PDA

View Full Version : Tony Newton credits

test

bankhousedave
04-06-2012, 12:53 PM
I mentioned on another thread that I had a list of Tony's credits he gave me some years back. This is only partial list going back to when he played bass [[and saxophone) at a very young age with John Lee Hooker, T-Bone Walker and Little Walter [[1960-63).

He then joined Motown, where he worked as both a staff and touring bassist for The Supremes, Four Tops, Temptations, Marvin Gaye, Stevie Wonder, The Spinners, Martha & The Vandellas and The Miracles - for the last three of which he was also Musical Director. He was also the bassist on the Motortown Revue that toured Europe in 65.

In 1970 he moved to Hot Wax/Invictus, where he was leader/producer/composer and bass player for 8th Day, and staff bassist with Want Ads, Honey Cone, Freda Payne, 100% Proof and others.

In the late 70s he worked with Aretha Franklin [[Mr DJ LP and Carnegie Hall concert), Little Richard [[King of Rock and Roll), Mamas and Papas [[People Like Us album) Hugh Masakela and Michael Jackson/Jackson Five - I'll Be There, ABC.

In 1980 he teamed up with Gary Moore - producer, songwriter, bass and keyboards - for G-Force, played bass on the soundtracks of An Officer and a Gentleman and Breathless, worked as Thelma Houston's concert MD, and continues to busy on music projects of all kinds, from a Motown celebration band to heavy rock enesmbles, jazz groups and even a rock opera.

Among tracks he played on are:

Stop in the Name of Love
Baby Love
Where Did Our Love Go? - Supremes

Tears of a Clown [[original)
Abraham, Martin and John
Smokey Robinson and The Miracles Live

People Like Us
Step Out - Mamas and Papas

You - Aretha Franklin

More Than Happy
Ain't No Love - Stevie

ABC
I'll Be There - Jackson Five

Perfect Combination - Donny and Marie

Just Being Myself - Dionne Warwick

Nowhere to Run - Martha and The Vandellas

I Do Love You
So Long City - Paul Anka

The Love We Had - The Dells

I Feel a Song - Gladys Knight and The Pips

Houseparty - The Temptations

Contact - Freda Payne

Out There on My Own
Fish Ain't Bitin' - Lamont Dozier

King of Rock and Roll - Little Richard

What You See Is What You Get - Dramatics

She's Not Just Another Woman - Eighth Day

Want Ads - The Honeycomb

Everything Good is Bad - 100% Proof
Believe It
Million Dollar Legs - Tony Williams Lifetime

G-Force - G-Force with Gary Moore

Tony has recorded and/or toured as musical director with:

Marvin Gaye
Thelma Houston
Ray Charles
Jack Nitsche
Jimmy Lovine
Isaac Hayes
Holland Dozier Holland
Burt Bacharach
Gene Page

and many others...

jsmith
04-06-2012, 03:21 PM
Much of the 'Motown touring musician' info seems to be lost in the mists of time.
Choker Campbell led the Motortown Review Orchestras from 1962 thru to 1966/67 but who were the players he led is not usually documented [[Mary Wilson lists some in her book as she used to fratenise with them on the tour bus [[even though she was told not to).
When DR & the Supremes were being 'groomed' for bigger things [[1966 to 68), the group just about always toured with dedicated Motown musicians as back up. I know I have a few ads where the EVD Orchestra were backing up the group.
No doubt, the likes of Tony was a regular in such ensembles.

bankhousedave
04-06-2012, 03:32 PM
Thee's a quote from Diana somewhere where she says she always asked for Earl, bu it became more difficult to get him later on. Dave Van De Pitte told me that the staffers and road musicians were generally very separate, and operated independently.

Roger Polhill
04-06-2012, 05:02 PM
I guess that it is Tony playing on "Philly Dog" as he is a credited composer.

MIKEW-UK
04-06-2012, 07:37 PM
I particularly associated Tony Newton with Invictus recordings, but he was a prolific recording musician across many genres.

For further details, refer to his Youtube channel - and go though the sections on Motown, Invictus etc.

http://www.youtube.com/user/TonyNewtonHistoric

He also has a new book, a new record and a new film

http://www.tonynewtongoldthunder.com/