PDA

View Full Version : Martha & The Vandellas Copa Debut… JUNE 22, 1968

test

skooldem1
05-29-2012, 09:49 AM
MARTHA & THE VANDELLAS DEBUTS THE COPA… JUNE 22, 1968
May 29th, 2012 From the MCRFB news archives:

Martha Reeves & The Vandellas Rock [[and Soul) It to ‘Em; Wows ‘Em in the Big Apple

NEW YORK — Martha Reeves and the Vandellas, three sparkling ambassadors from Motown country in Detroit, delivered soul music downtown to the Copacabana on Thursday, June 20, to weather a spell on prom-happy students and other scholars of the soul sound.

Martha Reeves, the tall beauty who delivers the major sock in the group’s soul, marshalled the Vandellas through an opening-night traffic jam of steps, fancy hand symbols and harmonies. They sang “Ready For Love,” “Come And Get These Memories” and “Heatwave,” a medley of the trio’s golden goodies, then jumped into “Nowhere To Run” and “Honey Chile,” a booming gospel chorus punched through and through with that Motown magic.

The Copa debut of the Gordy artists touched off an in-person sit-in by Motown dignitaries and artists who loyally ringed the first-level stage. Smokey Robinson, Diana Ross of the Supremes and Berry Gordy presided over a crowd that also included Arthur Prysock and local deejay Hal Jackson. The Vandellas sand “I Can’t Help Myself,” originally by the Four Tops several years back, another stellar Motown act.

Martha Reeves and the Vandellas excited the Rhythm and Blues buffs with three encores with such materials as “Dancing In The Streets,” one of their best sellers, and “I Promise To Wait My Love,” their latest release off the Gordy label. Miss Reeves, smooth and stylish on with her soulful renditions throughout the evening on stage, also sang a cover of the Ruby & The Romantics hit, “Our Day Will Come,” while accompanied by famed soul guitarist David T. Walker. The solo, which Miss Reeves strung along with vocal agility, suddenly turned into a rock revival as the Vandellas chipped in with the echo/reverb machine on, while drummer Melvin Jones turned up the beat laced with rapid rhythmic brushes and strokes.

“Nobody Knows The Trouble I’ve Seen” and “He Love Me, He Needs Me” also delighted the crowd into frenzied rippling applause and spontaneous standing ovations. END.

[[Information and news source: Billboard; June 22, 1968).

http://www.mcrfb.com/?p=13267

cheekylincs
05-29-2012, 10:09 AM
Thanks for that - found it really interesting. Would be fantastic to see a recording of this finally see the light of day at some point soon. I know there are recordings of Martha & The Vandellas at The Copa but alas I fear hell will freeze over before it ever gets released

Roger Polhill
05-29-2012, 05:51 PM
It`s quite a bit different from the track listing for the shelved album.

lakedistrictlad1
05-30-2012, 05:02 AM
PULLLLEEEEEASE Hip-O can we have an official release of Martha & The Vandellas at the Copa. I'm sure a lot of us on the board here have heard this in one form or another and it is a great live set. Better than their 20 Grand live album in my opinion.

How about a 2cd set with all the live recordings on the Vandellas. Wouldn't that be something?

cheekylincs
05-30-2012, 06:26 AM
PULLLLEEEEEASE Hip-O can we have an official release of Martha & The Vandellas at the Copa. I'm sure a lot of us on the board here have heard this in one form or another and it is a great live set. Better than their 20 Grand live album in my opinion.

How about a 2cd set with all the live recordings on the Vandellas. Wouldn't that be something?

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE HIP-O!!!!!!!!!! I haven't even heard the Copa recording yet...........I can't find any version of it it anywhere!! Any ideas where I might find it lakedistrictlad1 please

copley
05-30-2012, 07:14 AM
I agree that Martha's 'Copa' is simply the best live Motown album ever :)

marv2
05-30-2012, 09:28 AM
That was a very nice read. I was happy to see Hal Jackson mentioned. He passed away here last week and his funeral is tomorrow in Manhattan.

carlo
05-30-2012, 10:10 AM

That would be nice!

Calv1971
05-30-2012, 10:23 AM
I totally agree with Lakedistrictlad, this would absolutely wonderful, so everyone who wants this to be released, please post your wish for it here.
Its been ages since anything on Martha has been released, not even another compilation of the usual [[but absolutely wonderful) tracks.
Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaassssssssssseeeee eeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !

justanothermotownfan
05-30-2012, 11:37 AM
Since I've been in COPA mode since hearing The Supremes and TheTemptations lately, I would be very interested in a Vandellas/COPA CD. In fact, I'd love both the mono and stereo versions of their live [[at The Roostertail) album as I understand they are both completely different shows [[ mono v stereo).

Roger Polhill
05-30-2012, 05:43 PM
I would think that a live project on Martha & the Vandellas with all available tracks would be very desirable especially as she is so often in the news. I can`t wait to place my order.