PDA

View Full Version : TCB - questions for the motown experts

test

sup_fan
09-11-2010, 03:39 PM
was scrolling through some Sup pics on Facebook and there's a pic of the girls in the green swirls for a photo shoot during taping. Mary and Cindy look just like they do in the opening of the show. Diana however is wearing her typical late-60s wig, similar to the on the cover of 25th Anniversary.

someone posted that if you watch the very beginning of the show, as diana is walking down the ramp to the stage, she's wearing this "25th Anniv" wig. but when she reached center stage and turns around to start singing, she's wearing the "messy" TCB wig.

not that i care all that much about wigs but clearly there are at least 2 tapings of the show

so...

1. Andy, Harry, George, anyone? what outtakes are in the vault? i know there's cut material like the Funny Girl medley. but looks like there are multiple tapings. any info?

2. live or lip synch - it's been said that Mary and Cindy pre-recorded their vocals. but about 50% of the show is with a live orchestra. are they really not playing but were pre-recorded? seems to me segments like the opening, You Keep Me Hangin' On, Impossible Dream, I Hear A Symphony, etc are live. while segments where you can't see the orchestra [[the pics of funny girl, the pop hits medley in the pinks, reds and oranges) are pre recorded and lip synced

of course are there any plans to release this on dvd? :)

nomis
09-11-2010, 05:53 PM
if you want to see TCB on dvd the best thing you can do is email your request at West Grand Media website...

captainjames
09-11-2010, 06:52 PM
Well, you made me pull out my "TCB" DVD that I converted myself to watch the opening and I honestly can not tell any difference in the wig. However, you did make me end up watching the whole show. Its been forever since I watch this show and I realize I am no expert because I can not tell there is any problem between the girls or the Tempts..

nomis
09-11-2010, 06:56 PM
Thats because their proffessionals...

captainjames
09-11-2010, 07:00 PM
They were definitely professionals and they saw things in three different viewpoints or perhaps eight [[including the Tempts).

uptight
09-11-2010, 08:15 PM
The opening entrance with two diff wigs is brief but definitely there. LOL. At least we know there were two tapings of that entrance if not the entire show. Some photos you've seen could have been taken during dress rehearsal when TV camera adjustments for the colorful outfits are made. Maybe they had to save the wig for the actual taping.

The segments on the Plexiglas stage in front of the studio audience were all taped live, no lip sync'ing. Whatever visual edits made on the televised master tape were the responsibility of Ed Schlatter and the other TV producers.

The medley that includes "Mrs. Robinson" and "Respect" may have had pre-recorded music and pre-recorded background vocals by both groups. I believe it was taped without a studio audience. Leads were definitely live, though. This medley was a departure from the the usual "mic stands" setup. And, visually, microphone cables strung across the floor for the entire cast would have been too messy for the stage blocking and choreography they had worked out.

rod_rick
09-11-2010, 08:45 PM
during the supremes hits medley their is a cut right after Come See About Me going into My World Is Empty. I also think the opening number TCB was pre recorded because there were NO MICS used and it's the same exact recording that's on one of the more recent compilations.

George Solomon
09-11-2010, 09:38 PM
I was working with George Schlatter on the Motown Revue TV series in 1985 and brought the Diana wig change to his attention. He said that edit bothered him so much at the time but he thought he got away with it because no one brought it up to him in almost 20 years! Yes, they did multiple takes and you'll notice that sometimes the vocal take on the soundtrack doesn't match the performance on the special. And yes, Motown has the outtakes. TCB Deluxe sounds like a great idea, huh?

sup_fan
09-11-2010, 10:11 PM
it sure does george - can you make that happen? ;) in randy's most recent Diana book, he mentions other deleted material. Mas Que Nada would have been between Mrs Robinson and Respect. Lovelight would have been between the With A Song In My Heart Medley and Greatest Hits medley. not sure where they would have put the Funny Girl medley

As for Broadway, i've heard the bootleg version of the girls "Let's Do It" medley and on tape they do the Porgy and Bess segment. I'm assuming there's video footage of the full medley. that would be fun to have too!

George - any more special info from the specials? bits of interesting history?

Glenpwood
09-12-2010, 10:50 AM
Why why why doesn't Universal or whomever wound up with the rights to this special put this out? Between diehard Temps and Supremes fans alone it would sell a truckload. The other major specials of the same era have been put out [[Elvis, Petula Clark) so why not this? Are rights with the musicians union the issue?

jillfoster
09-12-2010, 11:35 AM
I don't see why they can't put it out. Gelnpwood is right, many major sepcials from that era have been put out on DVD. I don't want to hear no hooey about "It will only sell 500 copies"... If that 1970 Raquel Welch special gets a release, then so can THIS. When it comes to the CD's, then you pretty much only sell to fans of the group or artist. But when it comes to TV specials, you also get buyers who are fans of TV from the ERA.

nathanj06
09-12-2010, 04:22 PM
I would also love to see TCB combined with On Broadway on dvd. What a treat that would be. :)

topdiva1
09-12-2010, 04:26 PM
Multiple, multiple, multiple - dress rehearsals, staging, wig changes, cuts,edits, and recording, with and without a live audience - has brought us years of sheer magic. TCB was a much awaited TV Show, in it's day. And it has stood the test of time.

nomis
09-12-2010, 09:04 PM
Both TCB and GIT are owned by West Grand Media..email them at their website to request a release hey if ya dont ask ya dont get...

daviddh
09-12-2010, 09:44 PM
got the email address? the Diana 1971 tv special had many out takes as well

nomis
09-12-2010, 10:47 PM
mlovesmith@westgrandmedia.com [[hes the boss...)