PDA

View Full Version : Spot the Martha & Vandellas album cover in the movies

test

Calv1971
05-30-2012, 10:15 AM
I had hoped to make it 3 movies in the list, but checking the DVD copy earlier of "Hairspray" [[the original version) to make sure, i found out that i had must of dreamt it or got confused with another film, more on that later. 2 films that definetely have Martha and the Vandellas album covers in them or as follows:-
"Raging Moon" -starring Malcolm McDowell and Nanette Newman. Both play wheelchair bound lovers and in one scene there is a rack of albums on display and at the front of the rack is "Sugar and Spice".
"The Boys in the band" - a group of friends gather for a birthday party, at one point "Heatwave" starts playing [[the studio version), one of the guys sitting down is looking at the cover of "Martha & the Vandellas Live".
Going back to Hairspray, i was convinced in the scene in Motormouth Maybelle's record shop, "Watchout" was displayed somewhere, i played that scene a few times in slow motion. I did see though "Supremes a go go" [[7" jukebox ep), "Where did our love go" pic sleeve and Marvin Gaye's "Baby don't do it" pic sleeve, as this film was set in 1962/63, the props department were a little wrong there.
I have still got it in my mind that "Watchout" album cover did crop up in a movie and that like with "Hairspray" it was a movie that was set a few years before the album came out.
If anyone knows please let me know and also if any other album covers have cropped up in the movies, please also let me know.

reese
05-30-2012, 10:21 AM
I thought there were some out of date Motown album covers during one of the opening scenes in the HAIRSPRAY remake.

Calv1971
05-30-2012, 10:28 AM
Thanks reese, i did wonder that myself, will have to try and find the remake and check it out. It was an excuse also for me to watch the original "Hairspray" again for the fifty thousandish time!!!

reese
05-30-2012, 10:49 AM
I understand. When I first discovered the original film, I must have watched it every day for a couple of weeks.

marybrewster
05-30-2012, 11:17 AM
What about "Good Morning Vietnam"? Seems to me "Nowhere to Run" was featured in the movie.

Calv1971
05-30-2012, 04:35 PM
It would be a real good topic to do a list of Martha's songs featured in the movies, to me perhaps the most interesting would be "Its easy to fall in love with a guy like you" featured in the film "Hitch", how did a song that had pratically emerged from the vaults in five minutes end up being chosen for a film soundtrack. I know of 3 films that featured "Heatwave", these being "Carrie", "The Boys in the band" and "Backdraft". Probably "Nowhere to run" in "Good morning Vietnam" is probably the most famous or maybe "Wild night" in "Thelma and Louise"

reese
05-30-2012, 04:50 PM
It would be a real good topic to do a list of Martha's songs featured in the movies, to me perhaps the most interesting would be "Its easy to fall in love with a guy like you" featured in the film "Hitch", how did a song that had pratically emerged from the vaults in five minutes end up being chosen for a film soundtrack. I know of 3 films that featured "Heatwave", these being "Carrie", "The Boys in the band" and "Backdraft". Probably "Nowhere to run" in "Good morning Vietnam" is probably the most famous or maybe "Wild night" in "Thelma and Louise"

Re IT'S EASY..., I was surprised to hear that in HITCH as well. But I think most record companies now have divisions that peddle their rare copyrights. Or maybe the producer of HITCH just liked that song. A similar thing happened with a rare Miracles track. I can't recall the name of it at the moment, but it ended up on the soundtrack of a film last year.

johnjeb
05-30-2012, 06:36 PM
I think in the original Hairspray there is the picture sleeve for Baby Love which is the same cover as the WDOLG album. There's always out-of-date stuff like this in movies. As a matter of fact a pair of plaid slacks the lead male dancer is wearing in one scene are similar to slacks I once owned - but those were popular in the late-60s not in the early-60s, which is the time-frame for this movie.

One of the most bizarre photos with a Motown reference, I've ever seen, was in People magazine. It showed a ransacked room formerly inhabited by one of Saddam Hussein's sons. In the rubble was Diana Ross' To Love Again album!