PDA

View Full Version : Mary Wilson! Interview from Hawaii.

test

marv2
05-22-2012, 12:42 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CwBc8ehbXQ&feature=relmfu

marv2
05-22-2012, 12:44 AM
Here's part II. She doesn't remember anything about the Supremes past concerts in Hawaii. Not even that time Linda sang lead. LOL!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpTUvfDaVOw&feature=relmfu

blueskies
05-22-2012, 08:34 AM
I had to laugh, Marv....when I first saw the picture....it looked like Mary was being interviewed in a police station! Kinda scared me! he he Thanks for posting.

milven
05-22-2012, 09:05 AM
I had to laugh, Marv....when I first saw the picture....it looked like Mary was being interviewed in a police station! Kinda scared me! he he Thanks for posting.:D:D

They sure do not spend a lot of money for dressing rooms in Hawaii. Folding chairs, concrete walls. Mary's suggestion to have the interview on stage would have been the way to go. I'm trying to make sense of her outfit. Interesting choice of colors. Here is link to another interview by Mary discussing the sudden and surprising death of Donna Summer. Mary considered her a friend.

http://ca.music.yahoo.com/blogs/hip-hop-media-training/donna-summer-illness-surprised-friend-supremes-member-mary-062212234.html

marybrewster
05-22-2012, 09:30 AM
I'm trying to make sense of her outfit.

You and me both.

marv2
05-22-2012, 11:19 AM
I had to laugh, Marv....when I first saw the picture....it looked like Mary was being interviewed in a police station! Kinda scared me! he he Thanks for posting.

It does doesn't it? With the bare walls and all. LOL! I think he did a good job. His facial expressions were priceless LOL!!!

milven
05-22-2012, 11:53 AM
Just watched the interview that Marv posted above. Her opinion on the state of the music industry was interesting and I agree with her. There are no more mom/pop stores to buy music. She again says that her record is coming out next month, but there is no label. It can only be downloaded. I guess the delay she is having is that she is working on some kind of distribution deal.

Didn't she contradict herself in one segment? First she said that she kept diaries throughout her career and that is how she wrote the books. Then the interviewer asked her questions - submitted by a listener - about her trip to Hawaii in the seventies. She had no recollection of anything significant that happened. Then she asked the listener to send her his remembrances so that she can use them in her next updated book. Couldn't she just check her detailed diaries. I think the interviewer was trying to get her to talk about Jean being sick and new Supreme Lynda doing the lead.

Mary also mentioned that Smokey produced the Supremes early records and then did stuff for Mary individually in the seventies and mentioned Floy Joy. That wasn't Mary. That was the Supremes.

Many of us already have Life's Been Good To Me which we obtained one way or another. It will be nice to have it officially available on I-Tunes, Amazon, etc. I had to listen to the song a few times, but it finally grew on me. Just wish the mix had her more in foreground rather than buried further back.

Penny
05-22-2012, 12:27 PM
Milven, I understand what you are saying but I can't remember much from the seventies myself and it is getting harder and harder to remember what I had for lunch even yesterday! :D

Unless Miss Mary Wilson had her dairies right in front of her she couldn't reference them. I guess I'm trying to say with the career she has had and for the length of time it has gone on I give her a pass on memory lapses.

I hope you will do the same for me. :cool:

Your AVON friend;
Penny

milven
05-22-2012, 12:47 PM
.... I guess I'm trying to say with the career she has had and for the length of time it has gone on I give her a pass on memory lapses.

I hope you will do the same for me. :cool:

Your AVON friend;
Penny

I will, and I hope you'll do the same for me. I've had more than my share of memory lapses. :o.
I do find it interesting that fans seem to remember more about a performer's career than the performer remembers. Of course, they're busy doing do it on a daily basis, and it is impossible to remember everything that's happened in a career.

luke
05-22-2012, 01:14 PM
Yes and Im sure she didnt write everything in her diaries. I vaguely remember school and jobs I had in seventies but few specifics.

R. Mark Desjardins
05-22-2012, 01:24 PM
There's something very personable and totally disarming about Mary Wilson that really touches the heart.

marv2
05-22-2012, 03:15 PM
Yes and Im sure she didnt write everything in her diaries. I vaguely remember school and jobs I had in seventies but few specifics.

I am having a hard time remembering my 7th Grade homeroom teacher! LOL!

blueskies
05-22-2012, 03:28 PM
I am having a hard time remembering my 7th Grade homeroom teacher! LOL!

You're way ahead of me.............I barely remember what I had for breakfast. I'm getting a little nervous with all this 'memory talk'!

thisoldheart
05-23-2012, 05:40 AM
good interview! it was interesting to hear mary say that many interviewers don't even know who they are talking to! this guy did a fine job. if it was me, iknow i would have a million questions and tons of notes!

lakedistrictlad1
05-23-2012, 07:12 AM
Can you imagine spending day after day talking about what you did in your life 25 or 35 years ago? It would send me completely mad.
Us fans pour over the ancient history of these artists and so it is current in our minds. Sometimes it's hard to understand that they don't do the same thing. They are too busy living in 2012.

marv2
05-23-2012, 09:20 AM
Just watched the interview that Marv posted above. Her opinion on the state of the music industry was interesting and I agree with her. There are no more mom/pop stores to buy music. She again says that her record is coming out next month, but there is no label. It can only be downloaded. I guess the delay she is having is that she is working on some kind of distribution deal.

Didn't she contradict herself in one segment? First she said that she kept diaries throughout her career and that is how she wrote the books. Then the interviewer asked her questions - submitted by a listener - about her trip to Hawaii in the seventies. She had no recollection of anything significant that happened. Then she asked the listener to send her his remembrances so that she can use them in her next updated book. Couldn't she just check her detailed diaries. I think the interviewer was trying to get her to talk about Jean being sick and new Supreme Lynda doing the lead.

Mary also mentioned that Smokey produced the Supremes early records and then did stuff for Mary individually in the seventies and mentioned Floy Joy. That wasn't Mary. That was the Supremes.

Many of us already have Life's Been Good To Me which we obtained one way or another. It will be nice to have it officially available on I-Tunes, Amazon, etc. I had to listen to the song a few times, but it finally grew on me. Just wish the mix had her more in foreground rather than buried further back.

I heard her say that Smokey produced her while in the Supremes in the 70's [[some of OUR material) then sang "Floy Joy". I am happy she did not mention Diana Ross because she gets attacked for that. Other than that, I think it was a very pleasant, thoughtful interview.

milven
05-23-2012, 11:52 AM
Hi Marv, Seems like we are both right. I heard the first part and you heard the second part. I went back and listened again and this is what she said

"...Later, Smokey produced for me as an individual on some of our seventies materiel and it was Floy Joy.....He has been really prominent in our lives in terms of producing..."

But I am nit-picking. I misinterpreted her statement. And, I agree with you that it was a very pleasant, thoughtful interview.

marv2
05-23-2012, 04:13 PM
Hi Marv, Seems like we are both right. I heard the first part and you heard the second part. I went back and listened again and this is what she said

"...Later, Smokey produced for me as an individual on some of our seventies materiel and it was Floy Joy.....He has been really prominent in our lives in terms of producing..."

But I am nit-picking. I misinterpreted her statement. And, I agree with you that it was a very pleasant, thoughtful interview.

I'm telling you Mary is not bitchy or selfish like some others. She is one of those special people that goes WAY out of her way to give and to get people their proper credit in life. That is one of the reasons she performed live with the Funk Brothers at the East and West premiers of "Standing in the Shadows of Love". One one T.J.'s PBS Specials where Mary co hosted, she did not run from Louvain Demps, she embraced her onstage in front of everyone. Those are just a few examples.

You also notice in that clip that she referred to Smokey as "Smokey Robinson OF THE MIRACLES!"