PDA

View Full Version : Two minute warning: Teddie Morrow "What's Going On"

test

ralpht
03-26-2012, 09:39 AM
CDBaby only offers 29 second snippets of songs. With "What's Going On" I felt it wasn't presenting the song in it's best light. This 2 minute snippet gives a better preview of how good Teddie is. Check it out.

http://minicasts.podomatic.com/play/1952012/3422875

ms_m
03-26-2012, 11:14 AM
Ralph, have you guys thought about doing a video for the song?

ralpht
03-26-2012, 11:18 AM
Yes, I have, MS.M.
The problem is, Teddie is in Arizona and I'm here in California, so we would need to work that one out. However, if interest is shown in this song, and Teddie Morrow in general, I have a wealth of good songs I recorded on Teddie over the years and would probably make arrangements to do some video work on his behalf.

ms_m
03-26-2012, 01:15 PM
I know how that long distance thing can be Ralph. Good luck with the song though. It deserves recognition.

ralpht
03-26-2012, 01:18 PM
Thank you Ms.M. I can certainly use a little help from the DJs here, if that is a possibility.

ms_m
03-26-2012, 01:28 PM
You're welcomed to post it on Ronnie's FB page Ralph. They don't get back to the states until the end of the week and he'll sleep like a log for several days after that....LOL.... so it's relatively quiet for now. Quite a few DJ's hang out there. They're not from terrestrial radio but getting heard is getting heard...you know what I mean?

ralpht
03-26-2012, 01:30 PM
Thank for the offer Ms.M. I believe Ronnie is listed as one of my friends on Facebook. If I'm right, I did a FB posting to all friends regarding this latest snippet and it should be there.

ms_m
03-26-2012, 01:33 PM
Something else I thought about too. You mentioned in your video you were going to release singles on CDBbaby. Why not just put them together and release a full CD. In our demographics it's hard pushing a digital download. Peeps in a certain age bracket don't like them. I do it against my better judgement but since Ronnie has the final say....shrugs....LOL

ralpht
03-26-2012, 01:54 PM
That was my first thought. Ms.M., but was talked out of it with the rationale that downloads were what most wanted these days. Besides, putting a CD album together is expensive, as you are well aware, so single downloads is the way to go. I wouldn't rule out an actual CD in the near future if interest is shown. I am still old school.

ms_m
03-26-2012, 02:07 PM
Yeah I get that same argument too but sometimes the people he's listening to are his grand-kids and downloads are THEIR thing....LOL

When you think about the money putting out a single though Ralph [[the cost you pay to CDBaby), doing one CD full of songs will often prove to be more cost effective. Also, check on the CDbaby page, they have a deal with a company call AirPlay Direct. I lucked out and got the service for free for a year because of a mistake on Cd Baby's part but going through CD baby to sign up will save you money and they reach a large swath of radio stations all over the world. Now you have to do your work in terms of sending the tracks out but AirPlay Direct gives you one place to do it all. You can get a list of stations from the Indie Bible. I still haven't gotten the 2012 edition yet but I will soon and I'll send it to you when I do.

ralpht
03-26-2012, 02:42 PM
Ms.M,
Are you saying make the entire album a download, or have a CD available for those that don't want the download?

ms_m
03-26-2012, 02:50 PM
You pay x amount of dollars for every download you submit to CDBaby. The price to submit a single download is not much UNTIL...you start adding all the singles up and realize, you could have waited and paid for a full CD. With the CD submission, people have the option of getting a digital download or the physical copy. In the end, it's a win/win situation from my perspective.

ralpht
03-26-2012, 02:54 PM
Yes, you are right, except I have to have CDs made and artwork done for the cover. I'm happy to do this if I get enough support and interest.

ms_m
03-26-2012, 03:00 PM
Now that I think about it Ralph, our situation is a little different from yours. We can keep our cost down because Ronnie does a large portion of the production work...since he is also the composer and publisher of 99.9% of his songs, the production cost tend to be a wash. That leaves the cost to press the CDs and some other misc cost but we can usually cover that in the first few weeks of sales....it's after that things start to get slow but always enough for the next project and some pocket change for all involved,so that helps us keep going waiting for the "one"...you know what I mean?

We also do wholesale deals with various record outlets outside of CDbaby and even clubs in certain areas that help the bottom line. I NEVER do consignments though.

ms_m
03-26-2012, 03:03 PM
I bet you can find someone here on SDF that can help you out with your artwork Ralph [[for a discount)....lots of people are into graphic design these days. You have to network and ask around but a lot of your cost can be cut in little ways here and there. Just depends on how you choose to work it.

ralpht
03-26-2012, 03:08 PM
True, Ms.M., but it is still an expense to be incurred. I don't mind as long as I'm getting sales.

ms_m
03-26-2012, 03:16 PM
You've really got to push for the sales Ralph and I don't mean any harm but you can't rely on SDF to do that. You really have to cast a much wider net than what I'm seeing you do. Maybe there's more I don't see, I don't know. I post here because it''s my forum home and there are a few peeps that support Ronnie but I learned a long time ago....SDF is not a major part of his demographics...with the exception of some of the UK folk which support him no matter what.

ralpht
03-26-2012, 03:22 PM
I know Ms. M. I realize SD is not going to give me 100% of the support I need. And I wouldn't want that unless the song warranted it. Its tough being "old school". When I first started producing Smooth, I knew that if I couldn't make a deal with a label, I would have to go this route. I dreaded the thought since I hate doing this sort of thing. I'm a musician. I'm a producer. I simply want to make the music and let someone else sell it. But those days have disappeared. The music business isn't what I once was a part of and knew. Today there IS no music business. WE are the music business. How that sucks.

ms_m
03-26-2012, 03:44 PM
LOL....Ronnie has a rough time with it as well Ralph so I know where you're coming from. You're going to have to find someone like me to help you out....LOL...Not tooting my own horn but what I'm saying, you need someone that's not as invested in the old ways as you are...that not only brings a fresh perspective to the whole thing but frees you up to do your thing. You and or the artist would still need to be more involved but you wouldn't have as much pressure on you.

It takes time and patience as well as money to jump back in there Ralph...hang in there, it gets easier as time goes on.

ralpht
03-26-2012, 03:49 PM
Maybe we should talk, Ms.M.

ms_m
03-26-2012, 03:54 PM
I'm always willing to talk Ralph and will help with anything I can but I have to be honest...I deal with one client these days...that one client is a handful....LOL...Great guy but a handful.:)

ms_m
03-26-2012, 03:57 PM
I should also add, we're moving in another direction with the company as well so that doesn't give me a lot of time for others but I'm always willing to pass on anything that I think will help...all you have to do is ask Ralph.

ralpht
03-26-2012, 04:10 PM
No problem, Ms.M. I understand the "handful".

ms_m
03-26-2012, 04:26 PM
LOL....you old heads can be a trip to deal with Ralph, I love you all madly but lawd love a duck...hahahahaha

It's taken me a minute to come to grips with where you guys are coming from and blending the two ideas hasn't been easy...It's a lot more work and effort than I had imagined when I open my big mouth and suggested this whole thing to Ronnie. In spite of all the hurdles though, it's been a blast so far but one old head is about all I can handle on a daily basis. :)

souldonuts
08-26-2012, 02:55 PM
Hi Ralph still pushing Teddie over here.. jingle on the show everyweek.. have passed the songs to the other dj's on soulsticeradio24.com.. getting some good feedback about his voice...will keep pluggin away
Cheers
Andy

ralpht
08-28-2012, 10:58 AM
Much appreciated, Andy. Thank you.