PDA

View Full Version : Workshop Jazz albums

test

Calv1971
05-29-2012, 05:23 PM
Have bought a few of these original albums just recently and have quite enjoyed them. I have dug out Don Waller's book "The Motown Story" and began to search more of them on Ebay etc. I was pleasantly surprised to see "Compositions of Charlie Mingus" by Pepper Adams and "Beat" by Roy Brooks are actually available on CD, both on the Fresh Sound label.

Roger Polhill
05-29-2012, 05:29 PM
Thanks for that Calv, I`ll check them out.

mysterysinger
05-29-2012, 05:58 PM
Also available on CD is Earl Washington's Relfections.

Calv1971
05-29-2012, 06:43 PM
Thanks for the Earl Washington CD info Mysterysinger, there was one left on Amazon UK, a Japanese import, so i bought it there and then.

mysterysinger
05-29-2012, 07:15 PM
Nice one. Glad to be of help.

R. Mark Desjardins
05-30-2012, 07:46 PM
Calv1971 & Mysterysinger;
Thanks for the heads up on the the Roy Brooks and Earl Washington Workshop Jazz recordings being available on compact disc. That was happy news to me, as I have long been curious to hear artists on this label. I had been aware of the Pepper Adams release being available in Europe some time ago as an import, and its great to see it being available in North America with the original cover art. It was also available on vinyl as a limited 500 copy release. In case anyone is interested, I have a story to relate about the time I met Pepper Adams posted as part of my review of his "Compositions of Charlie Mingus" album on amazon.com. What a cool guy he was. Surely missed, and without a doubt, the best jazz artist on the short lived Workshop Jazz roster.