PDA

View Full Version : Why do classic MOTOWN albums command such high prices?

test

Kamasu_Jr
04-16-2012, 12:09 PM
I was searching for some classic Motown albums on CD and was amazed at some of the high prices some of these discs are getting. Is this because it's Motown or because so few were pressed or because Motown fans tend to pay high prices to get the titles they want?

R. Mark Desjardins
04-16-2012, 12:43 PM
If you want to get "sticker shock" check out the asking prices for Marvin Gaye's "When I'm Alone I Cry" vinyl record that are currently listed on eBay. Even the out of print CD version that of title that was briefly available, trades for around $35! Most likely these outrageous asking prices are due in large part to the relatively few copies that were pressed and subsequently taken good care of over the decades. Since the Tamla/Motown catalogue has gone through many owners during the past twenty years, some subsequent companies may not have felt it was necessary to re-release some titles on CD, which have since gone through the roof price wise. Plus, lots of private sellers know that Motown music collectors need their fix, and will charge accordingly. Some jazz titles are insanely priced as well and amazing as it may seem, out of print CD's can go in the hundreds of dollars too!
To quote the Miracles, "Shop Around." As a pal also pointed out to me, NO commercially released record is one of a kind. They were all massed produced!

soulster
04-16-2012, 01:18 PM
Availability and demand dictate two main reasons why some titles are high-priced. Add to that artist royalties. Second-hand sellers are going to get whatever they can. It's a seller's market.

I'm glad I bought that four-album Marvin Gaye box when it came out in the mid-90s.

gordy_hunk
04-16-2012, 01:51 PM
Well, you need to 'shop around'. I'm selling almost all of my Motown [[vinyl and CD), and even when it's offered [[vinyl) at £1.99, there's absolutely no interest [[on ebay) despite it being in a brilliant condition [[frequently only having been played once).

CD fare no better - generally.

Lots of bargains to be found - and I for one, will be listing many more on ebay in the next few months, at acceptable prices [[nothing like 35 dollars - was that Australian or Canadian dollars?)

1382hitsville
04-16-2012, 01:52 PM
I never understood why a mass product could get highly priced. Especially with all the tools available to copy and distribute them.

timmyfunk
04-16-2012, 01:57 PM
I did get a nice price for the previously unreleased David Ruffin that Hip-O-Select released a couple of years ago. That also begs the question as to why this record isn't back in the record stores. Every copy that was pressed was sold out. When Eddie Hazel's Game Dames...album sold out, they immediately put the record back in print.

timmyfunk
04-16-2012, 01:59 PM
I never understood why a mass product could get highly priced. Especially with all the tools available to copy and distribute them.

I guess it's because even though many of the Motown albums were more than decent sellers, the label was still an independent company. Most album released by indie labels become very rare after their initial run.

R. Mark Desjardins
04-16-2012, 02:51 PM
Note to gordy_hunk. You've made an interesting point about selling vinyl on eBay, but I think the answer lies in American eBay buyers possibly being very wary of purchasing records outside the U.S. I only state this because I recently was the only bidder on two autographed Marvelettes vinyl records from Britain. I've have made other purchases of very hard to find vinyl which goes for very high prices in the U.S., but the same item [[ie US pressing) being listed and won for much cheaper in the U.K. In my experience, some U.S. eBay sellers don't want to ship to Canada. Also, I have never had an music item from the U.K. or Europe lost in the mail and I am sometimes very surprised at how quickly and cheaply the item is sent! Go figure.

theboyfromxtown
04-16-2012, 04:25 PM
I did get a nice price for the previously unreleased David Ruffin that Hip-O-Select released a couple of years ago. That also begs the question as to why this record isn't back in the record stores. Every copy that was pressed was sold out. When Eddie Hazel's Game Dames...album sold out, they immediately put the record back in print.

If I remember correctly, the David Ruffin set was released in the days when Hip-O were sequentially numbering each cd and charging at the top end of the market on the basis of a limited print run.

mysterysinger
04-16-2012, 05:58 PM
The Supremes at the Copa CD commands very high prices on EBay. Given that an expanded version is due for release could it be expected that the original CD will come down in price? I'm note sure that it generally follows that this is the case - there is still great demand for the original issues. More likely some folks will buy multiple copies of the expanded Copa in the hope of making a killing later.

soulster
04-16-2012, 06:19 PM

Many people want the original, and don't want pirated copies. People like tangible products.

I also suspect that most people who like the titles already have them.

Ngroove
04-16-2012, 08:19 PM
Some of my actual Motown albums on vinyl:

Supremes – Where Did Our Love Go – I believe I paid only $2 for it.
Supremes – I Hear A Symphony & A’ Go-Go – $1.49 each
Diana Ross Join the Temptations & the Supremes - $2.99
Supremes – Touch – I Really don’t remember, but there’s a sticker still on it, “$2.99”.
High Inergy - Steppin' Out - $2.99
Rick James Stone City Band - Come Get It! - $1
Lionel Richie - Can't Slow Down - $1

Motown4Ever518
04-16-2012, 08:50 PM
Patience, patience, patience. I have/had to have every Lamont Dozier CD and checked everyday the usual reseller suspects. Bittersweet was going for $40.00 and up for three years, I finally found a copy for $15.00, I scooped it up. I love me some Lamont Dozier, but there is no way that CD is worth $40.00. So the question I ask myself at the point of purchase is; 'Am I seeking an item as a collector, or as a fan of the album, or is it both?" The answer determines how much I will pay for an item. I love the music and in my mind it is to be enjoyed, this is why, when the Miracles CD with the first 4-5 albums came out, the individual CDs that I had were taken out of the cases, and put into a case that is in my car. Looking at what say, Cooking With The Miracles is going for is of no interest to me. Again it is all about the music.

soulster
04-16-2012, 09:05 PM
I love the music and in my mind it is to be enjoyed, this is why, when the Miracles CD with the first 4-5 albums came out, the individual CDs that I had were taken out of the cases, and put into a case that is in my car. Looking at what say, Cooking With The Miracles is going for is of no interest to me. Again it is all about the music.

Are you kidding??? When I want to listen to something in the car, I make a copy of it on CD-R. I couldn't stand it if something happened to my music!