PDA

View Full Version : Building Collections

test

nabob
06-03-2012, 09:16 PM
I have an extensive collection of both mint Motown vinyl and CDs back to the birth of this medium. The logic of the completist who buys up any and everything Motown totally escapes me. When you have so much music that you could never find the time to listen while enjoying and play so very little of what you have in frequency, what is the point of continuing to acquire more?

A Billy Preston & Syreeta Rich Love, Poor Love vinyl was found yesterday. The LP was purchased more for scanning the cover than for listening to the music. Hopefully, it gets played some time during the week. The scan will become part of the library on the hard drive that may never be used anywhere. Restoring the cover to remove minor scratches was an enjoyable way to spend the afternoon.

Many of the recent Hip-O releases have been purchased in hope that the support will pave the way for future releases. In all honesty, these are played maybe two times before becoming "reference material" in the library. Even the extensive liner notes and new pictures don't provide that extra snap. As I get older, other endeavors have claimed a higher priority in spending the discretionary income.

What are some of the reasons that we continue to build collections?

Ngroove
06-03-2012, 11:12 PM
To accumulate the most groove-tastic body of music in all existence?

Motown4Ever518
06-04-2012, 12:35 AM
A good question, with college tuition coming up for my daughter in about 4 years, I really need to stop ,look, and listen to what you are saying Nabob. If I did not buy another item of recorded music music in any format for the rest of my life, I would have a pretty enviable collection. What throws me off is the Hippo, Ace, Kent collections, especially that which contains previously unreleased material. Also the Hippo reissue projects as well as the opportunity to own every album that originated from West Grand Blvd.Then there are the various reissues from the 70's. Would I have died if I did not have Ace Spectrums first album, which had Ashford and Simpsons Don't Send Nobody Else. Well I have it and now that I do, it isn't as exciting as getting it was. No disrespect to Ace Spectrum, not great singers, but all three albums were well produced. I suspect that here in the upstate NY area I not only am the only soul who has anything by them, but the only soul who even knows who they are.

What I am saying is that when the lost and found of material by Blinky hits my shelves I will not need to buy any more music, until then I reckon I will continue to try to pare down my expenditures.

Roger Polhill
06-04-2012, 12:43 AM
I won`t rest until I have every track recorded at Motown on the 5 soul labels.Plus I want to collect all the unreleased sides that remain in the vaults. So Harry get your act together!

Roger Polhill
06-04-2012, 01:04 AM
I`ll make it easier for you Harry 1959 - 1971 will do just nicely thank you very much!

Ngroove
06-04-2012, 01:34 AM
I`ll make it easier for you Harry 1959 - 1971 will do just nicely thank you very much!

There is already Complete Motown Singles volumes for the A-and-B-sides atleast.

But personally, I want to someday collect them all of Motown as well - not just the Golden Age Peroid - Motown's disco, funk, new wave, new jack swing, neo-soul...

I'll be record-hunting of course, but man, what really sucks about it, is many of my finds, whether in Thrift stores, Flea Markets, Second Hand Stores, Record Stores, after a few to so many plays, it starts scratching, skippin' up on me - which really, really sucks - some of those records are those that hasn't been CD-ed yet, or would cost me a fortune in CD form, according to Amazon prices.

Current "think abouts" next: perhaps another "Hitsville USA Complete Motown Singles 1959-1971, since my last one has long been too scratched up, Cellarful of Motown vol.4, Motown Disco Party Pac, High Inergy's "Frenzy", Scherrie and Susaye's "Partners", Carrie McDowell's "Carrie McDowell", a twelve-inch single of Michael Lovesmith's "Break The Ice", and a few more "Year-by-Year: The Sound Of Young America" CD collections, 1969 [[used, a new one, according to Amazon's price, is a killer!) for re-starters, to add to my 1964, 1966, 1968, 1976, and 1980 collections.

Amithesameboy
06-04-2012, 02:50 AM
I have an extensive collection of both mint Motown vinyl and CDs back to the birth of this medium. The logic of the completist who buys up any and everything Motown totally escapes me. When you have so much music that you could never find the time to listen while enjoying and play so very little of what you have in frequency, what is the point of continuing to acquire more?

A Billy Preston & Syreeta Rich Love, Poor Love vinyl was found yesterday. The LP was purchased more for scanning the cover than for listening to the music. Hopefully, it gets played some time during the week. The scan will become part of the library on the hard drive that may never be used anywhere. Restoring the cover to remove minor scratches was an enjoyable way to spend the afternoon.

Many of the recent Hip-O releases have been purchased in hope that the support will pave the way for future releases. In all honesty, these are played maybe two times before becoming "reference material" in the library. Even the extensive liner notes and new pictures don't provide that extra snap. As I get older, other endeavors have claimed a higher priority in spending the discretionary income.

I think you have more or less answered your own question by buying an LP as dull as rich love, poor love.

soulster
06-04-2012, 03:18 AM
Just remember to find a backup solution. It would be a shame to lose all that music in a catastrophe.

gordy_hunk
06-04-2012, 04:01 AM
I used to buy anything and everything that came from the Motown group of labels - including such novelty records as "Dan the Banjo Man".

About 18 months' ago, I realised that the vast majority of this material will never, ever be played again. So why keep it? Why continue collecting it - when it will be played once, then shelved.

To an extent, I'm still finding it difficult to say "NO" when a new release comes out [[for example, the Marvelettes). This year I've found it slightly easier to stop collecting. I do keep asking myself the question "why are you buying this CD / vinyl when you know it will never be played more than once or twice". I have been tempted to order the Miracles CD that's due for release shortly. I know it won't be played more than once so have managed not to press the button "order".

I have started selling the collection [[not just on ebay) but it is interesting that although we think sometimes that people want the vinyl [[or CD), frequently you almost have to give the record away. I still have about 75% of the output from Motown [[LP), and the vast majority of this will be sold off. Occasionally I get the urge to stop selling them, but why keep them? If I could answer that, I would keep them.

But what made me start collecting? When I was a child / early teenagers, I heard Tamla Motown material and just loved it. I started to use all my earnings in buying anything and everything, and in those days, it was very easy to find [[and cheap) to obtain all of Motown's material - particularly US releases. They were usually sold for just a few pence [[it was after decimalisation). It became an obsession. An addiction. Now I'm older, and I have totally different priorities in my life.

[[By the way, when I sell, I will only sell to people within the UK).

Amithesameboy
06-04-2012, 04:20 AM
I think you have more or less answered your own question by buying an LP as dull as rich love, poor love.

And, I should have added, is of course by G C. Cameron and Syreeta, not Billy Preston and Syreeta.

tamla617
06-04-2012, 05:13 AM
the buzz is in the hunt for anything "new".once its got its on to the next one.thats how it was with me,so i dont bother anymore unless i just happen to find something really cheap [[2 quid! for an lp).but not the constant searching.i've found some stuff that i now know why i didnt bother in the days when they were released.
and its correct to say i dont play a third of what i have.but its all there.i have 99% of all motown released material on my 2 hard drives one is for back up and on disc[[s) too.my daughter had a 1tb hard drive loads of room so she let me back up on hers too.belts and braces!
i still buy some of the cd releases from hipo.universal and anybody else who feeds my wants and support them in the hope they continue to release more of the un released and anthologies on artists like blinky,originals,ij hunter etc.

nabob
06-04-2012, 06:21 AM
And, I should have added, is of course by G C. Cameron and Syreeta, not Billy Preston and Syreeta.

Billy Preston & Syreeta Rich Love, Poor Love
Damn! Did I say that? Sorry. Thanks for the correction.

westgrandboulevard
06-04-2012, 08:02 AM
I'm not a completist collector, but I keep many of my old vinyl albums for the same reason I buy the same tracks again on CDs.

That is, they provide tangible evidence of my lifetime memories. I can refer to them, as and when I feel the need.

They keep me in touch with myself, particularly the 'me' I was at a much younger age.

They've been with me throughout the journey.

If I lost them, I would start again.

With them, I can face tomorrow with a smile.

carlo
06-04-2012, 11:00 AM
When you have so much music that you could never find the time to listen while enjoying and play so very little of what you have in frequency, what is the point of continuing to acquire more?

It's human nature to continually accumulate and want more. Most people never feel satisfied.

mysterysinger
06-05-2012, 02:09 PM
Its probably our "hunter/gatherer" instinct taking a different form.

westgrandboulevard
06-05-2012, 02:13 PM
These days, it's known as 'eBay'! lol

Motown4Ever518
06-05-2012, 03:47 PM
These days, it's known as 'eBay'! lol

I just got in from work and what was the first thing I checked that starts with e and ends with y. Today could be the day that i'll find the Eddie Kendricks solo albums volume #2 for less than $200.00. Or maybe tomorrow.

westgrandboulevard
06-05-2012, 04:17 PM
Motown4Ever518

...and, knowing how e**y operates [[especially with auction items) any seller of the Eddie Kendricks solo albums volume # 2 will be keeping an even keener eye out for someone just like you...! LOL

soulster
06-05-2012, 04:41 PM
I collect for the music I don't already have, and for the hope of better sound quality.

Ngroove
06-05-2012, 08:54 PM
Ahhh...today, found the mother of all deals in my Motown record buying....found in the quarter table in a used video store...Diana Ross' "Diana Ross"..."Ain't No Mountian High Enough" still played 95% clear...all six enchanting minutes of it!