PDA

View Full Version : R.I.P. Belita Woods

test

juicefree20
05-14-2012, 06:44 PM
I just got a call informing me that Belita Woods passed away about an hour ago from an apparent heart attack.

I loved her work with Ollie McLaughlin, as well as her work with Brainstorm.

My sincere condolences to her family, friends & fans.

Belita Karen Woods - R.I.P.

timmyfunk
05-14-2012, 06:56 PM
Oh my heart is heavy right now. R.I.P lovely Belita.

juicefree20
05-14-2012, 07:09 PM
Timmy,

Indeed!

Belita was behind some of my favorite music from "This Must Be Heaven", to "We're On Our Way Home", to "Lovin' Is Really My Game" to "Hot For You". It was years later somewhere in the late 80s when I discovered "My Magic Corner" or one of those Solid Smoke reissues of Ollie McLaughlin material on Moira & Karen.

juicefree20
05-14-2012, 07:11 PM
I just checked my e-mail & as I understand that some prefer a little more confirmation that a phone call, as it's likely that this won't be reported in mainstream news just yet, here's a statement from Billy Wilson & The Motown Alumni Association...

"I am in tremendous sorrow over the death of our close friend Belita Woods [[former lead singer of Parliaments Funkadelics and Brainstorm. She died less than 1 1/2 hours ago. She died of apparent heart failure.
Belita Karen Woods Born: October 23, 1948 died: May 14, 2012

No funeral information is available yet. But when there is... I will let everyone know."

Billy Wilson

Motown Alumni Association

imnokid
05-14-2012, 07:59 PM
Bettye got the call from Pat Lewis a couple of hours ago. Sadly, it is true.

timmyfunk
05-14-2012, 09:13 PM
Timmy,

Indeed!

Belita was behind some of my favorite music from "This Must Be Heaven", to "We're On Our Way Home", to "Lovin' Is Really My Game" to "Hot For You". It was years later somewhere in the late 80s when I discovered "My Magic Corner" or one of those Solid Smoke reissues of Ollie McLaughlin material on Moira & Karen.

And she was a vital member of Parliament-Funkadelic family since 1992, prominently featured on albums like TAPOAFOM and "How Late...". I can't begin to tell you how heavy my heart is right now.

P-Shark: The Revenge
05-14-2012, 09:13 PM
Oh my gosh! I am truly shocked. Did have the pleasure of talking to her during the TAPOAFOM autograph signing in Rasputin Records in Berkeley
The cd wasn't even out yet but we prepaid it and got the cd insert sleeve covers to have it signed.
While signing it, Belita was checking the artwork for the first time.
Thanks for your kindness Belita and God bless your soul

timmyfunk
05-14-2012, 09:18 PM
Oh my gosh! I am truly shocked. Did have the pleasure of talking to her during the TAPOAFOM
The cd wasn't even out yet but we prepaid it and got the cd insert sleeve covers to have it signed.
While signing it, Belita was checking the artwork for the first time.
Thanks for your kindness Belita and God bless your soul

Got her to sign two Brainstorm albums for me the last time I saw her. She seemed genuinely appreciative of the fact that people still dug Brainstorm. That women never came at me with any kind of negativity. Always made you feel like you knew her for years. The phrase 'down to earth' doesn't even come close.

mark speck
05-14-2012, 09:27 PM
Sad news...she was an incredibly talented lady...RIP, Belita, and thank you... :[[

Best,

Mark

juicefree20
05-14-2012, 09:28 PM
Timmy

Thank you for pointing out her P-Funk connection, don't know how I forgot to mention that.

I thought that I'd have gotten the chance to meet her during one of my trips to Detroit. Unfortunately, I never did.

It would've been nice to be able to give her a thanks for being one of the voices on more than a few records that were a big part of my youth. I forgot to give her a shout-out for her performance on Brainstorm's remake of Stevie's "Everytime I See You I Go Wild".

I wasn't able to attend the benefit for her last June, but I was really hoping that she was getting stronger & would be back into the swing of things.

EDIT---I apologize, I meant to say that her benefit was last May.

timmyfunk
05-14-2012, 09:51 PM
Timmy

Thank you for pointing out her P-Funk connection, don't know how I forgot to mention that.

I thought that I'd have gotten the chance to meet her during one of my trips to Detroit. Unfortunately, I never did.

It would've been nice to be able to give her a thanks for being one of the voices on more than a few records that were a big part of my youth. I forgot to give her a shout-out for her performance on Brainstorm's remake of Stevie's "Everytime I See You I Go Wild".

I wasn't able to attend the benefit for her last June, but I was really hoping that she was getting stronger & would be back into the swing of things.

EDIT---I apologize, I meant to say that her benefit was last May.

All the more reason why I cherished any and every moment I've spent with her.

05-14-2012, 09:53 PM
Got her to sign two Brainstorm albums for me the last time I saw her. She seemed genuinely appreciative of the fact that people still dug Brainstorm. That women never came at me with any kind of negativity. Always made you feel like you knew her for years. The phrase 'down to earth' doesn't even come close.
Yeah she had a great spirit. I've been thinking of all the traveling that P-Funk has done and what effect it has on their health. Rushing from one gig to another with little sleep.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RubfHjDuTT4

juicefree20
05-14-2012, 10:07 PM
Timmy

For me, she's one of the few whom has gotten away. From the way that you & P-Shark have described her, she sounds like yet another musical icon of my youth whom I'd have enjoyed getting to know.

juicefree20
05-14-2012, 10:09 PM
P-Shark

I should've known that you would beat me to it. Thanks.
As for me, here's my favorite Belita performance...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-Fe2-ikAjM

juicefree20
05-14-2012, 10:10 PM
By the way guys, would there be a live performance of the above floating around somewhere out there?

timmyfunk
05-14-2012, 10:20 PM
That I'm not sure of Juice. I will be digging into my own archives to launch my own tribute to get me through the night.

paladin
05-14-2012, 11:03 PM
RIP to a very talented Lady, GT called and told me today. I'm simply outdone.

juicefree20
05-14-2012, 11:12 PM
Timmy:

Thanks, I know if it's out there you or P-Shark will dig it up!

Paladin:

I've been thinking about this for awhile & I think that situations such as this is one of the sadder parts of meeting & getting to know our musical icons.

I never got to meet Belita & am sorry about that but had I done so, unfortunately she'd be a part of what's sadly become a ever-growing list of childhood icons whom have left us much too soon.

I'm going to go through my pictures one of these days & create a thread honoring them & sadly, it looks like there's going to be a lot of pictures from 2004 to date.

05-14-2012, 11:27 PM
Here you go Juice.
http://www.amazon.com/George-Clinton-Parliament-Funkadelic-Montreux/dp/B0009H1CKG/ref=sr_1_18?ie=UTF8&qid=1337051725&sr=8-18

juicefree20
05-14-2012, 11:48 PM
Thanks P-Shark,

Now would you know of a live version of "This Must Be Heaven"?

I know that I'm grabbing at rainbows here but...

uptight
05-15-2012, 12:36 AM
I been listening to Brainstorm a lot the past few years. And I remember when their records came out. So sorry to hear about her passing. I wish I had met her. May God bless her soul.

chidrummer
05-15-2012, 02:35 AM
Man, P-Funk like so many bands I grew up with are just disappearing before my eyes. RIP Belita and thanks so much for the music.

paul1970
05-15-2012, 05:03 AM
I really loved her vocals on Every Time I See You, I Go Wild! from Journey To The Light.

Really the entire album.

Sad news..R.I.P.

splanky
05-15-2012, 05:45 AM
Damn....
Just damn....
RIP, Belita...

milven
05-15-2012, 08:39 AM
By the way guys, would there be a live performance of the above floating around somewhere out there?

This Must Be Heaven is one of my favorite songs. Can't find a live performance but her is a live version of the song by Lamont Johnson, former bassist, singer, arranger & composer of Brainstorm. It is from his second solo album. It includes Original Brainstorm members Trenita Womack & Belita Woods on vocals, percussion & flute.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUqMOWws4mY

paladin
05-15-2012, 11:38 AM
Paladin:

I've been thinking about this for awhile & I think that situations such as this is one of the sadder parts of meeting & getting to know our musical icons.

Most recently I felt that way about Ali Woodson.

marv2
05-15-2012, 12:17 PM
This is another big one. Belita was one of the truly great and underrated vocalists. Her's was one that had that Detroit feel all the way. She was hugely popular in the city and elsewhere. I extend my condolences to her family, friends and fans of which I am eternally one....

RIP Belita

Marv

Amithesameboy
05-15-2012, 12:49 PM
Wasn' t she the great uncredited vocalist on Ron Banks magnificent version of " Make it easy on yourself " on his " Truly bad " Lp ?

marv2
05-15-2012, 03:33 PM
P-Shark

I should've known that you would beat me to it. Thanks.
As for me, here's my favorite Belita performance...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-Fe2-ikAjM

A masterpiece! This was actually like an anthem in the Detroit-Toledo area during that era.

marv2
05-15-2012, 03:34 PM
Wasn' t she the great uncredited vocalist on Ron Banks magnificent version of " Make it easy on yourself " on his " Truly bad " Lp ?

You that is a good question because I always believed that was Belita on there with Ron.

paladin
05-15-2012, 04:55 PM

yes.......

juicefree20
05-15-2012, 05:40 PM
Amithesameboy & Paladin,

Thank you for that info because I never knew that. I never got around to consulting the liner notes on that LP.

Paladin, re. Ali... I met him a few times in Detroit & here at a couple of shows. I can't say that I knew him well, but he was always cool & always friendly to me.

scatman44
05-16-2012, 02:36 PM
The late Amy Winehouse's entire vocal style [[see Tears Dry On Their Own) is straight out of Belita Woods 101!

Amithesameboy
05-16-2012, 03:13 PM
Amithesameboy & Paladin,

Thank you for that info because I never knew that. I never got around to consulting the liner notes on that LP.

Paladin, re. Ali... I met him a few times in Detroit & here at a couple of shows. I can't say that I knew him well, but he was always cool & always friendly to me.

And had you got around to consulting them you would have been none the wiser as she was uncredited on the LP ! A bad omission.

marv2
05-16-2012, 03:39 PM
And had you got around to consulting them you would have been none the wiser as she was uncredited on the LP ! A bad omission.

I bought the album as soon as it came out. My brother thought it was Millie Scott, I said it sounded like Belita. I loved her voice.

stephanie
05-17-2012, 12:29 PM
When I went into a record store [[who specializes in oldies) to find Lovin is Really My Game they were out of it. I was told more people came in the store asking for that 12 inch which went for 100.00 at the time than any other record. Great voice on her. RIP

ollie
05-18-2012, 02:46 PM
Truly sad that she had to leave so soon, rest in peace sweet voice. Many good memories in my life comming from listening to you, singing from your heart.

05-19-2012, 05:30 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Br232n1vwSE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYPoNLWcCE4&feature=player_embedded