PDA

View Full Version : SUPREMES/COPA #204 on AMAZON CHART!

test

Jimi LaLumia
05-29-2012, 06:28 PM
#204 for a pricey catalog piece is VERY GOOD I Think!!..
congratulations, SUPREMES![[I bought mine from Amazon, it shipped today!)

carlo
05-29-2012, 06:39 PM
I hate to rain on the parade, but anything charting on Amazon and/or Billboard these days isn't selling much as we think. Adam Lambert's album [[which is great, by the way) went to # 1 on Billboard last week and it only sold 77,000 copies. It's unfortunate that the music industry has come to a place where a # 1 album is selling less than 100,000 units.

Jimi LaLumia
05-29-2012, 06:44 PM
I can think of certain artists that still don't chart anywhere,regardless of what amount of copies are necessary to do so...lol..if you want to rain on this parade, you're inviting others to **** on your parade..let's leave it at that, after your attempt to demean the fact that this project is doing well, all things considered..

carlo
05-29-2012, 06:47 PM
I'm not attempting "to demean the fact that this project is doing well". I'm sure it will sell out eventually.

I just gave you a fact. Sometimes people don't want to hear/read the truth.

Jimi LaLumia
05-29-2012, 07:37 PM
well, your 'rain/parade' snark/opening more than showed your hand and your intent..
I am also an Adam Lambert fan and I bought his new CD, but it's easier for Amazon to move a CD for 11 bucks like Lambert's,than it is to move one at 30 some odd dollars like The Supremes, which makes Copa just missing the Top 200 quite an achievement, considering the lack of promotion for it..
\[[no radio/tv/magazine hoopla, just on line-fan oriented interest)

jobeterob
05-29-2012, 07:58 PM
Yes, sales are in the tank. I assume sooner or later all the Billboard charts are going to have to go totally digital. I think they already have a separate digital chart.

I have a question. So.........these few remaining record companies...........are they declining to pay royalties to heritage artists where the contract says the artist gets paid for albums, cassettes, 8 tracks, CDs but does not specify digital downloads? Is that the basis of a suit by a bunch of these old time artists against Universal and Warner Brothers???

I noticed in the Billboard story about Donna Summer that the sales were very small; they weren't great even after her passing. And the royalties would be paltry. But it seemed to me that the digital sales were quite significant.

These reissues for Diana Ross and The Supremes have been hugely successful which is why they keep coming. But if 10000 copies get sold for an average of $25 it is still only $250,000. I suppose Diana Ross's last Universal contract is vastly different than anything for the Supremes or that Diana initially signed ~ but it would be very interesting to see what amount of that money ended up in the producer's pockets, the record company's, the writer's and the artist's. Does $200000 of it end up with Universal?

carlo
05-29-2012, 08:42 PM
I can think of certain artists that still don't chart anywhere,regardless of what amount of copies are necessary to do so...lol..if you want to rain on this parade, you're inviting others to **** on your parade..let's leave it at that, after your attempt to demean the fact that this project is doing well, all things considered..

I really do hope it does well and I bet it will. I was fortunate to see and hear some things when this project was being worked on and have been looking forward to its release for many months. Many people are aware of my love, respect and appreciation for all things Supreme. I've been creating and updating Supremes-related websites for almost 12 years, both official and unofficial, strictly out of love for the group. I love The Supremes as much as any other fan. However, any album being in the Top 200 on Amazon doesn't "wow" me, especially in today's industry. That's my personal opinion. Take it or leave it. :cool:

Jimi LaLumia
05-29-2012, 09:24 PM
our 'meow mix' is helping sales..
it is now #185 on Amazon sales chart;
let's keep pulling each other's hair till it hits the Top 100!..lol..

bradsupremes
05-29-2012, 09:28 PM
Right now, it's #185 in overall sales and #13 in R&B sales.

Personally I think these sales charts on Amazon show that the girls can still sell and that there is still a demand for them. Sure the music sales are going downhill these days, but for an reissue that doesn't get a lot of promotion like what Jim LaLumia said except for Andy & George promoting the latest Diana/Supremes reissues on Midnight Johnny's Nightflight show; I would have to say that's pretty damn impressive for it to crack the top 200 and who knows if it will keep going higher. People kept saying that the later 70's Supremes didn't sell but I remember when the Final Sessions was released it climbed up to around #300 in overall music sales. That's impressive for the 70's Supremes.

I still think the Final Sessions should have been nominated for a Grammy for Best Historical Album. All of the expanded edition reissues deserve Grammy nominations really. They are high quality and you can feel the love and soul put into these projects. We, as Supremes fans, are so blessed that we have Andy, George, Harry and Kevin Reeves working on these projects and I'm sure the ladies are blessed to know their catalog is being handled in such a loving way. This is win-win situation for everyone.

Jimi LaLumia
05-29-2012, 09:46 PM
those who didn't buy The Copa yet, BUY IT NOW!!

carlo
05-29-2012, 09:46 PM
our 'meow mix' is helping sales..
it is now #185 on Amazon sales chart;
let's keep pulling each other's hair till it hits the Top 100!..lol..

lol. We should do this for all of the releases! :)

You know I love ya, Jimi! :D

Jimi LaLumia
05-29-2012, 09:51 PM
mucho love to all Supreme-sters....

marybrewster
05-29-2012, 09:59 PM
I may be answering my own question, so forgive me:

But does the #204 on the Amazon Sales Chart signify units sold JUST on Amazon.com? Does this include the Amazon UK as well?

Knowing that some have had their copy for a week or so tells me that many were purchased through HipO Select. I bought mine through CD WOW, so would it be safe to say that if ALL purchases were made through Amazon that that #204 ranking would be much, much higher?

ejluther
05-29-2012, 10:41 PM
Of course, charts are always relative so despite the fact that overall sales are way down the fact remains that, whether it's by 10 million copies or 10 copies, the CD is selling more than countless others to rank #185...hooray! I can't wait for my copy to arrive...

Jimi LaLumia
05-29-2012, 11:17 PM
the chart only counts toward sales made by Amazon U.S...there are separate charts for each country, and yes, if all sales were figured in ,a 'la BILLBOARD, they'd have AT LEAST a Top 50 album right about now..

Jimi LaLumia
05-29-2012, 11:21 PM
and by the way, now #158 on Amazon sales, and Top 10 on the Amazon R&B Sales chart, just entered @ #10!

jobeterob
05-30-2012, 02:06 AM
It's a hit! And I haven't bought a copy..........I've bought everything else.............but I was never a fan of the Copa album.

Yes yes...............I'll order; I know it's a betrayal on my part.

Jimi LaLumia
05-30-2012, 05:53 AM
as of this morning, #147!..will it crack the Top 100 chart on Amazon?
everyone tell somebody to buy a copy!

Roberta75
05-30-2012, 10:09 PM
as of this morning, #147!..will it crack the Top 100 chart on Amazon?
everyone tell somebody to buy a copy!

Why don't you purchase multiple copies and give them out as gifts? You seem obsessed with making this a hit. I think it's really wonderful that this CD has been released but fans who obsess with chart statistics are beyond my comprehension.

Roberta

Jimi LaLumia
05-30-2012, 10:13 PM
how about sports fans who can spout statistics? it depends what kind of fan you are..
and no one is forcing you to read this particular thread...
and the better that this release does, the more it insures that we'll get more such gems..

ejluther
05-30-2012, 10:34 PM
but fans who obsess with chart statistics are beyond my comprehension.
Chart statistics = more releases, no matter how current or vintage the artist is. It's as simple as that. If people didn't buy it, they wouldn't make any more of it. We want more of it so we love that people are buying it. I know you love Martha Reeves so wouldn't it please you to no end to see her back on the charts [[as she was recently, if I'm not mistaken)?

Roberta75
05-30-2012, 11:03 PM
Chart statistics = more releases, no matter how current or vintage the artist is. It's as simple as that. If people didn't buy it, they wouldn't make any more of it. We want more of it so we love that people are buying it. I know you love Martha Reeves so wouldn't it please you to no end to see her back on the charts [[as she was recently, if I'm not mistaken)?

I was delighted to see the first Lady of Motown Miss Martha Reeves back on the charts but I wasn't telling everyone I know to buy a copy. :D

Roberta

Jimi LaLumia
05-30-2012, 11:10 PM
well maybe you should have because it's gone without a trace..
after a few scant weeks on a minor chart..

144man
05-31-2012, 06:30 AM
I was delighted to see the first Lady of Motown Miss Martha Reeves back on the charts but I wasn't telling everyone I know to buy a copy. :D

Roberta

The higher that the "Supremes at the Copa" charts, the greater the chance will be of "Martha & Vandellas at the Copa" being released. Consequently. although I'm not that big a fan of live recordings, I shall be buying a copy and making sure anyone else I know who might buy the record knows about its release.

marybrewster
05-31-2012, 08:48 AM
The higher that the "Supremes at the Copa" charts, the greater the chance will be of "Martha & Vandellas at the Copa" being released.

Who is your source, 144man?

jobeterob
05-31-2012, 12:43 PM
If these projects were not selling, they would stop. So they are obviously commercially viable as well as critical successes.

I agree ~ buying any and all of these, no matter who they are by, is important.

I'm sure that several of us can recall comments that some of the early releases did not sell very well and I bet it remains a hard sell to try and get a release on the less successful and well known artists.

Roberta75
05-31-2012, 12:46 PM
The higher that the "Supremes at the Copa" charts, the greater the chance will be of "Martha & Vandellas at the Copa" being released. Consequently. although I'm not that big a fan of live recordings, I shall be buying a copy and making sure anyone else I know who might buy the record knows about its release.

I would love to have Miss Martha Reeves live at the Copa on CD. That said, I'm not fanatical enough to tell everyone I know to rush out and buy a copy.

Best to you,

Roberta

Penny
05-31-2012, 01:24 PM
That's okay Roberta! I forgive you! Ha Ha

Penny:D

smark21
05-31-2012, 08:49 PM
We should buy as many copies as possible. We can always use the spares as coasters.

franjoy56
05-31-2012, 11:57 PM
i am buying my copy by amazon this weekend or maybe J&R Music world, I heard disc 2 in Atlantic City the booklet is fabulous, as well as the packaging, I like the original Copa album better but there are some great tracks on disc 2 that was not on disc 1, my only complaint was it seems Flo's mike was turned down and Mary's mike turned up that how I heard it, and I heard it in my hotel room and a friend bought over a boise cd player so it was really pumping the orchestra sounded like it was in my room.

copley
06-01-2012, 05:19 AM
Down to 300 this morning, looks like it's peaked!

Jimi LaLumia
06-01-2012, 05:55 AM
as far as the Amazon chart numbers go, it has already outperformed all the previous releases!!

144man
06-01-2012, 07:27 AM
Who is your source, 144man?

I have no inside source. It just seems a logical assumption to make.

smark21
06-01-2012, 07:48 AM
Down to 300 this morning, looks like it's peaked!

Buy more copies, buy more copies. Let's be like the Claymates and buy 10's of copies. Chart position is paramount!

stephanie
06-01-2012, 03:32 PM
I am highly pleased with this Copa Expanded Edition I got mine yesterday along with Diana Ross Live in Central Park. What is interesting about this is on the second disc Mary is heard more in the background at times and the sound quality is excellent. I like the version on Disc 1 of Make Someone Happy than I do the one on Disc 2 and when it comes to the mono and stereo I dont notice much difference I guess I am not an essential audiophile when it comes to these things. Enjoy Yourself has Mary singing a verse after Diana and I can hear some people in the audience yelling "come on Florence" for her to sing. Tonight is a great addition to this CD and when you listen to it loudly it seems like you are there to witness this historic night. Also it was good to see pics I had never seen of them performing. Ross may have been the lead singer but listening to this its truly a group effort. George and Andy thank you for another addition to my listening pleasure,
Stephanie

ejluther
06-04-2012, 12:33 PM
I've now had time to really absorb this new Expanded Edition of AT THE COPA and it's simply wonderful! The show as presented on Disc 2 is truly the definitive version in my book now - the sound quality alone puts it head and shoulders above the original release, not to mention the newly reinserted songs that give us the full Copa experience. Of course the photos and liner notes are top-notch and I only wish there was video/film of the engagement, too [[there's not, is there?). It's just a real gift to have this in my collection, especially so soon after the last A+ Expanded Edition, MORE HITS....in fact, if someone wanted to contact the company directly about appreciating and loving these releases, what's the best address [[both email and physical) to use? I want to do all I can to make sure they keep on comin' like this!

Supremes fans everywhere are incredibly fortunate to have people like George Solomon, Andy Skurow and Harry Weinger working so hard and lovingly to release such "Supreme" CD packages [[not to mention all the other great releases they work on...) - we all own them a huge debt of gratitude from the bottom of our Supremes-lovin' hearts!

Kamasu_Jr
06-07-2012, 10:35 AM
I appreciate the work that went into producing At the Copa, but it's a dull album in my opinion.

RossHolloway
06-07-2012, 10:48 AM
I think the Copa is a great live album. The band is outstanding and the Supreme's were just full of electric engergy. I could only imagine how proud Berry Gordy was of the group that night.