PDA

View Full Version : stevie wonder on the queen's diamond jubilee concert tonight

test

tamla617
06-04-2012, 12:34 PM
the diamond jubilee is on bbc 1 [[maybe world service tv aswell) from 18:30 GMT thats 19:30 BST in uk.
stevie wonder,dame shirley bassey,sir cliff richard,sir paul Mc cartney,sir elton john,sir tom jones,robbie williams,lang lang,jesse j,kylie monologue and more and more for over 3 hours.each act gets 6 minutes!
no idea who is singing what.the last one 10 years ago was brilliant!

the concert is around the queen victoria memorial outside buckingham palace [[its the roundabout on the main drag)at the top of the mall.

i'm sure it will be beamed live to the states on at least one channel somewhere.

btw its 60 years since princess elizabeth ascended the throne [[became queen) after her father george vi died 1952.the coronation wasnt until 1953 where she was crowned.

roger
06-04-2012, 01:31 PM
Let's hope someone regal asks him when we can expect to see TCMS12 and a STEVIE WONDER "Lost And Found" in the shops .... :)

Roger

tamla617
06-04-2012, 02:02 PM
yeah! stick him in the tower 'till he signs!

theboyfromxtown
06-04-2012, 07:53 PM
Stevie Wonder was great and so was Grace Jones. Were some of those big names singing out of tune?

westgrandboulevard
06-05-2012, 05:21 AM
Stevie was indeed, and typically, great.

A nice touch of his, to amend the lyrics of "Isn't She Lovely" to suit the occasion...even though, with his slurred, rapid scat style of singing, I often wish I could understand ALL of his words...but maybe it's just me...

Didn't see it all the way through, just segments, and missed Grace.

The balance between the voices and the music seemed a bit off at times, which sounded a bit strange. Madness, on top of The Palace, as one example...

As for 'out of tune'....go on then, can you name any 'big names', John?:)

theboyfromxtown
06-05-2012, 05:27 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1HuRXwUfrw

theboyfromxtown
06-05-2012, 05:28 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCrUq7DveFs

westgrandboulevard
06-05-2012, 05:36 AM
theboyfromxtown

LOL....You're getting very good at this, John!

Very many thanks, and not just from me, I feel....

Sotosound
06-05-2012, 09:27 AM
Sir Cliff Richard sang most of his first song [["Dynamite") sharp and just didn't really seem to get into his groove.

Sir Tom Jones, on the other hand, was great.

Grace Jones was good and suitably weird, keeping a hula hoop going all the way through her song. I couldn't do that!

Sir Elton was good, performing "Your Song" with essentially its original arrangement.

All in all, it was a great concert.

Oh, and the images that were project onto Buckingham Palace while Madness sang "Our House" were superb.

reese
06-05-2012, 09:54 AM
ABC is showing some of the performances tonight at 9pm est.

tamla617
06-05-2012, 11:13 AM
i really enjoyed the concert.i was so happy to see stevie do superstition.grace jones was unbeleivable,hula hooping for the whole song,she's 64! amazing

jobeterob
06-05-2012, 12:01 PM
Thanks for posting the clips. That's quite a feat for Grace Jones to sing and hula hoop through a song at 64, but those legs say it all about what kind of physical shape she is in; she must work out a lot. She needs to give Stevie Wonder a hand to stay in shape; and he should lend her some of his songs!

I wonder how long it took her to put all that make up on and get dressed.

R. Mark Desjardins
06-05-2012, 12:38 PM
The CBC is broadcasting the concert this evening [[Tuesday) at 7 pm in Canada.

westgrandboulevard
06-05-2012, 02:23 PM
Seeing the clip of Grace Jones brought back memories of 'Do Or Die'.

Bless you Tom Moulton, for what you did with that track :cool:

copley
06-05-2012, 06:05 PM
Highlight was Amazing Grace Jones. Tom Jones & Shirley Bassey were excellent. Stevie Wonder was good. Annie Lennox ruined her song by singing a new version! Cliff Richard & Elton John were flat & out of tune and looked like a couple of over botoxed drag queens! Cheryl Cole proved that she couldn't hold a tune in a bucket! The rest were forgettable.

jack020
06-06-2012, 02:28 AM
Grace is still in great shape: body and voice! Saw her live at the Hague Jazz last year.:cool:

lakedistrictlad1
06-06-2012, 09:57 AM
Tom and Shirley were the best. When are they gonna do a duet? How great would that be?