PDA

View Full Version : Diana Ross & the Supremes - The Cornet Man

test

BabyLuv64
04-19-2012, 09:42 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9omXjcT3MpY

carlo
04-19-2012, 10:51 AM
I was the one who had originally posted this clip and it seems people like to save it and re-post it, which is fine. I ended up taking it down at one point, so at least people still get to see it.

BayouMotownMan
04-19-2012, 04:12 PM
I love this clip Carlo, thanks for bringing it back. Cindy seems a little unsure of her choreography, especially in the beginning, but Diana Ross as usual dives into it. Mary Wilson, sexy as ever

smark21
04-19-2012, 07:35 PM
Did they also do “Sam You Made the Pants too Long” on this show?

R. Mark Desjardins
04-19-2012, 08:04 PM
It's performing eclectic material like this that set Diana Ross & The Supremes apart from the pack, and ensured their place in musical history. Maybe not the soulful funky material that some of their fan base craved, but lots of fun viewing back in the day, and even more fun enjoyed in retrospect today. Thank you Carlo for posting originally and kudos to BabyLuv64 for reprising this gem!

rod_rick
04-19-2012, 08:59 PM
I love this clip Carlo, thanks for bringing it back. Cindy seems a little unsure of her choreography, especially in the beginning, but Diana Ross as usual dives into it. Mary Wilson, sexy as ever

Cindy was dancing safe to kep that dress from riding up LOL. I can't tell if it's CIndy or Flo with Mary on background. Good performance

BayouMotownMan
04-19-2012, 09:02 PM
I hear Cindy on many of the tunes, especially Don't Rain On My Parade. Flo was long-gone by the time they recorded this album

nomis
04-19-2012, 09:08 PM
Smark -yes they did "Sam" on this show as well...it led "Jet" magazine to comment on Hope hugging Diana observing that it was rare for a white entertainer to openly show physical affection for as they put it - a "tan" performer..I dont think I could have lived in the 60s with such racial unease...

bradsupremes
04-19-2012, 11:58 PM
The Funny Girl album is rather unusual when it comes to background vocals. Mary and Cindy recorded the entire Funny Girl album; however the Andantes and I think other session singers were brought in to add additional vocals on several of the songs. What's strange is that instead of having the additional singers sing with Mary and Cindy throughout the entire song [[like "Cornet Man"), the additional singers pop in and out on songs. For instance, take a listen to "I'm The Greatest Star." It's Mary and Cindy throughout all of the song, but then when it gets to "Some ain't got it, not a lump / She's a great big clump of talent / Laugh" and then again at "Eyes on the target and wham" all of a sudden these additional singers appear. They sing no more than a few lines before disappearing again.