PDA

View Full Version : Cindy at the Hippodrome. Here's what really happened...

test

ivyfield
04-11-2012, 12:35 PM
[QUOTE=marybrewster;103567]When I saw this video of Cindy's lead on the Supremes hits circulate about 10 years ago, I thought her vocals sucked. Watching this again only confirms what I saw a decade ago. That's not to say I didn't enjoy the rest of the video or that Cindy doesn't have a good voice; she certainly could have done some leads with the Supremes after Diana left. Her medley just fell flat with me. If anything, she should have done some 70's hits; "Ladder", "Stoned" and "Nathan". Besides, didn't those chart higher in the UK than "Baby Love", "Stop!" and "Hanging"? And I agree with above; Cindy has a great personality and stage persona. It's too bad she didn't stick with it; she could have very well "hit" with the right material. And how great that Diana showed up to support her Supreme sister.

MaryBrewster, I'm responsible for this clip. I recorded it on my Sony Video8 camcorder. Truthfully, the show started okay but then Cindy got nervous and introduced Diana much to early in the show. As you can tell by the camera angle, Diana and Arné were sitting in the restaurant about 10 metres away from me. I could easily see the two of them trying to eat but they were both getting frustrated at the attention they were getting - especially when Cindy started her show. When Cindy announced that Diana was in the building the audience turned their backs on her and literally scrambled to get a look at Diana. It was an opportunity completely thrown away. I fully understand why though, after all, Cindy had never been centre-stage for anything before and the 'fight/flight' response just kicked in. Cindy was upset after the show because she knew what she's done. Paul Delapenha and I went to her dressing room and Mr & Mrs Naess were saying their goodbyes. Cindy didn't know that I'd recorded the performance. The next night I picked her up from her apartment and took her to Paul Delapenha's for dinner. She was still nervous about last night's show. We ate, drank wine, talked about The Supremes [[as much as Paul and I could without driving her batty) and chilled out. I told her that I'd video-ed the show and she was eager to view it. We sat and watched it together. Cindy wasn't happy with her performance. She knew that she'd used the 'Diana' card much too early. She is such a lovely lady.. Gracious, honest, real - not at all doused in the 'showbiz' cloak that so many artists are. Cindy was then/still is a very vulnerable lady. One of the greatest memories I have from that night was when Paul Delapenha and I collected Cindy from her Bayswater apartment [[which was very plush - paid for by Hi-Hat Records) and almost as soon as she got into my car she said 'I'm feeling really good - I've been writing some songs today' so Paul and I said [[almost in unison) can we hear them?!! She said 'Sure' and proceeded to sing her heart out in my car while I drove her from Bayswater to Brixton where Paul lived. I distinctly remember looking at Paul in my rear mirror while I was driving and both of us sharing the 'OMG moment' over and over. I kept smiling thinking 'I'm driving Cindy Birdsong in MY car and SHE'S SINGING!!!' That is a great memory... We repeated it a few nights later when we took Cindy to see SHARON DAVIS at her apartment in London. I still have the negatives from this - where they are is another story because I've moved house three times since then.

Roberta75
04-11-2012, 01:03 PM
[QUOTE=marybrewster;103567]When I saw this video of Cindy's lead on the Supremes hits circulate about 10 years ago, I thought her vocals sucked. Watching this again only confirms what I saw a decade ago. That's not to say I didn't enjoy the rest of the video or that Cindy doesn't have a good voice; she certainly could have done some leads with the Supremes after Diana left. Her medley just fell flat with me. If anything, she should have done some 70's hits; "Ladder", "Stoned" and "Nathan". Besides, didn't those chart higher in the UK than "Baby Love", "Stop!" and "Hanging"? And I agree with above; Cindy has a great personality and stage persona. It's too bad she didn't stick with it; she could have very well "hit" with the right material. And how great that Diana showed up to support her Supreme sister.

MaryBrewster, I'm responsible for this clip. I recorded it on my Sony Video8 camcorder. Truthfully, the show started okay but then Cindy got nervous and introduced Diana much to early in the show. As you can tell by the camera angle, Diana and Arné were sitting in the restaurant about 10 metres away from me. I could easily see the two of them trying to eat but they were both getting frustrated at the attention they were getting - especially when Cindy started her show. When Cindy announced that Diana was in the building the audience turned their backs on her and literally scrambled to get a look at Diana. It was an opportunity completely thrown away. I fully understand why though, after all, Cindy had never been centre-stage for anything before and the 'fight/flight' response just kicked in. Cindy was upset after the show because she knew what she's done. Paul Delapenha and I went to her dressing room and Mr & Mrs Naess were saying their goodbyes. Cindy didn't know that I'd recorded the performance. The next night I picked her up from her apartment and took her to Paul Delapenha's for dinner. She was still nervous about last night's show. We ate, drank wine, talked about The Supremes [[as much as Paul and I could without driving her batty) and chilled out. I told her that I'd video-ed the show and she was eager to view it. We sat and watched it together. Cindy wasn't happy with her performance. She knew that she'd used the 'Diana' card much too early. She is such a lovely lady.. Gracious, honest, real - not at all doused in the 'showbiz' cloak that so many artists are. Cindy was then/still is a very vulnerable lady. One of the greatest memories I have from that night was when Paul Delapenha and I collected Cindy from her Bayswater apartment [[which was very plush - paid for by Hi-Hat Records) and almost as soon as she got into my car she said 'I'm feeling really good - I've been writing some songs today' so Paul and I said [[almost in unison) can we hear them?!! She said 'Sure' and proceeded to sing her heart out in my car while I drove her from Bayswater to Brixton where Paul lived. I distinctly remember looking at Paul in my rear mirror while I was driving and both of us sharing the 'OMG moment' over and over. I kept smiling thinking 'I'm driving Cindy Birdsong in MY car and SHE'S SINGING!!!' That is a great memory... We repeated it a few nights later when we took Cindy to see SHARON DAVIS at her apartment in London. I still have the negatives from this - where they are is another story because I've moved house three times since then.

What a great story ivyfield. Thank you for sharing it with us.

Best to you,

Roberta

1382hitsville
04-11-2012, 01:28 PM
Fantastic story, thanks for sharing.

rod_rick
04-11-2012, 03:14 PM
[QUOTE=ivyfield;104478]

What a great story ivyfield. Thank you for sharing it with us.

Best to you,

Roberta

Yes great story and now the performance make more sense to me. Because CIndy was nervous, she went into her safe voice, can she can belt when she want to. I thought she did very well on the Supreme medly, everyone has their own opinion. I would love to hear what she sound like doing Dancing Room live. Thanks again for the story.

jobeterob
04-12-2012, 01:06 AM
Good story Ivy.

I can understand Cindy's anxiety too; if she had continued to perform, it would have eased.

To constantly live with that Diana shadow would become so tedious, which is partly why she is so criticized; I think even her children can get tired of the constant glare of publicity.

I watched those other recent clips people have posted from the Grammys and restaurants and I wonder after 50 years of that chasing around she gets hounded by ~ I wonder how tired she gets of it all? Or if it remains addictive and something they always still want.

Penny
04-12-2012, 05:50 PM
Fame is a drug. Once you have had some it is hard to go without it. The Motown stable was taught to be gracious with their fans. It has served them all well except for the ones who died.

Penny:D

marybrewster
04-13-2012, 05:55 PM
Ivyfield;

Thank so you much for sharing your wonderful story. Cindy Birdsong, to me, is the most dear-hearted of all the Supremes. I can't ever say I have heard a negative story about her. It shows what class this woman possesses.

Please don't take my comment as her performance "sucked" as anything but an opinion. As I mentioned, she sounded wonderful on pretty much everything else, but this medley fell flat with me. I wonder if Cindy might have more success if she would have taken Mary's route from HER solo debut; singing just the "background" parts of the hits. Mary's audience seemed to eat that up; I'm sure they would have if Cindy would have done that too.

I still think it's wonderful that Diana showed up to support her supreme "sister". Shows how much love is between these ladies.

Thanks again for capturing this moment in time. Did you ever imagine we'd be talking about it decades later? :) And for the record, I saw this clip for the first time about 10 or so years ago; it was on a VHS tape that also included some Supremes wig commercials. :)

ivyfield
04-14-2012, 09:56 AM
Marybrewster... The only problem was that she was EXTREMELY nervous. She couldn't help it. That's why I never posted the footage to YouTube but hey, what I sent out [[through the fan club) to the fans back in the 80's has now become available worldwide. Nothing I can do about it now.