PDA

View Full Version : Hal jackson - r.i.p.

test

juicefree20
05-23-2012, 06:46 PM
It's just come in that legendary DJ Hal Jackson has passed away at the age of 96.

Hal Jackson - R.I.P.

http://www.bet.com/news/national/2012/05/23/radio-pioneer-hal-jackson-dead-at-96.html

juicefree20
05-23-2012, 07:02 PM
It's hard to describe just how huge & how influential Hal Jackson was. For those of us in the N.Y. area, Hal was definitely one of the most respected broadcasters there was.

A D.C. native, in 1939 Hal broke new ground as the first African-American DJ at Washington's WINX, as well becoming the first Black inducted into National Association of Broadcaster's Hall of Fame in 1990. Despite his origins, it's safe to say that most of us in the tri-state area thought of Hal as our own. I last saw Hal at Harlem Week with his lovely wife Deborah [[Debi B)& Hal was doing well & didn't look at all to be a gentleman who was 80, must less in his 90s.

Many of us will remember Hal for his Hal Jackson Talented Teens International Scholarship Competition & his WNJR broadcast from Palisades Park in the late 60s. Hal was also a co-founder of the Inner City Broadcasting Corporation, which owned WLIB-FM, which later became WBLS-FM. And several generations of us within the tri-state area will remember Hal for his Sunday Classics radio show.

For a few generations of us, Hal's passing is akin to that of an old friend or relative & his passing is yet another reminder of a bygone era, when radio men actually were RADIO MEN as opposed to entertainers, sadly, an era never to return.

My condolences to his wife Deborah, his family, friends & fans of all ages everywhere.

marv2
05-23-2012, 08:07 PM
This is a shocker. I have listened to Hal Jackson since the late 80's. There is no way I would guest that Hal Jackson was anywhere near 90 years old, let alone 96! He is more than an icon, he is apart of the fabric of life here in New York. I will miss him greatly~ God Bless you and RIP Mr. Jackson. Thank you for everything.

Marv

marv2
05-23-2012, 09:43 PM
Every major and minor Soul , R&B artist has met Hal Jackson and probably 80% of them can thank them for record sales and career boosts over the years. He's played everyone! He knew everyone!

timmyfunk
05-23-2012, 09:49 PM
The Godfather Of NY Black Radio has left the building. R.I.P to Mr. Hal Jackson.

splanky
05-24-2012, 05:40 AM
I can't express how much Hal has meant to me for so long, even when I wasn't here in NY. An era indeed has ended. I
highly recommend his autobiography; he truly knew and impacted so many of our so called stars in radio and even film
too. Jada Pinkett Smith was one of Hal's Talented Teens. Felix Hernandez considered him his idol and a pioneer. As
Bootsy Collins would say : That's All She Wrote, The Pencil Broke..RIP Hal, We loved you madly...

nysister
05-24-2012, 10:05 AM
It's hard to describe just how huge & how influential Hal Jackson was. For those of us in the N.Y. area, Hal was definitely one of the most respected broadcasters there was.

A D.C. native, in 1939 Hal broke new ground as the first African-American DJ at Washington's WINX, as well becoming the first Black inducted into National Association of Broadcaster's Hall of Fame in 1990. Despite his origins, it's safe to say that most of us in the tri-state area thought of Hal as our own. I last saw Hal at Harlem Week with his lovely wife Deborah [[Debi B)& Hal was doing well & didn't look at all to be a gentleman who was 80, must less in his 90s.

Many of us will remember Hal for his Hal Jackson Talented Teens International Scholarship Competition & his WNJR broadcast from Palisades Park in the late 60s. Hal was also a co-founder of the Inner City Broadcasting Corporation, which owned WLIB-FM, which later became WBLS-FM. And several generations of us within the tri-state area will remember Hal for his Sunday Classics radio show.

For a few generations of us, Hal's passing is akin to that of an old friend or relative & his passing is yet another reminder of a bygone era, when radio men actually were RADIO MEN as opposed to entertainers, sadly, an era never to return.

My condolences to his wife Deborah, his family, friends & fans of all ages everywhere.

Let the Church say Amen!!!

smark21
05-24-2012, 09:38 PM
Here's an another obit. A remarkable life.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/25/nyregion/hal-jackson-pioneer-in-radio-and-racial-progress-dies-at-96.html?pagewanted=2&ref=arts

marv2
05-24-2012, 11:24 PM
Let the Church say Amen!!!

That's right sister! God Has Spoken....... AMEN!

We were lucky to have Hal Jackson for all these years and may he now rest in peace!

marv2
05-24-2012, 11:26 PM
Almost every promient R&B Artist including the ones from Motown have done a spot on his radio show. He even nicknamed the Supremes......"The Supremskis"! LOL!!!

daddyacey
05-26-2012, 02:53 AM
He will truly be missed but respected , especially by those of us old enough to remember the Talented teen days and Palisades Park days. Without him there would have not been any Chief Rocker or Kiss FM or "Urban Contemp" genre. One of the GRANDFATHER's of Black Commercial radio.