PDA

View Full Version : Smokey Robinson heats up Caesars Atlantic City!

test

marv2
04-25-2012, 03:39 PM
Spanning several decades with hit after hit, Smokey Robinson minus the Miracles returned to Atlantic City Saturday, April 21, 2012 when he performed to a packed house in The Circus Maximus Theater at Caesars, Atlantic City. Called 'America’s greatest living poet,' by singer Bob Dylan, Smokey Robinson offered his familiar soul and Motown sounds to the stage once again to the joy of everyone who had the privlege to be in the room.

Robinson, looking as if he just stepped out of a fashion magazine in a dazzling red sport jacket with black pants and matching black shirt, began singing,and the multi generation audience went wild. Robinson, minus the Miracles, wasted no time bringing back the sounds that have become so familiar to music fans around the world which always includes, 'I Second That Emotion.'By the time he finished his second number, the swooning and the cheering began to elevate. The quality of his unmistakable sound, the ability to hit the falsetto notes and his smooth at ease style on stage, makes an evening with Smokey Robinson a pleasure to watch as well as hear. Robinson took the audience on a Motown trip, with his hits including, 'Really Got A Hold On Me,''Being With You,' and at the end of 'Ohh Baby Baby,' the audience was on their feet with thunderous applause.

Advertisement

One of the pleasantries of any of his shows is the time Robinson spends interacting with the audience. Making them a part of the show as he recounts his life and his recording career. The audience in turn, listens and then begin to yell things directly to him on stage.

Robinson was born February 19, 1940 in Detroit. He began his career in the late 1950s, when he met Motown founder Barry Gordy, Jr. Robinson, as a member of the Miracles released a number of singles with one of them, 'Shop Around' which established them as a group with much promise. That promise became evident as the Miracles, with Smokey Robinson as lead had twenty-five [[25) Top 40 hits. In addition to Robinson’s vocals he became one of the most sought after songwriters at Motown, writing hits for Mary Wells and the Temptations and many others.

Smokey Robinson married the Miracles lead female singer, Claudette Rogers in 1964 and stopped touring with the group even though he continued to sing on their recordings, finally leaving the group in 1972. His best known albums were, 'Quiet Storm,'[[1975 and 'Being With You' in 1981). Smokey Robinson has retained all of the attributes that made him so popular from the start. He is dynamic, warm, friendly, and comfortable on stage. He still sounds like he did 35 years ago with a rich voice and a charming manner. For anyone who wants to spend an evening having a Motown soulful, memory fun filled evening, make sure you catch Smokey Robinson as he is one of the premier entertainers around today.

R. Mark Desjardins
04-25-2012, 04:08 PM
I had the good luck to see Smokey live at the Burnaby Blues Festival here in Canada, two years back on the same bill with Sharon Jones and the Dap Kings. He opened up the show with "Going To A Go Go" slowly building up steam with two female "go go" dancers working the crowd before boogieing on stage and setting the night on fire.
What stood out the most to me was Smokey's reworking of "The Love I Saw In You Was Just A Mirage" into a modern day anthem. It has been my greatest frustration that nobody yet has posted something on youtube capturing that moment. It was truly a highlight.

marv2
04-25-2012, 05:57 PM
I had the good luck to see Smokey live at the Burnaby Blues Festival here in Canada, two years back on the same bill with Sharon Jones and the Dap Kings. He opened up the show with "Going To A Go Go" slowly building up steam with two female "go go" dancers working the crowd before boogieing on stage and setting the night on fire.
What stood out the most to me was Smokey's reworking of "The Love I Saw In You Was Just A Mirage" into a modern day anthem. It has been my greatest frustration that nobody yet has posted something on youtube capturing that moment. It was truly a highlight.

That does sound like a special show! I use to go see Smokey when he would play the Fox Theater in Detroit. He will be here on Long Island in a few weeks and I am thinking of going to see him out here. Gladys concert is the week afterwards.