Susaye and later in the interview remembered Lynda. It was kinda funny. Don't forget, she is a senior citizen now and is allowed to have a senior moment once in a while.

She says she is not a great singer but is a great performer but then corrects herself and says that she found her niche now.

She says that after she left the group that the other two still wanted to continue but then someone realized that it was time to stop.

She talks about Motown 45 and says that it was a mistake and not a good show for her, Cindy and Kelly to do.

The interview is about half an hour long and is the second part of an interview that is posted in another thread .

http://ca.music.yahoo.com/blogs/hip-hop-media-training/mary-wilson-supremes-dreamgirls-sparkle-diana-ross-kelly-205307251.html

BayouMotownMan
06-05-2012, 08:56 PM
Well, it wasn't as bad when I saw the clip as I thought it was gonna be when I read the post. Mary Wilson doesn't get asked so much about the latter ladies and is not in touch with Lynda at all, but at least she pushed herself to finally remember Lynda's name to give her credit for being in the group.

It's called getting older. Father Time, medications, etc., take a toll on all of us. I have gone to family reunions, hugging and kissing relatives whose faces I knew but I could not recall their names until later, or until somebody told me. Out of sight is out of mind. Mary talks about Flo and Diana everyday. If she had forgotten their names I'd be more concerned.

What I especially appreciated from her candor, which she always has, is giving Jean Terrell the recognition she so rarely gets.

franjoy56
06-05-2012, 11:29 PM
Mary, named all of the 70's Supremes it is just that Lynda's name sort of slipped her memory for a moment they were named in this order Cindy, Jean, Scherrie, Susaye, Lynda hmmmm. and yes she praised Jean for giving the supremes the hits, even though it was not the same after a period of time.

jobeterob
06-05-2012, 11:56 PM
Very good interview; very frank and realistic. YAH Mary Wilson.

Whitney Houston's last movie "Sparkle" will be released in August and tells the story of three sisters from Detroit and their pursuit of singing careers. The remake of the 1976 film and another project, the "Dreamgirls" movie and play, are based, to some extent, on the story of The Supremes.

The Supremes member Mary Wilson has mixed feelings about the works. "I think it's wonderful to be emulated and liked so much that people want to do that," she said during part two of an exclusive video interview with Yahoo! Music to celebrate Black Music Month. "And I got to say that I adore 'Dreamgirls.' And though 'Sparkle' was very good, in fact, they have the new one coming out with Whitney Houston and Jordin, she's wonderful, too. But the thing is, Why didn't they make a story out of my book? It's a real story. A true story.

"So even though I love 'Dreamgirls,' the thing is Why didn't they say this is about The Supremes? Maybe, they didn't want to pay someone? But they used all of our history, all of our legacy. They used it. It's hard because it was a beautiful project, a documentation of what was. If it wasn't about us, I would say, 'Yes it's great.' I can't say I hate it because I don't. But it's not fair because if I want to do a movie based on The Supremes, I couldn't do it because it's already been done."

Wilson did find one way to capitalize off of the 1981 "Dreamgirls" Broadway production. "I named my book 'Dreamgirl [My Life As A Supreme']' after I saw the play. Well, if they didn't pay me or Diane or anyone for using our images, then, I can probably use that name, and it was a best seller, too."

[Part 1: Mary Wilson On Being Dubbed 'The No Hit Supremes' And Never Liking Their First No. 1 Hit 'Where Did Our Love Go']

Mary Wilson [[photo: Derick Tortorella)One of the roughest stages for The Supremes was the firing of Florence Ballard in 1967 during their dates at the Flamingo Hotel in Las Vegas. For Wilson, that signaled the end.

"The group was over when Florence left," Wilson said. "For me, the group was over. [Then] a lot of times recordings were being made, maybe if I was not there, they would go on and do it. And then, 'Well, OK. Nobody's on the there but Diane.' But not her fault, either. But I'm just saying, the machine was going, going on. For me it was the end when Florence left. Then, when Diane left it was totally over."

Ballard was originally the lead singer of the group. When the Motown executives made Ross the voice, the friction among the members ensued. A frustrated Ballard began drinking heavily, gaining weight and being disgruntled which ultimately lead to her termination.

Dealing with Ballard's departure was tough for Wilson." It's a little harder being in a girl group," she said. "Guys can be in a group and fight and come back and be buddies." Wilson said Ballard, who was abused as a child, struggled to deal with the group's problems.

The Supremes"Diane and I thought that fame would take care of it, unfortunately it did not," Wilson said. "What happened was everything that would happen in the group that was kinda negative or whatever, she couldn't handle that. That's when she started drinking. She couldn't cope with what was going on. It was a tough time for me."

Despite the revolving member changes in the group, Wilson said The Supremes were never able to capture their old chemistry. "I learned that after the original group it was never ever the same," she said. "The magic we had, the synergy was just so … it was like we must of played that before we came here."

Wilson said she was instrumental in calling for The Supremes to close shop in 1977. Though she was eager to move into the next phase of her career, she was nervous.

"I was totally scared," she said. "I was very afraid. But, at the same time, I love doing this. I can't stop because everyone else stopped. I know I don't have the same great voice like Diane or Jean [Terrell, who replaced Ross]. But, I enjoy performing, and I'm a great performer. I may not be a great singer, but I am a great performer."

Wilson said it was not easy establishing herself as a solo artist after The Supremes ended and she compares her plight to former Destiny's Child member Kelly Rowland.

"She's finding her niche, coming out of a group and is a beautiful individual," Wilson said about Rowland. "It's very difficult, but it can be done … You've got to really want to do that and that way it will work."

Like The Supremes became centered about Ross, Rowland's group Destiny's Child was headed by Beyonce. "Same as our situation," Wilson said. "No one thought I was going to be out there doing what I've done."

Though Wilson and Ross' differences have been discussed in the media over the years, Wilson said they do care about each other. "Being girls is not easy. Not easy to communicate and stay friends when you got your boyfriend, husband, the company. You got all these things coming at you. It's not the kind of thing that keeps you together. Our friendship kinda ended after. We were friends first. We went through all these great things together and then pretty soon it did whatever. But it was never animosity between us. We really, really love each other, still do. But maybe Diane and I are not close, but we still love each other. It's just she went her way and I had to go this way, and that's it."

Wilson is keeping busy. She has a new CD, "Life's Been Good To Me," that has reteamed her with Motown's famous Holland-Dozier-Holland camp. She's promoting the re-release of "The Supremes At The Copa" and she is starring in the tribute review, "Lena Horne Project."

Wilson hopes The Supremes are remembered for their accomplishments. "I think we were one of the greatest groups in terms of achieving certain things, certainly not in terms of voice, because The Pointer Sisters for me is my favorite group," she said. "We were just great friends. People forget that. We were great friends."

The Supremes are the spotlight group this month in Yahoo! Music's Best Soul Girl Groups Of All Time tribute for Black Music Month. A different act will be profiled everyday. The list includes African American women from a variety of genres — R&B, pop, gospel and rap — who were trailblazers and paved the way for those who followed.

stephanie
06-06-2012, 05:59 AM
The interviewer was not that great he was ok but this is one of the most candid and honest interviews I have seen Mary give. I have the feeling if he had spoken a little more and had some tact in asking about the friction within the group she could have told him more. What was interesting is she gave credit to Jean Terrell and mentioned the things that were happening were not Diana's fault and things of that nature. First interview I have heard where she was able to talk about her personal projects [[gown collection, Lena Horne tribute, Up Close and Personal Show) all at one time. I liked this and her excitement over the Supremes at the Copa.

REDHOT
06-06-2012, 08:07 AM
It's just my opinion,Mary Wilson's voice is just as good as Diana's or Jean's, all 3 ladies voices have a different styles of singing,Mary has a style of singing,that i like,it's a matter of taste,and what you like,Mary should never say that,because Mary is a hella singer entertainer,and let's not leave out Scherrie Payne and Susaye Greene,all these ladies can sing,and have been singing for a long time,the more you sing,the better you sing,working year in,and year out,without a hit record, Mary Wilson is INCREDIBLE
Please stay positive

BigAl
06-06-2012, 09:12 AM
I have always drawn a distinction between "singers" and "song stylists." "Singers" are technically exact, possessed of things like perfect pitch, ability to project and whatnot. "Song stylists" don't necessarily possess these attributes but, rather, take songs and make them personal. [[Ella was a singer; Billie was a song stylist. Doris Day was a singer; Peggy Lee was a song stylist. And the list goes on.) Mary is a song stylist, and a damned good one, as evidenced by her Up Close & Personal act.

As for lapses of memory, Mary has always had difficulty pulling up names and memories of past events. Some people, especially right-brainers [[and I include myself here), are hard-wired a little differently and we access past information in a different way. When called upon to recall something specific, especially in something like an interview situation, we often draw a blank, if only momentarily. Mary does this quite often not only in spoken interviews but with song lyrics as well. [[Diane does this, too.) I think it's a matter of natural brain chemistry rather than senility or insensitivity.

milven
06-06-2012, 09:19 AM
It's just my opinion,Mary Wilson's voice is just as good as Diana's or Jean's, all 3 ladies voices have a different styles of singing,Mary has a style of singing,that i like,it's a matter of taste,and what you like,Mary should never say that,because Mary is a hella singer entertainer,

I agree and I think Mary does too. As the original post above says, she did backtrack and correct herself in the interview.

...She says she is not a great singer but is a great performer but then corrects herself and says that she found her niche now...[url]
I think that after doing ooohs and ahhhs and baby babies for half a decade, she lost confidence in her ability to sing lead.
When she is given the correct song and correct arrangement, she is dynamite on stage especially now that she has the confidence and belief in herself. In fact, most singers voices seem to get a little weaker as they age. I would love to hear Mary sing some of "her" Supreme songs like I KEEP IT HID in her act. As good as the recording was, I bet she could do it even better now.

captainjames
06-06-2012, 09:39 AM
Bravo Mary!!!
What I really loved about this interview is probably the realization that Ms. Wilson knows the friendship ended. This is the first time I heard it put this way that after the company, marriage, boyfriends and going their separate ways that the love will always be there but the girlfriend thing is over. I think a healing process has taken place. Good for her.

ejluther
06-06-2012, 11:01 AM
These are great interviews and, with all due respect, highlighting her momentary loss of memory in the thread's title seems way besides the point. Regardless, thanks for the link - the interview is terrific!

milven
06-06-2012, 11:19 AM
These are great interviews and, with all due respect, highlighting her momentary loss of memory in the thread's title seems way besides the point. Regardless, thanks for the link - the interview is terrific!

I agree with you, but I highlighted her momentary loss of memory on purpose. I used the headline as a hook so that the whole interview would be listened to. By the time you got to that part of the interview, you were hooked and listened to all of it. It's a different kind of interview. She was candid and friendly.

I do have a question about the interviewer. At first I found him a little annoying. He didn't ask many follow up questions and mostly ""mmmm Hmmmm - ed " through most of her talking. But on second thought , I felt that maybe without him asking a lot and just making her talk, she offered more information.

ejluther
06-06-2012, 11:48 AM
I highlighted her momentary loss of memory on purpose. I used the headline as a
hook so that the whole interview would be listened to. By the time you got to
that part of the interview, you were hooked and listened to all of it.
Well, then your plan worked perfectly on me! ;)

I agree that I liked his style of letting her open up and not trying to jump in too much...

jobeterob
06-06-2012, 01:18 PM
It seemed clear to me that the Supreme's failure to win a Grammy has hurt Mary. It is unfortunate that in the 60's, there were many fewer Grammys awarded ~ nothing like the hundreds of Grammys issued in the 1990s and 2000s [[until they recently reduced the categories). And this was very true in the years when the Supremes first hit it big ~ when they might have won Grammys.

milven
06-06-2012, 01:40 PM
The Grammies themselves were only about eight years old when the Beatles and the Supremes hit it big. The grammies kind of snubbed their nose at Rock and Soul and were still middle of the road. Andy Williams was the constant host. It took them a while to realize that Rock and Soul was music too.

skooldem1
06-06-2012, 01:53 PM
I didn't read/see this interview. Does Mary really talk about Grammies? Has she ever mentioned the Grammy Supreme Snub before, or did this all come after Diana got hers?

honest man
06-06-2012, 03:28 PM
What joy it was to hear Mary and Flo at the Copa,today,so clearly especially on Enjoy Yourself,thank you to everyone for their input in these expanded releases,waited a lifetime , cheers.

Jimi LaLumia
06-06-2012, 03:40 PM
Gordy stayed out of the RIAA/Grammy end of the business and as a result, 60's Motown didn't get many Grammies AT ALL!...

ivyfield
06-06-2012, 04:08 PM
This is the second part of a long interview with Mary. The interview was conducted recently during Black Music Month. She says that many songs were recorded without her. She does not blame Diana for that decision. She says the group was over when Flo left and totally over when Diana left. That kinda sounds like a put down of the seventies Supremes, but then she goes on to explain that the magic and synergy of the original group was gone and could not be duplicated. She says that the Seventies Supremes were good for her because it gave her an opportunity to learn how to sing since before that she was just doing background. She says that she was kind of running the group by then , I guess, with Pedro.

She kind of pulled an Ed Sullivan when he could not remember the name of The Supremes and said, "Here they are, the girls". Mary was naming the Seventies Supremes and had trouble remembering Susaye and Lynda. She called them "two other girls" but finally recalled Susaye and later in the interview remembered Lynda. It was kinda funny. Don't forget, she is a senior citizen now and is allowed to have a senior moment once in a while.

She says she is not a great singer but is a great performer but then corrects herself and says that she found her niche now.

She says that after she left the group that the other two still wanted to continue but then someone realized that it was time to stop.

She talks about Motown 45 and says that it was a mistake and not a good show for her, Cindy and Kelly to do.

The interview is about half an hour long and is the second part of an interview that is posted in another thread .

http://ca.music.yahoo.com/blogs/hip-hop-media-training/mary-wilson-supremes-dreamgirls-sparkle-diana-ross-kelly-205307251.html

Well, so long as she remembers Shantel & Kaaaaaren - that's all that matters, isn't it?

ivyfield
06-06-2012, 04:20 PM
It's just my opinion,Mary Wilson's voice is just as good as Diana's or Jean's, all 3 ladies voices have a different styles of singing,Mary has a style of singing,that i like,it's a matter of taste,and what you like,Mary should never say that,because Mary is a hella singer entertainer,and let's not leave out Scherrie Payne and Susaye Greene,all these ladies can sing,and have been singing for a long time,the more you sing,the better you sing,working year in,and year out,without a hit record, Mary Wilson is INCREDIBLE
Please stay positive

Redhot. I'm writing this and genuinely considering your [[above) comments. In the 70's and 80's I thought Wilson was a FABULOUS singer until I took a good friend to see her in concert. She said to me after the show 'Are your ears blocked?' and I immediately responded [[very upset) that I didn't understand what she meant. My friend said LISTEN - really LISTEN. I'd recorded the show that night as usual and when I stripped away the "Ooh, but she's a Supreme" nonsense I completely accepted my friends advice. Mary isn't in Jean or Diana's league. She just isn't.

carlo
06-06-2012, 04:34 PM
Ivyfield aka Steve, you may think Mary is not a great singer, but RedHot is also entitled to their opinion. I also know that you are not all that fond of Mary due to your involvement with and loyalties to the FLOS, which is fine. You even went as far as to post a video of Mary singing, "Simply the Best" on Youtube, in order to cast her singing in a negative light. You posted the video with the title, "Simply the Best ???", so it's clear what you were trying to demonstrate. Not only is the recording not representative of Mary's voice and talents, the recording also sounds slowed down, making it that much more non-representative of a typical performance that Mary would usually give.

I see where this discussion is going. First someone made mention of the Grammy topic as bait. They mentioned the possibility of Mary being bitter in regards to The Supremes never receiving the award, only because Diana was recently honoured. This is completely false. Mary congratulated Diana on her award a few months ago.

Now people are criticizing her singing ability. Funny how these individuals who are making these criticisms are not fans of Mary's to begin with. They only like visiting these topics to stir the pot, rather than to contribute anything meaningful. It's just the same old routine. [[YAWN).

milven
06-06-2012, 05:26 PM
I didn't read/see this interview. Does Mary really talk about Grammies? Has she ever mentioned the Grammy Supreme Snub before, or did this all come after Diana got hers?
The link to the interviews is posted in each thread. Watch them to see if she really talks about the Grammies. And yes, both Mary and Diana have mentioned in interviews that the Supremes never received Grammies. Usually , in response to a question by the interviewer.

jobeterob
06-06-2012, 08:20 PM
Perhaps it is true that Motown suffered from a lack of Grammys in the early years because Berry kept his distance from officialdom. But there were very few Grammys to be won in the early years by anyone. The Beatles never got their share either.

Yes, Mary does talk about the Grammys. And I think she does have a hurt reaction to the question; I don't know if she was asked this after Diana received the Lifetime Achievement Award ~ I assume so. You'll hear what Mary has to say about subsequent awards ~ you can decide who she is referring to but it could be Diana. But it made me think of when Oprah asked Diana about the lack of a Grammy ~ and I think Diana was somewhat hurt by the slight as well [[not Oprah's but the Grammys slight).

You need to listen to the whole interview..........both interviews.

It is very enlightening. But it won't be liked by all SD participants because Mary contradicts several of the viewpoints commonly espoused here on several issues of Supreme history.

She even says she needs to apologize to Kelly Rowland for how badly that Supremes reunion with Cindy Birdsong went off; she doesn't specifically say what she thought was so bad about it, but it was suggested at the time that it was nearly pulled from the show because it wasn't a good performance.

Mary calls it as she sees it.

smark21
06-06-2012, 08:54 PM
Mary was asked about the Grammys in the interview, she didn’t bring it up. Plus she publically congratulated Diana on her grammy a few months ago. Sadly there are “fans” who want to find any excuse to carry on the Diana vs. Mary wars when it’s obvious both women have moved far beyond those matters.

bradsupremes
06-06-2012, 09:05 PM
It is completely understandable that Diana and Mary would be hurt by the Grammy's. The Supremes are the most successful American vocal group of all-time. They had an incredible run with so many timeless songs. In the 60's, they had everything except the one thing in which their peers give. Jobeterob is correct though when it comes to the small amount of awards given and who actually won the awards. It wasn't until the 70's that the Grammy's began to give awards to more Rock/Pop/Soul acts. In the 60's they were still under the influence of awarding people like Frank Sinatra, Louis Armstrong, Barbra Streisand, etc. The 1968 Grammy's was the first year which Song of the Year, Record of the Year, and Album of the Year were all awarded to big name pop/rock acts.

It's hard to believe they were only nominated twice and for nothing after 1965. "You Keep Me Hangin' On," "Love Is Here And Now You're Gone," "Reflections," "Love Child," "Someday We'll Be Together," as well as 70's classics like "Stoned Love" were all deserving of nominations. To think that "Baby Love," and "Stop! In The Name of Love" were the only songs to get nominated and then nothing after would be hurtful. It doesn't help when the Grammy Foundation completely ignores the Supremes in any sort of tributes or Lifetime Achievement Awards. Forget all the hooey about people saying they won't get one because of the drama and the fans fighting, that's not the point. The Supremes should have gotten a Lifetime Achievement Awards years ago. I firmly believe that they have never been given the recognition for their accomplishments. They give tributes to the Beatles right and left. A good friend once said "Aretha Franklin could fart on a record and they would give her a Grammy, but the Supremes? None!" Not to be recognized by the music industry and your peers is painful. Even though Diana now has a Lifetime Achievement Award, I'm sure it hurts her to know that the Supremes as well her own work would never awarded in their time.

carlo
06-06-2012, 09:59 PM
I think The Supremes have had a lack of awards due to the perception that is/was out there in the industry. We fans [[myself included) obviously adore The Supremes. We know and believe that they were true and talented artists, and they were. However, I think the perception that has been out there is that The Supremes were not real artists. They were and maybe still aren't regarded as being on the same level as greats like Aretha Franklin and The Beatles. I totally disagree with this perception, but unfortunately I think this is the way in which they've been regarded for many years. The industry seems to think of them as a commercial bubble-gum type of manufactured package, created by the Motown machine, with a lead singer who had a kittenish type of voice. Unfortunately, I also think that The Supremes' reputation and image of glamour and elegance has also contributed to this. When people think of The Supremes, they immediately think of glamour and sophistication, which in my opinion, has overshadowed the fact that they were also a group of three distinct, talented and versatile vocalists. However, when people think of an artist like Aretha Franklin, they automatically think of things like "Respect", "The Queen of Soul", songwriter, one of the greatest vocalists, etc. When people think of The Beatles, they think of labels like musicians, songwriters, a group who changed the musical landscape of the 1960's. I don't think people think that way about The Supremes, which is unfortunate. They think of their glamour and their fun and catchy hit singles from the 60's, but they have never been recognized as serious artists. This may explain the lack of recognition, awards and accolades. Hopefully that will change. The Rock N' Roll Hall of Fame recognized the Supremes' artistic impact and The Grammy's have acknowledged Diana's artistic impact. One can only hope there is more to come.

skooldem1
06-06-2012, 10:11 PM
They were recognized at the Rock Hall of Fame early on. That showed respect.

jobeterob
06-07-2012, 01:03 AM
I agree with what you guys say; I think the glamour in the end "took away" from the music somewhat. And the Supremes opened the doors and there were few Grammys to give at the time they were opening the doors.

But I do believe there have been a lot of recent awards ~ it's just that most of the recent ones and the big ones went to Diana ~ Soul Train Award of Merit, BET Award of Merit, Kennedy Centre Honor, Grammy Lifetime Achievement Award. There really aren't any more to win. And she did get a lot of American Music Awards.

But it doesn't change that "in their time", they were overlooked and then Diana, "in her time", also didn't win.

When Oprah asked Diana about the lack of a Grammy, I think the response showed she was keeping a tough upper lip. I've often wondered if Oprah didn't use her influence to help Diana get the Lifetime Achievement Award. In the Mary Wilson interview, I believe you can see the same kind of discomfort ~ and that has not yet been rectified.

I agree with Mary that she is a performer foremost and she knows how to put on a show.

jobeterob
06-07-2012, 01:25 AM
Courtesy of John Lester.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=teVcRQ6uls4&feature=relmfu

jobeterob
06-07-2012, 02:02 AM
The above is supposed to Showcase Blue Moon & Manhattan.

But here is another rare, high quality live version of I Hear A Symphony.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMkdO3BpnuM&feature=related

smark21
06-07-2012, 07:42 AM
Also Berry/Motown pushing the Supremes to the middle of the road with that Copa/Vegas act they were doing probably didn’t help once the Grammys opened up and started to give awards to the Rock and contemporary pop acts. In a way, The Supremes were going in reverse as the Grammys moved on from honoring the Andy Williams and Perry Comos.

jobeterob
06-07-2012, 11:23 AM
The years the Supremes were leaders and innovative were 1964 to 1967. That is when they would have won Grammys.

jeff9nyc
06-07-2012, 12:10 PM
The years the Supremes were leaders and innovative were 1964 to 1967. That is when they would have won Grammys.

Ahhh excuse me...Love Child? Someday We'll Be Together?

jobeterob
06-07-2012, 02:37 PM
I very much agree that those songs should have been considered and many of Diana's single recordings should have won.

But by 1968, Motown was no longer at the forefront of change and innovation, nor was it seen as new. As I recall, Love Child was criticized as a little bit too little, too late when it came to being socially relevant.

Why Someday We'll be Together would be overlooked, I can't explain.

I think a lot of it is that there was no expectation or realization that the music would be timeless and would continue selling and being played; nor was there an understanding or perception that Ross would be so successful, do movies and continue working successfully for 50 years.

Instead the Grammys rewarded people that you never heard of again a couple of years later.

rod_rick
06-08-2012, 01:48 PM
Ivyfield aka Steve, you may think Mary is not a great singer, but RedHot is also entitled to their opinion. I also know that you are not all that fond of Mary due to your involvement with and loyalties to the FLOS, which is fine. You even went as far as to post a video of Mary singing, "Simply the Best" on Youtube, in order to cast her singing in a negative light. You posted the video with the title, "Simply the Best ???", so it's clear what you were trying to demonstrate. Not only is the recording not representative of Mary's voice and talents, the recording also sounds slowed down, making it that much more non-representative of a typical performance that Mary would usually give.

I see where this discussion is going. First someone made mention of the Grammy topic as bait. They mentioned the possibility of Mary being bitter in regards to The Supremes never receiving the award, only because Diana was recently honoured. This is completely false. Mary congratulated Diana on her award a few months ago.

Now people are criticizing her singing ability. Funny how these individuals who are making these criticisms are not fans of Mary's to begin with. They only like visiting these topics to stir the pot, rather than to contribute anything meaningful. It's just the same old routine. [[YAWN).

Carlo
you make a good point with your post. I finally listend to the interview for myself and I have to say, Mary is pretty honest about a lot of things. She said she wasn't a good singer but a great performer. Mary is a good singer, but she is a GREAT PERFORMER. I've witnessed first hand some of the ladies doing their thing at their best and also have seen and heard some not so good performances. I saw Mary perform once and she was not in the best voice, but I will tell you, she made up for it performance wise. One of the best shows I've seen by her. She struggled with the voice, but the overall performance was so good you didn't focus on the vocals. I also understand what she meant saying the group was over after Diana left. It wasn't that the ladies were not talented, it was too many other things were involved in the business and she was correct that they never reclaimed the same accolades after Diana was gone. Very good interview, I don't feel she slighted anyone in this interview, but I've been reading else where that she did. I wonder do the other ladies feel slighted or is it just some fans? I guess we will have to wait for Scherrie, Lynda and the others to interviewed about the Supremes

Penny
06-08-2012, 03:19 PM
I can't remember everyone's name that I worked with in the seventies either!

Penny:p

jobeterob
06-08-2012, 05:43 PM
I totally agree ~ Mary didn't slight anyone in or out of the group. She just said what she thinks and laid out some of what worked and what didn't work.

Many of the people that worked around Motown and the Supremes have said before that the group was over in 1967 and while it wasn't over in name, in fact Diana was recording alone, working alone or with Berry while the group performed live together.

rod_rick
06-08-2012, 06:04 PM

You would think that Mary totally dissed the other singers. Not a full minute went back by when she " the other lady was Lynda Lawrence". Mary is 68 so she did good to remember as much as she did :)

skooldem1
06-08-2012, 06:10 PM

Sometimes I can't remember names of people I work with now.

rovereab
06-08-2012, 06:51 PM
Shame that it is that the Supremes didn't win awards I feel that the best recognition the group has is that they are still popular, their songs are well known across the world and there is enough interest in them to spark debate on Forums like this!

Their music and image will live on for many years, can't get better than that!

jobeterob
06-08-2012, 10:00 PM
They created and defined the image of the black girl group; since their time, no other group has redefined it.

They remain the most popular, most newsworthy of the Motown groups.

The business with Mary forgetting one name for a minute was insignificant, as everyone is pointing out.

What is important is her reasoned, distanced, rational and honest view of the history; not all of Mary's interviews have been happy and comfortable; this time she appeared to me to be at peace, with the one exception of acknowledging the slight by the Grammys.

jillfoster
06-08-2012, 11:38 PM
Also Berry/Motown pushing the Supremes to the middle of the road with that Copa/Vegas act they were doing probably didn’t help once the Grammys opened up and started to give awards to the Rock and contemporary pop acts. In a way, The Supremes were going in reverse as the Grammys moved on from honoring the Andy Williams and Perry Comos.

You know, I completely agree with this statement.

ivyfield
06-09-2012, 01:09 PM

No, don't buy the 'forgetting' Lynda and Susaye. Make up your own minds why.

carlo
06-09-2012, 04:33 PM
She named both Lynda and Susaye. Quit trying to make something out of nothing. If Mary had remembered all of their names at the drop of a hat and ended up coughing after she said their names, I'm sure some fans would try to make a big deal out of that too.

144man
06-09-2012, 04:38 PM
I'm inclined to give her the benefit of the doubt. I also have difficulty remembering names instantly.

bradsupremes
06-09-2012, 06:20 PM
No, don't buy the 'forgetting' Lynda and Susaye. Make up your own minds why.

For the longest time the FLOS kept forgetting Barbara Martin was a Supreme. An original Supreme to be exact. I guess there's lots of "forgetting" going around between the ladies...

I wish people would quit making mountains out of molehills.

westgrandboulevard
06-09-2012, 06:51 PM
144man

I couldn't agree more.

My partner and I have been together for 33 years, and now have an average age of 65.

Unfortunately, at the rate we're going, we shall soon need to be introduced to one another on the landing each morning....

blueskies
06-09-2012, 07:25 PM
144man

I couldn't agree more.

My partner and I have been together for 33 years, and now have an average age of 65.

Well, look at it this way....you get to meet 'new' people every day!

Unfortunately, at the rate we're going, we shall soon need to be introduced to one another on the landing each morning....

Well, look at it this way.............you get to 'meet' new people every day!

johnjeb
06-09-2012, 09:52 PM
I think it must be hard to recall a lot of things during an interview. We've heard it many times when artists give the wrong dates or some details seem to be sketchy. Getting older doesn't help with recall.

As I've posted on this Forum before, I once heard a LIVE radio interview here in Boston from about 1996 when Diana Ross referred to her replacement as Scherrie Terrell! She struggled with the name so I think she knew she wasn't getting it right. She never corrected the name if she did recall it.

It was in response to the host/interviewer saying his favorite Supremes song was Stoned Love. Diana Ross gently scolded him saying he hadn't done his "homework"! Maybe he wasn't up on his Motownology but he has written several books and is a controversial longtime newspaper columnist.

Diana Ross was probably thrown of her train-of-thought by hearing him say his favorite Supremes song was not one she recorded, otherwise she might have recalled the name without any difficulty. I haven't watched Mary's interview yet so maybe the same thing happened to her.

ivyfield
06-10-2012, 03:28 AM
Mary could have still been out there touring with an authentic group of Supremes - just like Otis manages to do with his Temptations. Why she gave it up to start a solo career on 12th June 1977 is a mystery to me. She is ONLY known for one thing - The Supremes. She was once a part of the most iconic girl-group in the history of pop music. Personally, I think she should have stayed in the background, recruited GREAT singers like Jean/Scherrie/Lynda and still be out there giving the public what they really want - just like Otis has done successfully all these years. Sorry if this upsets some members but that's what I really think. Steve.

144man
06-10-2012, 07:34 AM
I have seen Mary Wilson solo twice in concert, and my opinion based on those performances is that her voice is strong enough to maintain a successful solo career. Unfortunately, this has never been replicated in the studio, and I blame her various record producers for that.

Roberta75
06-10-2012, 09:11 AM
Mary could have still been out there touring with an authentic group of Supremes - just like Otis manages to do with his Temptations. Why she gave it up to start a solo career on 12th June 1977 is a mystery to me. She is ONLY known for one thing - The Supremes. She was once a part of the most iconic girl-group in the history of pop music. Personally, I think she should have stayed in the background, recruited GREAT singers like Jean/Scherrie/Lynda and still be out there giving the public what they really want - just like Otis has done successfully all these years. Sorry if this upsets some members but that's what I really think. Steve.

Have you thought to consider that perhaps Ms. Wilson doesn't want to be out there touring with Jean, Scherrie or Lynda. Maybe she's happy on her own, with her own band and her own back up singers.

How do you know that the public really wants to see a grouping of 70's Supremes? I have to respectfully disagree with you. I think Mary Wilson is doing fine on her own. She's growing as an artist. She's getting great reviews for her Lena Horne project and seems to have moved on from all the bitterness with Diane Ross and the lawsuits with Motown. Ms. Wilson is touring here in the states and overseas and seems to be doing very well. The lady is 68 and has earned the right to do whatever she pleases.

There are some Supremes fans that seem unable to let go off the past. They fight over Return to love, pick apart every Mary and Diane interview and blindly praise one lady while viciously trashing the other lady. It's negative, childish and silly, especially when Diane and Mary have moved on and seem to be at peace with everything.

No disrespect to Jean Terrell, Lynda Laurence or Scherrie Payne, but your comment about giving the people what they want is more than a tad exaggerated. Outside of us diehard Motown fans I think most of the general public couldn't name any of them if you dangled a photo of Jean, Lynda and Scherrie in their faces. And I mean no disrespect to either of these lovely ladies.

Regards,

Roberta

smark21
06-10-2012, 01:35 PM
I think Ivyfeld is one of those perverse Supremes fans who gets off when one of his favorite Supremes is victimized. And since neither Lynda or Susaye have been genuinely victimized in recent years, he has to grasp for straws or find any excuse to conjure up an example of victimization in order to get some deep seated pleasure and satisfaction. Deep seated grudge holding offers similar pleasures to those inclined as well.

bradsupremes
06-10-2012, 04:49 PM

Sorry, but Otis' Temptations are a second rate version of themselves. They've become nothing but a tribute act. I've seen them in concert and the big guy who is doing the leads now doesn't bring any of the high quality class that the classic Temptations once had. He's terrible. Dennis Edwards' Temptations Revue captures the spirit and feel of the Temptations far better than Otis's grouping.

It's funny that you say Mary is only known for one thing which is the Supremes, but aren't all of the ladies known for that too? Sure they have all done other things and we the fans know their other work, but to the public would they really know what other things Jean Terrell has done other than replacing Diana Ross in the group or what Lynda has done other than replace Cindy Birdsong for a year and a half?

Mary may not have had number one singles as a solo artist or hit the charts, but she has really made a success for herself. Name me other background singers from other groups that have achieved the same level success that Mary has had. Sure Mary is known for being a Supreme, but I'll tell you she wears that name with pride.

rod_rick
06-10-2012, 06:03 PM
I have seen Mary Wilson solo twice in concert, and my opinion based on those performances is that her voice is strong enough to maintain a successful solo career. Unfortunately, this has never been replicated in the studio, and I blame her various record producers for that.

I totally agree with this post. Mary is good singing lead and it's a shame it took her so long to find her voice. I do not agree she should have remained in the background like Otis has. Yes Scherrie and Lynda have great voices and Mary Wilson has one also. At times I wished she would have stay with the Supremes and at other times I'm glad she moved on. Should Mary had stayed with the Supremes it should have been MCS or MSS those ladies worked really well together. The JMC line up was excellent also. Although there were good voices in JML line up, they didn't seem to gel as well together as the other two line ups.
BTW would Lynda and Scherrie want to tour with Mary as the Supremes?

BabyLuv64
06-10-2012, 11:15 PM
Have you thought to consider that perhaps Ms. Wilson doesn't want to be out there touring with Jean, Scherrie or Lynda. Maybe she's happy on her own, with her own band and her own back up singers.

How do you know that the public really wants to see a grouping of 70's Supremes? I have to respectfully disagree with you. I think Mary Wilson is doing fine on her own. She's growing as an artist. She's getting great reviews for her Lena Horne project and seems to have moved on from all the bitterness with Diane Ross and the lawsuits with Motown. Ms. Wilson is touring here in the states and overseas and seems to be doing very well. The lady is 68 and has earned the right to do whatever she pleases.

There are some Supremes fans that seem unable to let go off the past. They fight over Return to love, pick apart every Mary and Diane interview and blindly praise one lady while viciously trashing the other lady. It's negative, childish and silly, especially when Diane and Mary have moved on and seem to be at peace with everything.

No disrespect to Jean Terrell, Lynda Laurence or Scherrie Payne, but your comment about giving the people what they want is more than a tad exaggerated. Outside of us diehard Motown fans I think most of the general public couldn't name any of them if you dangled a photo of Jean, Lynda and Scherrie in their faces. And I mean no disrespect to either of these lovely ladies.

Regards,

Roberta

I completely agree.

jobeterob
06-11-2012, 01:39 AM
At times, I've wished that the Supremes had carried on. If they had, it would have to be Mary that continued them; I think it was best for her and Diana to call it to an end in 1977 and not let them become a tribute act. But I do think if Mary had continued, there may have been a time when the Supremes revived much like the Temptations did at times - for example, Phoenix Rising. At present, I agree that the Temptations are just a tribute act as well ~ but that name is very valuable.

Regardless of opinions about the quality of the voices of various Supremes, Mary has survived; she continues to work, travels the world probably at the expense of those that book her, and gives interviews ~ and at 68, that is saying something. Just for the fact she was in the definitive female group of the 60's, she will always be remembered.

westgrandboulevard
06-11-2012, 03:24 AM
Absolutely, jobeterob.

Mary's talent and drive, now so evident, must always have been there, just rather more buried in her personality.

For so long Mary was, as Smokey Robinson might have said, 'a sleeping giant', until her self-belief has, in more recent times, come forth fully from within.

If her group could rightly be described as the definitive female group from a decade half a century ago - and two original members of that group are still working, plus the succeeding members - it must surely be a fair assessment to describe The Supremes, to date, as the most definitive female group of all time.

marybrewster
06-11-2012, 03:01 PM
If her group could rightly be described as the definitive female group from a decade half a century ago - and two original members of that group are still working, plus the succeeding members - it must surely be a fair assessment to describe The Supremes, to date, as the most definitive female group of all time.

This has probably nothing to do with anything related to this thread; most likely it's comparing apples to oranges, but:

Kelly Rowland of Destiny's Child is performing at Minneapolis Gay Pride this year. In a parking lot. For being out of her group less than a decade, I think this is a pretty big fall. Of course, all of the queens are excited.....

Mary on the otherhand, being out of her group for more than 3 decades is playing Vegas, traveling and performing in Europe, and is getting rave reviews for her "Up Close" and "Lena" shows.

While I don't know if Mary is ONLY known for being a Supreme, she sure has built a career out of her "ooooohs", "ahhhhhs" and "baby babys".

rod_rick
06-11-2012, 03:19 PM

This has probably nothing to do with anything related to this thread; most likely it's comparing apples to oranges, but:

Kelly Rowland of Destiny's Child is performing at Minneapolis Gay Pride this year. In a parking lot. For being out of her group less than a decade, I think this is a pretty big fall. Of course, all of the queens are excited.....

Mary on the otherhand, being out of her group for more than 3 decades is playing Vegas, traveling and performing in Europe, and is getting rave reviews for her "Up Close" and "Lena" shows.

While I don't know if Mary is ONLY known for being a Supreme, she sure has built a career out of her "ooooohs", "ahhhhhs" and "baby babys".

Hey Marybrewster
I would to know how much Kelly is being paid before I would say that's a big fall for her performace in a parking lot for gay pride.

blueskies
06-11-2012, 03:30 PM

Uh Oh.........parking lots are honing in on Chantel Baker's territory....you know, the one that replaced Jean Terrell in The Supremes!

jobeterob
06-11-2012, 06:33 PM
I thought that Kelly Rowland had done quite well considering how big a star Beyonce has become. But comparing Destinys Child to the Supremes isn't really a fair comparison because they are 40 years apart and the ability to promote and advertise and trade information is incredibly different. Has Kelly not had a #1 album or at least a Top 10 album? I think if the Supremes broke up today, Mary Wilson would have a much better chance of being successful than she did in 1967 to 1980 ~ so long as she had the confidence to pursue a solo career.

With respect to the interview, I still wonder why Mary feels she needs to apologize to Kelly for the Motown 50 appearance? Kelly apparently did not "have" to do the show if she didn't want to. While it might have been a ragged show, I don't think it hurt Kelly's career ~ and I think she has had a fairly successful career thus far.

jobeterob
06-11-2012, 06:39 PM
Kelly has two Top 10 Pop Albums, a #1 and a #1 Hip Hop/R & B album, a#1 R & B Hip Hop Song, and a #1 Dance/Club Play song ~ not an extensive history, but not too shabby, especially for someone that came out of the shadow of Beyonce.

bradsupremes
06-11-2012, 08:15 PM
Uh Oh.........parking lots are honing in on Chantel Baker's territory....you know, the one that replaced Jean Terrell in The Supremes!

You're wrong. She replaced Freda Payne!

blueskies
06-11-2012, 09:14 PM
You're wrong. She replaced Freda Payne!

Yes, Brad....I stand corrected. Somehow, when it comes to Chantel's history....things get kinda blurry. Something Chantet periodically experiences in interviews.

marybrewster
06-11-2012, 09:48 PM
I thought that Kelly Rowland had done quite well considering how big a star Beyonce has become. But comparing Destinys Child to the Supremes isn't really a fair comparison because they are 40 years apart and the ability to promote and advertise and trade information is incredibly different. Has Kelly not had a #1 album or at least a Top 10 album? I think if the Supremes broke up today, Mary Wilson would have a much better chance of being successful than she did in 1967 to 1980 ~ so long as she had the confidence to pursue a solo career.

With respect to the interview, I still wonder why Mary feels she needs to apologize to Kelly for the Motown 50 appearance? Kelly apparently did not "have" to do the show if she didn't want to. While it might have been a ragged show, I don't think it hurt Kelly's career ~ and I think she has had a fairly successful career thus far.

Motown 45.

marybrewster
06-11-2012, 09:49 PM
Kelly has two Top 10 Pop Albums, a #1 and a #1 Hip Hop/R & B album, a#1 R & B Hip Hop Song, and a #1 Dance/Club Play song ~ not an extensive history, but not too shabby, especially for someone that came out of the shadow of Beyonce.

But still is playing a parking lot this June in Minneapolis.

jobeterob
06-12-2012, 01:05 AM
Well, Mary, perhaps there is only enough room for one really big star out of a group and the light they cast makes it close to impossible for others to survive.

Where is this parking lot?

Did she leave the X Factor or whatever show she was judging?

jack020
06-12-2012, 02:19 AM
Kelly had a really big hit in Europe in 2009 with David Guetta: When Love Takes Over! Since then she is seen as a dance diva and that is why she is performing at a gay pride party!

marybrewster
06-12-2012, 08:23 AM
All I am doing is stating the facts.

Kelly is performing at Gay Pride. The venue is a parking lot.

I didn't book her and it's not my fault it's a parking lot. It's really not that difficult to understand.

jobeterob
06-12-2012, 11:26 AM
I searched Kelly Rowland and she appears to do quite a large number of Gay Pride concert dates and most of them are outside ~ she appears to know an audience she appeals to and goes for it.

This is what else Wkipedia says about her; she's done pretty well especially considered how overshadowed she was.

Kelly Rowland [[born Kelendria Trene Rowland on February 11, 1981) is an American recording artist, songwriter, dancer, actress and television personality. Born in Atlanta, Georgia and raised in Houston, Texas, Rowland rose to fame as one of the founding members of the American R&B girl group Destiny's Child, one of the world's best-selling girl groups of all time.

During the hiatus of Destiny's Child, Rowland released her debut solo album Simply Deep in 2002, which contained influences of alternative-R&B and rock music. It included her joint worldwide number-one single "Dilemma" with rapper Nelly, and the international top-ten hit "Stole". Following the group's disbandment in 2005, Rowland released her second solo effort Ms. Kelly in 2007 and despite being less successful than its predecessor, it included the international hit singles "Like This" and "Work". In 2009, Rowland scored her second worldwide number-one hit with French DJ David Guetta, on his single "When Love Takes Over". Her third solo album Here I Am was released in 2011 and included the UK top-ten hits "Commander" and "Down for Whatever", as well as the US R&B number-one "Motivation".

As a solo artist, Rowland has amassed estimated sales of four million albums and 18 million lead/featured singles worldwide.[2] Her work has earned her several achievements, including a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame with Destiny's Child, four Grammy Awards, two Billboard Music Awards, and a Soul Train Music Award. Rowland has been honored by the American Society of Composers, Authors and Publishers [[ASCAP) and Essence magazine for her contributions to music.

Apart from her work in music, Rowland has also launched a career in film and television. In 2002, she made her acting debut with guest appearances on sitcom series The Hughleys and Taina, prior to appearing in various films, including Freddy vs. Jason [[2003), The Seat Filler [[2004) and Think Like a Man [[2012). In 2007, Rowland appeared as a choirmaster on the reality show Clash of the Choirs, and in 2009 she served as the host on Bravo's reality competition series The Fashion Show alongside Isaac Mizrahi. In 2011, Rowland joined the judging panel on the eighth series of The X Factor [[UK), but left after one season

skooldem1
06-12-2012, 11:47 AM
She even says she needs to apologize to Kelly Rowland for how badly that Supremes reunion with Cindy Birdsong went off; she doesn't specifically say what she thought was so bad about it, but it was suggested at the time that it was nearly pulled from the show because it wasn't a good performance.

I seem to recall reading that Mary behaved badly backstage. She was yelling at Cindy. Anyone remember this?

Penny
06-12-2012, 11:47 AM
We have drifted far off the topic but I would venture a guess that to Ms. Rowland it isn't about the parking lot at all but it is about the paycheck.

carlo
06-12-2012, 11:51 AM
I seem to recall reading that Mary behaved badly backstage. She was yelling at Cindy. Anyone remember this?

I don't remember because I wasn't there. Were you?

skooldem1
06-12-2012, 12:09 PM
Carlo- I'm trying to be nice. Why can't you do the same? You are not Mary Wilson's man, bodyguard or caretaker. It has been asked why Mary feels she should apologize to Kelly for M45. I simply stated what I recall reading. Why are you taking things so personal these days and acting so pissy?

carlo
06-12-2012, 12:22 PM
Carlo- I'm trying to be nice. Why can't you do the same? You are not Mary Wilson's man, bodyguard or caretaker. It has been asked why Mary feels she should apologize to Kelly for M45. I simply stated what I recall reading. Why are you taking things so personal these days and acting so pissy?

Skool dem, the previous statement I had posted was simply tongue in cheek. I can post whatever I want. Perhaps you should not be so sensitive. I seem to recall one instance in the past where I called you out on being "cranky" and you took offense to that. That's when I decided to apologize to you. Now you're calling me "pissy"? lol. Treat others the way you would like to be treated.

skooldem1
06-12-2012, 01:02 PM
I am not going to go back and forth with you about this.

marv2
06-12-2012, 01:05 PM
I don't remember because I wasn't there. Were you?

Mary did not behave badly, show out or anything of the sort. She did not yell at Cindy Birdsong.......all urban myth [[READ: Lies!).

Some might recall that Mary had just suffered a mild stroke the month before the taping of this program and had performed a 2 hour show the evening before in Vegas. That was more than enough to account for her "off performance" on Motown 45.

jobeterob
06-12-2012, 02:38 PM
Skooldem's suggestion makes sense; for Mary to say she needed to apologize, she must feel there is a reason.

That performance was very ragged and I didn't think they looked very Supreme ~ the look was the worst of it. And several sections didn't sound like the Supremes of old; they sounded like a weak parody or a ragged tribute to Jean and Diana.

It makes sense that Mary might have been very frustrated by what she knew was not going to be a good performance and Kelly got caught in the middle.

But I didn't read anything about what happened; all I recall is that the Supremes segment was nearly pulled from the live telecast and the compromise was to put it out front at the beginning of the broadcast. All in all, I didn't think it was that bad.......it's nothing anyone but the core fans would ever remember.

marybrewster
06-12-2012, 02:40 PM
Treat others the way you would like to be treated.

Amen Jesus!

rod_rick
06-12-2012, 06:00 PM
Skooldem's suggestion makes sense; for Mary to say she needed to apologize, she must feel there is a reason.

That performance was very ragged and I didn't think they looked very Supreme ~ the look was the worst of it. And several sections didn't sound like the Supremes of old; they sounded like a weak parody or a ragged tribute to Jean and Diana.

It makes sense that Mary might have been very frustrated by what she knew was not going to be a good performance and Kelly got caught in the middle.

But I didn't read anything about what happened; all I recall is that the Supremes segment was nearly pulled from the live telecast and the compromise was to put it out front at the beginning of the broadcast. All in all, I didn't think it was that bad.......it's nothing anyone but the core fans would ever remember.

Marybrewster
I agree with your statement and would add the politics of the entire supreme situation.

smark21
06-12-2012, 08:19 PM
Well it should be added that last summer, both Mary Wilson and Aretha Franklin both performed in a parking lot at Coney Island for the Brooklyn Coney Island Summer Concert series. The space where those concerts are held is a school bus parking lot during the school year. For festivals there’s no shame playing a parking lot if a good stage has been set up, chairs set out, and there’s a space for picnickers and dancers, and the cars have been cleared out. Shantel Baker’s parking lot concerts are the real deal on the other hand, based on clips I’ve seen as there are cars on the lot and she doesn’t have much of a stage to work with. So respect to the supreme supreme Shantel Baker for keeping it real with her parking lot shows.

jobeterob
06-13-2012, 02:44 AM
The parking lot is meaningless; as Smark says, some are great places to play; some suck.

Kelly and Mary have parallel careers at different times; it was easier for Kelly than Mary because it is so much easier to promote yourself now and trade information.

This is perhaps Mary Wilson's definitive late stage interview and it really dumps many of the perceptions and misconceptions about her.

jobeterob
06-28-2012, 05:29 PM
...YOUR FRIENDS' ACTIVITY1-0 of nullprev next ...
......Mary Wilson Of The Supremes On ‘Dreamgirls,’ ‘Sparkle,’ Diana Ross And Kelly Rowland
..By Billy Johnson, Jr.
.Posts .By Billy Johnson, Jr. | Hip-Hop Media Training – Fri, 8 Jun, 2012 3:00 PM EDT
EmailPrint.....Whitney Houston's last movie "Sparkle" will be released in August and tells the story of three sisters from Detroit and their pursuit of singing careers. The remake of the 1976 film and another project, the "Dreamgirls" movie and play, are based, to some extent, on the story of The Supremes.

The Supremes member Mary Wilson has mixed feelings about the works. "I think it's wonderful to be emulated and liked so much that people want to do that," she said during part two of an exclusive video interview with Yahoo! Music to celebrate Black Music Month. "And I got to say that I adore 'Dreamgirls.' And though [[the original) 'Sparkle' was very good, in fact, they have the new one coming out with Whitney Houston and Jordin, she's wonderful, too. But the thing is, Why didn't they make a story out of my book? It's a real story. A true story.

"So even though I love 'Dreamgirls,' the thing is Why didn't they say this is about The Supremes? Maybe, they didn't want to pay someone? But they used all of our history, all of our legacy. They used it. It's hard because it was a beautiful project, a documentation of what was. If it wasn't about us, I would say, 'Yes it's great.' I can't say I hate it because I don't. But it's not fair because if I want to do a movie based on The Supremes, I couldn't do it because it's already been done."

Wilson did find one way to capitalize off of the 1981 "Dreamgirls" Broadway production. "I named my book 'Dreamgirl [My Life As A Supreme']' after I saw the play. Well, if they didn't pay me or Diane or anyone for using our images, then, I can probably use that name, and it was a best seller, too."

[Part 1: Mary Wilson On Being Dubbed 'The No Hit Supremes' And Never Liking Their First No. 1 Hit 'Where Did Our Love Go']

Mary Wilson [[photo: Derick Tortorella)One of the roughest stages for The Supremes was the firing of Florence Ballard in 1967 during their dates at the Flamingo Hotel in Las Vegas. For Wilson, that signaled the end.

"The group was over when Florence left," Wilson said. "For me, the group was over. [Then] a lot of times recordings were being made, maybe if I was not there, they would go on and do it. And then, 'Well, OK. Nobody's on the there but Diane.' But not her fault, either. But I'm just saying, the machine was going, going on. For me it was the end when Florence left. Then, when Diane left it was totally over."

Ballard was originally the lead singer of the group. When the Motown executives made Ross the voice, the friction among the members ensued. A frustrated Ballard began drinking heavily, gaining weight and being disgruntled which ultimately lead to her termination.

Dealing with Ballard's departure was tough for Wilson." It's a little harder being in a girl group," she said. "Guys can be in a group and fight and come back and be buddies." Wilson said Ballard, who was abused as a child, struggled to deal with the group's problems.

The Supremes"Diane and I thought that fame would take care of it, unfortunately it did not," Wilson said. "What happened was everything that would happen in the group that was kinda negative or whatever, she couldn't handle that. That's when she started drinking. She couldn't cope with what was going on. It was a tough time for me."

Despite the revolving member changes in the group, Wilson said The Supremes were never able to capture their old chemistry. "I learned that after the original group it was never ever the same," she said. "The magic we had, the synergy was just so … it was like we must of played that before we came here."

Wilson said she was instrumental in calling for The Supremes to close shop in 1977. Though she was eager to move into the next phase of her career, she was nervous.

"I was totally scared," she said. "I was very afraid. But, at the same time, I love doing this. I can't stop because everyone else stopped. I know I don't have the same great voice like Diane or Jean [Terrell, who replaced Ross]. But, I enjoy performing, and I'm a great performer. I may not be a great singer, but I am a great performer."

Wilson said it was not easy establishing herself as a solo artist after The Supremes ended and she compares her plight to former Destiny's Child member Kelly Rowland.

"She's finding her niche, coming out of a group and is a beautiful individual," Wilson said about Rowland. "It's very difficult, but it can be done … You've got to really want to do that and that way it will work."

Like The Supremes became centered about Ross, Rowland's group Destiny's Child was headed by Beyonce. "Same as our situation," Wilson said. "No one thought I was going to be out there doing what I've done."

Though Wilson and Ross' differences have been discussed in the media over the years, Wilson said they do care about each other. "Being girls is not easy. Not easy to communicate and stay friends when you got your boyfriend, husband, the company. You got all these things coming at you. It's not the kind of thing that keeps you together. Our friendship kinda ended after. We were friends first. We went through all these great things together and then pretty soon it did whatever. But it was never animosity between us. We really, really love each other, still do. But maybe Diane and I are not close, but we still love each other. It's just she went her way and I had to go this way, and that's it."

Wilson is keeping busy. She has a new CD, "Life's Been Good To Me," that has reteamed her with Motown's famous Holland-Dozier-Holland camp. She's promoting the re-release of "The Supremes At The Copa" and she is starring in the tribute review, "Lena Horne Project."

Wilson hopes The Supremes are remembered for their accomplishments. "I think we were one of the greatest groups in terms of achieving certain things, certainly not in terms of voice, because The Pointer Sisters for me is my favorite group," she said. "We were just great friends. People forget that. We were great friends."

The Supremes are the spotlight group this month in Yahoo! Music's Best Soul Girl Groups Of All Time tribute for Black Music Month. A different act will be profiled everyday. The list includes African American women from a variety of genres — R&B, pop, gospel and rap — who were trailblazers and paved the way for those who followed.