PDA

View Full Version : Gladys Horton & Marvelettes still Queens of the Broken Hearts

test

franjoy56
04-15-2012, 10:18 PM
This new Forever MOre The Complete Motown Albums on the Marvelettes from 1967 through 1970 is nothing short of fabulous. The bonus are the 27 tracks considered lost and found on disc 4. Gladys Horton rocks and her sad song and love lost theory employed in these songs shows once again that Motown was hiding the Marvelettes best stuff that was left off the Postman, Playboy Marvelous & Sophisticated Soul albums shamelessly, if you haven't heard "Queen of the Fools" an ensemble song with the Marvelettes singing in unison throughout with Gladys coming in for one verse, other great tracks areThree Months, You Better Behave, and Johnny Do Right. Wanda and Anne also have some unreleased tracks here, this is one of the best Marvelettes packages i have ever purchased, and Gladys your memory will be forever cherished in these songs. The three Wanda led albums sound clear and crisp as well and great to have on CD at last I have to give the Andantes credit for the work they did on those Wanda led albums inspite of the fact that Cat and Anne were not asked to sing on that last album. The real treat is the spoken monologue Gladys does on When Your Young and in Love, we won't even ask why this version was not released. Gladys you rock.

Jimi LaLumia
04-15-2012, 11:03 PM
everyone better get this before it's gone...and you have to pay $500.00 on e bay..

kenneth
04-15-2012, 11:23 PM
The real treat is the spoken monologue Gladys does on When Your Young and in Love, we won't even ask why this version was not released. Gladys you rock.

Totally agree with all you say, except it was Wanda on "Young and in Love." She does sound more like Gladys on this cut, than on her other numbers from the "Pink Album."

daviddesper
04-16-2012, 12:21 AM
As much as I have learned from this forum, I still have trouble distinguishing Gladys from Wanda on some tracks, which is a tribute to both of them.

And speaking of the girls, you would never guess what happened to me yesterday. I was having lunch in a small-town restaurant and in each booth there was one of those boxes on the wall where you could choose juke box selections. So I put in my quarter [[and I am old enough to remember when jukebox selections cost a nickel!) and chose "Don't Mess With Bill." Of course I had heard it 5,000 times over the years, which is probably not an exaggeration, but I wanted the rest of the diners to have a great listening experience as well.

But you would believe that for some reason the version that was played was the Motor City remake version instead of the original??????? And let's face it, there is no comparison. I was shocked that any of that material would have found its way on to an American jukebox and especially that it would still be there.

kenneth
04-16-2012, 12:44 AM
But you would believe that for some reason the version that was played was the Motor City remake version instead of the original??????? And let's face it, there is no comparison. I was shocked that any of that material would have found its way on to an American jukebox and especially that it would still be there.

What a disappointment that must have been. But you know, one of the available Marvelettes CDs pictures the original group but contains some of those Motor City recordings. Someone posted it here a while ago. That's a real fraud.

At least those where you were still got to hear Wanda, although not in her prime certainly, the song was still hers and not appropriated by some impostor.

franjoy56
04-17-2012, 01:33 AM
MAYbe you did not purchase this CD four cd set i have the original Pink album I am aware that it is Wanda on Young and in LOve, I ran the Fan Club, but if you have the new CD there is a new extended track and Gladys does the spoken monologue and then Wanda comes in . this is the track that was cut in favor of the single you hear, Gladys spoken monologue was cut out of the single go figure.

franjoy56
04-17-2012, 01:47 AM
I cannot post the extended song for copyright reasons but here is the new spoken monologue
that you can hear on Amazon.com if you check the cd on that cite: GH "I feel so good i'm so excited i feel so excited i feel so wonderful, I feel like well to me it seems to be: Wanda "spring in the air" it doesn't matter that the Andantes cover at least two Marvelettes cover the forefront.

motony
04-17-2012, 02:20 PM
The Andantes are doing the oohs & aahs thats Gladys, Kat & Wanda singing the words.

ivyfield
04-17-2012, 04:34 PM
As much as I have learned from this forum, I still have trouble distinguishing Gladys from Wanda on some tracks, which is a tribute to both of them.

And speaking of the girls, you would never guess what happened to me yesterday. I was having lunch in a small-town restaurant and in each booth there was one of those boxes on the wall where you could choose juke box selections. So I put in my quarter [[and I am old enough to remember when jukebox selections cost a nickel!) and chose "Don't Mess With Bill." Of course I had heard it 5,000 times over the years, which is probably not an exaggeration, but I wanted the rest of the diners to have a great listening experience as well.

OMG! I would have vomited and asked for a full refund!

franjoy56
04-17-2012, 10:23 PM
Its great to know that Gladys, Wanda, & Cat are doing the singing words, for "When your young and in Love" it seems the Andantes didn't do anything other than ooohs and aaaaahs, because that was the kind of group they were mostly choral effect. But on this track wyyail from the CD Forever More on Disc 4 track 26, there is the spoken word monologue by Gladys alone before Wanda comes in. This is a great track, and so is Three Months, & Queen of the Fools, Johnny Do Right, You can bet your bottom dollar. These tracks are the best Marvelettes stuff the vaults have produced in a long while, The Marvelettes vocals pre 65 were teeny boop, very dancey at the hop and lots of fun, and they sang in unison quite frequently on many of these tracks, I am totally pleased, and Gladys Horton has gotten a great send off,, kudos to Wanda, on the later albums, and not to forget Cat, Juanita, & Georgeana and Anne.

copley
04-25-2012, 07:42 PM
Wanda speaks the intro before she starts to sing, not Gladys.

johnjeb
04-25-2012, 08:44 PM
Wanda speaks the intro before she starts to sing, not Gladys.

I agree that it is Wanda doing the spoken intro on "Young And In Love".

I am totally enjoying this collection. The pink album and Sophisticated Soul are two of my favorite Motown albums. In Full Bloom is also a favorite but not ranked as high as the previous two albums. I'm still having difficulty appreciating Return. Some good songs but overall nothing special for me.

The Lost & Found Disc is damn good. In addition to the songs that franjoy56 mentions, I like both Gladys' and Wanda's summertime songs and both of Anne's songs. Usually I play my favorites but I regularly enjoy listening to the disc in it's entirety.

franjoy56
04-25-2012, 10:31 PM
I don't believe that is Wanda it sounds a lot like Gladys I know her spoken voice
she called me several times back in the early 2000's so I will ask Catherine this weekend when I call her.

copley
04-26-2012, 05:14 AM
It's Wanda, see my other post :)

franjoy56
05-01-2012, 10:04 PM
i don't need to see your post, i am listening to what my ears tell me unless they are full of wax. Furthermore, Catherine of the Marvelettes said she believes that is Gladys' voice, but I played the track over the telephone twice, for her, so i will check with her again after she plays her version. Too bad we can't find someone who was in the studio when the track was recorded in Oct of 1966, but Catherine should know she was n original Marvelette who was or was not there that day and knows both lead singers by voice.

copley
05-02-2012, 07:05 AM
Fransjoy, we will have to agree to differ on this one. Even if Kat said that it was Gladys I'd disagree as I hear only Wanda :)

franjoy56
05-06-2012, 10:20 PM
I hear you, agreeing to disagree is what makes for healthy differing of opinions.