PDA

View Full Version : A Tip Of The Cap To You All!

test

juicefree20
04-26-2012, 12:11 AM
Just finishing recuperating from yesterday, having spent an entire half of a day [[4 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.) in the emergency room with my mother, who turned out to be just fine.

I imagine that the stay would've been much shorter had we not had the misfortune of arriving not very long before a shift change. Worse than that, shortly after the shift change, they had to move my mother from the room because they had an emergency coming in...a baby who was in full cardiac arrest.

As we were moving from the room, I went to get a chair & as I did, the stretcher came in & I caught a glimpse of the baby & the EMT doing compressions on the baby's chest. Seeing any child in such a condition is horrible, but I immediately thought of my own grandson & prayed like hell that that baby would pull through.

They took my mother for an x-ray & when we came back, she was placed in a room a little distance away until they finished with the baby & nearly an hour later, they were still working on that baby. Shortly afterward, a few of the doctors exited the room & as I watched about 5 police officers standing nearby, I got the feeling that that baby didn't make it. When I looked at the nurses station in the next wing & saw a chaplain, I knew that that poor baby didn't make it. I watched them wheel the baby out & shortly afterward, the mother let out a cry & tried to run into the room in which her baby had just died. Someone, I imagine he was the father of the baby caught her as she tried to leap into that room.

Now I don't know what the officers were there to investigate, I don't know the circumstances which led to the baby [[who was a girl who was a month-old) being in that state. But what I do know is this...

There are some things which we can't prevent, things which we have no control of. I also know that there are some things which we CAN control & that's how we choose to live our lives.

I say all of this to say that on any given day, you never know what kind of a day any one of us may have had. And as with many things, often it's the little things that count. And as ridiculous as this may sound to some of the more cynical of us, yesterday was one of those days when little things meant a lot. At least it did to me.

After the day that I had, I was exhausted & was going to post a few things but was just too tired. Nevertheless, it was nice to come here & see you guys in the Motown section posting some positive thoughts about whomever & it was nice to see the efforts made as regards respecting one another & the various threads.

As I said, all of that may seem like such a little thing to most, but yesterday, it was right on time!

It's not very often these days when we hear nice things said about this section so, I just wanted to say this to you all.

smark21
04-26-2012, 07:42 AM
Glad you and your mother are doing a bit better after a miserable day in the ER. But you must not have looked at the thread Diana Ross introduces the Voice Whitney Houston thread. Just as well.

marv2
04-26-2012, 09:08 AM
Glad you and your mother are doing a bit better after a miserable day in the ER. But you must not have looked at the thread Diana Ross introduces the Voice Whitney Houston thread. Just as well.

Yes that thread came close to exploding. But as long as the posters refrain from personally attacking one another, I'm satisfied.

marv2
04-26-2012, 09:12 AM
Just finishing recuperating from yesterday, having spent an entire half of a day [[4 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.) in the emergency room with my mother, who turned out to be just fine.

I imagine that the stay would've been much shorter had we not had the misfortune of arriving not very long before a shift change. Worse than that, shortly after the shift change, they had to move my mother from the room because they had an emergency coming in...a baby who was in full cardiac arrest.

As we were moving from the room, I went to get a chair & as I did, the stretcher came in & I caught a glimpse of the baby & the EMT doing compressions on the baby's chest. Seeing any child in such a condition is horrible, but I immediately thought of my own grandson & prayed like hell that that baby would pull through.

They took my mother for an x-ray & when we came back, she was placed in a room a little distance away until they finished with the baby & nearly an hour later, they were still working on that baby. Shortly afterward, a few of the doctors exited the room & as I watched about 5 police officers standing nearby, I got the feeling that that baby didn't make it. When I looked at the nurses station in the next wing & saw a chaplain, I knew that that poor baby didn't make it. I watched them wheel the baby out & shortly afterward, the mother let out a cry & tried to run into the room in which her baby had just died. Someone, I imagine he was the father of the baby caught her as she tried to leap into that room.

Now I don't know what the officers were there to investigate, I don't know the circumstances which led to the baby [[who was a girl who was a month-old) being in that state. But what I do know is this...

There are some things which we can't prevent, things which we have no control of. I also know that there are some things which we CAN control & that's how we choose to live our lives.

I say all of this to say that on any given day, you never know what kind of a day any one of us may have had. And as with many things, often it's the little things that count. And as ridiculous as this may sound to some of the more cynical of us, yesterday was one of those days when little things meant a lot. At least it did to me.

After the day that I had, I was exhausted & was going to post a few things but was just too tired. Nevertheless, it was nice to come here & see you guys in the Motown section posting some positive thoughts about whomever & it was nice to see the efforts made as regards respecting one another & the various threads.

As I said, all of that may seem like such a little thing to most, but yesterday, it was right on time!

It's not very often these days when we hear nice things said about this section so, I just wanted to say this to you all.

Juice, I have had similar experiences. I can remember lying in the hallway of the ER at Einstein Medical Center in the Bronx for 6 hours before they even moved me into an ER exam room!. Glad to hear your mother is doing fine. Sorry to hear about the little baby. Cardiac arrest? Wow!

Marv

juicefree20
04-27-2012, 09:56 PM
Smark:

Thank you, that was like 12 hours from hell & fortunately, much ado about very little.

As for that thread, I've been absent for a bit & don't recall seeing it & I have to admit that it doesn't sound like a thread that I would've looked at. From where I sit, Diana Ross has had entirely too many accomplishments for me to consider her introducing anyone not named Michael, Jermaine, Marlon, Tito or Jackie as being especially newsworthy.

I also have to say that I don't expect that a thread will get a bit emotional or that folks won't get angry from time-to-time. But all things considered, one thread where folks get a tiny bit heated as compared to 10 threads where folks are cursing one another out is what I call ''progress''.

Relatively speaking, that is.

juicefree20
04-27-2012, 10:06 PM
Marv,

Thank you.

From where I sit there seems to be no ''good'' time to have to go to the E.R., but it seems as though 4 a.m. is a bit too close to the shift changes that can find all but the most seriously ill or injured patients forgotten about.

By the way, I don't see the thread that you & Smark referred to, so I imagine that it must've been heading into the wrong direction.

Either way, from the few times in which I've been here lately, the thread topics that one might usually expect to go out of control have actually featured some pretty thoughtful dialogue. The other day, I read a few of the responses in the threads about Flo & Syreeta & it struck me that often, those kind of threads go off the rails pretty quickly.

I guess that I'm trying to see the glass more as being half-full as opposed to half-empty & to me, it seems as though people are making an effort. And that's a good thing.

ralpht
04-27-2012, 10:32 PM
Juice,
I've been through it. Tough road. Glad things are settling.

Roberta75
04-27-2012, 11:19 PM

My dear Juice, I just read this and hope your mom is fully recovered. That innocent baby is nestling in the arms of Jesus today. I pray that God is comforting the parents. It isn't supposed to happen this way but God has a reason for everything.

From the good book of Mathew:

"Whoever humbles himself like this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven. “Whoever receives one such child in my name receives me."

My best to you sweet Juice.

Roberta

juicefree20
04-27-2012, 11:26 PM
Ralph,

Hey bud! Thanks for the good words! Things are holding steady, but sadly, things will never be as they were. Though common sense would seem to dictate otherwise, for some reason I just never dreamed of, much less imagined the kind of changes that comes with some illnesses & simply becoming elderly. Somehow, you only imagine these things happening on tv or to others.

It could be that often, you can be a little too close to see things until they really manifest themselves, not that you can do very much to change it. From where I sit, fate sure seems to have one hell of a sense of humor.

Or should I say, a severe lack of same?