PDA

View Full Version : Okay forum members, please read this and think about it.

test

ralpht
04-09-2012, 12:16 PM
Yesterday was Easter Sunday. I can't even spend a holiday with my family without coming home to some sort of stupid problem, generally related to the Supremes, Diana[[Diane) Ross, Mary Wilson or some other related to this category. In come all the complaining emails about some thing or some one that I need to try and smooth over along with the usual tripe that SD isn't what it once was etc etc.

So.....here is my solution:
All it will take is just One[[1) of these threads to go south and I will delete the entire menu of threads that relate to these artists and ban everyone that contributed to it's demise. Don't believe me? Try me! I am sick of it.

jsmith
04-09-2012, 12:22 PM
......... Go for it Ralph
I don't even know why you allow threads on DR&S anymore ...........
mind you, who's singing lead on this ?????????
.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3EMrpxTM-w

Kamasu_Jr
04-09-2012, 12:23 PM
Yesterday was Easter Sunday. I can't even spend a holiday with my family without coming home to some sort of stupid problem, generally related to the Supremes, Diana[[Diane) Ross, Mary Wilson or some other related to this category. In come all the complaining emails about some thing or some one that I need to try and smooth over along with the usual tripe that SD isn't what it once was etc etc.

All it will take is just One[[1) of these threads to go south and I will delete the entire menu of threads that relate to these artists and ban everyone that contributed to it's demise. Don't believe me? Try me! I am sick of it.

Since Easter was a holiday, I wasn't on the forum yesterday. So I did enjoy the day with my family. Frankly, I've stopped reading and contributing to the Supremes threads. There's too much discussion about this one group in my opinion and a lot of it are things that have been fought over and debated to death on this forum. Personally, I don't want to discuss the damned Supremes all of the time. However, I'm interested in seeing what happens and just who will be banned.

ralpht
04-09-2012, 12:33 PM
Thanks for the immediate support, guys. Much appreciated.

motownmorph1
04-09-2012, 01:43 PM
I am with you on this Ralph & support your position on the matter. I think a lot of people on here are fed up with all the Diana Ross & The Supremes threads & all the agro that goes with them, there is no need for it & I just dont get it!

Morph

ralpht
04-09-2012, 01:55 PM
I don't get it either, Motown. Never have and never will. All this angst over a group whose eventual demise began more than forty years ago. They are not coming back. That is probably pretty much fact, so get over it and move on. Perhaps I could suggest that they support those of us that are trying to bring new music to the fore, and gamble a good deal of money to do just that.

reese
04-09-2012, 02:03 PM
My two cents.

I don't think there's anything wrong with having many Diana/Supremes threads. There are threads that don't interest me, and I just don't go into them. I would think others can do the same.

That said, I do agree that the Diana/Supremes threads bring out the worst in some people. And there are some threads that you can tell are going to go South just from the first posting. I'd be very much in favor of banning the people responsible.

ralpht
04-09-2012, 02:08 PM
Part of my plan, Reese. the shame of it is the way those threads go south, maybe depriving someone of some information they would have appreciated. Damn shame.

carlo
04-09-2012, 02:29 PM
I feel that I am partly to blame for the discussion that transpired and degenerated over the weekend. The post I had made was written with the intention of calling out a specific individual who has made disrespectful and baiting comments time and time again. This person has personally attacked me on this forum on a couple of occasions and it was never addressed. As a result, when I feel like someone is being disrespectful or intentionally stirring the pot, I try to address it directly if nothing is being done about it. It was wrong of me to do that. With that said, it is unfortunate that the forum has become the negative environment that it is, all due to a select group of individuals who are not being dealt with.

ralpht
04-09-2012, 02:31 PM
Hey, Carlo. you have nothing to apologize for. You have always been a valued member here.

carlo
04-09-2012, 02:41 PM
Thank you.

soulster
04-09-2012, 02:51 PM
Do it! I'm with you on this 100%! I'm at the point where I avoid DRATS music because of all the obsession about them here.

ralpht
04-09-2012, 04:14 PM
You've got it Soul. I seem to be getting a uniform consensus for my plan. That's good.

theboyfromxtown
04-09-2012, 04:17 PM
You have my support too Ralph.

ralpht
04-09-2012, 04:29 PM
You have always been in my corner old friend, and I have always appreciated your complete support.

Roberta75
04-09-2012, 04:35 PM

I was in church most of yesterday, followed by a lovely Easter dinner with friends, so I missed whatever went down.

Ralph, I am shocked that people were fighting over Supremes on one of the holiest days of the year.

It's really a shame.

Fondly,

Roberta

ralpht
04-09-2012, 04:37 PM
Roberta,
It could be the last day of the existence of this planet and those types would pick a fight over the Supremes. And yes, it is a shame.

timmyfunk
04-09-2012, 04:52 PM
Jeez. I'm glad I'm not that big of a fan. Does it really get that hardcore on the Diana Ross/Supremes threads? I mean...c'mon. It's the Supremes. I can see if we were talking about some offensive punk rock band. I mean....it's the Supremes!!!!

Shaqueetha_Jackson
04-09-2012, 04:56 PM
Is this why florence bLonde Ballard ain't talke abiout much here

ralpht
04-09-2012, 05:06 PM
Your guess is as good as ours, Shaqeetha. By the way, welcome to the forum.

mellow_q
04-09-2012, 05:06 PM
Okay Ralph, it's really sad that people don't have enough of a life to stay away from this on Easter; much less bother you with this BS. As I write this, I'm having a serious summer 2006 flashback when you were unable to enjoy your wedding day because of some SDF BS.

I support you 100%.

Marc T.

ralpht
04-09-2012, 06:41 PM
Thanks Marc,
Yeah, there will always be that crappy memory when Jesse and I celebrate our wedding anniversary.

vcq
04-09-2012, 06:53 PM
Hear, hear! I, for one, am THOROUGHLY sick of opening a page on the Motown thread only to see that the top 20 posts are all related to the Supremes in some way. If the keyword "Supremes" isn't in the title itself, then certain posters hijack them to make some tenuous connection to the Supremes, prior / potential members thereof, various outfits worn by, etc.

Seriously, it's about time for the Supremes groupies to start your own forum elsewhere [[or create a Supremes-only thread on SDF, with the promise of limiting Supremes-related posts to that thread only). It's the Soulful *Detroit* Forum, not the Soulful Supremes forum.Yes, the Supremes were an important Motown act, but so were dozens of other Detroit artists, writers, musicians, etc. Let's give all these important artists their due in a respectful manner.

Too many longtime regulars have apparently left SDF after feeling alienated by the sheer number of Supremes threads, flaming, and bickering. There used to be a lot of SDF posters with Motown / studio connections, but the diva worshippers and infighting seem to have scared many of them off. Those of us that have stuck around strictly for our love of Motown and soul music seem to be fewer in number by the day, which is truly unfortunate given that there are so few places to connect and share our love for this magical music, SDF being one of the rare bright spots.

luke
04-09-2012, 06:59 PM
I totally support you Ralph!

blueskies
04-09-2012, 07:10 PM
If I never read another Supremes thread again, that'd be OK. I always liked the Supremes, but all this negative crap has really turned me off. Flip the switch, Ralph!

ralpht
04-09-2012, 07:43 PM
Looks like I'm batting 1000 on this one. Thank you all for the support.

imnokid
04-09-2012, 07:50 PM
The Supremes. Enough already. Do your thing Ralph.

ralpht
04-09-2012, 08:00 PM
Kid, I'm extremely encouraged. Dusting off the old trigger finger. Best to Bettye.

soulster
04-09-2012, 08:07 PM
Hear, hear! I, for one, am THOROUGHLY sick of opening a page on the Motown thread only to see that the top 20 posts are all related to the Supremes in some way. If the keyword "Supremes" isn't in the title itself, then certain posters hijack them to make some tenuous connection to the Supremes, prior / potential members thereof, various outfits worn by, etc.

Seriously, it's about time for the Supremes groupies to start your own forum elsewhere [[or create a Supremes-only thread on SDF, with the promise of limiting Supremes-related posts to that thread only). It's the Soulful *Detroit* Forum, not the Soulful Supremes forum.Yes, the Supremes were an important Motown act, but so were dozens of other Detroit artists, writers, musicians, etc. Let's give all these important artists their due in a respectful manner.

Too many longtime regulars have apparently left SDF after feeling alienated by the sheer number of Supremes threads, flaming, and bickering. There used to be a lot of SDF posters with Motown / studio connections, but the diva worshippers and infighting seem to have scared many of them off. Those of us that have stuck around strictly for our love of Motown and soul music seem to be fewer in number by the day, which is truly unfortunate given that there are so few places to connect and share our love for this magical music, SDF being one of the rare bright spots.

I understand all these Supremes fans all came from another forum that got shut down because of all the flame wars, and they all came over here. These guys need to find a new place. I'm sure one of them must have enough money to create their very own fan site.

luke
04-09-2012, 08:20 PM
LOL trigger finger. Very smart idea Mr Ralph!

ralpht
04-09-2012, 08:34 PM
You would think they would want their own forum, Soul. I think it goes a little deeper though and it has something to do with the individual personalities feeling the need to stir up problems. Rather sick, but I'm not going to put up with it here.

Luke,
You liked that one. Stay tuned to see if I need to limber it up.

luke
04-09-2012, 08:57 PM
Who will be the brave soul to start the next Supremes thread?

paladin
04-09-2012, 09:16 PM
Doesn't effect me in the least RT, if they gotta go, they gotta go. I'm never in those threads anyway although I am a big Supreme fan, its just not worth the headache. I was never big on their gowns, wigs, routines or personal-interpersonal issues, just the music, which is not enough for some folks. Now don't get me wrong they were some dam good looking women and they were talented as all get out, a wonderful part of my youth, but you'd never catch me talking about them on this site. For some reason, folk just like to clown when it comes to the Supremes. Did I ever tell you that I adore Jean Terrell.........ooops...........for a minute I forgot where I was.........

ralpht
04-09-2012, 09:25 PM
You came close to starting a new thread there, Paladan. However, with your handle, it wouldn't be wise for anyone to become a pinhead.

Doug-Morgan
04-09-2012, 09:27 PM
Don't even open up DR&TS [[sounds like a railroad, doesn't it?) threads anymore. It's not worth my effort. If you can clean them up, more power to you.

[[maybe the Detroit River & Toledo Southern? If there's a model railroader in the group that uses this for their pike, you owe me an HO boxcar.....)

paladin
04-09-2012, 09:31 PM
You came close to starting a new thread there, Paladan.

I apologize, I told you I started thinking about Jean Terrell and ...and......Jai, help me...I need a taste of elixir........

ralpht
04-09-2012, 09:31 PM
Doug,
don't think I haven't considered your suggestion. The problem is I would be cutting out what would be important to responsible forum members, so I must continue on. Good acronym.

soulster
04-09-2012, 09:34 PM
I seriously think these people must eat, sleep, and shit Diana Ross and Supremes. I would not be surprised if some of them built Supremes/Diana Ross shrines in their homes. These guys should be in that TLC TV show "My Strange Addiction".

soulster
04-09-2012, 09:36 PM
I was never big on their gowns, wigs, routines or personal-interpersonal issues, just the music, which is not enough for some folks.

It's all about the music for me too...and sound quality. :)

mark speck
04-09-2012, 09:37 PM
I very rarely stick my face in the Motown Forum here...I don't know what all the fuss is about with DRATS...I support you 100 %, Ralph!

Best,

Mark

juicefree20
04-09-2012, 10:25 PM
Godfather...

I was just stopping through to wish everyone a belated Happy Easter, but saw this thread at the top of the page. I'm sorry to see your Easter ruined by yet more nonsense & as Marc mentioned, I'll never forget that July either.

One would believe that with what's going on out in Florida, Tulsa & the world in general, that music is the one place where we would find just a little peace. I find it rather ironic that some of the same people who laud The Supremes for bringing the world a little closer through songs of beauty, spend so much time tearing the ladies apart with venomous words of their own.

I support you & second & third your motion, with one caveat...

Rather than to blow up entire threads, I believe that it would be fairer to simply deal with the trangressors as opposed to doing away with entire threads & I'll tell you why.

I was quite young when The Supremes first hit big & as they were a Girl Group [[albeit the most important one), I was too young to care about who sang backup on what, or who played on what records. At that age, it simply wasn't that important to me.

But despite the bickering between a few, there are often some excellent information shared in those threads that folks such as myself never knew & personally, aside from the jewels, the gowns & the pumps kind of fawning, I have found many of the MUSICAL discussions to be very informative & would hate to see all of that wished away into the cornfield simply because of a few 50 year-olds who simply can't control the more obssessive part of themselves.

So, rather than throw the baby out with the bath water, I feel that it would be fairer to all concerned to simply look at those threads, see who's instigating & baiting, then deal with them appropriately. After all, it's not as though we can't predict who the players will be, as they'e been doing the same crap since that section of the forum was created specifically for Motown, after the other Motown Forum went under, likely for the same ridiculous reason/reasons.

And truthfully, at this stage of the game, ALL have warned or chastized by more respectful forum members whenever one or more have chosen to turn those threads south & have chosen to place their own personal bitchfests over that of the greater majority of the forum, even innocents whom simply wanted to discuss the music of The Supremes, sans all of the name calling & baiting.

I would simply suggest banning ANYONE, be they friend or foe, who denigrates ANY MEMBER of The Supremes, or posts some provocative "informative" link, which is solely designed to anger another forumer, or links to information which leads to ANY SITE which contains "news" which pits one Supremes faction against another.

This is some 40 year-old ish & it's absolutely ridiculous to think that folks, most of whom are on the plus side of 40 or 50, continue to argue over this same stale shit as though their respective positions are going to reverse 30 - 45 years worth of history.

I support your & the spirit of your thoughts, but when I consider many of our most respectful forumers, i.e. Carlo & many others, I'd hate to see an entire section blown up because of the behavior of the same 9 or 10 people.

It's easier to get rid of all of those whom willingly & constantly contribute to dragging these threads down & from where I sit, this includes the trouble-makers, as well as the "peace-makers", whom have proven themselves rather adept at shit-stirring in their own right, as they've contributed to keeping the fires burning.

As the very soulful Dorisa Daye once sang...

"Que Sera Sera...whatever will be, will be..."

Roberta75
04-09-2012, 10:36 PM
Godfather...

I was just stopping through to wish everyone a belated Happy Easter, but saw this thread at the top of the page. I'm sorry to see your Easter ruined by yet more nonsense & as Marc mentioned, I'll never forget that July either.

One would believe that with what's going on out in Florida, Tulsa & the world in general, that music is the one place where we would find just a little peace. I find it rather ironic that some of the same people who laud The Supremes for bringing the world a little closer through songs of beauty, spend so much time tearing the ladies apart with venomous words of their own.

I support you & second & third your motion, with one caveat...

Rather than to blow up entire threads, I believe that it would be fairer to simply deal with the trangressors as opposed to doing away with entire threads & I'll tell you why.

I was quite young when The Supremes first hit big & as they were a Girl Group [[albeit the most important one), I was too young to care about who sang backup on what, or who played on what records. At that age, it simply wasn't that important to me.

But despite the bickering between a few, there are often some excellent information shared in those threads that folks such as myself never knew & personally, aside from the jewels, the gowns & the pumps kind of fawning, I have found much of the MUSICAL discussions to be very informative & would have to see all of that wished away into the cornfiled simply because of a few 50 year-olds who simply can't control the more obssessive part of themselves.

So, rather than throw the baby out with the bath water, I feel that it would be fairer to all concerned to simply look at those threads, see who's instigating & baiting, then deal with them appropriately. After all, it's not as though we can't predict who the players will be, as they'e been doing the same crap since that section of the forum was created specifically for Motown, after the other Motown Forum went under, likely for the same ridiculous reason/reasons.

And truthfully, at this stage of the game, ALL have warned or chastized by more respectful forum members whenever one or more have chosen to turn those threads south & have chosen to place their own personal bitchfests over that of the greater majority of the forum, even innocents whom simply wanted to discuss the music of The Supremes, sans all of the name calling & baiting.

I would simply suggest banning ANYONE, be they friend or foe, who denigrates ANY MEMBER of The Supremes, or posts some provocative "informative" link, which is solely designed to anger another forumer, or links to information which leads to ANY SITE which contains "news" which pits one Supremes faction against another.

This is some 40 year-old ish & it's absolutely ridiculous to think that folks, most of whom are on the plus side of 40 or 50, continue to argue over this same stale shit as though their respective positions are going to reverse 30 - 45 years worth of history.

I support your & the spirit of your thoughts, but when I consider many of our most respectful forumers, i.e. Carlo & many others, I'd hate to see an entire section blown up because of the behavior of the same 9 or 10 people.

It's easier to get rid of all of those whom willingly & constantly contribute to dragging these threads down & from where I sit, this includes the trouble-makers, as well as the "peace-makers", whom have proven themselves rather adept at shit-stirring in their own right, as they've contributed to keeping the fires burning.

As the very soulful Dorisa Daye once sang...

"Que Sera Sera...whatever will be, will be..."

Bravo dear Juice, my knight in shining armor and the most reasonable voice of reason on this forum.

A Happy Bleated Easter to you.

Fondly,

Roberta

juicefree20
04-09-2012, 10:54 PM
Thinking back to something that fellow member vcq wrote, perhaps a more sensible way to do things is to simply have The Supremes divided into their own subsection. That is, if it's not too cumbersome to do so.

Another thing which can be done & I've seen it done elsewhere is that the subsection can have a section for generl Supremes info, one for Diana with updates & one for Mary, with updates. In this way, the 300 seperate threads dedicated to whom ate what or whom for breakfast, what brand toilet tissue so & so uses & who wears Maybelline & hates Revlon, can be confined to one area, without totally burying threads about The Originals, Syreeta Wright & the hundreds of other great Motown artists whom have given us such historical music in the process.

Also by doing so, it will also help to CLEARLY identify [[as though we don't already know) WHO is really looking to create trouble. We already know who are Diana fans & we know who are Mary fans. As such, as we know that some have no love lost for either of the ladies, there should really be no reason for either to come into either's threads, that is unless it's to stimulate a little action or havoc.

And here's another little insignificant though which I'll mention anyway...

Considering that SDF is a site whose intention is to & watch for the hook...HONOR the artists & music that these tremendous people of Detroit gave to the world, there should simply be no tolerance for anyone's negative rehash of 40 year-old events...rehashes which won't change a damn thing.

Those events are written on the pages of history & it is what it is. And frankly, I don't believe that SDF is the place where these same old arguments should be fought over...& over...& over...& over....you get my drift.

None of these ladies should be referred to as a "B", "W....e", or any such epithet, nor should it be tolerated. And I don't care WHO it is, anyone who discusses any of these ladies is such a manner, or calls them ANY NAME other than Diana/Diane, Mary, Flo, Barbara, Cindy, Jean, Scherrie, Susaye or Linda, should be booted IMMEDIATELY.

If all of this fighting could possibly change history as we know it, then I'd say, "go for it". But it isn't, it wasn't & ain't never going to be that way, which simply makes all of this exasperating at best & just downright idiotic & juvenile, at worst.

My suggestion[[s) may be a bit cumbersome, but I'm just trying to see this through the eyes of fellow forumers whom while not being in love with all of the bickering, are definitely in love with The Supremes. And while I've never been that caught up with any ONE performer since I was 10 & James Brown ruled my musical world, I don't mind that there are so many who still find these beautiful ladies from Detroit who spun the world on its ear, still worthy of such fascination.

bradsupremes
04-09-2012, 10:54 PM
I'm all in support, Ralph! The constant bickering and fighting has ruined things for me here and I don't post as much because of it. I avoid the topics that I know are going downhill and sadly most Diana/Supremes related topics go down that route. Do what you need to do to stop all of the nonsense. I'm tired of the individuals who stir the pot. This is the only place I can really go to discuss the music I love so much because I'm none of my friends have that same interest in music as me. Lately it seems like I can't even go here to discuss the music. What a damn shame...

juicefree20
04-09-2012, 10:55 PM
Roberta,

Thank you & likewise, a belated, but very Happy Easter to you & yours.

Roberta75
04-09-2012, 11:55 PM
Roberta,

Thank you & likewise, a belated, but very Happy Easter to you & yours.

Thank you dear Juice.

Boogiedown
04-10-2012, 01:21 AM
As a newbie here adding my two cents probably isn't worth a nickel , but on the other hand I speak with no personal history regarding the situation.
A site centered around Detroit Soul that intentionally forbids as a topic , Diana Ross & The Supremes ?? I suspect that the biggest chuckle about that would come from Berry Gordy himself. It's not Diana Ross's , nor any other Supreme's fault that unlike so many from Motown, they are A) still alive [[mostly) and B) in the process, remain active and relevant enough to still get notice . As Motown devotees I'd think we'd be grateful they still garner such interest.

If I'm not mistaken, the biggest concern of the disgruntled is that too large a percentage of threads have DR & CO. as their topic. But why chase off what seems to be a strong contingency that comes here to discuss such ? Instead, why not better accommodate their high volume by simply creating a SUPREMES forum? Thread after thread of all there is to be said without them overrunning the other Motown discussions .

They're happy , people that don't care , also happy.

Most to the point, those that enter said forum do so of their choosing ; if their intentions are nefarious , it 'll be apparent. You can then simply ban that person from that specific forum as a step before the last if then needed .

soulster
04-10-2012, 01:38 AM
If I'm not mistaken, the biggest concern of the disgruntled is that too large a percentage of threads have DR & CO. as their topic. But why chase off what seems to be a strong contingency that comes here to discuss such ? Instead, why not better accommodate their high volume by simply creating a SUPREMES forum? Thread after thread of all there is to be said without them overrunning the other Motown discussions .

They're happy , people that don't care , also happy.

Most to the point, those that enter said forum do so of their choosing ; if their intentions are nefarious , it 'll be apparent. You can then simply ban that person from that specific forum as a step before the last if then needed .

I don't know how much you have lurked before you joined up, but the problem is that there is constant fighting in those threads. Ralph could create a separate Supremes forum and let them all go at it like rats...with no moderation. He could set it up and forget it exists! HOWEVER, why would he want that mess attached to this forum?

Boogiedown
04-10-2012, 03:08 AM
A specific forum would certainly be more easy to manage and perhaps in isolation the behavior will improve. If not , like you said, for the others, who cares? It seems worth a try as a solution before the drastic one of 86ing Diana Ross.

smark21
04-10-2012, 07:19 AM
Just out of curiosity Ralph, why did you log into the forum on Easter? I think you should set boundaries for yourself that on certain days and occasions, you don’t log in here if being with family and celebrating a holiday or milestone is important. Or was your day interrupted by members calling you up or texting you to alert you of another flame war that had to be put out? IN the end, this is just a forum, and family and personal quality time should take precedence.
Also, your message seems to indicate you’re burned out. It’s been suggested before, but maybe you should consider getting a co moderator to carry the burden, or completely step down if you’re sick of doing the moderating job. That way you can spend more time with your wife, friends and family on days like Easter and the headache of running this forum can fall to someone else. You’ve been doing this job alone for a number of years..perhaps it’s time for a change?

peterivera
04-10-2012, 08:01 AM
Hey Ralph………………..you know……………………………………..​bm

luke
04-10-2012, 08:52 AM
Isnt part of the problem that people booted just come back with different names? I guess it cant be avoided.

soulster
04-10-2012, 10:28 AM
Just out of curiosity Ralph, why did you log into the forum on Easter? I think you should set boundaries for yourself that on certain days and occasions, you don’t log in here if being with family and celebrating a holiday or milestone is important. Or was your day interrupted by members calling you up or texting you to alert you of another flame war that had to be put out? IN the end, this is just a forum, and family and personal quality time should take precedence.
Also, your message seems to indicate you’re burned out. It’s been suggested before, but maybe you should consider getting a co moderator to carry the burden, or completely step down if you’re sick of doing the moderating job. That way you can spend more time with your wife, friends and family on days like Easter and the headache of running this forum can fall to someone else. You’ve been doing this job alone for a number of years..perhaps it’s time for a change?

He's the moderator and can do whatever he wants.

soulster
04-10-2012, 10:32 AM
Isnt part of the problem that people booted just come back with different names? I guess it cant be avoided.

Yeah, they do come back, but Ralph has their IP addresses, and, can block them if their address is static.

motown_david
04-10-2012, 10:37 AM
I'm with you, Ralph, on this Supremes issue. I long ago stopped looking at any thread to do with the group as I didn't join SD to be blasted by such Drama Queens on such ancient issues like the RTL tour. That was all so long ago now and no amount of agonising or argument on such issues will change a thing about it. Do what you have to do and let's get back to a joyful SD family, who love to share info about the best record label ever to come out of the States.

ralpht
04-10-2012, 10:56 AM
I guess I'm somewhat overwhelmed by all of your responses. To try and address all of this:

I logged into SD on Easter Sunday because that is what I do every morning.

I considered a second moderator quite some time ago, but realized it might cause some confusion between me and the second moderator.

I don't think I'm burned out. Maybe a little tired of the BS at times, but in reality, other than the issues we are discussing, moderating is a piece of cake here.

An individual thread for Supremes et al wouldn't work, at least for me, because once the trouble started and it would eventually, I would be subjected to the same complaints I get now.

Pete Rivera: I owe you a phone call.

ralpht
04-10-2012, 10:58 AM
So...I think it best to try what I suggested. Just ONE screw-up on a Supremes related thread and it will be history. No ifs ands or buts.

glencro
04-10-2012, 12:40 PM
I can totally relate to your frustration Ralph. Back in 2000, I became the administrator for the now defunct www.theclarksisters.com, the official website for the gospel recording group The Clark Sisters. I had their full cooperation, traveled with them and created a site that would update their fans on their various endeavors and connect their fans to them. I had no idea how fast that site would blow up and how popular it would become. It was due to the message board which started off as informative, fun and the beginning of many friendships. Then things began to change. The posters were comparing one sister to the next as far as who sings the best and who dresses the best. Then came the personal attacks on each other, attacks on other members sexuality and flat out unwarranted name calling and this was a gospel music site. Being administrator of that site made me a good read of people. I could tell a lot about a person just by their posts. It was a babysitting job, which is why I'm sure that Ralph feels the need to log on weekends and holidays. It was frustrating to see the same mess started by the same people and I did have to ban some. The "messy" board got so out of hand until one of the Clark sisters asked that it be taken down. That was definitely the life of the website.
This is a place where music lovers come together. We are all old enough to agree to disagree without being disrespectful. I'm extremely thankful for this board. I have been educated on so many things musically through this site. I've been introduced to so many artists and music through this site. People let's grow up and let the music play.

ralpht
04-10-2012, 12:47 PM
It all seems so simple, doesn't it, Glen?

glencro
04-10-2012, 02:09 PM
It all seems so simple, doesn't it, Glen?

It really does but some folk's days are not complete without some sort of drama ...SIGH!!!!

ralpht
04-10-2012, 02:20 PM
Well from now on, they can take the drama elsewhere. I don't want it here.

P-Shark: The Revenge
04-10-2012, 02:47 PM
Do your thing Ralph
http://chivethebrigade.files.wordpress.com/2010/07/1278657557111.gif?w=152&h=114

04-10-2012, 02:55 PM
I understand all these Supremes fans all came from another forum that got shut down because of all the flame wars, and they all came over here. These guys need to find a new place. I'm sure one of them must have enough money to create their very own fan site.Don't need money to start a forum> http://www.freeforums.org/
Or they can create a group on facebook. They have a choice to make it private or public and run any way they want

Hotspurman
04-10-2012, 03:10 PM
As a relatively new member here, I've been surprised at how quickly virtually every discussion involving any aspect of The Supremes quickly degenerates into an online war. In fact, I'd go so far as to say that I've seen Spurs fans conduct themselves on Arsenal websites with more self control, and vice versa! I've also noticed that there are several members of the SDF who have virtually left the forum and I wondered if the ongoing Supremes problem might have been the reason.

If Ralph threatening to get tough with the perpetrators cleans up the forum and leads to those causing problems to leave and those who have much to contribute coming back, then bring it on!

soulstevie
04-10-2012, 05:16 PM
I support your idea, Ralph. I now usually avoid logging on and posting since new topics other than Supremes-related lose ground pretty quickly and drop in the list. I know, itīs stupid, I should post anyway.

theboyfromxtown
04-10-2012, 06:12 PM
Luke makes a very valid point that whatever you do, it aint gonna be easy!

I have made some brave attempts at introducing "other" topics recently. They may not be as widely viewed as some others but I do find that they bring back some of the long time posters. I also see some of the individual clubhouse topics taking on a life of themselves. So it's not all doom and gloom.

I guess what I am saying is, it's up to all of us to make this work and maybe we all need to take that on board.

ralpht
04-10-2012, 06:16 PM
I can use all the help I can get John. I'm sure there will be a couple of bumps, but if a problem arises I will get rid of it, in it's entirety.

blkfrost
04-10-2012, 06:41 PM
I am a Diana Ross/Supremes fan and have been since 1964. That being said, I do not understand the constant baiting, fighting and personal attacks. As much I would like to open a DR/Supremes thread, I always hesitate because I really dislike the direction the thread usually head. There have been times when I did open a thread and to my surprise I was happy to find tidbits that I did not know. It was here that I learned of many unreleased songs. This forum should be about the music.

Maybe with the threat of being banned people will think twice and temper their comments.

jobeterob
04-10-2012, 06:42 PM
What about this for an idea?

We have a "Supreme Hiatus"...........and no, that is not a Supreme Hernia. This means we drop all the Supremes topics til May 1. It's just a break ~ a long overdue Supreme Holiday. No new Supremes threads and Ralph deletes the first 20 Supremes threads on Motown Board and we sit tight til May 1.

My only other comments are some people take their connections to their Divas too seriously, in too heartfelt a manner ~ and we are talking Diana Ross, Mary Wilson, Whitney Houston, Aretha Franklin, Chaka Khan, Anita Baker and her quasi sister Shantel, SOS, and all the other Supremes.

To what end? These people generally don't know us. Some of them have been warned to keep their distance from this Forum and from some of it's members.

Does it all have to be taken so seriously?

Some of them might join in here a bit more frequently if we could back it off a few notches.

juicefree20
04-10-2012, 06:52 PM
Ralph,

I kinda thought that such an arrangement would be cumbersome & add even more to your workload.

The one thing that no one can accuse you of is a lack of patience & tolerance, as this has been occurring with regularity for at least 5 years now. You have pretty much requested that adults simply behave as adults & honesstly, no one can ask for more than that.

That things have come to what you are proposing is no reflection on you, but rather on those whom for some ungodly reason simply can't reign themselves in & spoiling countless threads for others in the process.

For you to have to resort to this measure is sad, as there have been others whom have been upset at having to see decent threads go south & unhappy about some of the constant infighting & seeing many of their favorite artists constantly defamed, cursed & more. Despite that, you still allowed a place in the forum, only to have some prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that they didn't appreciate the gesture.

And while I'm sure that some of the same folks will accuse you of "over-reacting", the truth is that no one can accuse you of jumping the gun, nor going off of the deep end here. All that was necessary to have prevented this was a little maturity, a little common decency & remembering why this forum was created to begin with.

I understand that reality shows are the rage these days, but SDF wasn't set up to be The National Enquirer, nor TMZ. It wasn't created to constantly bash Diana, Mary, nor Berry for crap that happened well over 2 decades ago, nor should that behavior be tolerated. I guess that you could say that SDF tried a grand experiment in trying to allow adults to behave as adults & some of them always choose to fail the test.

To be honest & I've said it before, I believe that this behavior proves that their actions have much less to do with any great love of any of the ladies & has more to do with supplanting these ladies as stars on their own personal stages. It's not about The Supremes, but rather, themselves & whatever attention they can garner by being as over-the-top as possible.

Seriously, what entertainer would really want to claim a fan whom has exhibited some of the behavior we've seen here? What entertainer would really feel comfortable with ANY fan who behaves as obsessed as we've seen some behave, while speaking as though they're some 14 year-old & we're still in the year 1972?

I don't know about anyone else, but that would scare the hell out of me.

I'm sorry to see that it's come to this, but sometimes when you give someone a yard of material, they can either use it to make a pretty bow, or to make a noose to hang around their own neck.

Personally, I'd have chosen the bow :)

I commend you for your patience, because if nothing else, you've shown a patience that I simply don't have. I support whatever you choose to do 1,000%.

juicefree20
04-10-2012, 07:16 PM
Three things which may help...

1. Forumers could simply refrain from posting the "______________ [[fill in the Supreme of your choice) SPOTTED IN THE FROZEN FOODS AISLE" or "________________ [[again fill in the blank) EMPTIES THE GARBAGE!!!" type of posts which add absolutely NOTHING of value to ANY discussion of The Supremes & seem to be posted simply in order to pump up the related thread count.

If one of the ladies are currently performing...cool! By all means put up that kind of information. But if it's one of those posts which isn't discussing anything which is an accomplishment or a performance, how about keeping that to a monthly kind of "update" post, in which one can post all recent such info in ONE SPECIFIC POST, so as to not deluge the forum with a bunch of "news" which edifies no one?

2. If someone posts a POSITIVE thread about Diana or Mary & you DISLIKE either of the two, the answer is quite simple...

KEEP YOUR A$$ OUT OF THE THREAD!!!

If you don't like either, then you're not likely entering a thread which is dedicated to them in order to spread a feel-good vibe. So simply allow the folks who like them to enjoy themselves & don't scratch where it don't itch.

Personally, I would ban ANYONE, FRIEND OR FOE, who chooses to go into a thread of a person whom we know that they dislike, because to me, that would be proof positive that they're only there to create a problem.

No less & no more!

And finally, number 3...

Leave the youtube B.S. over at youtube & don't drag it here!

I've seen some of what's been written on youtube & a lot of it is far worse than what goes on here. And I gather that some of the folks whom are writing that stuff are also members here. With that said, I don't know who's using what name elsewhere, nor is it so deep or important to me so that I would do any investigating into who's whom. All that I care about is that they don't do that crap HERE!

I don't care what anyone here does in their home, nor is it any of my business. If anyone has a gripe about what someone writes on youtube, yahoo or West Bubble whatever, then they can send private e-mails to expose r voice their displeasure over what is written elsewhere.

If it happened on youtube or yahoo, handle it there, not here. Personally, I would automatically suspend ANYONE, FRIEND OR FOE, who comes here & drags outside B.S. through these doors with them.

All that doing that serves to do is to keep the crap going in a circle. We have had enough headaches here for what's been written HERE. We sure don't need anyone pouring fuel on any fires by dragging outside crap here under the guise of "exposure" or "full disclosure".

Just a few thoughts & for ome who would say that Ralph's being too hard, you should thank your lucky stars because I'd have booted quite a few a long time ago. While we share the same odiac sign, Ralph has proven to be far more patient than I am.

It must be the wisdom which comes with a few grey hairs, in which case, I'm gaining on you Ralph. That is, the few hairs that I have remaining :)

ralpht
04-10-2012, 07:23 PM
Good post Juice. It really seems so simple. the threads of no use that you mention will be just what I will be looking for. They are useless anyway and do nothing but breed trouble. Juice, I think you are comfortably enough behind me. 70 this July Juice............................................H ang onto your hair.

Roberta75
04-10-2012, 07:38 PM
Three things which may help...

1. Forumers could simply refrain from posting the "______________ [[fill in the Supreme of your choice) SPOTTED IN THE FROZEN FOODS AISLE" or "________________ [[again fill in the blank) EMPTIES THE GARBAGE!!!" type of posts which add absolutely NOTHING of value to ANY discussion of The Supremes & seem to be posted simply in order to pump up the related thread count.

If one of the ladies are currently performing...cool! By all means put up that kind of information. But if it's one of those posts which isn't discussing anything which is an accomplishment or a performance, how about keeping that to a monthly kind of "update" post, in which one can post all recent such info in ONE SPECIFIC POST, so as to not deluge the forum with a bunch of "news" which edifies no one?

2. If someone posts a POSITIVE thread about Diana or Mary & you DISLIKE either of the two, the answer is quite simple...

KEEP YOUR A$$ OUT OF THE THREAD!!!

If you don't like either, then you're not likely entering a thread which is dedicated to them in order to spread a feel-good vibe. So simply allow the folks who like them to enjoy themselves & don't scratch where it don't itch.

Personally, I would ban ANYONE, FRIEND OR FOE, who chooses to go into a thread of a person whom we know that they dislike, because to me, that would be proof positive that they're only there to create a problem.

No less & no more!

And finally, number 3...

Leave the youtube B.S. over at youtube & don't drag it here!

I've seen some of what's been written on youtube & a lot of it is far worse than what goes on here. And I gather that some of the folks whom are writing that stuff are also members here. With that said, I don't know who's using what name elsewhere, nor is it so deep or important to me so that I would do any investigating into who's whom. All that I care about is that they don't do that crap HERE!

I don't care what anyone here does in their home, nor is it any of my business. If anyone has a gripe about what someone writes on youtube, yahoo or West Bubble whatever, then they can send private e-mails to expose r voice their displeasure over what is written elsewhere.

If it happened on youtube or yahoo, handle it there, not here. Personally, I would automatically suspend ANYONE, FRIEND OR FOE, who comes here & drags outside B.S. through these doors with them.

All that doing that serves to do is to keep the crap going in a circle. We have had enough headaches here for what's been written HERE. We sure don't need anyone pouring fuel on any fires by dragging outside crap here under the guise of "exposure" or "full disclosure".

Just a few thoughts & for ome who would say that Ralph's being too hard, you should thank your lucky stars because I'd have booted quite a few a long time ago. While we share the same odiac sign, Ralph has proven to be far more patient than I am.

It must be the wisdom which comes with a few grey hairs, in which case, I'm gaining on you Ralph. That is, the few hairs that I have remaining :)

You just nailed it my sweet Juice.

Ralph........follow this incredible man's advice and your stress will be significantly reduced.

Fondly,

Roberta

ralpht
04-10-2012, 07:42 PM
So I believe, Roberta.

Roberta75
04-10-2012, 07:44 PM
So I believe, Roberta.

Believe it Ralph and keep the faith.

My best to you,

Roberta

144man
04-10-2012, 08:22 PM
I'm worried about disagreeing with anybody nowadays in case I inadvertently start World War Three.

Anything you do, Ralph, to make the forum a friendlier and more enjoyable place gets my support.

soulster
04-10-2012, 08:29 PM
Don't need money to start a forum> http://www.freeforums.org/
Or they can create a group on facebook. They have a choice to make it private or public and run any way they want

But, it's space on someone else's server. It takes a bit more to run your own.

ralpht
04-10-2012, 08:33 PM
I'm beginning to feel a little like Gary Cooper in "High Noon".

moe
04-10-2012, 08:34 PM
Hey Ralph,
If you need help ya might try to locate Paulie 3Shoes..........capice?

Do it.........

soulster
04-10-2012, 08:35 PM
I have made some brave attempts at introducing "other" topics recently. They may not be as widely viewed as some others but I do find that they bring back some of the long time posters. I also see some of the individual clubhouse topics taking on a life of themselves. So it's not all doom and gloom.

I guess what I am saying is, it's up to all of us to make this work and maybe we all need to take that on board.

I found that the trouble with this forum is trying to find a musical topic that will be of interest. It seems like all anyone here wants to talk about is: Supremes related stuff, other female singers, or funk. Then, there are those who think only Detroit-related music and artists should be discussed, and those, like me, who believe that the scope of soul music should be wider, as there are almost no other places that will take soul music as seriously as we do.

ralpht
04-10-2012, 08:35 PM
I've been thinking about that, Moe. And maybe the Kabong chicks as well?

moe
04-10-2012, 08:40 PM
Front and center............

soulster
04-10-2012, 08:51 PM
What about this for an idea?

We have a "Supreme Hiatus"...........and no, that is not a Supreme Hernia. This means we drop all the Supremes topics til May 1. It's just a break ~ a long overdue Supreme Holiday. No new Supremes threads and Ralph deletes the first 20 Supremes threads on Motown Board and we sit tight til May 1.

Can we make that May 1, 2014? :) The problem with this idea is that it would require constant monitoring of the forum, and Ralph does have a life. Would you want to sit here all day and watch for new Supremes threads? Also, any thread can be hijacked and morphed into a Supremes-related discussion. To stay on top of that would require crazy monitoring of each and every thread 24-hours a day!

My only other comments are some people take their connections to their Divas too seriously, in too heartfelt a manner ~ and we are talking Diana Ross, Mary Wilson, Whitney Houston, Aretha Franklin, Chaka Khan, Anita Baker and her quasi sister Shantel, SOS, and all the other Supremes.

You know, me being the curious type, attempted to find out what was behind it all in a not-so-politically-correct way. Apparently, enough people were offended that I would entertain the issue and Ralph pulled the threads. However, I did manage to get an honest answer from a forum member, so I finally left the issue alone.

To what end? These people generally don't know us. Some of them have been warned to keep their distance from this Forum and from some of it's members.

You have to say: who is "us"? I left the forum once largely because of all the Supremes nonsense years ago and then came back midst another Supremes blow-up. So, does that classify me as an "us" or a "them" in the oldsters' minds? I have loved Motown and was raised on it since birth [[i'm about the same age as Juicefree), but I am not as intuned to the inner-workings of the company or it's artists, and I did not come from Detroit. I have a very broad taste in music.

Does it all have to be taken so seriously?

On another forum I frequent, there are people who obsess over everything Beatles. The difference is that the threads don't degrade into nasty fights [[probably because of the huge international moderation team), but, trust me, some of the membership complains about the frequency of the threads just like this one does the Supremes-related threads. In that respect, this place is not unique.

Some of them might join in here a bit more frequently if we could back it off a few notches.

It has been made clear that some longtime members want to return to the year 2002, where they percieved this place as one small happy family where everybody knew each other. This place is too big for that now.

tsull1
04-10-2012, 09:01 PM
I don't get all the Supreme fans here arguing. It's pretty easy to break it all down and call it a day:

1. Diana Ross was a major talent who was coddled and had an affair with Berry Gordy and therefore was the favored performer of Motown. Because of this, she has some ego problems. I don't have a problem with her. I like her music with and without the Supremes, and I've enjoyed some interviews I've heard with her. Yes, her voice can sometimes get annoying and sometimes it's great. Take one poor kid from the projects, throw fame and money at them and sometimes the results aren't what you want. For the most part, Diana seems like a good mom to her kids and a great performing artist.

2. Florence Ballard and others probably didn't get their due. That's show business.

3. Diana ain't coming back for a reunion tour.

Case closed.

marv2
04-10-2012, 09:01 PM
Thanks for the immediate support, guys. Much appreciated.

Ralph, a belated Happy Easter. I support you too. I wasn't here yesterday, but I am here now. People use " the Supremes" as an excuse to get at people they do not like. People that had not agree with them in the past. I agree with you very much about these threads.

Marv

soulster
04-10-2012, 09:36 PM
I don't get all the Supreme fans here arguing. It's pretty easy to break it all down and call it a day:

1. Diana Ross was a major talent who was coddled and had an affair with Berry Gordy and therefore was the favored performer of Motown. Because of this, she has some ego problems. I don't have a problem with her. I like her music with and without the Supremes, and I've enjoyed some interviews I've heard with her. Yes, her voice can sometimes get annoying and sometimes it's great. Take one poor kid from the projects, throw fame and money at them and sometimes the results aren't what you want. For the most part, Diana seems like a good mom to her kids and a great performing artist.

2. Florence Ballard and others probably didn't get their due. That's show business.

3. Diana ain't coming back for a reunion tour.

Case closed.

You know you're stirring the pot, cuz!

marv2
04-10-2012, 09:47 PM
Yeah, they do come back, but Ralph has their IP addresses, and, can block them if their address is static.

The IP address is the best identifyer of the member/poster. In the old forum, the IP address appeared right beneath the name of each member. As it is now, people just make up a new name and rejoin. It is not REAL heard to determine who some of these people are because they "come back" with the same interests and bad attitudes that they left with!

juicefree20
04-10-2012, 09:56 PM
Ralph:

Anytime at all. We've been down down pretty rough roads together & you know my opinion of you.

As Soulster said, Ralph does have a life. Tell you what....I'LL VOLUNTEER to moderate The Supremes threads. And if that were ever to come to pass, some would be begging for Ralph's calming presence. And as I have a ife, I wouldn't be here every 3 seconds to see what's going on either. In fact, just as now, you'd never know exactly when I'd show up. But when I did, if things weren't as they should be, people would just get the boot & I wouldn't hire Marcy Darcy to help to ease the news.

I wouldn't entertain even one e-mail because after all of these years, there would be nothing left to say. My rules would be simple...

1. Any cursing of ANY Supremes = Instant Ban

2. Any intentional provocation be it via posting of some 30 yar-old crap which has been rehashed 387,493 times or just posting the same crap from 20 year-old books, interviews, etc = Instant Ban

3. Any dragging here of ANYTHING negative which was/is posted by ANY member on Yahoo, Youtube or anywhere else, under the guise of "letting us know how they operate" = Instant Ban

4. ANY denigration of ANY performer who has done the EXACT SAME crap as other artists whom we've showered with affection here for years = Instant Ban.

This is not to suggest that we can offer opinions about people who are in the neews for doing some outlandish things, but the "TMZ-inization" of the forum really needs to go, as it serves NONE of us well. I was under the impresion that we were here to discuss & salute the artists, the music & the creators of the music, not to excoriate them for being as human & sometimes as F'd up as some of us, our family members or friends can often be.

Just because we can HAVE a negative opinion about folks doesn't necessarily mean that we have to always VOICE that opinion in an unnecessarily scathing manner.

5. Any chasing members through threads & addressing them in threads in which they ARE NOT participating in, simply in order to get a rise out of them = Instant Ban!

From my perspective, that's merely the equivalent of stalking, which I'm sure we'd all agree isn't a very desirable thing to have to deal with.

And finally....

6. Any future mention about how Berry screwed over whomever, any further mention about who slept with the boss in order to advance their career, any further reference about whom punched, slapped, or hit whom upside the head between 1959 to 2010, any reference about whom slammed whom in any damn body's book which was written before the millenium =

INSTANT BAN!

We've heard it all before, we can't do a damn thing about it & besides, how many of us were really there in order to know EXACTLY what happened?

The point is moot & has been since 1967, 1969 & 1986 or thereabouts.

That would pretty much be my criteria for moderating those threads.

juicefree20
04-10-2012, 10:08 PM
Soulster"

I believe that some of us would like to revisit those days, for me it would be roughly from the end of 2003 through about 2005. But it's not just that the forum is too big, it's just that many of us have learned too much since those virginal days.

A bigger factor is Facebook, as it's the latest craze. Factor in the act that a person on Facebook can discuss whatever they choose to & can also communicate with friends & family members who just aren't into music forums, well, together that's something that has had an effect. That's why it'll never be exactly as it was then, but that doesn't mean that it can't be somewhat close to what it used to be.

I think it pertinent to add that the folks who've been arguing in these threads are not newbies, but have been members of our forum for years.

Strangely enough, contrary to what this thread may lead many to believe, the participants are basically a handful & it's been going on pretty much as far back to what we refer to as "the good old days".

juicefree20
04-10-2012, 10:09 PM
Roberta,

Thank you & may God bless!

04-10-2012, 10:28 PM
But, it's space on someone else's server. It takes a bit more to run your own.Facebook has plenty of space. And its so easy to start a group discussion over there. He/she can run it any way he/she wants.They can talk about what Diana had for breakfast, Diana Ross for president, start a petition to erect a Mount Rossmore, Mary Wilson's affair with a space alien and other nonsense. Less headaches for Ralph, and more quality Motown related discussions here.

http://test9-v5-static.ehowcdn.com/media/images/logos/logo.png [[http://www.ehow.com/)

How to Create Facebook Groups [[http://www.ehow.com/how_2031200_facebook-groups.html)
How to Create Facebook Groups

By an eHow Contributor

Facebook groups allow you to further connect with friends on your network, creating a close-knit social network within the larger Web site. You can join any group on your network or create your own. From pets to football to computer programming, you can create a group on any topic that interests you.Other People Are Reading

http://test9-img.ehowcdn.com/other-people/ds-photo/getty/article/106/32/113888441_XS.jpgHow to Have an Active Facebook Group [[http://www.ehow.com/how_10064096_active-facebook-group.html)
http://test9-img.ehowcdn.com/other-people/ds-photo/getty/article/106/32/113888441_XS.jpgHow Can I Create a Calendar for a Facebook Group? [[http://www.ehow.com/how_12038192_can-create-calendar-facebook-group.html)

http://soulfuldetroit.com/image/png;base64,iVBORw0KGgoAAAANSUhEUgAAAC0AAAAUCAIAAAC WDSOoAAAABGdBTUEAALGPC/xhBQAAAU5JREFUSEtj/Pfv35NXX95++P77zz8GugNWFiYRAU5pMR6GRy8+Xb//9vW7r28GAr1++wVo++MXnxjO3Xj56u2XAXEExFKg7edvvGQ4de X5ADoCYjXQDVjckVCxxjpyBh4EVEBdp2N3B35HQGQHzB3FXdv+ gwGQQYw7iFED9wwJ4QF0wdOXn/YfvZ1UvgjNDqxcGroD6Ah4lCHHC1Yrqe+OwJwls1efBobH+Rsv gAwgl6TwgCvG6gd8+QUtncJTBq70gSdekB0BD0LMoCItfQDDg5 h4gViDlq3Q/IaW3WjrDohrIFbiTy443ZHTvBkNASPl3qN3EEEy0geyFhLiBdM dwGoZjzuQ4wseL2gJguR0Ciy25VwbLEOnAEmsDDqV69Qts4kxD ZQ+gHXuoKj3gW2QAWwHAYMA2g4CJkCgUy7cfAUMHPojoL2PX34 CugEAZwNKO/hX+zQAAAAASUVORK5CYII=
http://soulfuldetroit.com/image/png;base64,iVBORw0KGgoAAAANSUhEUgAAADcAAAAUCAIAAAC mgTKJAAAABGdBTUEAALGPC/xhBQAAAzdJREFUSEvVl01IVFEUx23bolWLRPqyIIiCol1tIiIw 2rRoEbaJWgRCEIVYCm1yKjIkU8xIm1JbWE3B5MegZkzOWPYyQU eLqWlCRkRGxmaajyyp3/M8L6+ZgYGB4jUc9Lxzzz33d//n3ue4IvVjcTQU/RhOFFjys3n1yh1FqwpeBSMjoW+/rPqBDcKCNi1kVUKDC8L/hzK5sGhlM7TMidjmmbA5h3zTkZyZfyPBoIymfiqzvxwLzSfNkf 31XUVV7ftqHprjpB203TdbXZfXPCsPXwvOIUTmRIMyklhQVvFk qPBs06l7rp6xIMHq/okNtc/XX+0uqrCX3nKqNCqi7oUHvWtOXi5r7sIffB8y18nDP3SljVKZE 7NQspWt1zoRD6wyx/Duu6+LG4c31nvWXnoKfSAcG5mal0I0dyr8FUqvfxofLas6XhBH 8r0X7wi0U5ssrXuEc7NH23O+gThNmIl9J9I7GiipthNkq0Qcw5 Obymq2nL4OK4qaWQ1Kksw28Hlue4Mb/VARxOImjZ/4oBeeaWwZeKeSKQdl/3iQCMuzhjgiMD6IxxseyxAcDq+PIYfmpxU4bMw98WXnuXpAKQU x3OSwTzNPdkoEO9H5QecTxCVDzm03+g7fdtW6tKyUlGZhzglk6 AEWdZAHOZEQVjaDwUECWDCBSKS8tZs0aqqOp6lmULIAxv7EwRC 8pGNcIUrTOaPEKaHS6L5oKRGWR0Ii8EGJL+pCCROgGEGkhYwhF eGoMJ27yKgqrpw/KP2z8aNNzyo7Pe1aoNw1uWtZRRGSw8raaSWkcYpSGgoTaYIrqw IBJdPZZLPrDc3lUDLK2eVAIzaPpKGlHMq0VQzKQCSJMUahY63u dTYnWKrd+AdaBrkiesJSpjI2hiSwqgo8ctp4pJtysfCRE9l4lD 2QT4Q0iTAFStJ4K0tEFZSyy5ThGOuBiDGf21M58OmIw4dxQO1v 9cuhT1hKSDP+1sr2xOJJ/f6K6vhqCM30oWicfCklbwkSVAVWIQdLW8ugBNFsoqs6wjymJeT 9mFkK3JzVslPmnPaPEwxK30zcyqZT8h2zzz/LzbKmwaZ/C04kU/ziBWFNg43/eX4DKuVtXDsPfl0AAAAASUVORK5CYII=
Print this article [[http://www.ehow.com/print/how_2031200_facebook-groups.html)

Things You'll Need

Facebook account

Computer with Internet access

Instructions

Create a Facebook Group

1Start by logging in to Facebook using the email address you registered with [[see Resources below).

2Follow the "My Groups" link. You can browse through your current groups or look for new ones to join from this page.

3Click the "Create a Group"' button if you do not see any groups you want to join. You can create a group for just about anything [[see the Facebook Terms of Service for limitations).

4Fill in the form. Only the group name, description and type are required, but you will want to at least set the privacy level to one you are comfortable with. When you are finished, click the "Create Group" link.

5Upload a photo that represents your group. The file size limit is 4MB.

6Choose your officers by clicking the "Officers" tab. Don't forget to make yourself an officer. You can create any position you want.

7Edit the details of your group at any time on the "Group Info" tab. Keep the basic information up to date.

Promote Your Group

8Click on "My Groups" when logged in to Facebook. Then click "Edit Group" to invite more members.

9Go to the "Members" tab. You can choose to invite your Facebook friends to join your group by simply marking the check boxes by their name. You can also invite non-Facebook friends to join your group by adding their email address.

10Import emails from your Yahoo, Hotmail, AOL, Gmail or MSN address book to quickly invite several friends at once.

11Turn on your forums from the "Edit Group Profile" page. To gain more members, your group will need to offer something, so get the discussions started.

Tips & Warnings

Set your group's privacy level. You can allow only your friends or people in your network to join or you can create a global group that everyone can join.

The Facebook help section is a good place to look for more tips creating groups [[see Resources below).

Never post your password or personal information on a group's forum. Many groups include people who are not your friends on Facebook.Suggest item [[http://www.ehow.com/how_2031200_facebook-groups.html#)

soulster
04-10-2012, 10:30 PM
As Soulster said, Ralph does have a life. Tell you what....I'LL VOLUNTEER to moderate The Supremes threads. And if that were ever to come to pass, some would be begging for Ralph's calming presence. And as I have a ife, I wouldn't be here every 3 seconds to see what's going on either. In fact, just as now, you'd never know exactly when I'd show up. But when I did, if things weren't as they should be, people would just get the boot & I wouldn't hire Marcy Darcy to help to ease the news.

I wouldn't entertain even one e-mail because after all of these years, there would be nothing left to say. My rules would be simple...

Hi Juice,

The only issue I would have with your approach is that where do you draw the line between legitimate criticism of Diana Ross, or any other of the related Supremes figures, and bashing? It's very subjective. It seems to me that the better deal is to ban the member if they contribute to the mayhem.

2. Any intentional provocation be it via posting of some 30 yar-old crap which has been rehashed 387,493 times or just posting the same crap from 20 year-old books, interviews, etc = Instant Ban

This stifles any peaceful discussion.

4. ANY denigration of ANY performer who has done the EXACT SAME crap as other artists whom we've showered with affection here for years = Instant Ban.

Again, this is all-too subjective.

This is not to suggest that we can offer opinions about people who are in the neews for doing some outlandish things, but the "TMZ-inization" of the forum really needs to go, as it serves NONE of us well. I was under the impresion that we were here to discuss & salute the artists, the music & the creators of the music, not to excoriate them for being as human & sometimes as F'd up as some of us, our family members or friends can often be.

I understand where you are coming from. I also have no use for frivolous posts about what hand any of the women used to pick up the salt shaker with at lunch last Thursday.

Just because we can HAVE a negative opinion about folks doesn't necessarily mean that we have to always VOICE that opinion in an unnecessarily scathing manner.

Again, there is an issue between censorship and exchange of honest opinions.

5. Any chasing members through threads & addressing them in threads in which they ARE NOT participating in, simply in order to get a rise out of them = Instant Ban!

This should be extended to ALL members, friend of moderator or not, Supremes-related or not.

And finally....

6. Any future mention about how Berry screwed over whomever, any further mention about who slept with the boss in order to advance their career, any further reference about whom punched, slapped, or hit whom upside the head between 1959 to 2010, any reference about whom slammed whom in any damn body's book which was written before the millenium =

This is an example of baiting. Again, this stifles discussion. I do not believe Ralph wants to play the taliban here, he just wants the stupid arguing to end.

We've heard it all before, we can't do a damn thing about it & besides, how many of us were really there in order to know EXACTLY what happened?

I would say NONE of them! Some of those instigators claim to personally know and communicate with the singers, but closer to the truth would be that the singers have never heard of any of these fanatics. Frankly, I think they'd distance themselves from them, and this message board!

I was in kindergarten in 1967. I do not really care what happened with the Supremes. All I really care about is the music.

soulster
04-10-2012, 10:35 PM
Soulster"

I believe that some of us would like to revisit those days, for me it would be roughly from the end of 2003 through about 2005. But it's not just that the forum is too big, it's just that many of us have learned too much since those virginal days.

A bigger factor is Facebook, as it's the latest craze. Factor in the act that a person on Facebook can discuss whatever they choose to & can also communicate with friends & family members who just aren't into music forums, well, together that's something that has had an effect. That's why it'll never be exactly as it was then, but that doesn't mean that it can't be somewhat close to what it used to be.

I think it pertinent to add that the folks who've been arguing in these threads are not newbies, but have been members of our forum for years.

Strangely enough, contrary to what this thread may lead many to believe, the participants are basically a handful & it's been going on pretty much as far back to what we refer to as "the good old days".

I would say that Ralph should extend the warning to ALL members in ANY thread who choose to insult another forum member, no matter how subtle or veiled, that they will be banned! He thinks we don't need detailed forum rules, but it's clear that we do not have adults in the room. People need clear rules, not guidelines, but rules on how to behave here. That way, there can be no excuse, and no favoritism.

smark21
04-11-2012, 07:55 AM
Thanks for your reply Ralph. So in other words, though you have a voice in whom to pick as a co moderator, you don’t have enough faith or trust in any member here to be your co moderator as you’re afraid you’ll get into arguments and start fighting. And while I can understand your frustration with the Supremes fan wars, it was your choice to log on to here on Easter. If you had given yourself a day off, your holiday would not have been spoiled. You may want to consider giving yourself a day off from time to time, the forum won’t explode into pieces and you’ll be able to enjoy your day.

smark21
04-11-2012, 08:03 AM
Ralph:

Anytime at all. We've been down down pretty rough roads together & you know my opinion of you.

3. Any dragging here of ANYTHING negative which was/is posted by ANY member on Yahoo, Youtube or anywhere else, under the guise of "letting us know how they operate" = Instant Ban

From my perspective, that's merely the equivalent of stalking, which I'm sure we'd all agree isn't a very desirable thing to have to deal with.

And finally....

INSTANT BAN!

That would pretty much be my criteria for moderating those threads.

Your dedication to freedom of expression is admirable JuiceFree.

grapevine
04-11-2012, 08:39 AM
...I normally go straight to the Motown Forum ...just hit the SDF button and found this ...as most ...if not all ...Supremes threads are in the Motown Forum ...perhaps you should mention this there too Ralph ...looking forward to a calmer Motown Forum soon...! :)

ralpht
04-11-2012, 09:58 AM
Smark,
All that you mention in your last post is exactly how I intend to do things. As far as additional moderators, I would still like to depend on notifications from members if they notice a problem.

soulster
04-11-2012, 11:14 AM
Thanks for your reply Ralph. So in other words, though you have a voice in whom to pick as a co moderator, you don’t have enough faith or trust in any member here to be your co moderator as you’re afraid you’ll get into arguments and start fighting. And while I can understand your frustration with the Supremes fan wars, it was your choice to log on to here on Easter. If you had given yourself a day off, your holiday would not have been spoiled. You may want to consider giving yourself a day off from time to time, the forum won’t explode into pieces and you’ll be able to enjoy your day.

Well, why did YOU log on Easter Sunday?

I notice you keep harping on this. Again, Ralph is the mod. He can log on any time he wishes just as you can. If you don't want him to see your part in these Supremes threads, don't post in them when they go bad.

ralpht
04-11-2012, 11:23 AM
I logged in on Sunday because that is what I do every day. In spite of the time to time hassles, I love SD and the members that I have become friends with over the years. I realize the forum has become much too big for mew to read all of it, but, like the rest of you, I am a fan of the music and the era that I spent all of my younger days being an active part of.

arrr&bee
04-11-2012, 11:40 AM
Shut it down and nail it shut[i got some nails here someplace].

soulster
04-11-2012, 11:56 AM
I say that from this point forward, anytime anyone on any thread attacks another member, no matter how veiled, should get banished to the cornfield with the note "You're a bad man [[or woman), you're a very bad man!" It should not matter if it's a newbie, Supremes fan, or longtime friend, or foe.

bankhousedave
04-11-2012, 04:14 PM
Ralph:

Diana, Flo and Mary were three friends that brought a lot of joy into the world. A lot of people miss the music. They just don't get it. They go on about all kinds of stuff, but don't even realise what the people they're talking about actually did. If it was just about personalities and frocks, you and I would never have to work again. We should live long enough to sleep our way to the top. But some of us are still making music. You are, anyway; I'm still sleeping and it's not looking good this lifetime.

ralpht
04-11-2012, 04:27 PM
You lay it out there the way it is, Dave. My major flaw is I'm still making music. Sleep is sounding better everyday.

soulster
04-11-2012, 04:51 PM
I wish I was making music!

ralpht
04-11-2012, 05:07 PM
Soul,
In reality, there is nothing quite like the process. A real buzz. But it comes with a very big price. I guess what it boils down to is, how long do you want to pay the price.

Shaqueetha_Jackson
04-11-2012, 05:34 PM
I sorry I dont uunderstsnd are we not allow to talk about the Suprems any more

soulster
04-11-2012, 05:47 PM
Soul,
In reality, there is nothing quite like the process. A real buzz. But it comes with a very big price. I guess what it boils down to is, how long do you want to pay the price.

I used to play, and now I am more interested in production, particularly mastering. Problem is that i'm getting too old to get into the mastering business. They don't want old farts. I have done a little small-time mixing.

soulster
04-11-2012, 05:49 PM
I sorry I dont uunderstsnd are we not allow to talk about the Suprems any more

We are not allowed to ARGUE about the Supremes. I'm thinking that Ralph is so steamed about it that he probably doesn't even want to see new threads about them, or anyone related to them, at least for a while. Main thing is, he's sick of the stupid cat-fighting and baiting.

rod_rick
04-11-2012, 05:52 PM
Hey Ralph I for one enjoy The supreme threads I just hate the bickering. I say, one warning to the offender and then out they go. It's so said that there is someone putting one member down to lift up another. Someone started a thread on Cindy Birdsong that's been going pretty well right now I just hope it stay that way.

ralpht
04-11-2012, 06:12 PM
Soul,
Its a drag getting old and turned out to pasture. I wish you good luck.

ralpht
04-11-2012, 06:21 PM
I'm all for a good Supremes thread. I'm not banning Supreme conversation. I simply don't want to happen, what usually always happens with these subjects.
It would be a drag for me to have to zap an entire thread as a result of one pin-head, but if I don't there are ramifications on the other side, lamenting the slow demise of SD forum. And there is a lot of truth in that concern. We have been blessed to have some very interesting individuals drift through here, and I know, I have lost some of these because of some of the stupidity that was going on here from time to time.

I miss many of those people, and if getting a little more aggressive with BS, will possibly bring some of them back, then that is what I must do. It is all rather quite simple, but seemingly so unnecessary.

soulster
04-11-2012, 06:39 PM
No one wants to come here and see nothing but Supremes/Diana Ross threads all day long. It's probably fine for the Supremes fanatics, but not for everyone else who doesn't care as much about them.

I've even started a Diana Ross or Supremes thread with a different angle. One guy did start something on one of them, but at least it wasn't ruined by the bickering the we usually see.

Roberta75
04-11-2012, 07:05 PM
I'm all for a good Supremes thread. I'm not banning Supreme conversation. I simply don't want to happen, what usually always happens with these subjects.
It would be a drag for me to have to zap an entire thread as a result of one pin-head, but if I don't there are ramifications on the other side, lamenting the slow demise of SD forum. And there is a lot of truth in that concern. We have been blessed to have some very interesting individuals drift through here, and I know, I have lost some of these because of some of the stupidity that was going on here from time to time.

I miss many of those people, and if getting a little more aggressive with BS, will possibly bring some of them back, then that is what I must do. It is all rather quite simple, but seemingly so unnecessary.

Everyone must understand that civility and respect cost nothing. You'll actually feel spiritually enriched if you practice both.

Fondly,

Roberta

BayouMotownMan
04-11-2012, 07:22 PM
I'm glad to read this Ralph as we have been begging for more intervention. In the early days of SDF this sort of thing didn't happen and it was refreshing to come here and share ideas, knowledge and release info.

One can express an opinion without using profanity and name calling.

smark21
04-11-2012, 08:15 PM
I logged on Easter because I don’t allow the posts on this forum the power to ruin my day. Of course I’m just a member and don’t have the responsibility of moderating this place.
In recent weeks Ralph has put up several posts expressing anger and frustration with certain aspects of moderating this forum. That’s why I’m curious on a day he’s set aside to enjoy with family and friends that he would log on and take the chance that something might be happening to put a damper on his day. I find when a situation is aggravating me that it’s wise to take a mental health day and take a day off from the situation.
Ralph I get that the good part of coming here is an opportunity to interact with friends and discuss the music you love and you had a hand in making. But you have made some posts expressing anger and frustration and sometimes it does a body well to take a day or two off. Time lends perspective.

ralpht
04-11-2012, 10:24 PM
How about, its my responsibility, Smark. And it is something I want to do.

smark21
04-12-2012, 07:49 AM
That’s fine Ralph. But then you owe it to yourself not to complain and lash out if a special day is ruined because you come on here and you have to deal with some nonsense.

ralpht
04-12-2012, 09:33 AM
What difference would it make, Smark. If trouble is going on and I don't check the forum, I'm bound to hear about it from someone, so I check things out. Goes with the territory.

soulster
04-12-2012, 09:41 AM
That’s fine Ralph. But then you owe it to yourself not to complain and lash out if a special day is ruined because you come on here and you have to deal with some nonsense.

And, you owe it to yourself not to post on those violate threads.

jillfoster
04-12-2012, 01:05 PM

Soulster, he loves to post on the volatile threads, because he presides over a yahoo group that exists primarily to disparage everyone on this board, including you.

ralpht
04-12-2012, 01:51 PM
I belong to a Yahoo group?????????

Hotspurman
04-12-2012, 01:59 PM
I think the comment was aimed at Smark, not you Ralph!

jillfoster
04-12-2012, 02:10 PM
I think the comment was aimed at Smark, not you Ralph!

It certainly was aimed at Smark.

ralpht
04-12-2012, 02:12 PM
Oh, okay. But lets not allow this thread to turn sour.

04-12-2012, 02:16 PM
I logged on Easter because I don’t allow the posts on this forum the power to ruin my day.I don't get it. How would not logging on ruin your day?

ralpht
04-12-2012, 02:34 PM
I had a funny thought. What if this thread went bad and I had to delete it. Now THAT would be ironical!

04-12-2012, 02:48 PM
the only survivors of a nuclear war will be cockroaches & supremes fans:eek:

ralpht
04-12-2012, 02:51 PM
And they will outlast the roaches, I'm afraid.

Hotspurman
04-12-2012, 02:53 PM
I had a funny thought. What if this thread went bad and I had to delete it. Now THAT would be ironical!

Even worse - if you were responsible for it going bad, you'd have to ban yourself!

tamla617
04-12-2012, 03:45 PM

got my vote ralph.i can respect [[i can really!)another point of view,i can disagree with an opinion.but i cant "be doing" with out and out nasty,offensive remarks,written by people hiding behind a keyboard.its all about people giving themselves a lonely pat on the back for some remark that they hope has "injured" a member of this forum [[and probably targeted at specific individuals) which is the whole point of 99% of the DRAT threads and absolutely nothing to do with a discusion on the thread title.keeps the pot boiling and makes some sorry individual very happy!

soulster
04-12-2012, 04:02 PM
Looks like i'll have to add another person to my ignore list.

carlo
04-12-2012, 04:03 PM
the only survivors of a nuclear war will be cockroaches & supremes fans:eek:

...and Cher! :)

ralpht
04-12-2012, 04:32 PM
Oh yeah. Sorry Carlo, I forgot. Yeah, Cher.

ralpht
04-12-2012, 04:34 PM
Hotspurman,
I never thought about that, but you are absolutely correct.

edafan
04-12-2012, 08:14 PM
Ralph

You have my vote on whatever you decide.

Don't let the nabobs of negativism get to you.

edafan

soulster
04-12-2012, 09:24 PM
Oh yeah. Sorry Carlo, I forgot. Yeah, Cher.

Cher? I never heard of hardcore Cher fans.

smark21
04-12-2012, 09:49 PM
Soulster, he loves to post on the volatile threads, because he presides over a yahoo group that exists primarily to disparage everyone on this board, including you.

That’s true. By the way Jill, you haven’t posted in our group in a while. I believe you’re in the group as Martika Candelabra? Why don’t you post again? It’s been a while since you mixed it up over there.

ralpht
04-12-2012, 09:50 PM
I'm working on it edafan.

smark21
04-12-2012, 09:52 PM

I think I’m now on his now rather vast Ignore list, but I’ll ask anyway. Soulster, do you have ambitions to become a moderator here? I have a hunch that you do.

ralpht
04-12-2012, 10:59 PM
Smark,
Leave it alone, please.

soulster
04-13-2012, 01:18 AM
Ralph, sometimes the only way to deal with some people is to not deal with them at all, and that means to use the ignore feature.

smark21
04-13-2012, 07:42 AM
I think I’ve said more than enough on this thread. Case closed here. Have a good weekend.

nosey
04-13-2012, 09:34 AM
Ralph, this is one less poster you have to worry about. I've respected your "house" from the door and will continue to do so. I rarely go into those threads and had no idea of the animus that goes on in them. With or without the Supremes, my world will continue to spin. Good luck!

ralpht
04-13-2012, 09:42 AM
Hey Nosey,
If there ever was anyone that I never worry about, it is you. You are a gem.

paladin
04-13-2012, 10:09 AM
Ralph, this is one less poster you have to worry about. I've respected your "house" from the door and will continue to do so. I rarely go into those threads and had no idea of the animus that goes on in them. With or without the Supremes, my world will continue to spin. Good luck!

Nosey is right, so have I and many others......Ralph I hope you make your decision soon and take whatever action necessary to correct this continuous problem. The necessity of this thread speaks for itself. Some of the replies you've received are indicative of how widespread this problem actually is. There are people who question your actions and we all know the computer identities of those who partake in this behavior. We also know that there are members with hidden agendas who enjoy and employ various measures to attack and disrupt. You cant please everyone, but something must be done, quickly and efficiently. Enough is enough. Even this thread will head south until and unless something is done. You mentioned the word "responsible", in truth that's asking a lot from the general population but its necessary, rules have already been established to govern behavior, enforce them as you see fit. You are the Roger Goodell of SDF, and like you said the responsibility is yours.

You've posted the notice and now we know, the rest is up to us. Personally I'd begin by closing this thread. Onward.........

soulster
04-13-2012, 10:22 AM
I agree. Close this thread before it becomes a playground for the disruptive elements and they get themselves banned. It's set: attack another member and you're out!

ralpht
04-13-2012, 10:48 AM
Paladin and Soulster,
I agree. It is time to close this thread to further posting. I think enough has been said on the subject and further posting could very well deteriorate the threads positive content. From what I can gather about all of this is responsible forum members are tired of the senseless bickering that arises from time to time over basically nothing. So, thank you one and all for your opinions. This thread is closed.