PDA

View Full Version : The Originals Have Their Own Thread

test

nabob
04-01-2012, 05:40 PM
Since the Originals were booted from the David Ruffin thread, this is for anyone who would like to discuss the Originals. The first three are the lucky ones of their eight studio albums that have been released in CD format:4689 4690
4691 4692
Two compilations, one British and one domestic have been released on CD format.
4693 4694
4695 4696
4697 4698
We are still waiting on the previous five albums, if they are ever released.
Naturally Together is by far my favorite with its great covers of I Wake Up Crying, My World is Empty Without You and Rainy Night In Georgia. The ballads, including We Can Make It Baby and God Bless Whoever Sent You are superb. Although the album was not commercially viable, many of the cuts were heard on FM radio in the Bay Area [before formatted radio became the rule]. This I would really love to have as an official CD release to replace the CD-R.

snakepit
04-01-2012, 05:46 PM
I sincerely hope that Motown/UMG get around to issuing the LPs on this fabulous group. Something along the Eddie kendricks/David Ruffin sets would be ideal.
I love them all ......reservations about some tracks on/after "Communique".......the mid 70s disco era......too long !!!!!
But there are many gems on their albums.
Well done Nabob for supporting this wonderful group.

johnny_raven
04-01-2012, 10:35 PM

Their 1981 LP "Yesterday and Today" on Phase II Records was also released on CD ...

blkfrost
04-02-2012, 01:50 PM
Glad to see a thread on The Originals. Besides the well know tunes from the early days, I really enjoy "Sunrise", "Touch", "It's So Real" from there later Motown albums. Would be great to have all of their albums released on CD. Maybe on Big Break Records or Soulmusic.com Records.

soulwally
04-09-2012, 08:17 AM
Long-time favourites of mine, particularly up to the mid-70s [[apart from Down To Love Town, brilliant, brilliant disco).
I'd first heard them at school [[a pal of mine had a UK 45 of the Joe Stubbs-led Good night Irene - wonder if he ever cashed in on it?). Then I bought the first album [[the TMG copy I had was titled Green Grow The Lilacs - wonder if that ever got changed in the UK?) in a bargain bin.
What struck me was all the different lead voices [[the Tempts 'switch off' leads had always thrilled me). I've always liked the Originals for that, although I've to admit on some of the later albums the use of four leads on one song could be overdone.
However it does remain that in CP Spencer and Hank Dixon they had two of the most distinctive leads at Motown. And isn't it great to spot them on back-up vocals too? What Becomes of the Brokenhearted.. a lot of Edwin Starr and David Ruffin solo tracks.

theboyfromxtown
04-09-2012, 09:33 AM
The wonderful Shorty Long ACE album has the Originals on many of the tracks.

I remember the Originals performing at Manchester and particularly when Hank Dixon sung his first solo. It was ELECTRIC! The audience ROARED their approval. It brought tears to my eyes.

Kamasu_Jr
04-09-2012, 10:20 AM
You Brits really champion Motown's underdogs.

theboyfromxtown
04-09-2012, 10:56 AM
We're pretty lucky like that. We've had the opportunity to see many of those Motown acts that were not showcased during the heyday.

And I'm still pretty hopeful we'll see the Monitors! LOL

soulwally
04-09-2012, 11:32 AM
what... with Richard Street back out in front? Wow.
Wasn't that Originals appearance for Richard Searling's birthday? I wished I could have been there.
I remember reading in a UK soul mag after the gig how people were blown away by Hank. I think it was mainly because many thought the Originals as Freddie Gorman, and the others. That's certainly how Blues and Soul mag painted them back in the 70s.
It won't have come as any surprise to you though, John!
I still have the B&S with the first piece I ever read about the guys. Presumably it was a Motown press release. It said, on the back of the albeit limited success of Green Grow The Lilacs [[of course this was before Baby I'm For Real) they were being marketed as a Fifth Dimension-type act!
As for Love Town, I was being traipsed round the clothes shops of Ibiza Town 2 or 3 years back by my lovely wife when it suddenly boomed out of the speakers, mixed in with all the customary Balearic bouncers. Magic!

theboyfromxtown
04-09-2012, 12:04 PM
Soulwally.

It would probably only be Richard Street if the Monitors did come over here. I'd go and see him and I know that Cal Street would want me to support him too! HA

And yes it was the famous visit by the Originals for Richard Searling's birthday. By that time, CP Spencer was replaced by Hank's daughter [[I think), called Terri. The group started off singing together with Terri having a few lines solo...but then when Hank took his first solo line - the audience just ROARED with approval. It was crazy. You had to be there to believe it. It was emotional to say the least. A professional audio recording of that concert was made.

soulwally
04-09-2012, 12:42 PM
The last [[as in latest) clip I saw of them on youtube had the Originals performing outdoors somewhere with Hank and Terri, plus Gene Chandler's son and, if I remember rightly, Freddie Gorman's son.
There's also around on youtube [[the clip seems to come and go) a PBS concert featuring Baby I'm For Real. I find it very poignant with Freddie, a frail-looking Walter, Henry and Terri performing a stunning version of their signature song.

soulwally
04-09-2012, 12:47 PM
Here's the PBS performance:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qe9tcujDKSY

...and with the 'new guys' [[I've only just found this)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZSHe3d0KtA&feature=related

theboyfromxtown
04-09-2012, 01:21 PM
Well done soulwally

I enjoyed those clips. Not seen them before.

reese
04-09-2012, 02:07 PM
I saw this clip a while back, and thought it was cool.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dcHGP8_9p0

theboyfromxtown
04-09-2012, 02:52 PM
I find it interesting to see where the individual members stand on stage. With the Velvelettes, it's always Bertha, Norma, Milly and then Cal.

In the older Originals clip...we have CP, Hank, Walter and Freddie. But in the PBS clip, it was Freddie, Walter, Terri [[CP) and Hank. Notice in the PBS clip how the crowd reacts to Hank. It was exactly like that when they played Manchester

nosey
04-10-2012, 03:40 PM
I loved Hank's booming voice especially when it's his turn on Baby I'm For Real. CP had to leave the group a second time because he had an incurable hearing loss problem.

theboyfromxtown
04-10-2012, 05:50 PM
Nosey

That must have devastated CP and I can't even begin to think about how that must have upset him. Even as a fan, to have the one thing that keeps me going, taken away from me.....it's just the worse that could happen to me.

I met CP at the Women of Motown gala a few years ago. He was very approachable and a joy to talk to. When the Originals performed in Manchester, the audience was very much aware of CP, even if he wasn't there performing that night.

nosey
04-11-2012, 11:24 AM
theboyfromxcrosstown, it was quite devastating and from what I was told by a close family member [[an extremely reliable source), his departure from the group was not a nice one. He didn't want to leave but I can see their side: if you can't hear, you can't sing in the right key. I did see and speak to Freddie & Hank at his funeral.

blkfrost
04-18-2012, 07:50 PM
Just listening to The Originals on my playlist... "You're The One" and "I'll Wait For You". Very underrated group.

snakepit
04-20-2012, 09:59 AM
Long-time favourites of mine, particularly up to the mid-70s [[apart from Down To Love Town, brilliant, brilliant disco).
I'd first heard them at school [[a pal of mine had a UK 45 of the Joe Stubbs-led Good night Irene - wonder if he ever cashed in on it?). Then I bought the first album [[the TMG copy I had was titled Green Grow The Lilacs - wonder if that ever got changed in the UK?) in a bargain bin.
What struck me was all the different lead voices [[the Tempts 'switch off' leads had always thrilled me). I've always liked the Originals for that, although I've to admit on some of the later albums the use of four leads on one song could be overdone.
However it does remain that in CP Spencer and Hank Dixon they had two of the most distinctive leads at Motown. And isn't it great to spot them on back-up vocals too? What Becomes of the Brokenhearted.. a lot of Edwin Starr and David Ruffin solo tracks.

I too enjoy "Original" spotting on other artists tracks. That's what always gets me going when "lesser" known artists/tracks are slighted for not being "hits".........they contain great writers, producers, arrangers , Motown musicians , lead singers AND the Originals on many tracks........but it's all "sub-standard" because it, for any number of reasons, it wasn't promoted.
Listen to Jimmy Ruffin and Chuck Jackson albums to spot some great Originals work.

marv2
04-20-2012, 02:35 PM
what... with Richard Street back out in front? Wow.
Wasn't that Originals appearance for Richard Searling's birthday? I wished I could have been there.
I remember reading in a UK soul mag after the gig how people were blown away by Hank. I think it was mainly because many thought the Originals as Freddie Gorman, and the others. That's certainly how Blues and Soul mag painted them back in the 70s.
It won't have come as any surprise to you though, John!
I still have the B&S with the first piece I ever read about the guys. Presumably it was a Motown press release. It said, on the back of the albeit limited success of Green Grow The Lilacs [[of course this was before Baby I'm For Real) they were being marketed as a Fifth Dimension-type act!
As for Love Town, I was being traipsed round the clothes shops of Ibiza Town 2 or 3 years back by my lovely wife when it suddenly boomed out of the speakers, mixed in with all the customary Balearic bouncers. Magic!

Soulwally, what did you mean by Richard Street back out front?

soulwally
04-20-2012, 05:25 PM
Marv: I'm meaning because Richard seems busy with his 'version' of the Temptations. As far as I know, he hasn't sung with the Monitors since the Sixties. The 'Fence around my heart' Monitors had nothing to do with him, I believe.
I like Richard's voice, and when I saw him during his Temptations tenure, he was a real personality on stage.

marv2
04-20-2012, 05:38 PM
Marv: I'm meaning because Richard seems busy with his 'version' of the Temptations. As far as I know, he hasn't sung with the Monitors since the Sixties. The 'Fence around my heart' Monitors had nothing to do with him, I believe.
I like Richard's voice, and when I saw him during his Temptations tenure, he was a real personality on stage.

Oh ok I gotcha! He hasn't [[sang a note with the Monitors since the 60's). I spoke with Warren of the Monitors and his daughter way back when I was still in Detroit. Richards's group of "Temptations" aren't too bad [[ I like them better than Glen Carl Leonard's group LOL!). They play mostly overseas. Richard Street had a very nice voice indeed. He is a natural born showman. I went to high school with several of his cousins.

Thank you Soulwally for responding.

Marv