PDA

View Full Version : "Nightflight" Tue May 15, 9P-12M ET:"Supremes at the Copa" with Andy & George!

test

midnight johnny
05-15-2012, 07:01 AM
Ladies and Gentlemen...Tonight...the premiere broadcast and internet airing of "The Supremes at the Copa...the Expanded Edition"...the newest and fresh off the presses release from Universal Music and Hip-O Select!

And if that's not enough for you, joining me for the first in-depth interview on the production of this landmark chronicle ...UMG producers Andy Skurow and George Solomon. Andy and George will shed light on not only what was involved in the research of the 1965 live LP [[that was much more than it seemed at the time of recording due to major technical difficulties), but what was involved in the remixing of the original stereo LP, the mono versions, and the complete live stereo performances, previously unreleased.

A HUGE thanks not only to Andy and George for joining me tonight, but to Harry Weinger VP of A & R at Universal for making all this possible, and to Kevin Reeves, master engineer, for making yet another Motown expanded edition nothing less than beautiful.

SDF folks....please feel free to post any questions you may have for Andy and George about the "Copa" release. And do join Andy and George and me tonight...on "Nightflight"....on WOMR 92.1 FM Provincetown and WFMR 91.3 FM Orleans and streaming live worldwide in digital stereo at www.womr.org [[http://www.womr.org)

Thanks! John

PS....no phone calls tonight, please...thanks!

midnight johnny
05-15-2012, 07:13 AM

marybrewster
05-15-2012, 08:32 AM
I've got my straw hat and cane ready!

midnight johnny
05-15-2012, 12:29 PM
I've got my straw hat and cane ready!

....and I want to see that huge ring of blue and white flowers around your neck too, lady....

mwmr
05-15-2012, 02:13 PM
How can I listen to this in the uk? Is it available to listen to after?

dba
05-15-2012, 02:30 PM
MJ:

Haven't logged onto SDF for a while. Posts were putting me off but with Hip O releasing At The Copa, I thought one of your interview shows would be in the offing and so it is.

Glad I logged in and very happy you are continuing the new tradition of having Andy and George on to talk about the new remasters.

Will fix myself a cocktail and sit "stage side" for your show and of course for D, M & F.

Hope you are well.

dba

midnight johnny
05-15-2012, 02:45 PM
How can I listen to this in the uk? Is it available to listen to after?

I think the show will air at 2am GT on Wed for you on the internet at www.womr.org
[[http://www.womr.org you) You will be able to listen in a couple of weeks after I edit the music out. It's a copyright thing....

midnight johnny
05-15-2012, 02:46 PM
MJ:

Haven't logged onto SDF for a while. Posts were putting me off but with Hip O releasing At The Copa, I thought one of your interview shows would be in the offing and so it is.

Glad I logged in and very happy you are continuing the new tradition of having Andy and George on to talk about the new remasters.

Will fix myself a cocktail and sit "stage side" for your show and of course for D, M & F.

Hope you are well.

dba

Well....welcome back, son! David...great to have you back for the show tonight!

Sacramento John
05-15-2012, 03:22 PM
Thanks John for making these available as "podcasts" I have really enjoyed listening to the ones you have made available. It is so good to listen to the podcast after receiving the CD set. Then I go back & play it again having heard George & Andy talk about various tracks... and get a whole deeper level of appreciation [[and enjoyment!) for the music, the artist and the Hipo Team! I wonder if George is still "Holding his Own?"
Since I can't join you "live" this evening, I will be highly anticpating the podcast.
When are you going to do a "Live from the Motown Vault" interview show? Can you record a show from "the vault" and then broadcast one evening. That would be a blast to hear!

midnight johnny
05-15-2012, 05:31 PM
Thanks John for making these available as "podcasts" I have really enjoyed listening to the ones you have made available. It is so good to listen to the podcast after receiving the CD set. Then I go back & play it again having heard George & Andy talk about various tracks... and get a whole deeper level of appreciation [[and enjoyment!) for the music, the artist and the Hipo Team! I wonder if George is still "Holding his Own?"
Since I can't join you "live" this evening, I will be highly anticpating the podcast.
When are you going to do a "Live from the Motown Vault" interview show? Can you record a show from "the vault" and then broadcast one evening. That would be a blast to hear!

John...thank you so much....and you are so welcome. Glad you enjoy the podcasts. Sorry you can't be with us tonight. I'm wondering how you knew that last night I was talking with Andy about doing a "Live from the Motown Vault" show.....scaryyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy [[*smile)

sophisticated_soul
05-15-2012, 06:29 PM
Gray skies are gonna clear up, put on a :). See you all at the Copa!:cool:

midnight johnny
05-15-2012, 06:37 PM
Gray skies are gonna clear up, put on a :). See you all at the Copa!:cool:

My;) is ALWAYS happy when i see you here.....

ejluther
05-15-2012, 07:17 PM
Thanks, midnight johnny! You're the best!

midnight johnny
05-15-2012, 07:31 PM
Thanks, midnight johnny! You're the best!

Eric.....I don't know....I think maybe YOU are [[*smile)

carlo
05-15-2012, 07:47 PM
Looking forward to tonight's show! :) "Grey skies are gonna clear up..."

midnight johnny
05-15-2012, 07:57 PM
Looking forward to tonight's show! :) "Grey skies are gonna clear up..."

Great to have you, Carlo!

sophisticated_soul
05-15-2012, 07:57 PM
My;) is ALWAYS happy when i see you here.....

Aw shucks, John.:cool:

carlo
05-15-2012, 08:16 PM
Thank you Midnight Johnny!

Hey, Sophie is here! :)

JimBagley
05-15-2012, 08:18 PM
Have a blast tonight, John.

Glenpwood
05-15-2012, 08:22 PM
Hi John,

Cant wait for 9 o'clock to come. Theres something magical that happens when you Andy and George get together. You just need to convince Kevin to join in. The remastering really makes this album sound like your sitting ringside swilling dry martinis and ducking twirling canes hehe.

See everyone there.....

lovechild
05-15-2012, 08:38 PM
Hi Johnny, Andy & George...

Wow the show is about to begin and i still can't decide what to wear!

Have fun @theCopa everyone! :)

sophisticated_soul
05-15-2012, 08:51 PM
Hey, Sophie is here! :)

Hey Carlo!:cool:

sophisticated_soul
05-15-2012, 08:57 PM
Wow the show is about to begin and i still can't decide what to wear!

I'm wearing my high school colors, blue & white!:)

midnight johnny
05-15-2012, 08:59 PM
Jim...Glen....and Tony.....So glad you guys are here at the Copa!!!!

lovechild
05-15-2012, 09:00 PM
I'm wearing my high school colors, blue & white!:)
yes you look Fine Joseph but I think I will just wear my dirty raggedy scarf...

sophisticated_soul
05-15-2012, 09:02 PM
yes you look Fine Joseph but I think I will just wear my dirty raggedy scarf...

It's Copa night! Wear your clean raggedy scarf!:D

carole cucumber
05-15-2012, 09:03 PM
I always sneeze when I wear a dirty raggedy scarf! Thank goodness Diana, Mary & Flo weren't allergic to feathers!

marybrewster
05-15-2012, 09:04 PM
Good evening mj, Andy and George!

johnjeb
05-15-2012, 09:04 PM
Loving this Expanded Edition...looking forward to tonight's show.

MotownSteve
05-15-2012, 09:05 PM
Hi John,
Sounds like a promising show.

marybrewster
05-15-2012, 09:12 PM
Okay, here's my burning question:

It seems to me there are TWO "back covers" on the original "Copa" LP.

What's the story behind that?

lovechild
05-15-2012, 09:13 PM
It's Copa night! Wear your clean raggedy scarf!:D

yes for sure! :)

midnight johnny
Carole and marybrewster and Steve and JohnJeb.....Welcome!!!!

MotownLover
Looking forward to THE show tonight, MJ!

Howard in Long Beach, CA :o

carole cucumber
05-15-2012, 09:14 PM
Mary Wilson mentioned in "Dreamgirl:My Life As A Supreme" that Flo was justing getting over the flu when they appeared at the Copa. As I don't have my copy of the expanded edition yet - Do the liner notes make any mention of this? Is Flo's voice stronger on the selections on Disc 2, pieced together from several nights?

lovechild
05-15-2012, 09:14 PM
I always sneeze when I wear a dirty raggedy scarf! Thank goodness Diana, Mary & Flo weren't allergic to feathers!

LOL i washed it last week Carole!

floyjoy678
05-15-2012, 09:16 PM
I got a question; don't remember where I read it but I remember reading somewhere that the Supremes performed "Mother Dear" at the Copa, how true is this?

Glenpwood
05-15-2012, 09:17 PM
Useless piece of trivia......

The album that stopped At The Copa from peaking in the top 10 of Billboard Top LPs chart by jumping over it to land at 10 from being at 13 the prior week behind Copa which was at 12 was Eddy Arnold's My World.....

MotownLover
05-15-2012, 09:20 PM
Thanks for being here tonight Andy and George and for your dedication in working on these Hip-o Select Motown releases. Thanks also to Harry and Kevin too!

I don't recollect how many nights The Supremes appeared at The Copa and how many nights were recorded?

Also, were "the girls" getting along fairly well at this time in their career?

Just wondering...Howard in Long Beach, CA :cool:

johnjeb
05-15-2012, 09:21 PM
My 2 mono albums from 1965 have the drawing. My stereo copy, also from 1965 - but a cut-out, does not have the drawing.

carole cucumber
05-15-2012, 09:24 PM
Chronologically, [[excepting theme albums) I Hear a Symphony should be next. Please, Andy & George, say that all songs have been mixed to stereo... please, please , please,
pretty please with sugar on it.

midnight johnny
05-15-2012, 09:26 PM
Looking forward to THE show tonight, MJ!

Howard in Long Beach, CA :o

Welcome, Howard!!!

carole cucumber
05-15-2012, 09:27 PM
We heard it loud and clear!

marybrewster
05-15-2012, 09:28 PM
Okay, here's my burning question:

It seems to me there are TWO "back covers" on the original "Copa" LP.

What's the story behind that?

Thank you guys.

marybrewster
05-15-2012, 09:32 PM
Sorry to be piggish with questions, but, maybe you can give some insight or expert opinion. :)

"Copa" reached #11 on the Billboard Albums chart. "Copa" incidentally was released the same day as "Merry Christmas". Do you suppose had they had separate release dates that it may have charted higher?

carole cucumber
05-15-2012, 09:42 PM
J. Randy Taraborelli mentions in his last biography of Diana Ross that when the Supremes appeared at the Roostertail on January 17, 1966 their opening number was "Tonight' from West Side Story. Was this show taped? Is the opening really 'Tonight' or is it 'The Way You Look Tonight? Has the same mistake been made in the recording of the title as was done for At The Copa?

Glenpwood
05-15-2012, 09:46 PM
Hi Mary,

These were the albums that we're charting above Copa the week it peaked...
01/01/66
1 Whipped Cream And Other Delights - Herb Alpert
2. The Sound Of Music - Soundtrack
3. Welcome To The LBJ Ranch - Various Artists
4. Going Places - Herb Alpert & The TJB
5. Decembers Children - The Rolling Stones
6. Beach Boys Party - Beach Boys
7. The Best Of Herman's Hermits - Herman's Hermits
8. Harum Scarum - Elvis Presley
9. My Name Is Barbra, Two - Barbra Streisand
10. My World - Eddy Arnold

This chart probably reflected last minute Xmas shoppers so a lot of people put The Copa under the tree that year. A number 11 placing is great in such a competitive shopping season. It would've probably gone top 5 likely in the off season if it had come out a month or two later. You have to remember its also a great showing for an album with no current single on it.

More Hits By The Supremes was still charting at 46, Where Did Our Love Go at 86, and they were featured on Motortown Review In Paris down at 125. Merry Christmas wasn't allowed to chart due toa rule excluding Holiday LPs at the time...l.

carole cucumber
05-15-2012, 09:55 PM
You little finger-snapper, you Mr. Midnight johnny!

sup_fan
05-15-2012, 09:56 PM
question on "Put on a Happy Face"

this song was included in Diana's Forever box set but clearly a different mix/recording that the one originally released on At Copa. any info on where this is from or the situation?

carole cucumber
05-15-2012, 09:58 PM
Mr. Johnny,
When you edit out the music for your podcast, will you be able to pull out & keep George & Andy's comments that were bleeding through as you played the mono version of 'Put On A Happy Face'?

drlorne
05-15-2012, 10:06 PM
Thank you John, Andy and George for a great night. It makes me appreciate Diana Ross' "specialness" in being able to pull up that energy in a studio that existed in an audience performance. Thanks John for putting this on tonight and Andy and George for your love of motown.
Do you think the Marvelettes or Martha would have been able to pull this off? All 3 of these performers seemed committed to the hard work and constructive criticism that honed their performances.
Lorne

drlorne
05-15-2012, 10:09 PM
Hi George, Andy and John:
Great show, thank you so much.
Lorne

Jimi LaLumia
05-15-2012, 10:15 PM
enjoying the show very much, first time I've been around to hear it 'live'

carole cucumber
05-15-2012, 10:18 PM
I just lost you for a moment.. you're back.. there's wavering.. you're gone, you're back now.

carlo
05-15-2012, 10:20 PM
When you played "Where Did Our Love Go" during the broadcast, it was skipping a lot...:confused:;):p

drlorne
05-15-2012, 10:21 PM
WOW! the power and excitement of the recording. I can hardly wait to get my 2 copies [[car and home)!
Lorne

marybrewster
05-15-2012, 10:22 PM
Oh, and another question: sorry!

Obviously this is a "live" recording, but: was any additional "applause" added to the tracks? Or is what you hear truly what was going on?

carole cucumber
05-15-2012, 10:24 PM
Curious... Mary comes through so strongly in the background where words are sung in unison, but Flo is heard in the blending of ahh's and oohs [[harmonizing)

carole cucumber
05-15-2012, 10:28 PM
Diana would likely say 'George... you're breaking up over us".

midnight johnny
05-15-2012, 10:29 PM
Hi George, Andy and John:
Great show, thank you so much.
Lorne

Lorne....welcome....so good to see you after so long!

marybrewster
05-15-2012, 10:30 PM
Hi Mary,

These were the albums that we're charting above Copa the week it peaked...
01/01/66
1 Whipped Cream And Other Delights - Herb Alpert
2. The Sound Of Music - Soundtrack
3. Welcome To The LBJ Ranch - Various Artists
4. Going Places - Herb Alpert & The TJB
5. Decembers Children - The Rolling Stones
6. Beach Boys Party - Beach Boys
7. The Best Of Herman's Hermits - Herman's Hermits
8. Harum Scarum - Elvis Presley
9. My Name Is Barbra, Two - Barbra Streisand
10. My World - Eddy Arnold

This chart probably reflected last minute Xmas shoppers so a lot of people put The Copa under the tree that year. A number 11 placing is great in such a competitive shopping season. It would've probably gone top 5 likely in the off season if it had come out a month or two later. You have to remember its also a great showing for an album with no current single on it.

More Hits By The Supremes was still charting at 46, Where Did Our Love Go at 86, and they were featured on Motortown Review In Paris down at 125. Merry Christmas wasn't allowed to chart due toa rule excluding Holiday LPs at the time...l.

Great information. Thank you Glenpwood.

drlorne
05-15-2012, 10:30 PM
Hi John:
Thanks--great show.

carole cucumber
05-15-2012, 10:34 PM
Fascinating information Andy. Mucho gracias1

rod_rick
05-15-2012, 10:37 PM
John
George mention that there is a great Live recording of Jean Mary and Cindy from 1970. Is there a possibility of that being released/?
Thanks
Rod

carole cucumber
05-15-2012, 10:42 PM
Andy ,
I believe that you were not talking under the mono 'Put On A Happy Face , but George has not denied it. I know that I heard a voice talking underneath while the song was playing.
I wouldn't have commented further on it, but Johnny asked publically that I do so.

helga
05-15-2012, 10:42 PM
Yes, I heard talking during "Put On A Happy Face" as well.

carole cucumber
05-15-2012, 10:44 PM
John
George mention that there is a great Live recording of Jean Mary and Cindy from 1970. Is there a possibility of that being released/?
Thanks
Rod

I'd love to hear that, but George and Andy have stated on previous shows that they're going to do more 60's Supremes for a while before they even consider the 70's...
UNLESS , they've changed their mind!!!

Jimi LaLumia
05-15-2012, 10:47 PM
will a live version of RETURN TO LOVE ever be released on CD?

marybrewster
05-15-2012, 10:47 PM
When you played "Where Did Our Love Go" during the broadcast, it was skipping a lot...:confused:;):p

I noticed that too?

helga
05-15-2012, 10:48 PM

Will it be released with Shantel Baker's overdubs?

Will the day come between Sunday and Monday?

marybrewster
05-15-2012, 10:49 PM

Sweet Jesus I hope not.

Glenpwood
05-15-2012, 10:53 PM
Hi guys,

Now that we've been getting these expanded editions on The Supremes and Diana at a quicker rate lately is that the goal to keep up at this pace or do we need to be patient for Cream Of The Crop in 2047?

marybrewster
05-15-2012, 10:53 PM
OH! Was Mary Wilson involved in this release at all, as she has been in the past?

carlo
05-15-2012, 10:56 PM
If Universal ever decides to release another Supremes Anthology, it would be cool to release an expanded version of the original 1974 Anthology with the original artwork reproduced in a digi-pack. I would love that :) I think it would appeal to die-hard collectors and the general public.

texassoul
05-15-2012, 10:59 PM
Hi John. So sorry I'm late again. Am I out of the "club"?? ;o)

Mike Wheeler
Houston, Texas

sup_fan
05-15-2012, 11:01 PM
evening Johnny - asked earlier but might be "lost" on page 1 :) had a question about Put on a Happy Face. on Diana's Forever Box Set, there's a version on there that's quite different from the Copa lp. any info?

carole cucumber
05-15-2012, 11:07 PM
Johnny, would you please play 'You're Nobody 'Til Somebody Loves You?'. Is Sammy Davis, Jr. on it yelling "All right girl. You tell it like it is!"? Inquiring minds want to know.

midnight johnny
05-15-2012, 11:10 PM
Hi John. So sorry I'm late again. Am I out of the "club"?? ;o)

Mike Wheeler
Houston, Texas

Mike....not at all...WELCOME.........you are always part of the party!!

midnight johnny
05-15-2012, 11:12 PM
evening Johnny - asked earlier but might be "lost" on page 1 :) had a question about Put on a Happy Face. on Diana's Forever Box Set, there's a version on there that's quite different from the Copa lp. any info?

Welcome sup_fan....I will pose your question!!!!

rod_rick
05-15-2012, 11:14 PM
On some of the recording it appears that Mary is brought up more in the mix, was that an effort your part or are those different performances?
ROd

Glenpwood
05-15-2012, 11:15 PM
2047 would be about right if we expand everything plus throw in the concept albums seperately and a few unreleased projects like Disney and live albums plus rexpand previous things like Xmas and Rogers & Hart at a yearly to 18 month cycle. Thankfully i'll only be celebrating my 29th birthday since I sold my age to Walmart to get the rollback on it hehe.

Hopefully I'll be retired from everything except my love of the girls.....

carole cucumber
05-15-2012, 11:17 PM
Andy & George,
The Diana box version of Put On A Happy Face is mono. I recall a reviewer mentioning how the box set kept going from mono to stereo to mono with no rhyme or reason....

sup_fan
05-15-2012, 11:19 PM
Johnny - with the Deluxe sets, like WDOLG, is that pretty much the exhaustive collection for songs recorded during this period? i realize they just mentioned that there might be alt versions that they're saving for other collections. but aside from that, is this pretty much the majority of the tunes from late 63 - late 64?

carole cucumber
05-15-2012, 11:20 PM
Andy,
You're in the third hour and you did say that you would make an announcement of what's coming next.........

drlorne
05-15-2012, 11:21 PM
Ethel Mertz ---great line-- thanks George.

carlo
05-15-2012, 11:23 PM
The releases will soon be credited to Andy Skurow & the Georgettes. :)

carole cucumber
05-15-2012, 11:23 PM
Flo is so strong on Nothing But Heartaches. Which days performance is this from?

sup_fan
05-15-2012, 11:24 PM
yeah! :*

thanks Johnny

carole cucumber
05-15-2012, 11:26 PM
Something just hit me....
George, you said you're in Pittsburgh with your brother. Doesn't your brother have a computer? [[I hope that this is not too personal a question)

kenneth
05-15-2012, 11:30 PM
To those of you who didn't get to listen, they announced that current projects being worked on include expanded versions of both Diane's "Baby It's Me" and the Sups' "I Hear a Symphony."

A few minutes later, they also teased that at least two of the concept albums were coming down the line as well, by mentioning the songs "Whistle While You Work" [[from "Disney") and "The Music That Makes Me Dance" [[from "Funny Girl").

rod_rick
05-15-2012, 11:32 PM
There have been so much talk about the Andantes singing on the Diana, Mary Cindy tracks. How about a actual Diana Ross and the Supremes with NO ANDANTES

carlo
05-15-2012, 11:34 PM
Can we expect to hear any more unreleased songs with Flo on lead? Or have all of Flo's leads been released at this point?

carole cucumber
05-15-2012, 11:37 PM
That makes 2 new Jean Terrell songs you've mentioned on John's show. Can't wait. Also please officially release 'That's How Much You Made Me Love You' and 'Stepping On A Dream' I'd also love a stereo version of 'Can't Get You Out Of My Mind'

kenneth
05-15-2012, 11:38 PM
Lovin' the Sam Cooke medley!

carole cucumber
05-15-2012, 11:41 PM
The releases will soon be credited to Andy Skurow & the Georgettes. :)

I bet there'd be a lot of takers who'd want to be to be part of the Georgettes [[sidekicks to Andy's sidekick).

carole cucumber
05-15-2012, 11:42 PM
Did someone just open a wrapper or was that you Johnny playing a quick castanet on the Sam Cooke medley?

supremester
05-15-2012, 11:43 PM
I interviewd Gil for hours and he discussed Copa at length. Tidbits: He & Gordy disagreed vehemently about the opening. Gil preferred From The Moment On, Berry liked Happy Face. He also said Diana would get changes every day and sometimes got lost and they blamed each other during the show, but the audience thought it was part of the act. He also said Berry was so rough on her that Gil would sometimes have to leave the rehearsal............anywaygreat job, boys!

Gregg

sup_fan
05-15-2012, 11:44 PM
always loved their Sam Cooke medley. but imagine if it was arranged to include Flo closing with Ain't That Good News!

marybrewster
05-15-2012, 11:45 PM
As the show is winding down, just wanted to send hugs, love and drag queen kisses to mj, Andy and George for a COPAcetic Tuesday evening! xo

kenneth
05-15-2012, 11:45 PM
always loved their Sam Cooke medley. but imagine if it was arranged to include Flo closing with Ain't That Good News!

Yes, yes! That would be fantastic.

kenneth
05-15-2012, 11:48 PM
As the show is winding down, just wanted to send hugs, love and drag queen kisses to mj, Andy and George for a COPAcetic Tuesday evening! xo

That's hilarious!

supremester
05-15-2012, 11:52 PM
Was there ever an Overture at The Copa? Is there more closing applause/chatter?

PS: I love The Andantes!

Gregg

carole cucumber
05-15-2012, 11:54 PM
To those of you who didn't get to listen, they announced that current projects being worked on include expanded versions of both Diane's "Baby It's Me" and the Sups' "I Hear a Symphony."

A few minutes later, they also teased that at least two of the concept albums were coming down the line as well, by mentioning the songs "Whistle While You Work" [[from "Disney") and "The Music That Makes Me Dance" [[from "Funny Girl").
They also mentioned Sunset [[Supremes Sing Country Western & Pop)

kenneth
05-15-2012, 11:55 PM
They also mentioned Sunset [[Supremes Sing Country Western & Pop)

Oh great! I didn't catch that one. But C&W and the Sam Cooke are my favorite of the concept LPs, so I'll look forward to it.

carlo
05-15-2012, 11:56 PM
Thank you for the great show guys and thank you for answering my question! :)

sophisticated_soul
05-15-2012, 11:57 PM
Great interview John, George and Andy! Thanks everybody, have a great week! See you next time.:cool:

lovechild
05-15-2012, 11:58 PM
Thank you for a super show tonight guys!

Glenpwood
05-16-2012, 12:00 AM
John, Andy, and George,

Thank you for all your hard work in exposing these great songs to the public and a very entertaining evening. I always have a great time learning the inside scoop on some of my all time favorite albums.... Everyone have a great week!

midnight johnny
05-16-2012, 12:00 AM
And thank YOU ALL too for a wonderful show....could NOT do it without you! Have a great week!
Thank you Andy and George for EVERYTHING!

carole cucumber
05-16-2012, 12:01 AM
Thanks Johnny, Andy & George for a great evening and show. Enjoyed it immensely . Yunz guys are the bestest!

dba
05-16-2012, 07:54 AM
So glad I stayed up late and listened.

Too bad I now have to wait until Amazon ships.

Sounds like lots of good stuff coming down the line.

rod_rick
05-16-2012, 03:43 PM
John
Great show last night with George and his sidekick Andy or is it Andy and his sidekick George :) BTW I did not mean to offend the Andantes when I asked for a Diana Ross and the Supreme album without the Andantes, it's just the only reperesentation that we have without the Andantes are the live album. Again, great show. ALso John, you need to crank up your car and drive to the vaults since you have a fear of flying and help the fellows out, then you can become a sidekick LOL

ejluther
05-16-2012, 03:46 PM
Hell, midnight johnny, I'll come to P-Town, pick you up and drive you to the vaults myself as long as I can come in, too! ;)

jeff9nyc
05-16-2012, 05:38 PM
I interviewd Gil for hours and he discussed Copa at length. Tidbits: He & Gordy disagreed vehemently about the opening. Gil preferred From The Moment On, Berry liked Happy Face. He also said Diana would get changes every day and sometimes got lost and they blamed each other during the show, but the audience thought it was part of the act. He also said Berry was so rough on her that Gil would sometimes have to leave the rehearsal............anywaygreat job, boys!
Gregg

I think it was the other way around from everything I've read...Berry preferred From The Moment On, Gil and everyone else at Motown liked Happy Face.

johnjeb
05-16-2012, 06:23 PM
Oh great! I didn't catch that one. But C&W and the Sam Cooke are my favorite of the concept LPs, so I'll look forward to it.

I caught the "Sunset" comment too. That got my attention. And I suppose finally getting "Funny Girl" on CD will be worth it.

Of the concept albums that have not already had some form of "Expanded" treatment C&W is my favorite followed by Liverpool, Funny Girl and then Sam Cooke. The first two I have at least 6 songs from each album on my iPod and only Flo's "Good News" from Sam Cooke, nothing from Funny Girl even though I burned it to CD-R years ago.

John, the show was great. Lots of interesting comments from Andy and George. Thanks to the three of you for an entertaining evening.

midnight johnny
05-16-2012, 10:16 PM
Hell, midnight johnny, I'll come to P-Town, pick you up and drive you to the vaults myself as long as I can come in, too! ;)

Now, Eric....don't make promises you can't keep!

jobeterob
05-17-2012, 01:20 AM
Kenneth...............thanks for the synopsis of what is coming; I missed the show but it's great to know Baby It's Me, I Hear A Symphony, Funny Girl & C & W & Pop are coming. That's what I was reading through looking for. Thanks.

supremester
05-17-2012, 02:00 AM
It may have been, but both Gil and Harvey Fuqua told uit the same way. Gil told several stories about it, so I think it was how I said. Well, not stories, exactly, but "incidences."
I think it was the other way around from everything I've read...Berry preferred From The Moment On, Gil and everyone else at Motown liked Happy Face.

ejluther
05-17-2012, 06:30 AM
Now, Eric....don't make promises you can't keep!
I'm assuming the vaults are in L.A., yes?

midnight johnny
05-17-2012, 11:43 AM
I'm assuming the vaults are in L.A., yes?

Nope....NYC!!!

midnight johnny
05-17-2012, 11:45 AM
Thanks Johnny, Andy & George for a great evening and show. Enjoyed it immensely . Yunz guys are the bestest!

Carole...and thank YOU! Your'e the NUTS!:rolleyes:

midnight johnny
05-17-2012, 11:46 AM
So glad I stayed up late and listened.

Too bad I now have to wait until Amazon ships.

Sounds like lots of good stuff coming down the line.

David....I'm so glad too....and thanks!

midnight johnny
05-17-2012, 11:48 AM
John
Great show last night with George and his sidekick Andy or is it Andy and his sidekick George :) BTW I did not mean to offend the Andantes when I asked for a Diana Ross and the Supreme album without the Andantes, it's just the only reperesentation that we have without the Andantes are the live album. Again, great show. ALso John, you need to crank up your car and drive to the vaults since you have a fear of flying and help the fellows out, then you can become a sidekick LOL

Rod...[[*smile)....thanks...glad you could be a part of it!

midnight johnny
05-17-2012, 11:51 AM
I caught the "Sunset" comment too. That got my attention. And I suppose finally getting "Funny Girl" on CD will be worth it.

Of the concept albums that have not already had some form of "Expanded" treatment C&W is my favorite followed by Liverpool, Funny Girl and then Sam Cooke. The first two I have at least 6 songs from each album on my iPod and only Flo's "Good News" from Sam Cooke, nothing from Funny Girl even though I burned it to CD-R years ago.

John, the show was great. Lots of interesting comments from Andy and George. Thanks to the three of you for an entertaining evening.

Thanks, John, being part of the show!

midnight johnny
05-17-2012, 12:00 PM
John, Andy, and George,

Thank you for all your hard work in exposing these great songs to the public and a very entertaining evening. I always have a great time learning the inside scoop on some of my all time favorite albums.... Everyone have a great week!

Glen...thanks so much...have a great week yourself. And thanks for the always fascinating stats. I appreciate it!

midnight johnny
05-17-2012, 12:04 PM
Thank you for a super show tonight guys!

Tony...thanks so much!!!!

midnight johnny
05-17-2012, 12:07 PM
Great interview John, George and Andy! Thanks everybody, have a great week! See you next time.:cool:

Joseph....thank YOU!!! See you too next week!

midnight johnny
05-17-2012, 12:08 PM
Thank you for the great show guys and thank you for answering my question! :)

Thanks for coming, Carlo....and we ONLY answer the most EXCELLENT questions [[*grin)

midnight johnny
05-17-2012, 12:10 PM

marybrewster....thanks for always being COPAmazing!!!

ejluther
05-18-2012, 09:07 AM
Nope....NYC!!!
Really? Well, I'm about 60 miles from NYC - they're just sitting there calling out...

greg jones
11-22-2012, 02:39 PM
Joining SD in Oct 2012, i missed this show... does anyone have an mp3 that they can send me.

greg jones
los angeles, ca