PDA

View Full Version : I Hear a Symphony LP

test

longtimefan
05-16-2012, 07:47 PM
It seems that The Supremes' I HEAR A SYMPHONY LP will be the next "expanded edition" for the group [[not Diana solo) from HipO. I am wondering besides the obvious stereo and mono versions of the original album's tracks, what else might we expect on this CD? I guess there may be an alternate version or two. Any other ideas?

sup_fan
05-16-2012, 09:30 PM
i believe there were 2 other songs [[that i know of) that were recorded during the Symphony sessions that didn't make the final lp. Let The Music Play i think had the backing track but didn't get vocals in time. All Of A Sudden [[My Heart Sings) was recorded and completed but cut. it's on the There's a Place For Us expanded edition that came out a few years ago.

there are a few different versions of the released tracks too - mono and stereo versions of title track. and a few others have some differences. I'm curious to see what other MOR songs might have been prepared

Similar to George's comment with the Copa set and how it's so interesting to hear the girls' progression on later live recordings, i think it's also interesting to hear the HDH progression. they produced IHAS and it's a good set. but some of the production choices might not have been the best IMO. the mixing and arranging of the orchestral backgrounds sometimes is overworked and things get out of balance. but then listen to the tracks from the aborted Broadway to Hollywood lp that was included on There's A Place For Us. the tracks are lush and beautiful. these are also HDH productions and you can really appreciate how they grew too

jobeterob
05-17-2012, 01:22 AM
All of these projects for Ross and the Supremes must have sold reasonably well or we wouldn't be having Baby It's Me, Symphony, C & W & Pop and Funny Girl planned. Are Funny Girl and C & W & Pop being packaged together?

Ngroove
05-17-2012, 03:38 AM
i believe there were 2 other songs [[that i know of) that were recorded during the Symphony sessions that didn't make the final lp. Let The Music Play i think had the backing track but didn't get vocals in time. All Of A Sudden [[My Heart Sings) was recorded and completed but cut. it's on the There's a Place For Us expanded edition that came out a few years ago.

Don't think we missed all that much on the cutting of "All of a Sudden" all these years anyways; just another cover, and let's face it; after hearing what Mel Carter turned that song into, every other version of that song is a mediocrity; yes, even the original.

carlo
05-17-2012, 08:15 AM
On Nightflight, Andy mentioned they would be releasing the unreleased 1966 live Roostertail show as part of another project. It makes me wonder if perhaps this show will be on Disc 2 of the "I Hear A Symphony" Expanded Edition?

sup_fan
05-17-2012, 12:39 PM
Carlo - i was wondering that too. or perhaps as they expand A Go Go. a lot of those tracks were already on L&F so Roostertail might help fill out A Go Go expanded edition too.

wonder if the concept lp release will stand alines or combined? perhaps they might combine CW&P, Same Cooke, LIverpool and Funny Girl into one set. don't know how much unreleased content there really is. maybe there's enough for stand alone discs but i think with these sets the songs recorded and the takes was a little more limited. they weren't as focused on "sound' as they were the concept. plus combining would guarantee strong sales. but who knows - maybe there are all sorts of alt versions

lakedistrictlad1
05-18-2012, 06:52 AM
I can't wait to have the Disney collection in full. I made my own compilation up years ago with my own artwork. I always thought this picture of the girls looked like it was shot for the cover of the Disney album.

johnjeb
05-18-2012, 07:08 AM
Nice work lakedistrictlad1.

honest man
05-18-2012, 07:27 AM
Lakedistrictlad1 check PM Cheers.

lakedistrictlad1
05-18-2012, 09:53 AM
@Thanks johnjeb.

@honest man - let me check at home and i'll drop you a note tomorrow. I'm happy to help if I can.

longtimefan
05-18-2012, 10:12 AM
Wow, Lakedistrict1! Your Disney mock cover is one of the best that I have ever seen. Motown could adopt it and go to press TODAY! :-) Seriously, it is terrific.

Mock covers were once a very popular thread on SDF. Perhaps your work will ignite new interest!

kenneth
05-18-2012, 10:21 AM
Love the Disney artwork, except I think Dopey is looking a little too lasciviously at Mary!

lakedistrictlad1
05-18-2012, 01:00 PM
Thanks for the kind reviews. I'm a graphic designer by profession. So Harry/Andy - if you read this...I'd happily design a cover for free!!

Motown4Ever518
05-18-2012, 05:12 PM
First Rate Cover!

zani57
05-18-2012, 10:41 PM
LakeDistrict, it shows that you are a graphic designer. That is an excellent cover. Great work!

SupremeBoy
05-20-2012, 06:58 PM
That's an amazing cover. Totally love it!

jeff9nyc
05-20-2012, 07:57 PM
Thanks for the kind reviews. I'm a graphic designer by profession. So Harry/Andy - if you read this...I'd happily design a cover for free!!

lakedistrictlad1 if you are a graphic designer by profession, you should be paid for your work. Universal is a multi-billion dollar business/industry with a budget for graphics. Do not sell your services short. In the long run people respect what they pay for! You deserve to get paid for something Universal would make hundreds and thousands of dollars on. Show Harry Weinger your book! I guarantee that the other designers got paid for all the albums and CD...even Andy Warhol for Silk Electric! Good luck! I'll keep my fingers crossed for you...even though it will make it hard to type.

franjoy56
05-22-2012, 06:12 PM
i wonder what songs are a part of the Symphony set that were omitted that will find its way to this project now.
there are only a couple of Supremes songs on the Symphony album that I like and MWIEWY was not one of them.
I do love "Any Girl in Love" "Stranger in Paradise [[stereo version) Unchained Melody and "He's All I Got" and The Toys
Lovers Concerto. This album was clearly the beginning of Diana's showcase and closeup vocally.

johnjeb
05-22-2012, 07:16 PM
i wonder what songs are a part of the Symphony set that were omitted that will find its way to this project now.
there are only a couple of Supremes songs on the Symphony album that I like and MWIEWY was not one of them.
I do love "Any Girl in Love" "Stranger in Paradise [[stereo version) Unchained Melody and "He's All I Got" and The Toys
Lovers Concerto. This album was clearly the beginning of Diana's showcase and closeup vocally.

Not one of my favorite albums. I hardly ever play it. Only 6 songs made it to my iPod. I rarely play the CD because Side 1 is such a drag - not even as entertaining as Rodgers & Hart.

Although the songs sound fine, this then 16 year-old could have done without Stranger In Paradise, With A Song In My Heart and Without A Song. Now, at 62, I never yearn to hear these songs. The album would have been more of a classic had they omitted these dull standards. But what do I know, the album made it to #8 and was on the Billboard charts for 55 weeks.

It will be interesting to see what the Expanded Edition will include apart from mono and stereo versions.

I have always thought Side 1 should have been all music-related songs: With A Song In My Heart [[if we must), I Hear A Symphony, Lovers' Concerto, Unchained Melody, Let The Music Play [[which I hear was intended for this album), and maybe Sound Of Music [[from the sessions for the "There's A Place For Us" unreleased album), or some other music-themed songs.

Side 2 could have been as is, substituting Yesterday for Concerto. That is generally the side I used to listen to the most. It did seem a little uneven, however. All-in-all a nice album, with a few great songs, but not a great album.

Motown4Ever518
05-22-2012, 08:16 PM
At 11-12 years of age, I did not have the funds to buy an album of any artist, if I did, my brothers and I were not allowed to listen to any "pop" music in our house at the time. Growing up in Philly that was hard to enforce outside of the house since fortunately music was everywhere I am happy to say. I am also happy that my older sister who was away at college helicopterd in for a few months after graduating from college and moving to another state to begin her career. Among the items that she left at our house during this transition was this album, and I liked it, especially the non-Motown material. In looking back, as with the Tempt's In A Mellow Mood, this lp was a great way to expose young folks to music at large, that they may not have heard were it not for two of the biggest groups at the time doing these songs.

Jimi LaLumia
05-22-2012, 08:38 PM
I love this album, I especially love SIDE ONE, my late mom lived for this album, and I adore it, and very much look forward to the expanded edition, it could possibly be the finest SUPREMES album...ever!