PDA

View Full Version : Diana At Central Park DVD to be Released In May

test

milven
03-26-2012, 08:50 AM
Shout! Factory releasing legendary concert from legendary singer in May

By: Phillip Sayblack | WNCT

Good Monday morning, everyone. I hope that your week is off to a great start this morning. The weekend was definitely a busy one for me. Between doing yard work, and trying to stay caught up on all these reviews for this week, I stayed quite busy. One of those new releases is one that gets profiled this morning. From Shout! Factory, we have this morning, "Diana Ross: Live in Central Park." This re-mastered concert documents Ross' famed two day concert in Central Park from 1983. The original show was cut short due to a very strong thunderstorm through which Ross still tried to perform. Since the audience stuck with her, she told them and reporters that she intended to make up the show the very next day. And make up the show she did, performing a concert that was without a doubt, a career defining moment for this legendary pop star. So I offer to you this morning dear readers, the brand new upcoming live dvd release from Diana Ross, "Diana Ross: Live in Central Park."

Diana Ross is one of the single greatest talents in the history of modern music. A quick listen through today's top 40 radio stations, and on the likes of VH1 and MTV show that she is still a major influence on mainstream pop music. Even though she's not making a lot of music today, her influence is still felt throughout the industry. And now, fans of both the Supremes and Miss Ross herself will soon see again, why she is one of music's "supreme" stars.

On May 15th, Shout! Factory will release what is arguably one of Diana Ross' career defining moments with her famed two-day concert at New york's Central Park. This concert clearly shows why few, if any, stars can or ever will reach her level. She proved why she didn't need backup dancers or a tape to which she could sing. And unlike so many of today's yougner pop starlets, Ross didn't need to flaunt her body to the extent that today's female stars do. Sure, some of her attire was a little provocative. But it wasn't to the extent of certain female stars in today's music scene. The notes that Ross sang were all her. The music was her. She was the music. And it showed throughout the show.

Ross' music wasn't all that proved why she was such a fan favorite in her time. Her dedication to her fans played just as much of a role as the music itself with this concert. The re-mastered concert does an outstanding job of illustrating the love that Ross had for her fans, and that they gave back tenfold. The footage that precedes the day two show includes snippets of Ross telling reporters of her desire to make up her rained out show the very next day because of the fans' dedication. And she was a woman of her word. The footage from the second day shows the love on both sides of the stage. The shot from the rear of Central Park shows a jam packed park in the shadow of New York City. The sun is shining bright overhead, and the park is packed blow. In comparison to the first day, it's a dramatically different scene, at least in terms of the weather. That single shot from the second day is both beautiful and telling. It shows the anticipation for her making up the rained out show from the day before.

Speaking of that rained out show, that Ross would perform for her fans even in the midst of a storm, lightning and rain all around, showed true dedication to her fans. As one reporter noted in the early portion of the documentation, Ross looked like a sorceress, her hair blowing in the wind, rain pouring over her, thunder and lightning all around her. And again, her fans gave that same dedication in turn by staying as long as she stayed. How many performers today would or even do go to such lengths for fans?

It was that dedication by performer and fan alike that made the day two show so amazing. Ross gave her all with this show, owning the stage during the near two hour long performance. Even owning the stage the whole time, Ross still made the show about her audience rather than herself. She included the audience in everything that she did from the beginning of the show to the end. She fed off of the audience's energy, keeping her energy up nearly the whole time. Though there were some softer moments. From the very moment that she came on-stage with her hit, "I'm Coming Out", the audience roared to life with joy. Her lullaby-esque singing on "Family" is calming and beautiful all at once. And her cover of Billie Holiday's "God Bless The Child" truly showed the span of her vocal abilities. Her rendition of this classic was just as amazing as the original from Lady Day herself. Fans will also love her adaptation of Lionel Richie's "Endless Love" and the Michael Jackson penned, "Muscles." Female audiences especially will love that song, as the cameras pan across the audience showing countless shirtless men posing for the cameras, hoping to get onstage next to Miss Ross.

Whether for the songs listed here, or any others included in this amazing concert, both days documented make for a release that's not just another re-hashed live show released for the sake of being released. "Diana Ross: Live in Central Park" presents one of the greatest names in modern music at one of her greatest moments. It's a welcome release at a time when music desperately needs a shot in the arm. It will take long time fans back to a better day, generating a wonderful sense of nostalgia. And it will introduce a whole new generation to a performer who will always reign [[rain?.....bad joke ba-dump bump bump) "supreme" as music royalty in her own right.

berry101
03-29-2012, 09:01 AM
DVD now listed for pre order release date May 15 . $11.99 both on Amazon.com and c.a

Jimi LaLumia
03-29-2012, 10:32 AM
just placed my pre order on Amazon!...so exciting..

carlo
03-29-2012, 06:52 PM
Thank you for the heads up!

jack020
04-02-2012, 02:16 AM
can someone provide an Amazon link to this title: I only get a book when searching...

berry101
04-02-2012, 07:31 AM
http://www.amazon.com/Live-Central-Park-Diana-Ross/dp/B007OAAK0O/ref=sr_1_1?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1333366020&sr=1-1

http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B007OAAK0O/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&m=A3DWYIK6Y9EEQB

Here ya go

jobeterob
04-05-2012, 10:10 PM
Pretty decent price.

jobeterob
05-11-2012, 06:19 PM
Thursday, July 21, 1983 was a sweltering hot and sticky 95-degree day in New York City. It was the ninth day of 90-degree weather in 10 days. Ladies on the street fanned themselves below noisy air-conditioner window units. Hot steam rose from the pavement. Below ground, subway cars were boiling. After days of suffering, the unrelenting heat had finally pushed resilient New Yorkers to their breaking point. Even ice became a commodity. Savvy street vendors started charging 50 cents for a cup. That morning, weather forecasters predicted thunderstorms for New York, but no one could have anticipated what was about to come.

In 1983 there were few stars who could command attention like Diana Ross. Since she first began her career with the Supremes in the '60s, Ross consistently broke down barriers and set an example for others to follow. With 18 number-one hits, an Academy Award nomination, a Tony, and the title of Billboard's Female Entertainer of the Century, Ross' success was unparalleled. When New York City announced that Ross would give a free concert in Central Park, it was an experience that, as one newscaster noted, "will be an event -- the kind you tell your grandchildren about."

Shortly after 6 p.m., Diana Ross slinked on the stage and joined the Bernice Johnson Dancers, a dance troupe from Harlem she had seen perform and decided she wanted for her opening. As Ross completed the African tribal-dance choreography by Michael Peters, she stripped off her multi-colored Issey Miyaki coat, revealing a studded, orange bodysuit, ran to the microphone and yelled, "Hello, New York!" Over 450,000 people standing shoulder-to-shoulder in the 13-acre Great Lawn roared as they watched Ross struggle to calm her mane, which the wind was blowing straight toward her face and into the microphone. As Ross was taking the audience on a musical journey, a dark cloud made its way into Central Park. Then, at 6:25 p.m., the first raindrops began splattering the stage. Determined to defy the elements, Ross cried out, "It took me a lifetime to get here, and I'm not going anywhere." In between singing, she calmed the crowd and encouraged those who wanted to leave to do so slowly. But it soon became clear that this was one show that could not go on. Months of planning were washed away.

Ross titled the show "For One and For All." It was the third free summer concert to benefit Central Park. The others were given by Elton John in 1980 and the reunion of Simon & Garfunkel in 1981. The intention behind Ross' show was to build a children's playground in Central Park. As Ross told The New York Times, "I take my kids to Central Park, and I noticed that there was no real playground, with soft ground for little kids. That is why I was a dreamer who had to create a dream." Money from the sale of souvenirs and 7.5 percent of the proceeds from the telecast of the event, which was to be broadcast live by satellite on the pay-cable network Showtime, would go the playground.

Ross chose Steve Binder to direct the concert. Binder had a long career in the entertainment business doing specials, including Elvis Presley's '68 comeback special. He first worked with Ross on the concert movie The T.A.M.I. Show in 1964, while she was with the Supremes. In 1981 she called upon him to direct her CBS television special. Binder says before any meetings took place for the Central Park show, Ross took him aside and asked, "Would you mind just being the director on this one and I'll be the producer?" He had no issues with that arrangement. Then in the first big production meeting at Ross' offices in midtown Manhattan, the superstar caught him off-guard.

"I wasn't expecting the crowd that was there," Binder recalled. "There had to be at least 75 to 100 people. We walk in and Diana's not there, and everybody is gathering. In comes Diana like a whirlwind. She looks phenomenal. She welcomes everybody and tells them how great it's going to be and so on and so on. I'm expecting her to start laying out the show. Then she says, 'If you have any questions about the show, talk to Steve Binder.'"

Just two years prior to the concert, Ross signed what was then the most lucrative recording contract in music history, with RCA, after leaving Motown, the company that first signed her in 1961 with the Supremes. Her contract with RCA gave her control to oversee all aspects of her career. Robert Summer, president of RCA at the time, said he was very proud to have made the connection for the record company after what he called a "vigorous vetting process on her part."

"I enjoyed her," Summer said about his relationship with Ross. "She was very determined to be her own woman at that time. She started her own production company. She opened offices. I thought it was admirable."

For RCA Ross signed a seven-album deal -- three-firm with options, either her way or the record company. Therefore, Ross was expected to deliver at least three albums. After the third, discussions to continue could once again take place.

The Central Park concert would coincide with the release of Ross' pivotal third album for RCA, simply titled Ross. To produce the majority of the album, Ross reached out to veteran music producer Gary Katz, best known for his success with Steely Dan. Katz remembered how he was mixing a record for the group Eye II Eye in downtown New York on a very hot afternoon. Someone in the studio said to him, "You have a call; Diana Ross is on the phone." He was certain it wasn't her and just some friend playing around, but indeed it was. She told him how she really liked his work and would like to talk with him about doing an album. He immediately left the studio and met her at Joe Allen restaurant in New York's Theater District.

"She walked in," Katz said, "and I'm not kidding, she barely had any clothes on. She had the tiniest top on and the shortest shorts you could imagine. I was the only person sitting there. Every waiter just watched her walk step by step to the table."

It took a while before Katz and Ross went into the studio, because he was tasked with finding material for the album. This proved to be a challenge, because most of the previous artists he had worked with, unlike Ross, wrote their own songs.

One of the songs he discovered was "Pieces of Ice," written by John Capek and Marc Jordan. The duo is perhaps best known from writing Rod Stewart's "Rhythm of My Heart." "Pieces of Ice," which became the first single from the album, has often been criticized for its vague, artsy lyrics, such as, "Where the zebra lightning strikes the room," and, "In the darkness you're Tunisia." Capek, who continues to write and recently formed a studio band called The Grease Corps., can't help but laugh when asked what the song means. He said he's gotten used to explaining his writing partner's style. Because Jordan went to school to work in film, Capek said he often thinks and writes in pictures. Once words are written, it's then his job to write the musical underscore for Jordan's sketches.

"Like all great art, when you go to an art gallery and look at a van Gogh or something, you can look at it repeatedly because it's multi-layered. There's depth. That is the great thing about Marc's lyrics; they speak to you in layers and you interpret them as you wish," said Capek.

The public didn't seem too interested in dissecting art. While the song did crack the top 40, it wasn't a smash. Two other singles from the album, "Let's Go Up" and "Up Front," were released but failed to chart.

Despite the lack of success for the album, Katz holds on to fond memories. "Diana and I had a very good relationship," Katz said. "I did very much like working with her, although I don't think I did as good of a job for her as I would've liked. [Choosing songs] is not my forte, and I don't know if I've ever done another record like that ever again."

Once the album was complete, RCA's creative director, Tony King, introduced Ross to renowned photographer Uwe Ommer. Born in Bergisch-Gladbach, Germany, Ommer began his career in Paris, admiring the work of photographer Art Kane. From the first hello, Ross and Ommer hit it off and began thinking of concepts for the album cover.

"She was looking for something sexy without being shocking," said Ommer, who describes his style as "natural sophistication."

Ommer worked with his stylist, Michele Saunders, on the project. Saunders, a Paris native, said Ommer always gave her "carte blanche" to do anything she wanted. She remembered the day of the cover shoot Ross came with a bunch of her own dresses. However, she had another idea in mind. She brought with her almost transparent red chiffon fabric.

"We didn't want to do a fashion shoot and advertise any dresses," Saunders said. "We wanted something that would last and not say, 'Oh, that's the dress from so and so last year.'"

With just chiffon covering Ross' naked body as a fan forced the fabric to cling to her, Ommer captured the look he was going for. Ross enjoyed her working relationship with Ommer and Saunders so much that she asked them to do the photographs for her Central Park concert, based on a jungle theme. Ommer came up with the idea to shoot Ross at his country home in Bellport, Long Island.

"She came out there for a day, and we shot in a tick-infested field with wild-looking makeup and two small pieces of cloth as a sole 'dress,'" said Ommer.

That "wild-looking" makeup was done by makeup artist Rene de Chamizo, who covered Ross' face and body in tribal makeup. He was also involved in the album cover. Saunders couldn't contain her excitement when she reminisced about that day.

jobeterob
05-11-2012, 06:20 PM
"We had the most fun. It was hot and crazy. It was a small group of people. Diana didn't have anybody with her. I think it might have just been her driver and this woman from the record company. Today, if Beyoncé were to have a shoot like this, there would be 150 people. It was just a weekend and us being creative," Saunders said.

The finished product from that session was shown to the audience on the two 34-feet-wide-by-24-feet-high video screens at Central Park during Ross' African jungle-themed opening.

With the meetings, the record, photographs, and the set by famed scenic designer Tony Walton behind her, there was only one thing left for Ross to do for Central Park: perform.

"I've never done a free concert on this scale before," Diana Ross told The New York Times days before the concert. "This concert is the most extraordinary thing to be able to do. How could anyone not want to do something as wonderful as this? I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the kind of person who says things are impossible and can't be done."

A few days before the concert, Ross flew in her costume coordinator, Diana Eden. Their relationship began a year prior. One morning Eden was at home still in bed and the phone rang. Her husband answered it, and an astonished look came over his face, Eden recalls. He covered the phone and told his wife it was Diana Ross. Ross had received Eden's name from legendary designer Bob Mackie after another dresser dropped out right before she was about to embark on a European tour. Without hesitation, Eden took Ross up on her offer to fly to Atlantic City to meet. In that meeting one of the first things they realized was that with both of them having the same name, things could get confusing. With little time to agonize over choosing a new name, Eden decided she'd go by "Dee."

The morning of the show, Eden brought the costumes she knew Ross wanted to wear to the park and waited for the star. "She was totally upbeat," Eden said about Ross' mood that day. "I don't think she would ever say, 'I'm nervous,' but I do remember it was a really big day for her. When she stood on that stage and said, 'I've been dreaming about this all my life,' that is true."

What wasn't in Ross' dream was the storm. As rain poured down, Ross remained in full control on stage, but her musicians and crew were in chaos. Musical conductor Joe Guercio can still remember those moments.

"I'm in a pit. Do you know how many amplifiers I have plugged in? Do you know how many lights I have plugged in? When it started to rain, it started to puddle down there. I quietly had all the guys unplugging one at a time, but she kept singing. Soon we had me, a drummer and an acoustic piano," Guercio said. "She kept them [the audience] in order. When Diana rules, Diana rules."

By 6:55 p.m., it became apparent to Ross that the show had to stop for everyone's safety. On the spur of the moment, without any confirmation from officials, she said to the audience, "We'll do it again tomorrow." Ross remained on stage for quite some time because she was afraid that if she left, the lights would go out and concert-goers wouldn't be able to leave the park safely.

That night 2.26 inches of rain fell, two thirds of the month's total precipitation. Winds up to 50 m.p.h. were reported, and electrical power was disrupted for about 40,000 homes throughout the metropolitan area during the storm. Meanwhile, those involved with the show wondered what was next -- would there actually be another show?

"It was scary for a minute," Guercio said. "We went back to the Le Parker Meridien, and then it became funny. We were like, 'Now what are we going to do tomorrow?'"

Eden didn't have it so easy. When others involved in the show left the park, she remained with Ross' soaked orange jumpsuit in hand and rounded up her crew. "We were in pitch black. We took black garbage bags and made ourselves ponchos. Meanwhile, I lost my shoes," Eden said. "I said to my crew, 'We're going to have to walk out of this park. Get out your sewing scissors.' We marched out over to the Le Parker Meridien. They were fabulous. They didn't look down their noses at this strange group arriving. Either Diana herself or the company manager had said to the front desk, 'If anyone needs a room; just give it to them. No questions asked.'"

The following morning Ross' concert made the front page of papers all over the world. Eden even called Ross to alert her she had made the cover of The New York Times. During that conversation, Ross instructed Eden to go to her home in Greenwich, where she had all her back-up costumes, and pull a bunch of things for the show. With temperatures in the '70s and the grounds cleaned, Ross returned to Central Park as promised.

"The second night to me, non-stop, of all the concerts I've done with her, was the best she ever did, looked, and sounded," said Binder. "The second day was a case of, 'OK, I know I've got them in the palm of my hand; I'm going to entertain the hell out of them.'"

Once the show was over, the challenge was to get out of the park safely. That proved to be dicey. For more than two hours after the concert, roving bands of youths attacked and harassed people around the park. Police said there were a number of chain snatchings and beatings. A total of 171 people filed complaints, 83 were arrested, and at least 41 were injured, 16 of whom were taken to hospitals. The crime had nothing to do with Ross or her concert, but it did sour the city on future free concerts in the park. Parks Commissioner Henry Stern ruled that there would be no more concerts in the park that may attract violence. The next big free concert in Central Park didn't occur until July 5, 1986, for the Celebration of the Restoration of the Statue of Liberty. The act: the New York Philharmonic.

New York was also at a loss financially. First there were the costs of the initial production and those involved with making the show happen. Then the concert had to be repeated, and in addition to hiring everyone for a second day, the grounds had to be cleaned to make the show possible. Furthermore, sales from T-shirts and other souvenirs that were supposed to go to the city were washed away in the storm. In the end the concerts wound up costing the city over $2 million dollars, and New York was left wondering how they were going to build a playground when they didn't have the funds. However, Ross would not let her dream die. She personally handed Mayor Ed Koch and Commissioner Stern a check for $250,000. Stern said Ross' gift provided a far larger amount for the city than all the Central Park concerts combined since 1967. On Sept. 11, 1986 groundbreaking for the Diana Ross Playground took place on Central Park West and 81st Street in New York. Today it remains a place for all children to enjoy.

The DVD of the concert is set to be released on May 15, 2012. It marks the first time the concert will be available for home entertainment. Twenty-nine years later, the memories for Miss Ross are still fresh. For this celebration she said, "Now, almost 30 years later, I can still say Central Park was one of the peak experiences of my career, an historical event -- rain and shine."

Diana Ross: Live in Central Park is available May 15. Visit www.shoutfactory.com to learn more. For the complete interviews with John Capek, Diana Eden, Joe Guercio, Gary Katz, Uwe Ommer, Dennis Rosenblatt, and Michele Saunders, visit dustinfitzharris.wordpress.com.

carlo
05-12-2012, 12:01 PM
I know Diana has talked about the Central Park concert in the past, but it would have been nice if she would have done an interview for this DVD as a bonus feature.

Jimi LaLumia
05-12-2012, 12:50 PM
the new ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY has the Diana Ross/Central Park DVD in their Top 10 Must Have list in the new issue[[and my AVENGERS letters is prominently featured on the LETTERS page, in which I bemoan the omission of ANT MAN & THE WASP from the AVENGERS blockbuster movie)

nomis
05-12-2012, 11:18 PM
Ant Man aka Henry Pym was only that incarnation for a few issues..then he became Goliath and ultimatley settled in the Yellow Jacket persona...the issues where Egghead blackmails him to betray The Avengers and his ultimate trial was my favourite Avengers story..

Jimi LaLumia
05-13-2012, 04:00 AM
Ant-Man was around at Marvel for a while; in THE AVENGERS, he was Ant-Man in issue #1 when he defeated Loki,by Avengers #2[[vs. The Space Phantom) he became Giant Man and stayed that way through issue #16,when Giant Man and The Wasp left The Avengers for a while[[Marvel and Motown were my two passions in the 1960's)

jobeterob
05-13-2012, 01:52 PM
Amazon # 4

Best Sellers in Music Videos & Concerts

George Harrison: Living In The Material World
~ George Harrison
4.2 out of 5 stars [[21)
DVD
List Price: $24.98

Price: $17.79

You Save: $7.19 [[29%)

31 used & new from $15.94

Up All Night: The Live Tour [[U.S. Version)
~ One Direction
5.0 out of 5 stars [[6)
Release Date: May 29, 2012
DVD
List Price: $16.98

Price: $14.99

You Save: $1.99 [[12%)

Sade: Bring Me Home - Live 2011 [[DVD/CD)
~ Sade
5.0 out of 5 stars [[16)
Release Date: May 22, 2012
DVD
List Price: $19.98

Price: $14.88

You Save: $5.10 [[26%)

Adele Live At The Royal Albert Hall [[DVD/CD)
~ Adele
4.6 out of 5 stars [[308)
DVD

Price: $14.88

You Save: $5.10 [[26%)

41 used & new from $14.83

Diana Ross:Live in Central Park
~ Diana Ross
4.9 out of 5 stars [[7)
Release Date: May 15, 2012
DVD
List Price: $16.98

Price: $11.99

You Save: $4.99 [[29%)

The Last Waltz [[Special Edition)
~ Robbie Robertson
4.6 out of 5 stars [[355)
DVD
List Price: $14.98

Price: $11.89

You Save: $3.09 [[21%)

81 used & new from $6.35

Pink Floyd: The Wall [[25th Anniversary Deluxe Edition)
~ Bob Geldof
4.4 out of 5 stars [[429)
DVD
List Price: $17.98

Price: $15.00

You Save: $2.98 [[17%)

64 used & new from $10.00

Awesome, I Shot That
~ Mike D
4.8 out of 5 stars [[25)
DVD
List Price: $14.98

Price: $6.49

You Save: $8.49 [[57%)

52 used & new from $0.88

Il Volo: Il Volo Takes Flight - Live From the Detroit Opera House
~ Il Volo
4.9 out of 5 stars [[58)
DVD

Price: $17.28

You Save: $2.70 [[14%)

22 used & new from $13.08

Yanni-Live at El Morro, Puerto Rico
~ Yanni
5.0 out of 5 stars [[5)
DVD
List Price: $11.98

Price: $9.99

You Save: $1.99 [[17%)

David J
05-14-2012, 11:38 AM
The Central Park DVD is now Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #3 in Movies & TV [[http://www.amazon.com/best-sellers-movies-TV-DVD-Blu-ray/zgbs/movies-tv/ref=pd_zg_hrsr_mov_1_1) :D

Jimi LaLumia
05-14-2012, 12:19 PM
actually, HERE...
http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/movies-tv/2959114011/ref=pd_zg_hrsr_mov_1_3_last

Roberta75
05-14-2012, 03:08 PM
The Central Park DVD is now Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #3 in Movies & TV [[http://www.amazon.com/best-sellers-movies-TV-DVD-Blu-ray/zgbs/movies-tv/ref=pd_zg_hrsr_mov_1_1) :D

I am very happy to see Miss Diane Ross back on the charts. I love it when the Motown ladies can still sell, like Diane Ross and Martha Reeves.

Best to you,

Roberta

Jimi LaLumia
05-15-2012, 08:28 AM
Johnny Carson talks to Diana Ross about Central Park[[and he 'rains' on her..)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iw2Y8nZVCCY

David J
05-16-2012, 05:00 AM
I am very happy to see Miss Diane Ross back on the charts. I love it when the Motown ladies can still sell, like Diane Ross and Martha Reeves.

Best to you,

Roberta

It's now ranked #2 on Amazon best-seller.
Way to go Ms Ross:D

zani57
05-16-2012, 04:03 PM
Review of the DVD from The Second Disc --

http://theseconddisc.com/2012/05/16/review-diana-ross-live-in-central-park/

smark21
05-16-2012, 07:52 PM
Here's a review from The AV Club:

http://www.avclub.com/articles/diana-ross-live-in-central-park,74859/

jack020
05-22-2012, 07:40 AM
Now 9 UK pounds at Amazon Uk!

Jimi LaLumia
05-23-2012, 07:48 PM
Diana Ross charted in the 60's, 70's, 80's,90's,2000's and RIGHT NOW!![[with Central Park DVD!)

zani57
05-24-2012, 05:06 AM
Hello.
Am not posting this to "rain on anyone's parade," just wondering if this claim has any merit/truth to it.

http://www.amazon.com/Diana-Ross-Live-Central-Park/product-reviews/B007OAAK0O/ref=cm_cr_dp_see_all_btm?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1&sortBy=bySubmissionDateDescending

It is the review written by Nelson Agis Jr [[FLORIDA) --

"Waited all these years and I got exactly what I assumed I would get. Thankful to have a copy on DVD, but was hoping for all the footage. Yes, all. What? Didn't know there was more? Don't remember more? Whomever Shout Factory purchased or licensed this video from, whether it was Anaid, Showtime, or the diva herself; this is the re-broadcast edit. Showtime had edited Friday's concert to add previous day's footage, in order to fit a two hour time slot. I remember the entire show because it was a milestone. Not to mention, I recorded the entire original live airing. There is at least 15 minutes missing including, "Pieces of Ice". Which was my favorite performance of the whole show! Therefore, I give it three stars for DVD release, a huge moment in history, and Ms. Ross' unforgettable energy and ability to keep her promise."

Again, I am very glad this historic concert is on DVD finally. But am curious to hear comments about the truthfulness of the reviewer's claim. Thank you.

lakedistrictlad1
05-24-2012, 08:54 AM
Hopefully the success of this dvd will lead to other releases. There are plenty more shows that should be on DVD. Great to see Diana in ANY charts - particularly the U.S

Though what strikes me as very odd is why there's been no DVD of her current show - given the incredible success it has been. Perhaps because it is still ongoing.

skooldem1
05-24-2012, 08:59 AM
Yes, "Pieces of Ice" was cut out. Also cut was the "Prophet" reading. I would have liked for "Pieces" to have been included because she re-created the video live, but it was the one song that was wasn't sung live and you could tell. so I understand why it was cut.

reese
05-24-2012, 09:21 AM
Three songs from the Lady Sings The Blues segment were cut as well. In retrospect, that segment sort of dragged. So maybe that's why they weren't included in subsequent broadcasts, and later on, this dvd.

Of course, she followed that segment with a great performance of MIRROR MIRROR. So the first part of the show ended on a high note.

reese
05-24-2012, 09:25 AM
Hopefully the success of this dvd will lead to other releases. There are plenty more shows that should be on DVD. Great to see Diana in ANY charts - particularly the U.S

Though what strikes me as very odd is why there's been no DVD of her current show - given the incredible success it has been. Perhaps because it is still ongoing.

It doesn't seem like many of the divas [[except for Barbra and Tina, and possibly Dionne) care to get their concerts or tv specials out on dvd. Tina has had every tour since her comeback captured on video and subsequently released. Gladys was supposed to have a dvd released of her Vegas show, but it hasn't come out. Considering their histories, Diana, Gladys, and Aretha are woefully under-represented.

Jimi LaLumia
05-24-2012, 10:47 AM
Most deserving of re mastered HD DVDs are the"TCB" and "GIT ON BROADWAY" NBC TV shows...absolute musts, I don't care who has them on bootleg, good proper releases are in order

skooldem1
05-24-2012, 10:52 AM
Hopefully with the huge success of this release, Diana Ross will try to get more of her SOLO TV Specials or un-released concerts on DVD.

jobeterob
05-24-2012, 04:59 PM
Central Park Debuts on the Soundscan/Billboard Music DVD Chart at #6

Billboard Music Awards Win Night for ABC in Key Demographic Dwight Yoakam to Keynote Billboard Country Summit - Save 15% on Registration Backbeat: Jordin Sparks, Stevie Wonder, Wiz Khalifa, More at Wild BBMA Afterparty Exclusive: Starbucks To Release 'Cafe Con Musica,' Nacional Rec's Latin Alt Comp Billboard Special White Paper: How To Improve Music Discovery and Sales On TV

TWITTER FACEBOOK EMAILArticle Search Advanced Search

Top Music Video
Issue Date: 2012-06-02

This Week Last Week Two Weeks Ago Weeks
on
Chart Title, Artist
Producer[[Songwriter)
Imprint | Catalog No. | Distributing Label Peak
Position
1 1 - 25

Live At The Royal Albert Hall,

| 01199 | Sony Music Video 18.98 DVD/CD 0
2 2 - 4 Living In The Material World,

| 016732 | Universal Music & Video Dist. 24.98 DVD 0
3 3 - 7 An Evening With... Dolly: Live,

| 76824 EX | Cracker Barrel 11.98 DVD/CD 0
4 4 - 15 Andrew Lloyd Webber's The Phantom Of The Opera At The Royal Albert Hall,

| 6112159 | Universal Studios Home Video 29.98 DVD 0
5 5 - 53 Whitney: The Greatest Hits,

| 15746 | Sony Music Video 11.98 0
6 NEW 1 Live In Central Park,

| 13128 | Shout! Factory 16.98 DVD 0
7 35 - 144 Indescribable,

| 17091 | EMM Music Video 14.98 DVD 0
8 10 - 26 Live At Roseland: Elements Of 4,

| 90449 | Sony Music Video 21.98 DVD 0
9 7 - 11 Duets II: The Great Performances,

| 95235 | Sony Music Video 14.98 DVD 0
10 9 - 4 Satchurated: Live In Montreal,

| 26839 | RED Distribution 16.98 DVD 0
11 15 - 8 Beacon Theatre: Live From New York,

| 935484 | J & R Adventures 24.98 DVD 0
12 14 - 47 Let There Be Rock!,

| 100002547 | Warner Home Video 21.98 DVD 0
13 NEW 18 The Best Of The Crabb Family: From The Homecoming Series,

| 46003 | EMM Music Video 17.98 DVD 0
14 16 - 26 Lady Gaga Presents: The Monster Ball Tour At Madison Square Garden,

| 016286 | Universal Music & Video Dist. 19.98 DVD 0
15 8 - 61 Les Miserables: 25th Anniversary Concert,

| 61118325 | Universal Studios Home Video 29.98 DVD 0
16 13 - 12 Il Volo ...Takes Flight: Live From The Detroit Opera House,

| 016559 | Universal Music & Video Dist. 19.98 DVD 0
17 11 - 9 En Vivo!: Live At Estadio Nacional, Santiago, < /font>

| 016455 | Universal Music & Video Dist. 19.98 DVD 0
18 18 - 13 Greatest Hits Live At Montreux 2011,

| 39199 | Eagle Rock 17.98 DVD 0
19 6 - 5 Live At El Morro, Puerto Rico,

| 95287 | Sony Music Video 11.98 DVD 0
20 20 - 28 Time Machine: Live In Cleveland,

| 431146 | Universal Music & Video Dist. 19.98 DVD 0
21 30 - 204 One Night Only,

| 30059 | Eagle Rock 14.98 DVD 0
22 19 - 32 Journey To Fearless,

| 12932 | Shout! Factory 18.98 DVD 0
23 17 - 36 Dream With Me In Concert,

| 96108 | Sony Music Video 16.98 DVD 0
24 21 - 24 En Vivo Desde Paris,

| 94060 | Sony Music Video 16.98 DVD 0
25 29 - 27 Some Girls: Live In Texas '78,

| 30394 | Eagle Rock 14.98 0
26 NEW 14 Meowingtons Hax Live From Toronto,

| 3123 | Ultra 19.98 DVD 0
27 25 - 12 Voyage,

| 016472 | Universal Music & Video Dist. 16.98 DVD 0
28 26 - 194 Live In Bucharest: The Dangerous Tour,

| 53497 | Sony Music Video 14.98 DVD 0
29 12 - 17 Gaither Homecoming Celebration!,

| 46139 | EMI CMG Video 21.98 DVD 0
30 33 - 8 Live At Wembley: European Tour 2011,

| 310127 | The Dude Films 17.98 DVD/CD 0
31 31 - 17 Believe,

| 79686 | Manhattan 26.98 DVD 0
32 28 - 6 Live At Montreux 2004,

| 33410 | Eagle Rock 19.98 Blu-ray 0
33 27 - 7 I Win,

| 99769 | Sony Music Video 14.98 DVD 0
34 36 - 278 Greatest Hits 1978-1997,

| 56032 | Sony Music Video 11.98 DVD 0
35 34 - 31 Pearl Jam Twenty,

| 96099 | Sony Music Video 19.98 0
36 38 - 26 Bill & Gloria Gaither Present: The Old Rugged Cross,

| 46123 | EMM Music Video 19.98 DVD 0
37 39 - 86 The 25th Anniversary Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame Concerts,

| 25794 | Time Life Video 39.98 DVD 0
38 NEW 83 Ladies & Gentlemen The Rolling Stones,

| 30315 | Eagle Rock 14.98 DVD 0
39 22 - 32 Bill & Gloria Gaither Present: Tent Revival Homecoming,

| 46120 | EMM Music Video 19.98 DVD 0
40 37 - 16 Days Of Our Lives,

| 30400 | Eagle Rock 14.98 Dvd

David J
05-25-2012, 10:02 AM
NICE!!!!thanks Jobeterob for the latest billboard chart update, very encouraging indeed:D
Can't wait to recieve my copy:cool:

Jimi LaLumia
05-25-2012, 07:07 PM
This is a major sales success..went back up to #4 today..
http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/movies-tv/2959114011/ref=pd_zg_hrsr_mov_1_3_last

jobeterob
05-31-2012, 12:54 AM
Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Page 1 of 1
On July 21, 1983, Diana Ross performed for approximately 400,000 fans in New York's Central Park. The show was being taped for live broadcast on the Showtime network. As Ross took the stage for an elaborately choreographed opening number, the wind was beginning to blow pretty hard. After a few numbers, the late afternoon skies turned dark and rain began hammering the immense crowd. Completely drenched in the downpour, Ross continued singing-apparently in total denial that, despite careful planning, the concert was a lost cause.

Throughout the truncated concert, Ross tries very hard to maintain her composure. A few terse commands to offstage assistants betray the frustration [[if not panic) she felt as the situation worsened. This was no light drizzle, it was a full blown thunderstorm and everyone there was in potential danger. After about 45 minutes, it was announced by the singer herself that everyone needed to go home. "We'll do it again tomorrow," she promised, without knowing whether or not that was indeed possible. As the assembled throng slowly made its way toward the exits, Ross remained on stage, imploring everyone to exercise as much caution as possible. Thankfully, no one was hurt.

By some minor miracle, Ross and company returned the very next day. The weather was beautiful and a full concert was performed without a hitch. Nearly 30 years later, both shows are presented in their entirety for the first time ever on Live in Central Park. The rain-shortened first concert is a fascinating example of grace under pressure. Ross, who contributed new liner notes for the release, was very brave to allow its inclusion. It's a rare look at a superstar enduring very undesirable and unflattering circumstances, singing off key at times as the elements drown out any possibility of hearing the monitors.

The triumphant full concert is all the more enjoyable after watching the disastrous rain-out. Ross' energy is boundless, reckless even, as she nearly biffs it while running up some stairs backstage while singing the opener, "I'm Coming Out." The crowd seems to be having as grand a time as she is, basking in the hot July sun and singing along boisterously. The staging is endearingly primitive by today's standards, with Ross making some of her costume changes right onstage as the band plays. She almost trips while trying to take off what looks like oversized pajamas. This is clearly a live performance, with no post-production sweetening to clean up occasionally sour vocals.

Among the many predictable hits in the set list, such as a Supremes medley, "Endless Love," "Reach Out and Touch [[Somebody's Hand)," and "Why Do Fools Fall in Love," are a couple of less expected covers. Michael Sembello's then-contemporary "Maniac" [[from the movie Flashdance) gets a workout, complete with a choreographed dance routine. Ross received a big cheer as she launched into a short version of Michael Jackson's "Beat It," but even though she assures the crowd, "You know how much I love Michael," she didn't know this song very well. Even more surprising is when she blanks on the lyrics to her own smash, "Upside Down." She tries to play it off by flirting with the hoard of police officers providing security.

Whatever flaws there may be only makes the performance that much more genuinely endearing. By the end of the show, the legendary performer is moved to tears, clearly overcome with emotion in front of 400,000 fans. Kudos to the DVD producers [[and Ms. Ross herself) for including both shows. The rain-shortened concert includes an informative audio commentary by the director, Steve Binder. All these years later, Binder has a great memory and is able to share many details about the concerts. Live in Central Park is essential viewing for Diana Ross fans.

Read more: http://www.seattlepi.com/lifestyle/blogcritics/article/Music-DVD-Review-Diana-Ross-Live-in-Central-3597102.php#ixzz1wQ62tiGO

jobeterob
06-04-2012, 05:26 PM
Central Park debuted at 12 in England and 18 in Holland.

Jimi LaLumia
06-04-2012, 07:54 PM
wow....SHOUT FACTORY has the worldwide rights, to license?

jobeterob
06-04-2012, 11:06 PM
I dont know if it means anything, but I believe on the chart that I saw from the UK, it says "Universal" beside the title.

jack020
06-06-2012, 02:30 AM
Pity they did not made it widescreen:[[

stephanie
06-06-2012, 06:08 AM
This is a good DVD I got it last week. Even though I have seen this at least 20 times on VHS there is something about the quality of this that makes you want to watch it all over again. This would not have made a good live album but it is definitely worth watching Ross is a great entertainer. Its amazing how she handles the crowd you can tell she is an off the cuff thinker.

captainjames
06-06-2012, 09:43 AM
Glad this finally made it to DVD !!!!

Jimi LaLumia
06-06-2012, 09:52 AM
"TCB/ GIT ON BROADWAY" next please!!!!

skooldem1
06-06-2012, 10:00 AM
I'd like to see a set of all of Diana Ross's specials. The one in 71/77?/81. I seem to recall that Binder said he worked on the 81 special. If not all of them, maybe we will get the 81 special at least. It would be great if they included all of the concert footage that was not included in the original broadcast- as an extra. Steve and Diana seem to have a successful history together and hopefully the huge success of this Central Park DVD will prompt them to look into releasing more.

thommg
06-07-2012, 02:07 PM
Interestingly enough, mine arrived today with the following sticker on the front:

The Legendary Concert
First Time on DVD!
Includes Both Days' Show In their Entirety

But the set list on the back shows that songs have been cut from the program. I haven't watched the DVD yet but I assume the track listing is correct and the sticker is a lie.

Also, the copyright is listed as 2012 Anaid Film Productions under license to Shout! Factory LLC. So Diana seems to have controlled this release.