PDA

View Full Version : Unsung: Florence Ballard Airing again Tonight!

test

marv2
04-16-2012, 10:02 PM
Just a FYI, Unsung: Florence Ballard airs again tonight on TV-One.

franjoy56
04-17-2012, 01:27 AM
sorry i missed the episode, I have a copy of this, but would have liked to see it on tv again. 'AND WHEN THE MICROPHONE WAS IN HER HAND......""

nosey
04-17-2012, 08:28 AM
I saw it again and maybe it's just me but I didn't think she was a great singer. Berry made the right choice in putting Diane out front.

carlo
04-17-2012, 11:26 AM
Nosey, I think it's a matter of personal opinion. It all depends on who you ask. I personally think that Flo was a wonderful singer and that Mary and Flo should have been given more opportunities to sing lead once in a while.

cbsong
04-17-2012, 12:06 PM
Ditto Carlo, I think Mary and Florence should have had more leads on B-sides, Christmas songs,Rogers and Hart, Funny Girl, etc, . I love all the Supremes.. But when you come down to it, it was Dianes' voice that put them on the map with the pop stuff.

Shaqueetha_Jackson
04-17-2012, 12:08 PM
I cant watch this agin too sad

luke
04-17-2012, 12:23 PM
They all had great voices. Flo was a fighter ultimately-dealing with depression and alcoholism and was on her way back.

franjoy56
04-17-2012, 01:54 PM
and with Diane the primary lead singer on the hits I believe the records would have done just as well with a sprinkle or two or three with Mary and Flo on some of the lead lines like they did with "A Breath Taking Guy" and the #1 "YOu Keep Me Hangin On" where Flo comes in for that one liner.

smark21
04-17-2012, 08:14 PM
The episode is up on youtube, though whoever uploaded it just filmed the TV from a cam phone. Here’s Part 1:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IHAC51vmmI

nomis
04-17-2012, 11:04 PM
Ive just re read Peter Benjaminsons book..that lady was generous to a fault..luckily in her last months Patmon and Young got some money from Baun and she spoiled her kids that last christmas..if she had counselling for her rape her life could have been so different.. she held no grudge against with Mary or Diana it was Gordy she detested to the end..

Penny
04-18-2012, 08:06 AM
Yes, poor Florence was very ill from alcoholism. It took her life, or at least, the side effects of that deadly disease.

I don't like her solo album. Sorry.

I thought it was said here that Florence wasn't on "You Keep Me Hanging On" that the work there was primarily Diana Ross and the Andantes.

Penny:cool:

luke
04-18-2012, 09:31 AM
Florence stated she was alcoholic and was attending AA-quite something for 1976. I do believe no alcohol was found in her body or a very small amount.

nomis
04-19-2012, 12:50 AM
Luke - there was a small trace of alcohol in her bloodstream at her time of death..but not a significant amount.

carlo
04-19-2012, 10:54 AM
I thought it was said here that Florence wasn't on "You Keep Me Hanging On" that the work there was primarily Diana Ross and the Andantes.

I've never heard that. If you listen to the "Motown Story" mix of the track, you can clearly hear Flo in the background. At one point, she's so loud and clear, it almost sounds like a duet between Diana and Flo.

marv2
04-19-2012, 04:35 PM
Yes, poor Florence was very ill from alcoholism. It took her life, or at least, the side effects of that deadly disease.

I don't like her solo album. Sorry.

Penny:cool:

That's not true at all. You read it wrong someplace. Go listen to the record. It's Mary, Diane and Florence on that record.

smark21
04-19-2012, 07:37 PM
Wasn’t Diana Ross’ vocal double-tracked on some parts of “You Keep Me Hangin’ On”?

nomis
04-19-2012, 09:46 PM
Smark..I dont believe it was double tracked..and Flos definetly on it..the only Supremes 45 shes not on is "My World Is Empty"...up to "Reflections" shes on them all...her thoughts and feelings about non Supremes adding voices to their tracks was not dissmissed by Gordy..when she objected to extra voices on "The Happening" Gordy erased them - he had people like Berger in his ear telling him not to mess with the winning trio..Ive always believed if she hadnt thrown a drink in his face at 20 grand she wouldnt of been fired..when she did that her days were numbered...

detmotownguy
04-19-2012, 10:06 PM
Maybe the alcohol took the edge off the stress caused by group issues aside from the rape. Everybody liked Flo, such a genuine and talented lady. I simply cannot watch unsung. it is very nice that Mary mentions Flo during her show. I can only imagine how Mary felt the day she heard the news.

marv2
04-19-2012, 10:57 PM
Smark..I dont believe it was double tracked..and Flos definetly on it..the only Supremes 45 shes not on is "My World Is Empty"...up to "Reflections" shes on them all...her thoughts and feelings about non Supremes adding voices to their tracks was not dissmissed by Gordy..when she objected to extra voices on "The Happening" Gordy erased them - he had people like Berger in his ear telling him not to mess with the winning trio..Ive always believed if she hadnt thrown a drink in his face at 20 grand she wouldnt of been fired..when she did that her days were numbered...

Nomis, sorry but Florence Ballard is on "My World Is Empty Without You". Andy Skurow confirmed that about 3-4 years ago. I always knew she was on that record and most of the others.

marv2
04-19-2012, 10:58 PM
Ive always believed if she hadnt thrown a drink in his face at 20 grand she wouldnt of been fired..when she did that her days were numbered...

He called her FAT! What was she suppose to do? hehehehehehehehe.......

marv2
04-19-2012, 11:00 PM
Maybe the alcohol took the edge off the stress caused by group issues aside from the rape. Everybody liked Flo, such a genuine and talented lady. I simply cannot watch unsung. it is very nice that Mary mentions Flo during her show. I can only imagine how Mary felt the day she heard the news.

I know how I/We felt when we heard, so I can imagine Mary going into deep shock once she got the call.

nomis
04-19-2012, 11:09 PM
Thanks for the correction Marv...

marv2
04-19-2012, 11:32 PM
Thanks for the correction Marv...

Anytime. I just want us to have as much accurate information as possible.

nomis
04-19-2012, 11:35 PM
totally Marv...your posts was one of the things I missed most about SDF..cheers..

dvus7
05-05-2012, 11:17 AM
He called her FAT! What was she suppose to do? hehehehehehehehe.......

They "both" were under the influence!!!!!! One just had more power than the other!!!!

ejluther
05-05-2012, 11:51 AM
I dont believe it was double tracked.
You can absolutely hear Diana doubletracked on the song - especially near the end of the verse lines where her vocals aren't quite in sync, making an effective and distinctive sound...

marv2
05-05-2012, 12:04 PM
You can absolutely hear Diana doubletracked on the song - especially near the end of the verse lines where her vocals aren't quite in sync, making an effective and distinctive sound...

I also hear Florence Ballard right in there powering the mix.....! She was excellent in my opinion.