PDA

View Full Version : Supremes sold out items "Where Did Our Love Go" & "This is the Story" go ski hi

test

franjoy56
05-12-2012, 12:33 AM
Value of old Supremes releases that hippo select sold out of are being gouged by sellers on
Amazon.com for example the Deluxe set of "Where Did Our Love Go" which features the live concert from the roostertail or fox theater along with the historic album and many extra tracks like "MY Imagaination" & "This is It" is selling for $179 by a user on amazon.com. The Jean Terrell Years" This is the Story: the 70's Albums vol.1 which includes the 5 Jean Terrell led Albums from 70-73 is selling for a whopping $400.00.

Glenpwood
05-12-2012, 10:21 AM
This is why these limited press run releases need to be snapped up when they come out. The longer someone procrastinates thinking they'll wait until Amazon or someone else blows out old stock at discount usually just leads to the price gougers sweeping in and buying up the remaining stock. Ultimately the consumer or collector decides what these releases are worth. A lot of the eighties Motown USA CD pressings of the original albums sold between $50-$200 on Ebay only becoming cheap again once the expanded editions arrived. For example, until two months ago you could've easily gotten $150 for At The Copa. I paid $75 for mine back in 1999 and to me it was worth it because I loved it so I can understand how someone will pull out their wallet to get a release they missed. Doesn't make it fair or right it just is what it is. It also reminds me any CD is only worth what someone else is williing to pay you for it when you want to sell it.

kenneth
05-12-2012, 10:28 AM
I had passed on 'This is the Story' when it came out because it only had a few unreleased tracks. Later, when I wanted to buy it, it wasn't to be found except at extremely steep prices. After making a request here in SDF, lucky for me, a very generous member of this forum sold me a copy - still sealed - at its original selling price. After listening to it, I can't believe I had passed on it. Just hearing the layers of instrumentation and depth of the vocals, especially on the Frank Wilson produced sessions, makes this one a must have.

I guess I learned my lesson. I even bought the DeBarge set - a group I hardly ever listened to. In fact, I haven't even played the set yet!

Jimi LaLumia
05-12-2012, 10:48 AM
I'd be quite surprised if the second Marvelettes and the second 70's Supremes 'box sets' aren't moments away from selling out

Glenpwood
05-12-2012, 10:56 AM
These two sets are available digitally but it's just not the same to get the music without getting the booklets with those fabulous photos and essays.....

nomis
05-12-2012, 10:29 PM
I kick myself I didnt get "This Is The Story"..I payed a small fortune a few years back for cds of "farewell/Captured Live On Stage" and "Never Before Released Masters."..

jboy88
05-13-2012, 07:14 PM
I actually got my copy of this is the story, a month before it sold out! It had already went up in price on amzzon and i fugired it wouldn't be long before it sold out! Needless to say, it was worth it!

bradsupremes
05-13-2012, 08:10 PM
Get 'em while you can! Copies of Let Yourself Go probably won't be around much longer. I got lucky when I found Captured Live On Stage on the 2-CD set about 10 years ago in a used CD store for under $10.

thommg
05-13-2012, 08:21 PM
I kick myself I didnt get "This Is The Story"..I payed a small fortune a few years back for cds of "farewell/Captured Live On Stage" and "Never Before Released Masters."..

nomis, I didn't buy Farewell/Captured Live On Stage when it was released. Then it was gone. I didn't want to pay an outrageous price for it so Ikept passing on copies I saw. One day I walked into a cd store and they had a new copy in the $2.99 bin. I bought it! Sometimes you can get something wonderful for almost nothing. Now, if I could just come across the Melba Moore This Is It lp on cd, I would be a lucky, lucky guy.

Jimi LaLumia
05-13-2012, 08:25 PM
word to the wise..do what ya gotta do to get stuff you want before it becomes $400.00 on Amazon!

kenneth
05-13-2012, 09:22 PM
nomis, I didn't buy Farewell/Captured Live On Stage when it was released. Then it was gone. I didn't want to pay an outrageous price for it so Ikept passing on copies I saw. One day I walked into a cd store and they had a new copy in the $2.99 bin. I bought it! Sometimes you can get something wonderful for almost nothing. Now, if I could just come across the Melba Moore This Is It lp on cd, I would be a lucky, lucky guy.

Ah yes...where would we be without the cut-out bins? I think half my core Motown and Stax collection was built from the 88 cent cut-out bins at Arlan's, a Detroit area precursor to K-Mart. I found all the early Miracles, Mary Wells, Marvelettes [[both covers of "Sing" for example), Vandellas, all the albums which were already out of print and you couldn't find anywhere. [[No Supremes "stool" cover though, I had to pay collector's prices for that one. And I definitely never saw the 4 Tops "Breaking Through" because of course I would have bought that one, too. At the time, I saw it on album inserts but I guess it never did get released after all.)

I didn't drive yet, but eventually badgered friends with cars to take me to every Arlan's in the Metro area, being a Detroit native I'd never even heard of most of the suburbs like Garden City and so on.

Sometimes I wonder what titles I passed up. I remember seeing the Workshop Dave Hamilton LP, but not being interested in it. Later, I bought it, again, at a collector's price.

Ah, to go back in time and go through those bins again!

franjoy56
05-13-2012, 11:04 PM
in 1964, i saw "Buttered Popcorn" & "I Want a Guy" in those 39 cent 45 bins and passed it up because I never heard them before, especially since they were on the yellow tamla label and had just bought "When the lovelights" from the same bin on the blue motown print could you imagine. I didn't even know Flo sang lead on Buttered Popcorn, and that I Want a Guy was the groups first single until I discovered the Supremes on the Meet the Supremes album later in 1965 when Meet the Supremes was rereleased with the smokey cover.

carlo
05-14-2012, 11:13 AM
Now, if I could just come across the Melba Moore This Is It lp on cd, I would be a lucky, lucky guy.

Melba Moore's This Is It is being reissued as an Expanded Edition by Funky Town Grooves next month...

http://www.funkytowngrooves.com/PRE-ORDER-CDs/58/Melba-Moore-This-Is-It_Expanded-Edition/3306

thommg
05-14-2012, 01:00 PM
Melba Moore's This Is It is being reissued as an Expanded Edition by Funky Town Grooves next month...

http://www.funkytowngrooves.com/PRE-ORDER-CDs/58/Melba-Moore-This-Is-It_Expanded-Edition/3306

Thank you for that information, Carlo. I was hoping something like that would happen!

Back to Motown.... In Maryland, we had the cutout bins at S. Klein. They used to put three albums together in plastic wrap. You could see the front cover of one, the back cover of another and the spine of all three. I got many early Motown albums that way. They did the same thing with 45's. They came in a 5 pack but you could only see two of the titles - and they didn't always have the A-side facing out!

kenneth
05-14-2012, 01:33 PM
I never saw LPs sold that way, though I do remember at some point Arlan's reduced them to 3/$1.00. That was when I bought artists I wouldn't have otherwise. I got Johnnie Taylor's first Stax album that way, some Albert King, lots of stuff that over time has held up a lot better than some of the more popular stuff back then.

I do remember packages of 45s. When I saw them, I think there were 10 packed in a box, and one which was outside the box before the whole thing was shrink wrapped, so you only knew one title going in. As you say, sometimes they didn't know the A side from the B side. Those were fun to buy...lots of discoveries within those packages which I came to like a lot.

Do you believe that Oldies.Com [[Collectables Records) still sells grab bags of 45s? I think you can buy different sets of 100 45s. They guarantee no duplicate titles amongst the differing sets. Honest, I think that would be so much fun I may buy a set. I think they're under $50 as I recall.