PDA

View Full Version : Diana Ross at Cass Tech Yearbook

test

MadLad
05-31-2012, 03:45 AM
neat little piece of history..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Diana-Ross-Senior-High-School-Yearbook-1962-Rare-Supremes-Motown-/120923686647?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c279d06f7#ht_500wt_1413

uptight
05-31-2012, 04:07 AM
And she was a hall monitor! LOL

144man
05-31-2012, 06:37 AM
I notice it says "Diana" not "Diane".........?????

marybrewster
05-31-2012, 08:42 AM
Which one of her classmates is selling her out? Obviously someone that wasn't friends were her; no signature noted.

And $775.00? Get real.

kenneth
05-31-2012, 10:35 AM
There was a popular book back in the 80s which had lots of famous people in their yearbook photos. I can't remember the name of it...maybe "Who Were they Then" or something like that. Diane's photo was included, along with Paul Simon, Rick Nelson, and others. Of course, it was only the one shot. Still, a cheaper alternative and it was a fun book. As I recall, it didn't immediately identify the folks. You had to look up the names, or turn the page maybe.

Hey I want to know what ever happened to Lance Davis, the best dressed guy in Diane's class! A handsome dude and he got to be paired with her, at least in print!

nosey
05-31-2012, 11:18 AM
Nice picture of her.

jobeterob
05-31-2012, 11:20 AM
So, the year book tells us once and for all...............it was Diana before Berry got into it all!

skooldem1
05-31-2012, 11:26 AM
Diana was very attractive as a youngster- on top of that she was also best dressed. She just always had the looks and style.

marybrewster
05-31-2012, 11:44 AM
So, the year book tells us once and for all...............it was Diana before Berry got into it all!

Unless it was a typo.

carlo
05-31-2012, 11:47 AM
Diana has always been her legal name, since that is the name on her birth certificate.

ejluther
05-31-2012, 12:11 PM
Unless it was a typo.

The same typo twice? I suppose it's possible...

jobeterob
05-31-2012, 12:47 PM
I wonder if we'll ever see a name change to Beyonca or Madonne? That's probably already been covered for them.

It does seem a bit odd to me that if all her friends called her Diane ~ why would the school year book read Diana? I'm sure the editors didn't go checking legal names.

skooldem1
05-31-2012, 12:54 PM
Children are enrolled in school using their legal names, not nicknames.

carlo
05-31-2012, 01:18 PM
Children are enrolled in school using their legal names, not nicknames.

Exactly....

Penny
05-31-2012, 01:23 PM
An "e" or an "a" at the end of her first name matters little to me. If I ever have the pleasure of being introduced to her I would, out of respect, address her as Miss Ross. It is the way I was brought up.

Penny:D

motony
05-31-2012, 01:58 PM
in the early years she ALWAYS reffered to herself as "Diane Ross'', I think her introductions on the Copa LP she says something like "and I'm Diane Ross". I know back in the day when I heard her speak she used Diane and I heard back then that her birth name was Diana.Her old friends will always think of her as Diane.

marv2
05-31-2012, 02:08 PM
This is funny. Just last week I found and ordered my sophomore year College yearbook on Ebay..........for $49! LOL!

marv2
05-31-2012, 02:09 PM
in the early years she ALWAYS reffered to herself as "Diane Ross'', I think her introductions on the Copa LP she says something like "and I'm Diane Ross". I know back in the day when I heard her speak she used Diane and I heard back then that her birth name was Diana.Her old friends will always think of her as Diane.

Her birth name is Diane

Roberta75
05-31-2012, 03:12 PM
An "e" or an "a" at the end of her first name matters little to me. If I ever have the pleasure of being introduced to her I would, out of respect, address her as Miss Ross. It is the way I was brought up.

Penny:D

That's because you are a very classy lady Penny.

Thank you for being you.

Yours, with every good wish.

Roberta

marybrewster
05-31-2012, 03:15 PM
The same typo twice? I suppose it's possible...

As possible as Linda Lorenz or Tina Duress.

marybrewster
05-31-2012, 03:17 PM

On "Heigh-Ho", both Mary and Cindy refer to her as "Diane":

"Isn't that Diane?"
"It IS Diane!"

skooldem1
05-31-2012, 03:28 PM
DianA
DianE

Its the same damn name.

After all these years some Ross fans still fall for it.
After all these years Ross haters still look pathetic calling her that.

Did someone actually type out the following to prove a point:

"Isn't that Diane?"
"It IS Diane!"

REALLY???

Anyway, on their first album "Meet the Supremes" how was she billed?

I had to laugh while typing this cause I know that hundreds of fans on this forum, all went to school with her, or are from her neighborhood where EVERYONE knows her "real" name, right?

jobeterob
05-31-2012, 05:36 PM
Yep! ! ! ! !

marv2
05-31-2012, 07:35 PM
Diana was very attractive as a youngster- on top of that she was also best dressed. She just always had the looks and style.

Did you know that she won best dressed by borrowing and wearing Mary Wilson's clothes? Yep! That's right!

ralpht
05-31-2012, 07:41 PM
Actually, I probably DID go to school with Diana. I was attending Cass Tech during the years she was there. I never knew her though.

jobeterob
05-31-2012, 07:55 PM
And.......I bet you didn't know her name, know she was wearing Mary's clothes, and didn't know what a cape was then or in 1983 when she wore one!

I wonder what she thinks about people going on and on over what her name was or wasn't. She's gonna get big headed again soon.

No one ever talks about me being Bobby when I was a kid, Bob to my relatives, Rob to just about everyone and Robert to some. Whaaaaaaa

ralpht
05-31-2012, 08:34 PM
I guess I was pretty much in the dark, Bobby..er...Rob.

Penny
05-31-2012, 09:54 PM
Ralph, I'm just glad you didn't wear Mary's clothes too! It seems it was the thing to do.

Penny:p

ralpht
05-31-2012, 11:08 PM
I don't think the clothes in question even existed at that time, Penny. But if they did, I wouldn't wear them.

smark21
06-01-2012, 07:45 AM
Too bad you didn't know Diane/Diana Ross Ralph, you could have told her to stop raiding Mary's closet and wear her own clothes.

marv2
06-01-2012, 09:57 AM
Too bad you didn't know Diane/Diana Ross Ralph, you could have told her to stop raiding Mary's closet and wear her own clothes.

No , she, Diane Earle would beg and borrow them. Mary and being a good friend to everyone, Mary Wilson felt sorry for her and lent her the clothes. It's all the books.

nosey
06-01-2012, 10:06 AM
One of my best friends name is Diana but we always called her Diane.

skooldem1
06-01-2012, 10:14 AM
Girlfriends always lend each other clothes. However, it is crazy to think that Mary loaned Diana a whole wardrobe. I know Diana had a job and sometimes made her own clothes. Did Mary have a job as a teenager prior to signing with Motown records? Does anyone know if Mary also won Best Dressed at her school?

marv2
06-01-2012, 10:49 AM
One of my best friends name is Diana but we always called her Diane.

My sister is named Diane, but a few neighbors growing up would sometimes call her Diana .

marv2
06-01-2012, 10:51 AM
Girlfriends always lend each other clothes. However, it is crazy to think that Mary loaned Diana a whole wardrobe. I know Diana had a job and sometimes made her own clothes. Did Mary have a job as a teenager prior to signing with Motown records? Does anyone know if Mary also won Best Dressed at her school?

It's talked about her book and other places. Mary Wilson has always been a top dresser from early childhood on......... LOL! Flo talked about what a sharp dresser Mary was.

marybrewster
06-01-2012, 11:37 AM
DianA
DianE

Its the same damn name.

After all these years some Ross fans still fall for it.
After all these years Ross haters still look pathetic calling her that.

Did someone actually type out the following to prove a point:

"Isn't that Diane?"
"It IS Diane!"

REALLY???

Anyway, on their first album "Meet the Supremes" how was she billed?

I had to laugh while typing this cause I know that hundreds of fans on this forum, all went to school with her, or are from her neighborhood where EVERYONE knows her "real" name, right?

skooldem-

If you are going to try and call me out on a public forum, I'd prefer that you grow a set and actually use my name, rather than refer to me as "someone". I posted it. MARY With a "y" BREWSTER. Because apparently SDF is all about the "truth" and in this case, that is EXACTLY what I was posting. Or maybe you haven't heard the song? Simply stated, she is called "DianE" in the song. Even I can't make that shit up.

To quote Penny, "an "e" or an "a" at the end of her first name matters little to me." It matters little to me as well. But if we are going to have this discussion for the ten thousanth time, let's not make things look so one sided. So my post is valid and warranted.

Your bullying tactics don't scare me. I have fought off much bigger and grander than you. SkoolTHAT.

Furthermore, please do not EVER put me in the same group as the "Ross-Haters". You do not know me, therefore, you have no idea who I love or who I hate.

skooldem1
06-01-2012, 12:00 PM
LoL. Save it for someone that cares.

ralpht
06-01-2012, 12:26 PM
Skool,
Let's be cool here. I don't need any grief.

skooldem1
06-01-2012, 12:42 PM
Ralph with all due respect. What exactly did I say wrong? Tell me, exactly what the "crime" is? I am not the one that went on a tirade. So why single me out for this? If you are going to moderate, then be fair. Maybe this is not the job for you anymore. I mean any moderator of a place called "Soulful DETROIT" that even entertains the idea of cutting out the "motown" section, needs to take a break. Talk about cutting off your nose despite your face.

ralpht
06-01-2012, 01:19 PM
Skool,
With all due respect to you, all I see is a rather disrespectful " save it for someone who cares". I moderate as fairly as possible. You've been around here long enough to realize that. and if I choose to 86 the Motown room it will be my decision.

skooldem1
06-01-2012, 01:31 PM
Ralph- I have been in your corner for years, but I am sad to say that I am starting to understand some of the complaints regarding your moderating skills. It was that poster who accused me of bullying. Told me to grow a pair, and then had flash backs to all the people they had to fight in life. HUH? I don't care about that shit and I said so. So that is a crime? Just because I made reference to a "previous poster" and didn't mention their FAKE name/alter ego/stage name- I get attacked? Really?

skooldem1
06-01-2012, 01:33 PM
With that, I will end my part in this discussion. I don't want you to be overwhelmed.

ralpht
06-01-2012, 01:54 PM
I'll consider the conversation ended, Skool. Peace.

carlo
06-01-2012, 02:09 PM
http://www.threadbombing.com/data/media/54/tumblr_ky10i79Wh71qzu6nxo1_500.jpg

jobeterob
06-01-2012, 02:14 PM
Marvin was stoned for that too, couldn't tell an "a" from an "e", a cape from a jacket, and said "war is hell, when will it end, but it's just the girls"

ralpht
06-01-2012, 02:21 PM
Great shot, Robb.

marv2
06-01-2012, 03:30 PM

A friend of mine that went to High School with Mary Wilson [[he also knew Florence very well and was tight with Mary's sister Cat) said that Mary resembled a fashion model in the way she looked and dressed all through school. In his words, she looked like an "Ebony Fashion Fair Model". Only job I know she had was at a record store as a teenager. Everyone that knew Mary in Detroit describes her in a similar way when in comes to her thing for clothes, etc.

stephanie
06-01-2012, 03:37 PM
Well Marv you know Mary is the sexy one!
Stephanie

honest man
06-01-2012, 03:53 PM
Diana is THE ONE,Cheers

Penny
06-01-2012, 05:20 PM
They were all beautiful that is why they were Supreme!

Penny:cool:

Roberta75
06-01-2012, 05:42 PM
They were all beautiful that is why they were Supreme!

Penny:cool:

They sure were beautiful Penny and all of us young ladies tried to emulate them. Mary and Diane are still beautiful and if I had the money I would get me a doctor to fix my chin to be exactly like Mary Wilson's chin.

Miss Wilson has the most beautiful chin in show business.

Have a good weekend Penny.

Yours, with every good wish.

Roberta

ejluther
06-01-2012, 06:08 PM
I didn't realize Mary's chin was ever an issue; I saw the above post and googled "mary wilson chin" out of idle curiosity - of course the first things that come up are old SDF threads/posts...!

ralpht
06-01-2012, 06:12 PM
Now that got a laugh out of me ej.

Roberta75
06-01-2012, 06:27 PM
I didn't realize Mary's chin was ever an issue; I saw the above post and googled "mary wilson chin" out of idle curiosity - of course the first things that come up are old SDF threads/posts...!

I have never stated anywhere that there was an issue with Miss Mary Wilson's chin. I personally happen to find Mary's elongated chin very sensual, strong and beautiful. I admire Mary's chin a lot.

Roberta

marv2
06-01-2012, 09:04 PM
Well Marv you know Mary is the sexy one!
Stephanie

You got that right! Stephanie how have you been?

marv2
06-01-2012, 09:08 PM
I have never stated anywhere that there was an issue with Miss Mary Wilson's chin. I personally happen to find Mary's elongated chin very sensual, strong and beautiful. I admire Mary's chin a lot.

Roberta

Florence had a valentine chin. She was gorgeous!

smark21
06-01-2012, 09:27 PM
It's talked about her book and other places. Mary Wilson has always been a top dresser from early childhood on......... LOL! Flo talked about what a sharp dresser Mary was.

Oh I see….well that’s good to know that Diana borrowed Mary’s clothes rather than swiped them from Mary’s closet when Mary wasn’t looking. Does Mary mention in her book if Diane returned the clothes laundered and ironed? Or did Diane return the clothes all dirty and wrinkled and soiled and torn?

smark21
06-01-2012, 09:31 PM
Well yet another Supremes thread turns into a big fight. But to put things in perspective…Supremes fans are rather mild in comparison to the fans wars that are being waged between Madonna and Lady Gaga fans. Check out the comments in this link:

http://www.billboard.com/events/madonna-kicks-off-mdna-tour-in-israel-1007205952.story#/events/madonna-kicks-off-mdna-tour-in-israel-1007205952.story

jobeterob
06-01-2012, 09:57 PM
Diane's heisted clothes from Mary were appropriately preserved [[like Monica Lewinsky's blue dress) for DNA testing.

And at least one person on SD has the test results I'm sure.

carlo
06-01-2012, 09:58 PM
Only job I know she had was at a record store as a teenager.

Didn't Mary also work at the cleaners or am I imagining this?

Penny
06-01-2012, 11:59 PM
Dearest Carlo, did Mary work at the cleaners are get taken to the cleaners? I know something happened at the cleaners just not sure what.

Penny:eek:

juicefree20
06-02-2012, 12:55 AM
Now this is one of the funnier threads that I've read in awhile.

The tongue-in-cheek responses here are priceless & this is one of the clamest "agree-to-disagree" threads I've read in quite some time.

marv2
06-02-2012, 03:47 AM
Diane's heisted clothes from Mary were appropriately preserved [[like Monica Lewinsky's blue dress) for DNA testing.

And at least one person on SD has the test results I'm sure.

Some of the clothes had to be burned after Diane's infamous __________________ at the Brewster! LOL!!!!

marv2
06-02-2012, 03:50 AM
Didn't Mary also work at the cleaners or am I imagining this?

Carlo, it was Martha Reeves that worked at a dry cleaners I believe.

BigAl
06-02-2012, 09:30 AM
That's gotta be one of the absolutely best high school yearbook photos I've ever seen. She wore a hairstyle and a blouse/shirt which remain timeless, and she was restrained in the application of makeup. I only wish my own yearbook photos were as flattering! In addition, the photo from the same yearbook of her with the swim team, which has also been printed and posted all over the place [[and which, naturally, I cannot locate just now!), demonstrates that the posed portrait wasn't just a one-off.

captainjames
06-02-2012, 11:17 AM
Ralph are you in this yearbook? What page are you on?
The name thing with the "e" vs. the "a" is sort of juvenile to me and has gotten old. It is kind of like growing up being Christened James and everyone in the hood calls you Jim or Jimmy. No one really gives it much thought until sometimes tries to make a big deal of it.
Best dress also proves she wore her clothes well and was neat. Let’s face it you can put a million dollar dress on but, if you wear it like a cow they are not going to label you best dress ask any designer of clothes that one. It is good she was awarded this by her classmates. Good pic of Diana and there is also one of her on the swim team. Thanks for posting.

ralpht
06-02-2012, 11:55 AM
Cap,
I never graduated from Cass Tech. I got tired of the hour long bus ride each way and transferred to my local high school to graduate.

captainjames
06-04-2012, 11:46 AM
Ok, I understand.