PDA

View Full Version : Mary Wilson : Rare and Unreleased "Send Him to Me"

test

marv2
05-14-2012, 03:06 PM
Hello. Here is a song Mary Wilson recorded for Motown as a Supremes somewhere in the late 60's , early 70's. It was uploaded several years ago on Youtube and then taken down after a scuffle ensued over who put it up! LOL! Check it out NOW as it may not be available for long.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZ7GkZivp8Y

detmotownguy
05-14-2012, 03:26 PM
Wow thanks Marv! Mary sounds so sexy and sultry and just does something to a guy! I like the somewhat rock orientation of the song. Might be an intetesting song to put into here live act.

aarondillon2011@gmail.com
05-14-2012, 03:54 PM
Not a bad song at all. Too bad there are no Supreme backing vocals and probably wont see a cd release :-[[

Glenpwood
05-14-2012, 04:19 PM
One should always hope for a Hipo Select "You Danced My Tracks Around The Vault: Mary Wilson Lost & Found" ;)

marv2
05-14-2012, 05:06 PM
Wow thanks Marv! Mary sounds so sexy and sultry and just does something to a guy! I like the somewhat rock orientation of the song. Might be an intetesting song to put into here live act.

She sure does. She really needs to be recognized as one of the lead singers for the Supremes.

bradsupremes
05-14-2012, 06:03 PM
This is from 1970. If and when they get around to doing a 70's Supremes Lost & Found, we will mostly see this track on there.

marybrewster
05-14-2012, 06:19 PM
I asked Mary about these tracks a while back [[the other being "If You Let Me"); she replied that these were sessions with Deke Richards.

copley
05-14-2012, 06:27 PM
The last time these tracks were put on YT all hell broke loose!

dickiemint
05-14-2012, 07:03 PM
Great track, this sounds to me around the time of Love Child LP, maybe the powers that be might of thought about giving Mary leads to see if she could have taken over when Diana left, just my opinion, why did all hell break loose when it was put on YT ?

luke
05-14-2012, 07:16 PM
And I remember HDH saying they did some experimentation with Mary and Flo in case the public tired of Diana. Did Motown freak out cause the tune escaped onto youtube?

smark21
05-14-2012, 08:35 PM
It’s a nice enough song, I especially like the guitar on it. I don’t think Mary is quite there yet as a confident lead vocalist on this. I think it’s on the High Energy sessions where she really came into her own as a lead singer.

lakedistrictlad1
05-15-2012, 04:48 AM
Not a bad song at all. Too bad there are no Supreme backing vocals and probably wont see a cd release :-[[

Never say never. The amount of treasures from the vaults we have had over the last few years is incredible. I have to say I was quite taken aback when I listened to this. It reminded me of the Bones Howe sessions with Diana in the sense that it doesn't sound like a Motown record at all. Both this and Diana's Howe sessions sound like music they would have recorded if they had been on another label.

Fantastic to hear this - although I miss the andantes sweetening. I wouldn't be too bothered if I didn't hear it again though.

Shaqueetha_Jackson
05-15-2012, 05:00 AM
Why come there ain't more florence Blonde Ballar lead songs they knew she was the best and hid it from all of us

luke
05-15-2012, 08:54 AM
Wish there were!!

honest man
05-15-2012, 02:55 PM
Terrible,just does nothing .it really does prove Mary was not cut out for leads and better at backups,got to give it to her for sheer detertimination though, cheers.

RossHolloway
05-15-2012, 04:32 PM
Terrible,just does nothing .it really does prove Mary was not cut out for leads and better at backups,got to give it to her for sheer detertimination though, cheers.

It's ok to sometime keep negative comments and thoughts to one's self...I know this is America and we're entitled to express ourselves and freely give opinions...but there is such a thing as decency and tact.

rod_rick
05-15-2012, 07:31 PM

This is not one of Mary's best efforts doing a lead. In fact this sounds more like a sratch vocal. But I have to disagree with you when you said she was not cut out for leads. Mary has proved that she is a good lead singer and many of her earlier efforts proved that also, " Pretty Baby, After All, Baby Don't Go, Our Day Will Come", and a few others showed that Mary could handle singing lead.

Ross I also agree that more tact she be used when you are being negative towards something you don't like

supremester
05-16-2012, 02:09 AM
I was thinking the same thing - reminds me of The Interim which I love and really would have helped out either of her first two albums. I like this track and Mary is OK on it, but they have her burried so deep into the track that I can't even hear the first verse. I know it's because they hadn't found the correct place for Mary's unique voice. Most of the peeps at Motown knew Mary didn't have a voice for pop, but they kept trying because she was determined, persistant and had some pedigree. Certainly she does a credible job on Floy Joy, but even that and the other shared leads aren't strong enough. The only vocal on her that I've heard that I think could have done something is Don't Let my Teardrops ...... she's great on that. Otherwise, she's OK on a lot of cuts, but rarely, ever compelling. Like on He's My Man - she kept that off playlists. It's not that she's bad, she's just not good for R&B/Pop, and why she never got a record deal anywhere.
I wouldn't be surprised if Deke did, in fact, do this track - it sounds like him. He's my unsung Motown hero and has never gotten his props. Love Child minus Deke Richards equals I'm Livin' In Shame. "Nuff said?

Never say never. The amount of treasures from the vaults we have had over the last few years is incredible. I have to say I was quite taken aback when I listened to this. It reminded me of the Bones Howe sessions with Diana in the sense that it doesn't sound like a Motown record at all. Both this and Diana's Howe sessions sound like music they would have recorded if they had been on another label.

Fantastic to hear this - although I miss the andantes sweetening. I wouldn't be too bothered if I didn't hear it again though.

uptight
05-16-2012, 05:08 AM
If it doesn't quite sound like Hitsville, the backing track could be L.A. musicians and produced by either Frank Wilson or Deke Richards. This is apparently a rough mix. The congas are more prominent than the bass guitar, and Mary's vocal is buried. It has a 1969 sound, as the YouTube poster indicated. With the right mix, it should be great. Other tunes featuring The Fender Rhodes keyboard were "Reflections," Marvin Gaye's "I Heard It Through The Grapevine," and The Jackson 5's "Who's Loving You?" The distorted guitar that added the rock element is reminiscent of tracks from Diana Ross & The Supremes with The Temptations Together in 1969. But those were all Hitsville recordings.

copley
05-16-2012, 06:00 AM
I have loved this and the others for years. As a song in its own right it passes with flying colours. As for UMe not being happy - well think copyright, think unreleased, think no royalties for those involved.

luke
05-16-2012, 09:04 AM
Well there are tons of Motown videos they dont mess with-so confusing.

marv2
05-16-2012, 09:57 AM
I was thinking the same thing - reminds me of The Interim which I love and really would have helped out either of her first two albums. I like this track and Mary is OK on it, but they have her burried so deep into the track that I can't even hear the first verse. I know it's because they hadn't found the correct place for Mary's unique voice. Most of the peeps at Motown knew Mary didn't have a voice for pop, but they kept trying because she was determined, persistant and had some pedigree. Certainly she does a credible job on Floy Joy, but even that and the other shared leads aren't strong enough. The only vocal on her that I've heard that I think could have done something is Don't Let my Teardrops ...... she's great on that. Otherwise, she's OK on a lot of cuts, not never, ever compelling. Like on He's My Man - she kept that off playlists. It's not that she's bad, she's just not good for R&B/Pop, and why she never got a record deal anywhere.
I wouldn't be surprised if Deke did, in fact, do this track - it sounds like him. He's my unsung Motown hero and has never gotten his props. Love Child minus Deke Richards equals I'm Livin' In Shame. "Nuff said?

Nothing that you said made sense to me. None of it even sounded like even a derivative of the truth. Try it again.........

marv2
05-16-2012, 09:58 AM
I like this song and I think Mary sounds terrific singing it!

carlo
05-16-2012, 03:11 PM
I like this track and Mary is OK on it, but they have her burried so deep into the track that I can't even hear the first verse. I know it's because they hadn't found the correct place for Mary's unique voice.

The first time I listened to this track last year, I also noticed Mary's voice was buried in the beginning, but I figured it was likely due to a rough mix. Most unreleased tracks were only given rough mixes in the studio to give everyone a preview of the assembled track, but the mix was never meant to be a finished product. Andy went on to confirm this last night on Nightflight. I think George also mentioned that they have a better vocal from her for this particular track.

marv2
05-16-2012, 03:19 PM
The first time I listened to this track last year, I also noticed Mary's voice was buried in the beginning, but I figured it was likely due to a rough mix. Most unreleased tracks were only given rough mixes in the studio to give everyone a preview of the assembled track, but the mix was never meant to be a finished product. Andy went on to confirm this last night on Nightflight. I think George also mentioned that they have a better vocal from her for this particular track.

That's right. It's just a scratch vocal. Just like "Soft Days". Mary has a beautiful and unique voice. Regardless of what's been said, it is commercial without any gimmicks. I know that is why she is still getting paid some 50 years since she started singing professionally. She's been singing "lead" for audiences all over the World for the last 35 years. There are not many out there that can match that.

Marv

supremester
05-16-2012, 03:22 PM
Which part isn't true? That I love The Interim? That Mary is OK on the track? That Mary didn't have a pop voice and never got a record deal? That Deke is my hero? Which isn't true?

Nothing that you said made sense to me. None of it even sounded like even a derivative of the truth. Try it again.........

supremester
05-16-2012, 04:25 PM
I missed that part of the show - I'd love to hear the better vocal as it's an interesting track and one that might have worked well for her. Did Deke do it?

jobeterob
05-16-2012, 04:42 PM
To be commercial, you need to have hits.

supremester
05-16-2012, 04:48 PM
It's not that Mary is a bad singer, she simply doesn't have a voice for pop radio and that's why she never got signed. Anyone who has seen her Up Close show knows the lady can sing

marv2
05-16-2012, 05:05 PM
To be commercial, you need to have hits.

No, not only. To be commerical you have to have people willing to spend hard earned cash to see what you are putting down and as I said before Mary Wilson of the Original Supremes performed over 100 PAID concerts in 2011 alone........if that is not commerce, then you don't know the basic meaning of business......! Hits were a partial barometer from the last century and she's had plenty of them as a founding member of the Supremes!

luke
05-16-2012, 07:12 PM
How many singers who usually sang in the background now have a career like Mary's? From the White House to Lena Horne show?

marv2
05-16-2012, 07:25 PM
How many singers who usually sang in the background now have a career like Mary's? From the White House to Lena Horne show?

Don't forget her concert forPope John Paul II at the Vatican. The reason you cannot name many singers that have done it because she is a true talent, hard worker and a lead vocalist whether you can admit it or not........Mary is the BOMB! LOL!!!!

TheMotownManiac
05-16-2012, 07:34 PM
Mary was a last minute replacement to perform at a White House Event - she was not the original evening's entertainment. The Lena Horne show is a bust. She has been trying to get it booked for over a year and has had very few takers. Last weekend, they scheduled 3 shows - planning to add a fourth when demand required it. Instead, they had to cancel one. The room holds just over 200 and while there were only a few empty seats - there were many, many comps as they are trying to get it booked at a hotel. The Lena Horn show, if you see it, is not a Mary Wilson show - she is simply the featured singer in the multi media presentation. I was there both nights - it's not that good of a show and Mary is not evoking anything close to Lena - and many people mentioned such at the show. I'm a big fan of Mary, but can also be objective. It's true that as a former background singer she has done well, but there is no real demand for her services. Her membership in The Supremes was hardly essential to the group's success. No one knew when she was or was not on a particular recording - and few care even now. The Supremes' story would have been the same with or without Mary. Her fall tour: opening for Bill Wyman, is nothing to brag about. He is the headliner and the name, she is getting by with her association to The Supremes. Any former Motown star would fill the bill. Where is Mary headlining? Nowhere. No one is buying a ticket that has her name on it. I'm delighted she is working and thrilled she is healthy, but don't embarrass yourself by inflating her solo achievements - they are very, very specious at best.

davidh
05-16-2012, 07:52 PM
love it,look 4ward to this get released

smark21
05-16-2012, 07:59 PM
The Lena Horne project that Mary is involved with seems like the type of show best suited to play college campuses during Black History month or Women’s history month, or if the College is presenting a program on 20th Century American popular music.

TheMotownManiac
05-16-2012, 08:42 PM
Exactly. It's sophomoric and there are awkward moments when cues are off, Mary is late, film doesn't start. The worst part is that Mary is nothing like Lena Horne and sounds nothing like her. It may just as well be Reba or Jennifer Holiday doing her part.

Also annoying is Mary now claiming how she and Lena were good friends. There is nothing to suggest that in her books, but now, she is claiming how close they were - like she did Whitney while drunk on the red carpet at a benefit in March.. It's shameless and desperate. I hope Mary gets a local, long term gig in Vegas, or, patches things up with Diane. The best thing for The Supremes is to get back with Ross. Then, any Supreme who wanted to work would be able to. As Ross gets older, she might welcome such a show so that she doesnt have to do 2 hours alone. Mary would need to smooth things over, though.

luke
05-16-2012, 08:50 PM
Mary is playing many kinds of venues with the show.

TheMotownManiac
05-16-2012, 08:58 PM
No one is spending their hard earned cash to see Mary. They pay to see a show and Mary is the "and others." All those shows in The UK are headlined by Bill Wyman. The Headliner name in the Lena Horne Show is James Gavin. The only headline Mary has is her gown exhibit which embarrassingly is titled "The Mary Wilson Gown Collection." How shameless is that? She's still pushing her name out there to an apathetic public. Her album, now 13 years in the making, has yet to get funding for release. Even the single can't get a USA release. There is no interest. Not even 10,000 visits to Youtube to hear it for free.

Mary can't get gigs as a former Supreme. Can't get gigs with Up Close. Can't get gigs doing Lena. Can't get on TV. Can't get any recorded product released - even on itunes. Mary is an opening act for a background player/singer and hates it. She hates the one nighters and says so. She and Diane both hate the travel, but love the work. Maybe they could build on that and be friends again. Otherwise, Mary is toast - her failure at The Riviera last year and Smith Center this year will seal her fate. She may need to join an oldies group tour again. She could sell her CDs there too.

Roberta75
05-16-2012, 08:58 PM
I am hoping Miss Mary Wilson brings the Lena Horne story to the Pantages theater in Hollywood and a Broadway theater in New York City. I pray this happens for Miss Wilson as I feel in my heart she would sell out for months.

May God continue to bless Miss Mary Wilson.

Roberta

TheMotownManiac
05-16-2012, 09:00 PM
Really? I didn't know that. Where?

Mary is playing many kinds of venues with the show.

TheMotownManiac
05-16-2012, 09:04 PM
Roberta, you must not have seen the show. It could never, ever play Broadway or a theater in LA. It's more like a slide show with music. She could get her Sophisticated Ladies into NY or LA. I saw i 5 times and it was a viable property. She would need another name in the show as it didn't draw well with just Mary.

I hope God continues to bless all Supremes and Motowners

I am hoping Miss Mary Wilson brings the Lena Horne story to the Pantages theater in Hollywood and a Broadway theater in New York City. I pray this happens for Miss Wilson as I feel in my heart she would sell out for months.

May God continue to bless Miss Mary Wilson.

Roberta

bradsupremes
05-16-2012, 09:10 PM
Her membership in The Supremes was hardly essential to the group's success. No one knew when she was or was not on a particular recording - and few care even now. The Supremes' story would have been the same with or without Mary.

I think you'll find many who disagree with you on this. If you say Mary's membership was hardly essential to the group's success then I guess Diana, Florence, Barbara, Cindy, Jean, Lynda, Scherrie and Susaye's membership were hardly essential either. If it wasn't for Mary, the Supremes' story would be drastically different especially after Diana left. If Diana was the voice of the Supremes then Mary was certainly its heart.

And for one who claims they are a big fan of Mary, you are certainly very critical of her.

luke
05-16-2012, 11:03 PM
Venues-Australian tv and Performing Arts Center in Las Vegas--please see www.marywilson.com for specifics and other venues.

marv2
05-16-2012, 11:14 PM
Mary was a last minute replacement to perform at a White House Event - she was not the original evening's entertainment. The Lena Horne show is a bust. She has been trying to get it booked for over a year and has had very few takers. Last weekend, they scheduled 3 shows - planning to add a fourth when demand required it. Instead, they had to cancel one. The room holds just over 200 and while there were only a few empty seats - there were many, many comps as they are trying to get it booked at a hotel. The Lena Horn show, if you see it, is not a Mary Wilson show - she is simply the featured singer in the multi media presentation. I was there both nights - it's not that good of a show and Mary is not evoking anything close to Lena - and many people mentioned such at the show. I'm a big fan of Mary, but can also be objective. It's true that as a former background singer she has done well, but there is no real demand for her services. Her membership in The Supremes was hardly essential to the group's success. No one knew when she was or was not on a particular recording - and few care even now. The Supremes' story would have been the same with or without Mary. Her fall tour: opening for Bill Wyman, is nothing to brag about. He is the headliner and the name, she is getting by with her association to The Supremes. Any former Motown star would fill the bill. Where is Mary headlining? Nowhere. No one is buying a ticket that has her name on it. I'm delighted she is working and thrilled she is healthy, but don't embarrass yourself by inflating her solo achievements - they are very, very specious at best.

Sounds like sour grapes to me. But anyhow, Mary Wilson is the BOMB and can perform me for any price charge! She is one of the all time best!

marv2
05-16-2012, 11:16 PM
Venues-Australian tv and Performing Arts Center in Las Vegas--please see www.marywilson.com for specifics and other venues.

I wonder if her performance next month down there will be televised here in the States? I think I read something about ABC broadcasting it?

marv2
05-16-2012, 11:22 PM
I think you'll find many who disagree with you on this. If you say Mary's membership was hardly essential to the group's success then I guess Diana, Florence, Barbara, Cindy, Jean, Lynda, Scherrie and Susaye's membership were hardly essential either. If it wasn't for Mary, the Supremes' story would be drastically different especially after Diana left. If Diana was the voice of the Supremes then Mary was certainly its heart.

And for one who claims they are a big fan of Mary, you are certainly very critical of her.

Berry Gordy has always said that Mary Wilson is the heart and soul of the Supremes. Dick Clark said something similar . I knew that from the very beginning as a kid on Maplewood Avenue, hehehehehehe... There's really isn't anything negative to be said about it or her. It must be awfully frustrating to folks that want to attempt to downplay or take away her accomplishments. She is an extremely talented and beautiful woman that is World famous and nothing is said on this board can changed that. She is a "Soulful Detroiter" right from the start!

marv2
05-17-2012, 12:06 AM
She cut her first record in 1959! Here Mary Wilson is in a new interview from last week, 2012! Enjoy LOL!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FzkwIPqLNM

supremester
05-17-2012, 02:54 AM
Mary, like all performers, is blessed to have avid fans like you. Did you see her in Las Vegas last weekend? I had plans to see Mary, Liza, George Wallace and lily Tomlin in less than 48 hours, but couldn't break away from work.

Sounds like sour grapes to me. But anyhow, Mary Wilson is the BOMB and can perform me for any price charge! She is one of the all time best!

supremester
05-17-2012, 04:05 AM
Now Marv, you're exagggggerating AGAIN!!!
Berry Gordy hasn't "always" said that Mary Wilson is the heart and soul of The Supremes - he said it once. One time. I was there [[and you are quoting it out of context.)

Berry Gordy has always said that Mary Wilson is the heart and soul of the Supremes. Dick Clark said something similar . I knew that from the very beginning as a kid on Maplewood Avenue, hehehehehehe... There's really isn't anything negative to be said about it or her. It must be awfully frustrating to folks that want to attempt to downplay or take away her accomplishments. She is an extremely talented and beautiful woman that is World famous and nothing is said on this board can changed that. She is a "Soulful Detroiter" right from the start!

carlo
05-17-2012, 07:51 AM
Mary, like all performers, is blessed to have avid fans like you. Did you see her in Las Vegas last weekend? I had plans to see Mary, Liza, George Wallace and lily Tomlin in less than 48 hours, but couldn't break away from work.

Gregg, I know I don't know you and you don't know me on a personal level, but I have been told you've always passionately disliked Mary Wilson. I'm pleasantly surprised to read you had plans to see her. Sorry you weren't able to make it to her show.

smark21
05-17-2012, 07:59 AM
My understanding is that for the Bill Wyman Rhythm Kings show, Mary is not the opening act, but part of the troupe and comes on to sing with the band several times.

carlo
05-17-2012, 08:03 AM
Guys, just ignore Motown Maniac. The name suits him well, because that's exactly what he is [[lol). It's sad when people on a message board like to try and re-write history. At the end of the day, we all know how important Mary has been to The Supremes and it would be ridiculous to try and argue otherwise.

I know for a fact that Mary is on the move and has things in the works. Everyone will see these things come to fruition very soon and hopefully it will silence the haters once and for all.

marv2
05-17-2012, 09:37 AM
Guys, just ignore Motown Maniac. The name suits him well, because that's exactly what he is [[lol). It's sad when people on a message board like to try and re-write history. At the end of the day, we all know how important Mary has been to The Supremes and it would be ridiculous to try and argue otherwise.

I know for a fact that Mary is on the move and has things in the works. Everyone will see these things come to fruition very soon and hopefully it will silence the haters once and for all.

Carlo keep telling the truth. I can't even understand Motown Maniac. He strays too far from the subject of the thread.

carlo
05-17-2012, 01:51 PM
I can't even understand Motown Maniac. He strays too far from the subject of the thread.

Exactly. This discussion was going well in the beginning and once again someone had to throw in irrelevant negative criticism to get everyone off topic. This person was clearly only trying to create drama.

marv2
05-17-2012, 02:15 PM
My understanding is that for the Bill Wyman Rhythm Kings show, Mary is not the opening act, but part of the troupe and comes on to sing with the band several times.

You have the correct understanding. Mary is a very integral part of that act, tour. She has received great reviews for her performances that we just don't post here .

mwmr
05-17-2012, 03:07 PM
Motown maniac you really are talking BS, bashing Mary for the sake of it and clearly have your facts WRONG. As a uk resident I can happily correct your incorrect post . Mary headlined with no other 'oldies' except the chi lites who were HER opening act a 6 week Uk tour last year. That's HEADLINED...... Plenty of press, tv and radio. The promoters obviously think she'd still got it. On the Rhythm Kings tour she was Bills guest not opening act and performed in the first and second half as well as the finale. She got excellent reviews in the uk press which can been found on line. Next time get your facts correct.... Or speak to someone who was there.

mwmr
05-17-2012, 03:12 PM
Oh and no one is buying a ticket with Mary's name on it? I bought 7 on the last uk tour and went to the show seven times.i only went to see rhythm kings as Mary was on that tour and went three times. So again you are incorrect

marv2
05-17-2012, 03:21 PM
Exactly. It's sophomoric and there are awkward moments when cues are off, Mary is late, film doesn't start. The worst part is that Mary is nothing like Lena Horne and sounds nothing like her. It may just as well be Reba or Jennifer Holiday doing her part.

Also annoying is Mary now claiming how she and Lena were good friends. There is nothing to suggest that in her books, but now, she is claiming how close they were - like she did Whitney while drunk on the red carpet at a benefit in March.. It's shameless and desperate. I hope Mary gets a local, long term gig in Vegas, or, patches things up with Diane. The best thing for The Supremes is to get back with Ross. Then, any Supreme who wanted to work would be able to. As Ross gets older, she might welcome such a show so that she doesnt have to do 2 hours alone. Mary would need to smooth things over, though.

Mary Wilson and Lena were very good friends! Ever hear of the social club, "BRAVO". It was a sorority like club founded in Hollywood in the late 60's. Mary Wilson, Dionne Warwick, Leslie Uggams, Nancy Wilson, Judy Pace, Lola Falana etc etc were founding members. Guess who was the Den Mother? That's right, Lena Horne! She acted as mentor Mary and all of those ladies. You need to know what you are talking about before post. She's known Whitney since Whitney was a kid. It takes two to patch things up. I think that is where your problem lies when it comes to Mary Wilson. We see through you and your negative comments!

luke
05-17-2012, 07:32 PM
Marv--has Sheryl Lee Ralph been part of the group?

TheMotownManiac
05-17-2012, 09:09 PM
I am as fan of all Supremes, but I'm objective. Only Diana was essential because they reason they got signed was her. Berry had no interest in Mary or Flo or Betty, but to his credit, he was correct. His vision of what Diana could become was accurate as history has proven. Mary and Flo certainly were the best background singers, but like many have said, the story of The Supremes would have been essentially the same with Diana and any two girls. Flo was a lot more popular than Mary, but she had her admirers and still does. Yes, she stayed with the group until she decided to go solo, but I think Motown would have kept the group going even if Mary had left earlier. There was always money to be made on the name until 1978 when they could no longer triple dip into their groups performance fees. The company's fortunes dropped dramatically when this occurred.

marv2
05-17-2012, 09:54 PM
Marv--has Sheryl Lee Ralph been part of the group?

No not that particular group as it was about a decade before Sheryl Lee came on the scene. She put together her own loose knit group from her own charity that raises funds for AIDS.

marv2
05-17-2012, 09:56 PM
I am as fan of all Supremes, but I'm objective. Only Diana was essential because they reason they got signed was her. Berry had no interest in Mary or Flo or Betty, but to his credit, he was correct. His vision of what Diana could become was accurate as history has proven. Mary and Flo certainly were the best background singers, but like many have said, the story of The Supremes would have been essentially the same with Diana and any two girls. Flo was a lot more popular than Mary, but she had her admirers and still does. Yes, she stayed with the group until she decided to go solo, but I think Motown would have kept the group going even if Mary had left earlier. There was always money to be made on the name until 1978 when they could no longer triple dip into their groups performance fees. The company's fortunes dropped dramatically when this occurred.

Berry Gordy never told you anything like that. It is clear that you do not even know or understand the relationships involved here. We don't need anymore made up stuff by someone that was no where near Detroit! LOL!!!

marv2
05-17-2012, 09:57 PM

Company's fortunes? 1978? what are you talking about and what does it have to do with Mary singing "Send Him to Me"?

luke
05-17-2012, 10:20 PM
I see. I thought Sheryl became a part of it later on.

144man
05-18-2012, 06:07 AM
It took a few plays for it to grow on me, but I really like "Send Him to Me" now.

uptight
05-18-2012, 06:42 AM
Yes, it takes a few plays. That's why a better mix of the tune will make it even better. Let's hope it will make its way onto an official CD release soon.

REDHOT
05-18-2012, 08:04 AM
Please no negativaty,Mary Wilson has been singing and intertaining us all her life,and doing a great job,so lets enjoy her,and not let a negative person,get to us,becaues that's what they want to do,i just love Mary Wilson LOL
and again,Please Stay Positive

stephanie
05-18-2012, 02:04 PM
Motown Maniac;
I do believe Ross was essential to the group [[like any lead singer would be) but to discount Mary and Flo is not historically correct. I dont think Ross would have made it with two other women. The Supremes had 3 different distinct personalities and although it may not have come across on record on film and stage shows something like that is crucial to the success of a group. Remember when Ross and Gordy were waiting to make her a solo act and he told Ross that she had to wait because he said "nobody knows who you are". He had to put her name out front to make her distinctive. Truth be told if any of them had to make it on personality and fans alone it would have been Florence. Of course Ross had a more distinctive voice but after More Hits by the Supremes and their names on that album people in regular households knew who they were.

When Ross went solo her career didnt bust like the Jean led Supremes in the beginning it took a little time [[no pun intended on Ross solo single with that title). I dont know why people feel like people dont know who Mary Wilson is and I have never understood why she has felt that way. When the group was Diana Ross and the Supremes people surely knew who Cindy Birdsong was and she was not featured as much as Mary was throughout the years.

I personally like this record and with a better mix I think it would have sold. Mary may not have a distinct voice but she is a solid live performer when she is singing her own songs. Just become someone is not filling arenas doesnt mean that they cant make a living. I know some of Marys shows have had comp tickets but most of them dont people are willing to pay her and see her and a lot of them are the same people who come to see her every year not because of Diana Ross but because of her Supreme pedigree. Mary in my opinion has gotten to be a much better performer now than she was 20 years ago and has branded herself very well. I dont know if her agent is getting her these shows or her friends but even Willie Nelson
[[and I know this for a fact) because of the economy has had to lower HIS fee for performances because of what people are willing to pay now. I dont know what Mary is making but people are coming to see her and she gives a solid performance especially on ballads and her 70s Supremes work. I have seen her live several times and at Blues Alley here in DC, and when it was open a club called Antons and Im telling you people stay for the second show and pay for it. Diana was essential but you couldnt put Gladys Horton and Roz or Annette behind the Supremes and said they would have made it. I love Martha Reeves but her backgrounds were crucial to their success like the Funk Bros.

tamla617
05-18-2012, 03:09 PM
I missed that part of the show - I'd love to hear the better vocal as it's an interesting track and one that might have worked well for her. Did Deke do it?

good call about deke,supremester.it sounds like this track could have come off the chris clark lp cc rides again on the weed label!

love this track btw,hope there is more of this stuff out there somewhere,havent a clue what motownmaniacs on about tho'.

REDHOT
05-19-2012, 10:43 PM
LOL,the hater won't STOP,too FUNNY
Please stay positive

marv2
05-20-2012, 11:39 AM
LOL,the hater won't STOP,too FUNNY
Please stay positive

That is rather funny when we all know it will do him no good! LOL! Yes, by all means, please stay positive!

mwmr
05-20-2012, 05:22 PM
I see the Motown maniac has chosen to ignore and fail to acknowledge my factual based corrections to his previous posts in this thread.

And if Flo and Mary are/were so indispensable how come when The Supremes turned up at Motown Berry Gordy signed them??? If only Diane mattered why didn't he just offer her a solo contract at the beginning ????????

Fans , flo/Mary haters can spin and diss their contributions to the supremes but no matter how large or small their roles they were an integral part that cannot be dismissed or rewritten and without the supremes miss Ross wouldn't have had her solo career [[which now consists of trading on her past glories as Mary is accused of doing)

tamla617
05-20-2012, 06:27 PM
mwmr
spot on,i could never see how they all got a job.berry would have just got diana

SupremeBoy
05-20-2012, 06:49 PM
The poor thing is drowned out by the guitar.

blueskies
05-20-2012, 07:13 PM
I think Mary Wilson is an American Treasure and could give a flying cat turd what anyone else thinks....and I ain't changing my opinion!

marv2
05-20-2012, 10:43 PM
mwmr
spot on,i could never see how they all got a job.berry would have just got diana

Not only that, but they kept Mary Wilson under contract for 16 or 17 years!