View Full Version : Diana Ross Outtake - "It'll be alright on the night"

test

theboyfromxtown
04-08-2012, 01:15 PM
I can't help smiling when I watch this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqLry6HvQNI&feature=relmfu

R. Mark Desjardins
04-08-2012, 03:17 PM
John, thanks for posting this. This is so cool. Diana shaking her hair like that brought back a memory of when I saw her in Toronto during the first leg of her current tour in late May of 2010. A friend, Eric, who had been the President of the Supremes Canadian Fan Club back in 1967 and I saw the group at Expo '67 in Montreal. I was thrilled to be seeing Diana again with Eric some 43 [[!!!) years later. Imagine my surprise when we got to our seats on the side balcony and noticed that we were seated somewhat behind the makeshift stage curtain. As Roy Thompsom Hall is for symphonies, there was no real "curtain", so a temporary one was installed, which fell down and was pulled away for Diana's performance.
From our vantage point, we saw the band members walk on stage and tune up. I noticed there was an "elevator shaft" that led up to a built up stage and a staircase leading down. As the opening music started up, I saw a hand at the bottom of the elevator shaft madly fluffing up a mass on hair, and it suddenly hit me that it was Diana giving herself a final primping!
How a mid 60's woman can whip up such frenzy in her fans by such a simple gesture speaks volumes about the allure and magic that Diana Ross can still inspire! Now if only she would go back into the recording studio and really let loose! Thanks for posting this rare peek into our favorite sister from Detroit!

theboyfromxtown
04-08-2012, 04:14 PM
Mark

I'm pleased it brought back some happy memories for you.

luke
04-08-2012, 04:49 PM
Just fyi I posted this last week.

theboyfromxtown
04-08-2012, 04:54 PM
My apologies Luke, I didn't see it. Can you post the title of the thread here so that folks can then divert to the earlier post. Many thanks and once again, sorry about my duplicate posting.

simplysupreme
04-08-2012, 07:50 PM
Great memories, R. Mark!
Nothing to apologize for boyfromxtown. This is the thread that got people's attention. Thanks for posting!

theboyfromxtown
04-09-2012, 05:32 AM
Thanks SS. This was one thread that I genuinely missed first time around.

The clip showed a certain vulnerability that I found quite heart warming. I was routing for Diana to get it right but sympathising when she got it wrong! I can only assume that the next take was the final one. *smile*

captainjames
04-09-2012, 08:32 AM
Thanks
John ~~~~~~~
Loved it

BabyLuv64
04-09-2012, 04:32 PM
This is cute.

lakedistrictlad1
04-10-2012, 04:49 AM
If ever we needed proof that she is not the hissy-fit 'call me Miss Ross' Madam that her knockers like to make out - then this is it. This is behind the scenes, and never intended for the public to see - yet she is polite and charming throughout.

I have just fallen in love with her all over again.

theboyfromxtown
04-10-2012, 05:36 AM
Phil

Check this one out too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wi1sN_tmVec&feature=related

carlo
04-10-2012, 10:55 AM
If ever we needed proof that she is not the hissy-fit 'call me Miss Ross' Madam that her knockers like to make out - then this is it. This is behind the scenes, and never intended for the public to see - yet she is polite and charming throughout.

I heard the video cuts out at the end because she get's mad and throws the video camera on the floor.

... ;) Just kidding!

1382hitsville
04-10-2012, 01:48 PM
John,

Thanks for sharing the footage of Amsterdam. This is the first time I ever saw it.

From Diana's biography: "March 29 1976, performs the Academy Award nominated song live via satellite from Holland for the Oscar telecast. This stunning performance is the first of its kind for the Academy Awards broadcast."

captainjames
04-10-2012, 01:54 PM
Aww she seems so timid and vunerable
again I loved it loved it loved it

R. Mark Desjardins
04-10-2012, 02:44 PM
What a charmed life Diana Ross has led, being loved the world over. I've never seen this video clip before, although I've heard about it many times. Diana Ross is a HUGE draw in Europe, but then haven't Europeans always been urbane and sophisticated in their tastes? Thank you for posting this John!

rovereab
04-10-2012, 02:46 PM

I have just fallen in love with her all over again.

I agree with this. But in any case, even if Diana did stress out from time to time I would find it understandable given all the pressure she was/is under. I can't imagine how stressful the build up to live performances must be, even if you are an accomplished performer, with your fans expecting nothing but the best [[which I am sure is given in most instances).

theboyfromxtown
04-10-2012, 05:43 PM
Glad you guys liked it. Once upon a time, these clips were unheard of. I guess we have to be thankful for the computer age...even if I sometimes do it through "gritted teeth". LOL

lakedistrictlad1
04-11-2012, 10:55 AM
Wow....that lady was 'striking a pose' when Madonna was still in her pram!

I can even forgive her for wearing half a hundred weight of furry animals.

Thanks for posting this John. It's not often we see footage of her from the mid 70's.

jobeterob
04-11-2012, 10:19 PM
One of the most interesting Ross videos I've ever seen.

It had never crossed my mind that she wore underwear.