PDA

View Full Version : Ron Murphy cut; 1976

test

jsmith
09-09-2010, 03:03 AM
Anyone here know the details about this acetate track [[recently sold on ebay) ....

Would Soundlab have been the recording studio or the place where the acetate was cut ??
Who owned / ran D.S.S.I Records ??
I guess it wouldn't be Ron himself providing the vocals on this demo ??

robb_k
09-09-2010, 01:02 PM
Anyone here know the details about this acetate track [[recently sold on ebay) ....

Would Soundlab have been the recording studio or the place where the acetate was cut ??
Who owned / ran D.S.S.I Records ??
I guess it wouldn't be Ron himself providing the vocals on this demo ??

The singer was reported as Jimmy Delphs. But the singer's voice is a lot smoother than Jimmy's normal voice. i didn't hear that rough edge he normally has. But it COULD be him.

Ron Murphy produced it and cut it. Logic tells us that that acetate was cut at Soundlab. Maybe recorded there too [[but no way to know for sure)? I also wonder who owned DSSI Records, and if Ron was a co-owner.

robb_k
09-09-2010, 01:16 PM
J. - Brit NS collector, Mal C., won it on auction. The person who auctioned it [[seller-"North End Records") was the one who said it is Jimmy Delphs. Nothing on the record indicates that. Do you know him? Have you heard it? It's a very nice '70s sound. Mal gave this information on SoulTalk Forum [[of which, you are a member). You should ask him what he knows and where he got the information. He wrote that he could find no info on a Soundlab recording studio in Detroit. The address now has an auto audio shop there.

robb_k
09-09-2010, 01:24 PM
1169You can listen to sound clips of it HERE:

http://cgi.ebay.com/...IT#ht_500wt_928 [[http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150485055489&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT#ht_500wt_928)

robb_k
09-10-2010, 08:19 PM
J- Mal C. is Mal Collins. He's going to get back in touch with the seller. He also thinks that the singer is NOT Jimmy Delphs. Jimmy Delphs was the only singer that he knows had a release on DSSI. On that list of Ron Murphy productions we saw on SDF a few years back, there was NO listing of a DSSI production. So Ron may have just done the mastering or the sound engineering and the mastering. He probably didn't produce the session. I'm curious to find out who the singer is. Hi is very good.

davie gordon2
09-11-2010, 08:12 AM
here's the D.S.S.I. issue by Jimmy Delphs which I take to be a 1977 release

Perhaps the 1976 acetate was a songwriter demo and the singer is either George Mallory or Duane Freeman. I've had a look at the BMI listings for both of them but I can't say I recognise any of their other titles.

jsmith
09-11-2010, 01:21 PM
Thanks for the info & label scan.
Guess we will never now know what Ron's exact involement was now.