PDA

View Full Version : Supremes on tcm

test

Kamasu_Jr
04-14-2012, 08:27 AM
FYI: The Supremes will appear on Turner Classic Movies. the classic movie chanel will air the rarely seen film Beach Ball from 1965 on Wednesday at 9:30 p.m. or check your local cable listings. The Supremes perform two songs in the little seen film. On Thursday, TCM will air The Happening featuring The Supremes singing the title theme; Then on Friday, TCM will air Dr. Goldfoot & the Bikini Machine in which the Supremes are heard performing the title theme.

RossHolloway
04-14-2012, 09:01 AM
Wow, very interesting. I will have to check out those movies

milven
04-14-2012, 09:57 AM
Sounds like more than a co-incidence that they are running these all at the same time. Is it part of some kind of Supremes' theme that TCM is celebrating? And if so, what?

Kamasu_Jr
04-14-2012, 12:16 PM
Sounds like more than a co-incidence that they are running these all at the same time. Is it part of some kind of Supremes' theme that TCM is celebrating? And if so, what?

I'm thinking it has to do with the traditional college Spring Break when millions of kids head to sunny or beach locales.

marv2
04-14-2012, 12:26 PM
It's funny, they use to show "Beach Ball" on the late show and Sat. afternoon movie shows in Detroit all the time! LOL!

R. Mark Desjardins
04-14-2012, 02:07 PM
4751Beach Ball is a turkey of a movie, but the footage of the Supremes singing Beach Ball and My Surfer Boy is pure over the top pop fun! Check out Diana's wig. It resembles a huge surf wave. Back in the day, I wished I was the surfer boy she was singing about!

Kamasu_Jr
04-15-2012, 01:52 AM
I've not seen Beach Ball on an official DVD.

R. Mark Desjardins
04-15-2012, 12:59 PM
Beach Ball has never been officially released on either VHS or DVD. I believe that there is a bootleg site around that sells a pirated copy, that most likely was taped from television, so the reproduction isn't great.

In the film, The Supremes appear at a Car Show performing "Beach Ball" and "My Surfer Boy." They are in top form vocally, but their segment is annoyingly cut into with action and dialogue with silly antics from the floor of the car show. This is even worse than the "Go Go" dancers who move between The Supremes as they perform on "The T.A.M.I. Show," as it would have been super to see the women perform at least one song all the way through.

As far as I know, this film has only been shown on television twice before, and the one time I got wind of it before the broadcast date, I asked a pal to tape it for me. I didn't think to ask at the time, but he had a Betamax recorder, so that gives you an idea of how long ago that was! Needless to say, that tape was useless to me. LOL!

kenneth
04-15-2012, 01:09 PM
I'm thinking it has to do with the traditional college Spring Break when millions of kids head to sunny or beach locales.

That is indeed the case...

http://www.tcm.com/this-month/

marv2
04-15-2012, 02:53 PM
Beach Ball has never been officially released on either VHS or DVD. I believe that there is a bootleg site around that sells a pirated copy, that most likely was taped from television, so the reproduction isn't great.

In the film, The Supremes appear at a Car Show performing "Beach Ball" and "My Surfer Boy." They are in top form vocally, but their segment is annoyingly cut into with action and dialogue with silly antics from the floor of the car show. This is even worse than the "Go Go" dancers who move between The Supremes as they perform on "The T.A.M.I. Show," as it would have been super to see the women perform at least one song all the way through.

As far as I know, this film has only been shown on television twice before, and the one time I got wind of it before the broadcast date, I asked a pal to tape it for me. I didn't think to ask at the time, but he had a Betamax recorder, so that gives you an idea of how long ago that was! Needless to say, that tape was useless to me. LOL!

Nope, It got shown quite a few times on WJBK Channel 2 Detroit. It was shown routinely with a bunch of other old movies on the late show and on Sat Afternoon at the Movies. Channel 24, WDHO in Toledo showed it pretty regularly too. It was shown mostly in the 70's before cable television was available in those areas.

RossHolloway
04-15-2012, 06:30 PM
Wasn't Stevie Wonder also in a couple of beach movies as well?

Kamasu_Jr
04-15-2012, 07:24 PM
Wasn't Stevie Wonder also in a couple of beach movies as well?

Stevie Wonder was one of the first Motown artists to appear in films; Marv Johnson was another. Stevie was in Muscle Beach Party.

R. Mark Desjardins
04-15-2012, 09:41 PM
I have the feeling that "California Dreaming" was on the mind of many of the Detroit Tamla Motown family when those wicked winter winds blew long and hard. Stevie Wonder recorded an album entitled "Stevie At the Beach, " plus countless of his record stable mates recorded songs with "California" in the title. One of my favorites is Marvin Gaye's "I've Got To Get To California" on his MPG album. 4753

RossHolloway
04-16-2012, 10:39 AM
I love the song Happy Street from that album.

theboyfromxtown
04-16-2012, 04:30 PM
If I remember correctly, the version of "Happy Street" in the film is not the same as the US 45 but it's such a long time since I heard both versions, I cant remember what is different.

R. Mark Desjardins
04-16-2012, 04:39 PM
I found yet another still from The Supremes appearance in Beach Ball. Check out the band backing them.4755

randy_russi
04-17-2012, 09:40 AM
Stevie Wonder first appeared in Muscle Beach Party and then Bikini Beach. I believe he performed Happy Street in
Bikini Beach and I don't remember the song from Muscle Beach, but the movie theatre we saw Muscle Beach at
in Hollywood, FL was just like seeing Stevie "live" as the entire theatre clapped along to his performance.
That movie Frankie Avalon came as the guest star in person. Prior to it, Beach Party, the first of the beach movies,
brought Annette Funicello in person.
Those movies were fun, but they began to get very silly. The movie Beach Ball is terrible. It's only worth the
performance of the Supremes. Anyone know of the back up band, the Sinners? Were they a real band or just
put together for the movie?

Roger Polhill
04-17-2012, 05:23 PM
The Stevie song in "Bikini Beach" is "Happy Feeling"

luke
04-17-2012, 08:27 PM
Come on now randy-we're talkin Ed Byrnes and Chris Noel!!

R. Mark Desjardins
04-21-2012, 02:11 PM
After catching many of the "Beach" and "Ski" themed teen films on TCM this past week, I admit they are less than art films for sure. However, at the time, where else could a 14 year old in Canada, or in some small US town see The Supremes. Little Stevie Wonder, James Brown, The Animals, Astrud Gilberto, and even Jimmy Smith [[the jazz organist!) performing on the big screen.

Stevie Wonder's big screen second appearance in Bikini Beach sizzles. During the entire closing credits he plays several instruments including drums and bongos. Totally amazing! Thankfully these captured moments of those wonderful performing artists in their prime were captured on film and will be viewed and treasured for the ages.