PDA

View Full Version : The Supremes "Live in Japan"

test

marybrewster
04-26-2012, 09:34 AM
I've just recently rediscovered this gem and have a question or two; can someone answer?

Is this one complete show, or like "Copa" and "Farewell", several shows sewn together? The set states that it was recorded June 3, 1973, but over the years I have learned not to believe eveything I have read.

"Hot off the heels" of 'Jimmy Webb', why wasn't "I Guess I'll Miss the Man" included in this live show? [[Was "IGIMTM" a part of their live act during this time frame.....or ever?) Was this setlist typical of their US/UK set? Interesting that all of the 60's Diana hits and 70's Jean hits are lumped into medleys, but there are full versions of non-Supremes material.

Why wasn't it until 2004 that this was released? [[I understand it was originally released in Japan but was quickly withdrawn; was it ever slated for a US/UK release? Why was it pulled in Japan?)

Does anyone know much about the tour itself? How long were the Supremes in Japan? Are there any pictures of this tour circulating? The only ones I have seen are with Jean, Mary and Lynda in the "Tropical Lilac" gowns; did they wear anything else?

Lastly, can anyone "breakdown" the band introduction [[Supremes overture)? I hear "Up the Ladder" and "Baby Love".....

Thanks and warm regards.

MB

carlo
04-26-2012, 09:53 AM
Yes, it's one show.

I've seen a couple of other photos from this tour. There's one of Jean, Mary and Lynda that I've seen. I think it might be in Mary's book, "Supreme Faith"? They're standing with some ladies who are dressed in traditional Japanese clothing. Jean is wearing a polka-dot dress.

ivyfield
04-26-2012, 10:50 AM
I've just recently rediscovered this gem and have a question or two; can someone answer?

Is this one complete show, or like "Copa" and "Farewell", several shows sewn together? The set states that it was recorded June 3, 1973, but over the years I have learned not to believe eveything I have read.

"Hot off the heels" of 'Jimmy Webb', why wasn't "I Guess I'll Miss the Man" included in this live show? [[Was "IGIMTM" a part of their live act during this time frame.....or ever?) Was this setlist typical of their US/UK set? Interesting that all of the 60's Diana hits and 70's Jean hits are lumped into medleys, but there are full versions of non-Supremes material.

Why wasn't it until 2004 that this was released? [[I understand it was originally released in Japan but was quickly withdrawn; was it ever slated for a US/UK release? Why was it pulled in Japan?)

Does anyone know much about the tour itself? How long were the Supremes in Japan? Are there any pictures of this tour circulating? The only ones I have seen are with Jean, Mary and Lynda in the "Tropical Lilac" gowns; did they wear anything else?

Lastly, can anyone "breakdown" the band introduction [[Supremes overture)? I hear "Up the Ladder" and "Baby Love".....

Thanks and warm regards.

MB

I've got some pictures and Lynda has got a huge amount of slides [[now with Eric since she had the fire at her LA apartment. I'll dig mine out and post them. Lynda told me they didn't even know the show had been recorded until it was released in Japan [[only) and it wasn't the full show. Jean did 'People' and they also performed McArthur Park. I was sooo lucky to get my copy of the LP because my ex-partner had a business trip to Japan and saw it in a record shop and bought it for me. I was so thrilled. The girls sound great on it don't they?

kenneth
04-26-2012, 11:24 AM
I haven't played this album in a long time. My memory of it is that vocally the girls sound great and I like some of the material that they didn't ever record commercially, such as Mary's "Quiet Nights of Quiet Stars". I think the low point is Jean's rendition of the Diane-led Supremes singles, such as "Stop! in the Name of Love," which she performs in such an odd delivery and seems to throw away the lyrics. They do excel at their own material though. All that aside, as a rare document of this version of the group, the album is very much worth having.

marybrewster
04-26-2012, 01:11 PM
carlo, ivyfield, kenneth: thank you.

I'm really enjoying this and thank you ivy for mentioning: for a Supremes "concert", it seems rather short. I had meant to ask above if there were songs that were cut. I wonder what other songs were nixed for the LP release? The 60's "medley" is a little painful, not that I don't mind other Supremes singing the 60's hits, but Jean goes WELL out of her way to make them unrecognizable.

Jimi LaLumia
04-26-2012, 03:05 PM
the "Japan" thread from a few months back basically acknowledged how unlistenable this album actually is;
maybe the Jean version knew the end was near, it's so uninspired, so lazy, just another paycheck,and Jean mangles the 60's hits in that nightmare of a medely[[and I am a steadfast Jean fan, but the truth IS the truth!)..
no surprise that this wasn't released in America..

carlo
04-26-2012, 03:32 PM
I think it was Mary who wrote that Jean hated singing the 60's hits during their live shows? From medley included on the Live In Japan LP, you could definitely tell she disliked singing them. She was really all over the place when she was singing that medley. It sounds like she was bored and it was her way of trying to make those songs more exciting, but the end result is something that was stated earlier on as "unrecognizable".

kenneth
04-26-2012, 03:50 PM
I think it was Mary who wrote that Jean hated singing the 60's hits during their live shows? From medley included on the Live In Japan LP, you could definitely tell she disliked singing them. She was really all over the place when she was singing that medley. It sounds like she was bored and it was her way of trying to make those songs more exciting, but the end result is something that was stated earlier on as "unrecognizable".

Which is really a shame, because with Jean's talent, her full on voice and more R&B-oriented sound, those songs wouldn't have sounded the way they did when Diane sang them but they definitely could have been very strong performances. And when you think about it, next to Diane, Jean had more rights to sing them than anyone else! Obviously she had big shoes to fill, but it's really too bad she so undervalued those songs.

BayouMotownMan
04-26-2012, 03:56 PM
The lp was issued in Japan nearly a year after it was recorded. By the time it was realized over there that Jean and Lynda had left the group, it was pulled.

ivyfield
04-26-2012, 04:26 PM
carlo, ivyfield, kenneth: thank you.

I'm really enjoying this and thank you ivy for mentioning: for a Supremes "concert", it seems rather short. I had meant to ask above if there were songs that were cut. I wonder what other songs were nixed for the LP release? The 60's "medley" is a little painful, not that I don't mind other Supremes singing the 60's hits, but Jean goes WELL out of her way to make them unrecognizable.

Yep. As much as I LOVE Ms Terrell - I totally agree - I guess she wanted to be different to Ross but the problem was, she took her interpretation waaaay too far from the versions of the songs we all know and love. Still, it must be frustrating to be expected to sing [[mimic) someone else's style when you have an INCREDIBLE vocal ability of your own. Some singers handle it very well - Ali-Ollie was a truly amazing singer [[and very nice guy) who effortlessly maintained the David Ruffin original sound but with a slight twist of his own. I rate Ali as one of the best Motown singers ever. The guy Otis has now just isn't made of the same stuff.

Roberta75
04-26-2012, 05:22 PM
Yep. As much as I LOVE Ms Terrell - I totally agree - I guess she wanted to be different to Ross but the problem was, she took her interpretation waaaay too far from the versions of the songs we all know and love. Still, it must be frustrating to be expected to sing [[mimic) someone else's style when you have an INCREDIBLE vocal ability of your own. Some singers handle it very well - Ali-Ollie was a truly amazing singer [[and very nice guy) who effortlessly maintained the David Ruffin original sound but with a slight twist of his own. I rate Ali as one of the best Motown singers ever. The guy Otis has now just isn't made of the same stuff.

What a great photo of three stunning ladies and a handsome man. Everyone looks so happy.

Fondly,

Roberta

mwmr
04-26-2012, 05:29 PM
Wished they'd release Mary scherrie and cindy live in Japan 1975

ivyfield
04-26-2012, 05:55 PM
Well, the master is sitting on a shelf somewhere in a tv studio in Japan. Someone just needs to dig it out and license it...

dickiemint
04-26-2012, 06:23 PM
I have only seen Jean perform as part of the Flo's, and at that time she sang the 70's songs she recorded and she also shared leads with Lynda and Scherrie on the 60's hits and their versions were good, I remember Lynda singing Love Child and Scherrie singing My World is Empty Without you, but can't remember Jean singing any full leads to a 60's hit.
Anyone remember The Flo's set differently?

marv2
04-26-2012, 07:13 PM
I got the "Live in Japan" album somewhere between 1979 - 81. It contained one of the best versions of "My World Is Empty Without You" and the lead was sung by Jean Terrell! I also liked their version of the Staple Singers, "I'll Take You There".

marybrewster
04-27-2012, 08:27 AM
Am wondering if the 1975 show with MSC is essentially the same show as performed in 1973 with JML?

There are several YouTube clips [[the 70's medley comes to mind) from '75 which a very similar to the show 2 years before. This might have been just prior to the how "act" being revamped; the dream sequence being added, etc?

luke
04-27-2012, 09:22 AM
I like some of the Flos original stuff-Crazy bout the Guy and I Wanna be Loved but their versions of Surpemes hits dont sound like the Surpemes. Dont like at all. Scherrie just ruins Stoned Love IMO.

kenneth
04-27-2012, 09:52 AM

It'd be great, maybe even coupled with the MSS last show which aired on British TV. I wonder if there's any chance of this though. The "Live in Japan" disc doesn't seem to have sold well, considering it's still available even though it was a Limited Ed. I love what I've seen and heard of the MSS live show so will continue to hope, and certainly Hip-O has given us lots of unexpected surprises in the past.

Jimi LaLumia
04-27-2012, 11:27 AM
"Live In Japan" didn't sell because word got out on how awful it is...that should have no impact on any other releases

rod_rick
04-27-2012, 11:46 AM
Am wondering if the 1975 show with MSC is essentially the same show as performed in 1973 with JML?

There are several YouTube clips [[the 70's medley comes to mind) from '75 which a very similar to the show 2 years before. This might have been just prior to the how "act" being revamped; the dream sequence being added, etc?

I would say there are some simularites but there are quite a few differences becasue Mary is featured more after Jean and Lynda left the group. The song list with MCS was better imo than the JML song list from Live in Japan.

Glenpwood
04-27-2012, 02:18 PM
Ok, put this CD onto my Ipod to listen to it again since I've haven't in ages. [[It's my least rotated Supremes release). The Medley isn't horrid but there seems to be a push pull going on where Jean adds her fills and trills to put her stamp on the Ross era hits then has to rush through the words to stay caught up in the medley. Mary is also miked poorly for her solo lines on Where Did Our Love Go which doesn't help. The show is very Supper Club friendly which is fine when you're eating steak and sipping wine but I don't believe they were playing that type of venue when they recorded this. They should have had a more dynamic show for outdoor venues and concert halls and kept the standards for the Copa/Vegas dates. Particularly by 1972-1973 as music had certainly shifted far away from this for the current chart acts. I doubt the Temps were doing Old Man River next to Papa Was A Rolling Stone by this point. They needed to move forward but there were a lot of elements internal and external making it impossible for them to do so....

marv2
04-27-2012, 11:24 PM

The show/concert you are referring that was performed by Mary Wilson, Scherrie Payne and Cindy Birdsong in Japan was in the Summer of 1974. It was a year after Mary, Jean and Lynda performed there. I have the concert, but if you watch it again, you will notice that they [[Mary, Cindy and Scherrie) perform "Bad Weather" which was the lastest single release the Supremes had at that time. You also notice that they did not perform "He's My Man" or any others from 1975 because they had not recorded most of the album yet.

franjoy56
04-29-2012, 11:01 PM
I think the 1973 Supremes Live in Japan is a great show, considering the Supremes weren't getting along together that well off stage, and with Jean being the lead singer it was her perogative to give the 60's Supremes hits her stamp and not to try to imulate the Ross version of those songs. She sang with what she had to work with and she shined on her version of the 70's Supremes hits including "Bad Weather" hehehe, and the Supremes medley of non hits "cabaret, For once in my life & Illl take you there" Mary's solo was also great, and Jean does a great intro of her like there was no trouble in the lineup.

kenneth
04-30-2012, 12:47 AM
The show/concert you are referring that was performed by Mary Wilson, Scherrie Payne and Cindy Birdsong in Japan was in the Summer of 1974. It was a year after Mary, Jean and Lynda performed there. I have the concert, but if you watch it again, you will notice that they [[Mary, Cindy and Scherrie) perform "Bad Weather" which was the lastest single release the Supremes had at that time. You also notice that they did not perform "He's My Man" or any others from 1975 because they had not recorded most of the album yet.

How does Scherrie do on "Bad Weather?" I bet she nails that one.

How lucky you are to have this concert...are you willing to share with us how you happen to have it?

marv2
04-30-2012, 01:43 AM
How does Scherrie do on "Bad Weather?" I bet she nails that one.

How lucky you are to have this concert...are you willing to share with us how you happen to have it?

Scherrie does a great job on Bad Weather, but so do Mary and Cindy as they are very upfront with the backing vocals and choreography.

How I happen to have it? I know bad people!

Marv

ivyfield
04-30-2012, 09:49 AM

Back in the days when I ran the fan club in the UK someone sent me the SCM in Japan show - I'm the person who posted it all to YouTube in several parts. It's just such a pity the quality wasn't very good. I thought the show was great. BTW - Scherrie [[I want to say hates but that's not in Scherrie's vocabulary!) 'Intensley dislikes' BAD WEATHER. I'd still love to do a new version with Lynda on lead though.

mwmr
04-30-2012, 12:29 PM
I love the MSC live version of bad weather with the opening accapella 'oohs'. I'd love a version that started like that

rod_rick
04-30-2012, 01:48 PM
Back in the days when I ran the fan club in the UK someone sent me the SCM in Japan show - I'm the person who posted it all to YouTube in several parts. It's just such a pity the quality wasn't very good. I thought the show was great. BTW - Scherrie [[I want to say hates but that's not in Scherrie's vocabulary!) 'Intensley dislikes' BAD WEATHER. I'd still love to do a new version with Lynda on lead though.

For Scherrie to DISLIKE "Bad Weather" she sang the hell out of it. I love her take on it.