PDA

View Full Version : "Nightflight" Tue May 8, 9P-12M ET: ...a tribute to Natalie Cole....

test

midnight johnny
05-08-2012, 08:19 AM
Howdy Folks!!! Tonite...a special 3 hour tribute to the magnificent Natalie Cole. Natalie has proven beyond a shadow of a doubt that just because one comes from the finest of musical roots, one can, yet and still, carve her own place in the music world. We all know Natalie's beginnings in R & B and Disco. But to me, she has become one of the most important interpreters of Jazz and music from the Great American Songbook. She not only loves the music from her father's era but, on a cellular level, and with the greatest of musical intuition, has come to own the songs she has performed. Do I LOVE Natalie Cole?
No....I am totally IN LOVE with Natalie Cole. Please join me tonight for my tribute to this amazing artist...on "Nightflight"...on WOMR 92.1 FM Provincetown and WFMR 91.3 FM Orleans and streaming live worldwide in digital stereo at www.womr.org
Thanks!
John
PS...I have most all of Natalie's material...so your requests are most welcome.

marybrewster
05-08-2012, 09:57 AM
mj!

I am sorry I will miss the show tonight! Of all nights! Tomorrow is my birthday and we have dinner reservations for 25 people at 7pm. Afterwards, we're having a cocktail or 12 to celebrate.

In my absence, would you PLEASE play Mary Brewster's "signature" song? [[Betcha didn't know she had a signature song!) Honey, this number has been in my act for almost a DECADE! It's my most favorite Natalie Cole number ever; so fun to listen to and even more fun to lip synch!

MR. MELODY!

scaba dop scaba dop scaba dow!

midnight johnny
05-08-2012, 10:52 AM
mj!

I am sorry I will miss the show tonight! Of all nights! Tomorrow is my birthday and we have dinner reservations for 25 people at 7pm. Afterwards, we're having a cocktail or 12 to celebrate.

In my absence, would you PLEASE play Mary Brewster's "signature" song? [[Betcha didn't know she had a signature song!) Honey, this number has been in my act for almost a DECADE! It's my most favorite Natalie Cole number ever; so fun to listen to and even more fun to lip synch!

MR. MELODY!

scaba dop scaba dop scaba dow!

marybrewster...a most happy of birthdays to you. You will very much be missed here...especially by me...and I will definately play "Mr. Melody" for you. You know...if you or one of your friends has a phone, you can, I'm sure, pick up the show on the phone...and if you synchronize watches with me, I will play the song at a time when you can hear it. Let me know if you can do this.
But if you can't....yet and still....have the most wonderful of times!
John

Glenpwood
05-08-2012, 11:44 AM
Hi John,

I knew there was a reason why your show and I are becoming "Inseperable" every Tuesday!;)

Natalie Cole is one of my ultimate divas. No matter what genre she tackles the performance is always "Unforgettable." hehe. Her two memoirs are essential reading as well. It would be hard to pick a fave from her but would love to hear the correct radio/45 "hit" version of Pink Cadillac if you have it. [[If not, I'll be happy to send it to you a copy to add to your collection.) It's hard to find on CD stateside since all the comps and Cole best of's have the original album mix not the Clivilles & Cole aka C&C Music Factory remixed version.

Look forward to tonight's show!

marybrewster
05-08-2012, 03:36 PM
Hi John,

I knew there was a reason why your show and I are becoming "Inseperable" every Tuesday!;)

Natalie Cole is one of my ultimate divas. No matter what genre she tackles the performance is always "Unforgettable." hehe. Her two memoirs are essential reading as well. It would be hard to pick a fave from her but would love to hear the correct radio/45 "hit" version of Pink Cadillac if you have it. [[If not, I'll be happy to send it to you a copy to add to your collection.) It's hard to find on CD stateside since all the comps and Cole best of's have the original album mix not the Clivilles & Cole aka C&C Music Factory remixed version.

Look forward to tonight's show!

glenwood-

Like you, Natalie is one of my faves, certainly in my Top 5.

It's hard to pick one great Natalie song; they all are.

Obviously "Mr. Melody" is my all-time fave, but some close contenders are: "Party Lights", "Lush Life", "Our Love" [[Mary J. Blige does a kick-a$$ cover), "Miss You Like Crazy", "Thou Swell".....the list goes on and on.....

One story I want to share, mj, you might get a kick out of this:

I've performed a lot of Natalie over the years: "This Will Be", "Orange Colored Sky", "Our Love", "Mr. Melody" and "L-O-V-E".

I only perform "L-O-V-E" on special occasions, as I have a "special" way of performing it, LOL.

Let's just say, I lay on the stage and spell the letters out with my legs. In a short dress. The first set of letters or verse, I perform with my head toward the audience. The second verse, well.....let's just say MB is not a shy diva.

I'd post a pic but this is a family show. :)

Thank you mj for thinking of me and playing "Mr. Melody" in my honor. A very sweet birthday gift.

Glenpwood
05-08-2012, 04:18 PM
Mary,

Have an awesome Birthday & dinner. Your right, it is well near impossible to pick the best Natalie song. I essentially only got to experience Natalie's comeback hits post rehab as since I was too young to experience the Yancy/Jackson years. [[She won the Best New Artist Grammy for 1975, my year of birth.) Jump Start hooked me, Pink Cadillac comfirmed it, and the Unforgettable era made me a die hard Natalie fan. Made me go back and find those early Capitol albums and they are all terriffic! Even the more recent albums like Leavin' and Still Unforgettable have been stellar. I gotta say her version of Aretha's Day Dreamin' cracks me up though because it sounds like she says "Daydreamin..... HO!" near the end....

We will miss you tonight!

midnight johnny
05-08-2012, 06:09 PM
glenwood-

Like you, Natalie is one of my faves, certainly in my Top 5.

It's hard to pick one great Natalie song; they all are.

Obviously "Mr. Melody" is my all-time fave, but some close contenders are: "Party Lights", "Lush Life", "Our Love" [[Mary J. Blige does a kick-a$$ cover), "Miss You Like Crazy", "Thou Swell".....the list goes on and on.....

One story I want to share, mj, you might get a kick out of this:

I've performed a lot of Natalie over the years: "This Will Be", "Orange Colored Sky", "Our Love", "Mr. Melody" and "L-O-V-E".

I only perform "L-O-V-E" on special occasions, as I have a "special" way of performing it, LOL.

Let's just say, I lay on the stage and spell the letters out with my legs. In a short dress. The first set of letters or verse, I perform with my head toward the audience. The second verse, well.....let's just say MB is not a shy diva.

I'd post a pic but this is a family show. :)

Thank you mj for thinking of me and playing "Mr. Melody" in my honor. A very sweet birthday gift.

You are most welcome, marybrewster

midnight johnny
05-08-2012, 07:11 PM
Hi John,

Look forward to tonight's show!Glen....hello! So glad you'll be here! Hmmmmm...well...it'll be interesting to see if the version I have is the one you are looking to hear.....

sophisticated_soul
05-08-2012, 07:46 PM
So John, we'll be working in the Cole minds tonight, eh? Sounds very Natalie! I'll be there. Even if it's Too Close For Comfort Now!:) Look forward to seeing you and the gang.:cool:

Non-subliminal request: "Someone That I Used To Love".:)

midnight johnny
05-08-2012, 08:02 PM
So John, we'll be working in the Cole minds tonight, eh? Sounds very Natalie! I'll be there. Even if it's Too Close For Comfort Now!:) Look forward to seeing you and the gang.:cool:

Non-subliminal request: "Someone That I Used To Love".:)

Joseph...yes....we've got Cole on our minds....[[aw.....yours was MUCH better!). Looking very much forward to seeing you too, my friend!

zani57
05-08-2012, 08:32 PM
Hope people here won't think this is a stupid question. But I have wanted to listen to the podcasts or download previous programs. I have seen people make reference to them, but every time I go to the radio website, I see no place where the previous program about Diana Ross and The Supremes or Motown acts or any of the others discussed here are mentioned are available.
Can someone please post a link for not only the previously mentioned programs but for this one on Natalie Cole when it becomes available? I am a caregiver for my mother who is in her 90s and I am not able to listen to the program live. Thank you.

midnight johnny
05-08-2012, 08:41 PM
...in the studio....howwwwwwDYYYYYYYY!

midnight johnny
05-08-2012, 08:44 PM
Hope people here won't think this is a stupid question. But I have wanted to listen to the podcasts or download previous programs. I have seen people make reference to them, but every time I go to the radio website, I see no place where the previous program about Diana Ross and The Supremes or Motown acts or any of the others discussed here are mentioned are available.
Can someone please post a link for not only the previously mentioned programs but for this one on Natalie Cole when it becomes available? I am a caregiver for my mother who is in her 90s and I am not able to listen to the program live. Thank you.

Zani....I am unable to upload any podcasts with music due to copyright issues. What IS available on www.womr.org [[http://www.womr.org) under the "spoken word podcasts" [[left hand menu on the home page) is interviews I've done with various Motown artists and Andy Skurow and George Soloman about new releases that were aired on "Nightflight". Sorry that the music isn't available....sorry for both of us. And thanks so much for your interest!

sophisticated_soul
05-08-2012, 08:45 PM
...in the studio....howwwwwwDYYYYYYYY!

In the house. . .Howd-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e!:rolleyes:

midnight johnny
05-08-2012, 08:48 PM
In the house. . .Howd-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e!:rolleyes:

...hee hheeeeeeeee......loving this music...doing the samba all through the empty OLD schoolhouse....

JimBagley
05-08-2012, 09:07 PM
Hi John,
Could you visit the country side of Natalie a little later on with her big 1985 hit "A Little Bit Of Heaven"?
Thanks. Natalie is a most deserving show honoree.

Jim

lovechild
05-08-2012, 09:11 PM
Hi JP I am so looking forward to Natalie Cole tonight!
it would be nice to hear La Costa and a track from Good to be Back called The Rest of the Night
Have a notorious natalie show!

hi everyone....

JimBagley
05-08-2012, 09:11 PM
And Mary Brewster, have your best birthday ever!

midnight johnny
05-08-2012, 09:13 PM
Hi John,
Could you visit the country side of Natalie a little later on with her big 1985 hit "A Little Bit Of Heaven"?
Thanks. Natalie is a most deserving show honoree.

Jim

Hey there, Jim!!!! Absolutely...for the Philly contingent!!!

JimBagley
05-08-2012, 09:15 PM
HI Tony,
I love "La Costa."

sophisticated_soul
05-08-2012, 09:16 PM
Thanks John! I love this song! First heard it by Eartha Kitt.:cool:

JimBagley
05-08-2012, 09:18 PM
JOsEph,
Someone That I Used To Love is in my Natalie top five. Great tune.

lovechild
05-08-2012, 09:20 PM
oh yeah can't forget Snowfall on the Sahara ... :)

lovechild
05-08-2012, 09:23 PM
Thank you John for The Rest of the Night! I think this is one of my Top 3 Natalie songs

midnight johnny
05-08-2012, 09:25 PM
Thank you John for The Rest of the Night! I think this is one of my Top 3 Natalie songs

I never knew this song....very pretty......thank YOU!

lovechild
05-08-2012, 09:27 PM
I never knew this song....very pretty......thank YOU!
I am glad you enjoyed it Johnny.. it brings back many a memory for me

midnight johnny
05-08-2012, 09:30 PM
Thanks John! I love this song! First heard it by Eartha Kitt.:cool:

Joseoh...did you mean "All About Love"?....sorry...I lose track....

sophisticated_soul
05-08-2012, 09:34 PM
Joseoh...did you mean "All About Love"?....sorry...I lose track....

"Too Close For Comfort". Eartha did it in 1957.:cool:

sophisticated_soul
05-08-2012, 09:36 PM
JOsEph,
Someone That I Used To Love is in my Natalie top five. Great tune.

It is my most fave Natalie track.:cool:

midnight johnny
05-08-2012, 09:40 PM
"Too Close For Comfort". Eartha did it in 1957.:cool:

OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!! [[*smile)

lovechild
05-08-2012, 09:42 PM
Dangerous reminds me of the Pointers Jump lol

lovechild
05-08-2012, 10:01 PM
Natalie is coming to town this summer in a show with Gladys Knight...top ticket is $200

midnight johnny
05-08-2012, 10:02 PM
Natalie is coming to town this summer in a show with Gladys Knight...top ticket is $200

Phew.....she must be feeling better....and what a SHOW!!!!!

lovechild
05-08-2012, 10:11 PM
I would pay $200 just to hear Natalie sing this song ... lol

lovechild
05-08-2012, 10:12 PM
oops did i say that out loud lol

sophisticated_soul
05-08-2012, 10:12 PM
"Someone That I Used To Love". One of the most beautiful songs ever. Thanks for playing it, John. I'd love to hear Ross do a cover of this tune.:cool:

sophisticated_soul
05-08-2012, 10:15 PM
Natalie, Tina, Dennis and Ole King Cole!:rolleyes:

midnight johnny
05-08-2012, 10:16 PM
"Someone That I Used To Love". One of the most beautiful songs ever. Thanks for playing it, John. I'd love to hear Ross do a cover of this tune.:cool:

My pleasure, Joseph....I'd love to have heard Ross do it too....

midnight johnny
05-08-2012, 10:17 PM

Dabney Cole-man

lovechild
05-08-2012, 10:21 PM
Wow thank you for playing La Costa Johnny...i still get those "goosies" as JLO says on AI

midnight johnny
05-08-2012, 10:22 PM
Me tooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

JimBagley
05-08-2012, 10:24 PM

I love Tina Cole

sophisticated_soul
05-08-2012, 10:28 PM
Dabney Cole-man

Or her clothing store, Natalie Kohl's.:rolleyes:;)

midnight johnny
05-08-2012, 10:29 PM
Or her clothing store, Natalie Kohl's.:rolleyes:;)

and Gary's widow....Natalie Cole-man [[*sorry)

Glenpwood
05-08-2012, 10:30 PM
Finally made it! Had to go to dinner with the big boss at the last minute, hows everyone?

midnight johnny
05-08-2012, 10:31 PM
Dangerous reminds me of the Pointers Jump lol

written by the same guys...Bruce looked it up....

midnight johnny
05-08-2012, 10:33 PM
Finally made it! Had to go to dinner with the big boss at the last minute, hows everyone?

Welll...WELCOME home! I saved your request!

Glenpwood
05-08-2012, 10:33 PM
Love Reverend Lee and the whole Snowfall On The Sahara album, i think selling it to my then future boss is the whole i reason i had a new career lined up when Cds started to die.....

lovechild
05-08-2012, 10:34 PM
written by the same guys...Bruce looked it up....

ahhh ok thanks

midnight johnny
05-08-2012, 10:39 PM
Love Reverend Lee and the whole Snowfall On The Sahara album, i think selling it to my then future boss is the whole i reason i had a new career lined up when Cds started to die.....

Glen...is that the version you wanted?

JimBagley
05-08-2012, 10:40 PM
Bruce really needs to learn to sign onto this site and share his comments instead of tying up your phone line.

Glenpwood
05-08-2012, 10:43 PM
John, loving Pink Cadillac...but its not the USA 45 version.... Its one of those songs that once you hear it again you say "oh now I remember that version" Its like how the a lot of the early Madonna hits were forgotten in lieu of those remixes that went on The Immaculate Collection back in 1990 and wound up being the versions radio played after that. I'll have to send you a care package this week....

midnight johnny
05-08-2012, 10:44 PM
John, loving Pink Cadillac...but its not the USA 45 version.... Its one of those songs that once you hear it again you say "oh now I remember that version" Its like how the a lot of the early Madonna hits were forgotten in lieu of those remixes that went on The Immaculate Collection back in 1990 and wound up being the versions radio played after that. I'll have to send you a care package this week....

Damnnnnnnnnn

lovechild
05-08-2012, 10:45 PM
Loving the Natalie show tonight JP thank you :)

midnight johnny
05-08-2012, 10:46 PM
Loving the Natalie show tonight JP thank you :)

Thank YOU, Tony! My pleasure..................

Glenpwood
05-08-2012, 10:47 PM
Coffee Time was reccomended to Natalie to cover by Tony Bennett for Still Unforgettable.....

sophisticated_soul
05-08-2012, 10:50 PM
Wow, I haven't heard "Joey" in ages! I forgot how much I liked it! Thanks John.:cool:

sophisticated_soul
05-08-2012, 10:52 PM
Bruce really needs to learn to sign onto this site and share his comments instead of tying up your phone line.

I second that emotion. Join us Bruce. Be brave.:)

midnight johnny
05-08-2012, 10:57 PM
Wow, I haven't heard "Joey" in ages! I forgot how much I liked it! Thanks John.:cool:

My pleasure, Joeyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

sophisticated_soul
05-08-2012, 11:00 PM
My pleasure, Joeyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

So indulgent of me huh? LOL!!!!!!!!!:rolleyes:;)

lovechild
05-08-2012, 11:04 PM
Wow Party Lights long time no hear...love it!

JimBagley
05-08-2012, 11:06 PM
Was there a better song to dance to in the late '70s than Party Lights?

midnight johnny
05-08-2012, 11:09 PM
Was there a better song to dance to in the late '70s than Party Lights?

"I'll Always love my Mama"

JimBagley
05-08-2012, 11:17 PM
"I'll Always love my Mama"

Different part of the '70s, at least for me.

lovechild
05-08-2012, 11:21 PM
I second that emotion. Join us Bruce. Be brave.:)

yeah come over from the dark side Bruce ...

lovechild
05-08-2012, 11:26 PM
YAY! Thank You Johnny for Snowfall !

midnight johnny
05-08-2012, 11:32 PM
YAY! Thank You Johnny for Snowfall !

........Coitenly!

lovechild
05-08-2012, 11:33 PM
wow i thought i knew Natalie's catalogue pretty good but you have turned me on to some new ones tongiht JP - gracias :)

Glenpwood
Lush Life.... Such a fantastic interpretation.... Hard to believe it was written by a teenager.... Thanks John!

JimBagley
I have to sign off now, John. Thank you for a wonderful array of Natalie tracks.

sophisticated_soul
05-08-2012, 11:35 PM
I have to sign off now, John. Thank you for a wonderful array of Natalie tracks.

'Night Jim.:)

midnight johnny
05-08-2012, 11:37 PM
wow i thought i knew Natalie's catalogue pretty good but you have turned me on to some new ones tongiht JP - gracias :)

That makes me very happy Tone!

midnight johnny
05-08-2012, 11:38 PM
Lush Life.... Such a fantastic interpretation.... Hard to believe it was written by a teenager.... Thanks John!

Absolutely!!!!

midnight johnny
05-08-2012, 11:39 PM

Jim....thanks!!! Have a great night!!

midnight johnny
05-08-2012, 11:52 PM
Thank you all.....so nice to have you all to share this amazing Natalie music. Have a great week....and remember....Andy and George and the Supremes LIVE next week!

sophisticated_soul
05-08-2012, 11:54 PM
What a lovely show. Thank you John. Thanks one and all, see you next time.:cool:

lovechild
05-08-2012, 11:55 PM
JP Thank you for a totally enjoyable evening with Natalie! Have a super week all. See you @the Copa!

Glenpwood
05-09-2012, 12:00 AM
What a great show! Everyone have a marvelous week. I will see everyone back here for Copa Night next week. Hope I can find the proper feathers to pin around my neck in tribute. Will also be working on my straw hat and cane twirling routine for Rock A Bye Your Baby With A Dixie Melody till then.....;)

sophisticated_soul
05-09-2012, 12:01 AM
Off hand I can think of two other ladies [[Judy Collins and Etta James) who have recorded Dylan's "Gotta Serve Somebody". Natalie's version is excellent.:cool: