PDA

View Full Version : Aretha Franklin: Five 70's Albums Coming to CD

test

skooldem1
06-03-2012, 11:02 AM
Aretha makes deal with Universal to re-release last five Atlantic studio albums

Aretha Franklin's Record Company Gets Deal With Universal; Five 70's Albums Coming to CD For First Time

Aretha Franklin's fledgling Aretha's Records has signed a deal with the Universal Music Group to distribute their releases which will include classic Franklin recordings along with new artists that the singer has discovered.

Roger Friedman's Showbiz411 elusively announced the deal on Friday, also breaking the news that the first first releases will be Franklin's last five albums for Atlantic Records [[not counting the Sparkle soundtrack) which had never been officially released on CD. Four of the five will also include bonus tracks.

The five albums and the bonus tracks:

With Everything I Feel in Me [[1974/#57 Pop/#6 R&B)
Til' It's Over
Springtime in New York

You [[1975/#83 Pop/#9 R&B)
Rock Me
White Dove
Can You
You Can’t Make It
I Want To Make Love To You
TNT Dynamite

Sweet Passion [[1977/#49 Pop/#6 R&B)
Before The Magic C Is Just A Memory
Musta Up Some Gusta
You Light Up My Life

Almighty Fire [[Woman of the Future) [[1978/#63 Pop/#12 R&B)

La Diva [[1979/#146 Pop/#25 R&B)
I Need Your Love

Read more: VVN Music: Aretha Franklin's Record Company Gets Deal With Universal; Five 70's Albums Coming to CD For First Time

http://www.vintagevinylnews.com/2012/06/aretha-franklins-record-company-gets.html

reese
06-03-2012, 11:39 AM
Good news. My copies of some of those albums have gotten rather scratchy.

marv2
06-03-2012, 11:40 AM
Excellent....finally! I didn't like carrying the big boxset in the car on trips.

carlo
06-03-2012, 01:01 PM
Great!!!!!

soulster
06-03-2012, 01:25 PM
Excellent....finally! I didn't like carrying the big boxset in the car on trips.

You don't make CD-R copies for the car? I would never think of taking original CDs in the car. they might get damaged or lost.

caliluv
06-03-2012, 01:38 PM
I have all these albums in my iPod. Most sound good but it will surely be great to have nice clean sounding albums. I can't wait!

zebop
06-04-2012, 01:52 AM
Good lord, Atlantic should have put most of these on CD 20 years ago.

soulster
06-04-2012, 02:43 AM
Good lord, Atlantic should have put most of these on CD 20 years ago.

But, as with most major American labels, they do a half-assed job, and never finish. 70s and 80s soul music is especially affected by this. With rock-pop acts, you'll get the entire catalog, clunkers and all, while you rarely see more than one or two hit albums by the soul artists. It's a shame that to this day, not all of, say, the Emotions albums are out in digital, and almost none of Ray Parker Jr.'s albums are either. And, whenever some U.K. label does it, they screw up the sound by compressing the shit out of it. No wonder I have to find the old vinyl and do my own needledrops. Besides, I can do a much better job than what these record labels will put out.

reese
06-04-2012, 07:30 AM
Aretha owns the masters to these five albums, so most likely she and Atlantic couldn't come to a financial agreement. They might not have thought there would be enough interest in them since they were the least successful of her Atlantic output. But it is nice to finally have this hole in her catalog filled.

jobeterob
06-04-2012, 11:26 AM
It is all about making money and when it is not there, you don't get the product or you get it done cheap. That is why it is important to support Hip O Select.

R. Mark Desjardins
06-04-2012, 02:20 PM
I found these five Aretha Franklin recordings available in CD format on gemm that were manufactured in Europe. I ordered La Diva to test out the sound quality and was amazed how good it was, so I ordered the others. The releases appeared official and even had liner notes. Most people are very leery of ordering from outside the U.S. and in most cases have legitimate reasons for feeling that way. The fact that these recordings will be available domestically is great news and hopefully will featured extra tracks. As an Aretha fan since I first heard her single "I Never Loved A Man" blaring from the radio, I have always found that her albums feature something special, regardless of how non commercial their appeal may have been at the end of her tenure at Atlantic Records.

no_place_like_motown
06-04-2012, 05:52 PM
Glad that we're finally getting these albums on CD. I'm especially looking forward to hearing the remastered Lamont Dozier produced tracks on Aretha's "Sweet Passion" album.

zebop
06-07-2012, 12:51 AM
But, as with most major American labels, they do a half-assed job, and never finish. 70s and 80s soul music is especially affected by this. With rock-pop acts, you'll get the entire catalog, clunkers and all, while you rarely see more than one or two hit albums by the soul artists. It's a shame that to this day, not all of, say, the Emotions albums are out in digital, and almost none of Ray Parker Jr.'s albums are either. And, whenever some U.K. label does it, they screw up the sound by compressing the shit out of it. No wonder I have to find the old vinyl and do my own needledrops. Besides, I can do a much better job than what these record labels will put out.

Isn't it tiresome? Luckily I've "stumbled" on a few needledrops and CD's before people started to fully lose their minds sonically.

Heh, it's true they never finish when it comes this music. Rhino, Capitol, etc all have sets and series that just faded out. Luckily I have most of the good stuff on vinyl so I don't have to look and wait for what title they deem "worthy" of reissue.

Kamasu_Jr
06-08-2012, 05:13 AM
Aretha owns the masters to these five albums, so most likely she and Atlantic couldn't come to a financial agreement. They might not have thought there would be enough interest in them since they were the least successful of her Atlantic output. But it is nice to finally have this hole in her catalog filled.

It's also a smart way to keep her Aretha records label in the forefront. She has been very aggressive lately in getting her catalog on the market.

caliluv
08-25-2012, 01:16 AM
I've been seeing some of the titles to some of these cds on ebay. Most are selling between $15-$35 each... I am savoring about the box-set of these 5 cds hoping it'll be out very soon.

texassoul
08-31-2012, 12:54 AM
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mfkL1ag1-LY

Aretha - Sweet Passion

luke
09-01-2012, 10:28 AM
LOVE the Sweet Passion album. Critics be dammed!

Glenpwood
11-26-2012, 12:11 PM
Will these ever see the light of day? Been nearly 6 months since the announcement.....