PDA

View Full Version : Robbie Montgomery: Ikette......Supreme?

test

marybrewster
03-29-2012, 01:14 PM
http://www.oprah.com/own-sweetie-pies/Welcome-to-Sweetie-Pies-Miss-Robbie-Montgomery

Miss Robbie Montgomery is the owner and resident matriarch of Sweetie Pie's and Sweetie Pie's at the Mangrove, the nationally acclaimed soul food restaurants she founded in her hometown of St. Louis, MO. Known for her made-from-scratch favorites like macaroni & cheese, smothered pork, baked chicken and peach cobbler, Miss Robbie’s restaurants have attracted a popular following among both local St. Louis residents and celebrities alike. Prior to running her own restaurants, Miss Robbie toured the U.S. singing backup for Ike and Tina Turner during the 1960s. Her stint as an Ikette launched a singing career that spanned over 20 years, including gigs as a background singer for The Supremes, Stevie Wonder, James Brown, Pattie LaBelle and The Rolling Stones, among others. Because finding a welcoming restaurant could be difficult for African-Americans during the '60s, Miss Robbie often ended up cooking for the group while on the road, honing her mother's recipes along the way.

When a collapsed lung ended Miss Robbie's singing career, she returned to St. Louis to reinvent herself utilizing her other formidable talent -- as a cook. With the help of her son Tim, she opened the first Sweetie Pie's in 1996. Eight years later, her second location, Sweetie Pie's at the Mangrove, opened its doors as well.

Now 71, Miss Robbie is only picking up speed with plans for her biggest and most ambitious endeavor yet -- Sweetie Pie's: The Upper Crust. At this location, she hopes to fulfill her lifelong dream of opening a restaurant, banquet hall, cooking school and performing arts space in one. While she awaits approval on a business loan, Miss Robbie remains devoted to both her other Sweetie Pie's locations and serving her community. Active in charity outreach programs, Miss Robbie helps provide job training to formerly incarcerated men and women and food to those in need.

randy_russi
03-29-2012, 02:40 PM
Thanks for sharing that. I did hear about this as my brother either saw it on TV or on a youtube entry about Robbie's
restaurants.

Nedra Talley Ross of the Ronettes was also famous for cooking for everyone on tour back in the '60s and she
eventually owned a few restaurants herself.

motony
03-29-2012, 02:45 PM
Miss Robbie was an Ikette for quite a while.She & Tina are still friends. You can see Robbie on youtube performing "Peaches & Cream" & "Camel Walk" from Shindig.That grouping of the Ikettes quit as a group when Ike sent another group out as the Ikettes on a Dick Clark tour.Tinas sister, Aileen became their manager & they had to change their name to the Mirettes.Robbie Montgomery became a background session singer in La. until she went on the road with Dr. John in early 70's. I did not know that she sang background on some Supremes sessions. Musta been that Jimmy Webb lp. I love Sweetie Pies and can't wait for the new season to start this Sat. night.

uptight
03-29-2012, 03:50 PM
It doesn't specify whether Ms. Montgomery's background work for stage or for studio. Did The Supremes in the 1970s have background singers in their live act?

luke
03-29-2012, 03:54 PM
At one point it was stated she sang on Someday WBT but I think we've been through all that.

Kamasu_Jr
03-29-2012, 04:00 PM
I don't know anything about Robbie Montgomery singing for the Supremes, but her friend Clydie King allegedly did on Nathan Jones. Maybe that's what she's referring to. Anyway, it's in the past and I too am looking forward to the new season of Sweetie Pie's. Watching that show makes me hungry.

motony
03-29-2012, 04:41 PM
I'd love to go to St. Louis just to go to Sweetie Pies...but only when Miss Robbie is there.It would have only been studio work. I have one Dr. John LP & Robbie Montgomery is listed as a bg singer on it, but she also did LIVE shows with him.Yes, kamasu, Sweetie Pies will make you hungry !

uptight
03-29-2012, 04:43 PM
Shoot, just the title Sweetie Pies makes me hungry! LOL

Kamasu_Jr
03-29-2012, 05:41 PM
Shoot, just the title Sweetie Pies makes me hungry! LOL

I'd go to Sweetie Pie's next time I'm in St. Louis. But there are several similar restaurants in Memphis that offer the same kind of soul cuisine, so I've got some idea of what the food might be like. I want to watch some of the repeats this Saturday such as the one where Ms. Robbie has a reunion with the Ikettes. I was curious if Tina Turner was still friendly with Ms. Robbie and if she'd eat at her restaurant.

skooldem1
03-29-2012, 05:45 PM
I'd like to see an episode of "Unsung" devoted to the Ikettes.

brother_love
03-30-2012, 01:30 PM
She also recorded with the likes of Van Morrison, Bonnie Raitt, Jose Feliciano, Al Kooper, Bonnie Bramlett and Bryan Ferry. I've never known of her recording with Patti LaBelle.

motony
03-30-2012, 03:23 PM
Kamasu, the one that is Ms. Robbies' 70th[[or71st) B'day bash has former Ikettes Jessie Smith & Joshie Armstead on it. Its great, you will enjoy but they only show them singin 1 song "Proud Mary" which none of them were on.Although I've never been to Memphis, I can just imagine how great the restaurants are, especially Bar B Q.