PDA

View Full Version : Diana Ross takes audience on journey of hits in her Indy concert

test

jobeterob
04-25-2012, 03:06 PM
Ross takes audience on journey of hits in her Indy concert
Star of Motown, disco eras adds moving Billie Holiday tribute to night's mix of hits

Apr. 25, 2012 | 2 Comments

AA Diana Ross performs during her Spring Tour stop at the Murat Theatre at Old National Centre Tuesday April 24, 2012. Joe Vitti / The StarShow Caption

Written by
David Lindquist

Where: Murat Theatre in Old National Centre.

Bottom line: A star in two eras plus one that came before.

Did you attend this concert? Post your own review or comments at IndyStar.com. See a gallery at IndyStar.com/photos.

Photo gallery: Diana Ross performs during her Spring Tour stop

It’s second nature for Diana Ross to turn a concert into a master class on the topics of Motown and disco. She recorded 16 No. 1 singles during the 1960s and ’70s, so any performance can be a dazzling parade of hits.

Tuesday’s show at the Murat Theatre in Old National Centre made good on this concept, but Ross was at her best when paying tribute to Billie Holiday — the jazz singer who died before Ross signed her first recording contract.

In 1972, Ross portrayed Holiday in the film “Lady Sings the Blues.” Two songs from the soundtrack, “Fine and Mellow” and “Don’t Explain,” are featured on Ross’ current tour, billed as “More Today Than Yesterday: The Greatest Hits.”

Now 68, Ross delivered perfectly nuanced vocals during “Don’t Explain,” a heart-wrenching message to an unfaithful man who represents both “joy and pain.”

For her nine-member band, the Holiday segment provided a chance to pass around solos and emphasize musical versatility. Elsewhere, the Motown pace proved frantic and the disco groove allowed slightly more room to breathe.

Across the 80-minute show, Ross wore five gowns [[a white-with-gold-accents opener followed by red, blue, pink and gold). The Murat performance lacked an encore rendition of “Reach Out and Touch [[Somebody’s Hand)” that’s been heard on other tour stops.

Ross didn’t invest a wealth of emotion in songs she popularized, and she missed an opportunity to remember Michael Jackson in his home state. She’s credited with helping Michael and his brothers ascend from Gary to stardom, but the night’s only King of Pop reference arrived with a guitar-riff quote of “Billie Jean” inside a cover of Gloria Gaynor’s “I Will Survive.”

Early in the program, the Motown hits were an enjoyable romp. Audience members filled in for absent Supremes by singing with enthusiasm, and Ross cycled through “Where Did Our Love Go,” “Baby Love,” “Stop! In the Name of Love” and “You Can’t Hurry Love.” It’s worth noting that these four songs reached the top of Billboard magazine’s chart in 1964-66, a time when the Beatles seemed to have a stranglehold on every pop-culture achievement.

Ross segued easily to disco anthems “Love Hangover,” “It’s My House” and “Upside Down.” It’s intriguing that Gaynor’s “I Will Survive” earns an endorsement from Ross. Perhaps she isn’t territorial about chart battles of the late ’70s and she simply likes the song.

In contrast, girl-group dominance doesn’t appear to be something Ross would yield — even nearly 50 years after the fact.

Roberta75
04-25-2012, 03:50 PM
Diane keeps getting good reviews.

Good for her.

Thank you for the review.

Best to you,

Roberta

R. Mark Desjardins
04-25-2012, 04:03 PM
What many Diana Ross distractors forget, or seemingly overlook, is the fact that when it was announced that she would portray Billie Holiday, the jazz singer's recordings were out of print, save for "best of" collections. I had heard the name of this fabled jazz singer, but couldn't easily find any records by her, back in 1970 when talk of Ross' participation in the film circulated. Many jazz "critics" were outraged at the suggestion of Ross playing the part of Holiday, but Ralph Gleason was one of the first to come to Ross' defense in print, and I remember her writing a letter of thanks to him published in Rolling Stone magazine.
I saw Diana perform in Toronto back in May of 2011 and her performance was astonishing. I anxiously await a new studio album in the near future.

carlo
04-25-2012, 05:37 PM
I saw Diana perform in Toronto back in May of 2011 and her performance was astonishing.

I was there too. It was a great show. But it was May 2010. :)

R. Mark Desjardins
04-25-2012, 06:45 PM
Carlo
You're right! To paraphrase the Supremes, "Where Did That Year Go?" Here's a photo I took from the upper side balcony. No doubt you may have read elsewhere on this site about my chance observation of Diana's hand fluffing up her hair from the elevator shaft below stage level. Enjoy this picture from the concert that magic evening. Hard to believe it's already been two years ago! 4797

jobeterob
04-25-2012, 07:00 PM
I used to save a few Motown clippings and I have a copy of the Thank you letter to the editor from Diana Ross to Ralph Gleason..........."Thank you. It was beautiful" Signed Diana Ross.

He said he knew Billie Holiday, fully expected to hate the movie, and instead came out believing Ross truly loved Holiday and that she should win the Oscar for it.

carlo
04-25-2012, 07:57 PM
Thank you Mark for sharing the photo, as well as your memories from the show. I remember it was an exciting day!

That afternoon, my friends and I waited outside the venue and we got to see Diana's limo pull up. A friend of mine at that time had been in contact with the security people at the venue and got a tip as to when she would be arriving [[which apparently is information that is usually not given out). We had to watch her arrival from the street, because of the security that was in place. We waited where we were told and patiently watched her limo drive past us, as all sorts of autograph hounds started to run up to the limo with arm-fulls of albums. The security people stopped the autograph seekers and had them move back. That's when Diana got out and all sorts of people were screaming, "DIANA!" She walked into the building wearing her classic ugg boots, as well as a black coat and sun glasses. We only saw the back of her head.

milven
04-25-2012, 08:07 PM
An appropriate time and place to re-post this remix of Diana and Billie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mpt1z9Lzyc

jobeterob
04-26-2012, 11:26 PM
Diana Ross
Murat Theatre at Old National Centre
Tuesday, April 24

Squeezed between five wardrobe changes, 68-year-old Diana Ross and her 12-piece soul review band, steam rolled through a 21-song greatest hits set at the Murat Theater Tuesday night. Making an entrance to a slightly too literal, "I'm Coming Out," a spry Ross cut straight to the musical chase, covering the various periods of her career in chronological order: Supreme, Diva, Disco Queen and Jazz Chanteuse.

There was a perfunctory quality to the early girl group material that was almost understandable, and spoke to the awkwardness of a 68-year-old singing a ditty like "Why Do Fools Fall in Love." Given Ross' age and reputation as a diva, one could have expected stage lighting and pastel gels. But, to her credit, The Boss, showing no signs of vanity and without breaking a sweat, worked the lip of the stage while withstanding a hot white spotlight the entirety of the night. A stark contrast to The Ross, who was booed at the 2008 Jamaica Jazz Festival due to her refusal to allow JumboTron projections of her performance to the cheap seats.

The biggest revelation of the night was how at ease and robust Ross sounded covering Billie Holiday's "Fine and Mellow" and "Don't Explain," even prompting a fan to yell, "You're an angel!" The evening coming to a close with a double whammy performance of "Ain't No Mountain High Enough" and "I Will Survive." Just prior to leaving the stage a gracious Ross, who had kept chit-chat to a minimum, surprised everyone by thanking the caregiver in the crowd who had been assisting her wheelchair-bound family member.

Setlist from Tuesday's performance at the Murat:
I'm Coming Out
More Today Than Yesterday
My World Is Empty Without You
Where Did Our Love Go?
Baby Love
Stop! in the Name of Love
You Can't Hurry Love
Touch Me in the Morning
Love Child
The Boss
Upside Down