PDA

View Full Version : Just read Ritz's "Divided Soul"...

test

nomis
03-26-2012, 12:42 AM
I had only ever skimmed through "Divided Soul" before but I sat down and read the whole book in two days..sometimes I wanted to stop because it was so grim..his father was a monster..If only Marvins mother had divorced him like the kids wanted..so much pain there..a theme that ran through the whole book I found very surprising was Marvins jealously and insecurity about nearly all his musical peers..its in nearly every chapter of the book when nearly all of them went on record in his life and afterwards saying how much they adored him and respected his talent..I can understand him being jealous of Diana's attention from Berry because that was a common Motown feeling and to some extent Jermaine,but he felt threatened by so many - MJ,Rawls,Ritchie,Wonder,Pendergrass even his own Brother Frankie...its a well written book although I disagreed with Ritzs assessment that he fizzled at Motown 25..in my view he was the best thing of the whole night the whole cycle of "gotta tour cos theres no money" was heartbreaking because he just got sicker and sicker as the years went on..a very,very grim life for someone who gave so much..Been playing "Whats Going On" LP over the last few days thinking of the irony that a man who spoke of such love and faith could never find it himself...

Motown4Ever518
03-26-2012, 08:25 PM
David Ritz is obviously a writer who is committed to providing insights into the music icons that we care about, or why would we be at this site. I have read Divided Soul a number of times since it initially came out I would say 1985-ish. Ironically, the book that Mr. Ritz wrote that I most looked forward to reading was the Smokey Robinson book, and that was disappointing at first, though I re-read it recently and it is a much better read. In my case, the reading of the books a couple of times, spread out over the years is interesting in that my experiences and perceptions change over time and , though the material is familiar, I am looking at it through new eyes.

Unfortunately since reading the Ritz book, any number of books have come out on Marvin Gaye and the thread is that there is almost a cloud when I do. Whats Going On was/is a masterpiece. But what came after was alright in my humble opinion. I do not see the genius that so many attribute to him. He was a human being who was as flawed as myself, and possibly others out there. He wanted to do his thing, but like a whole boatload of others who do not get this, to do your thing means doing your thing, when you are in the employ of others, you are not truly doing your thing. Also, his best work, take your pick from an almost 30 year career of incredible music, was in collaboration with others as opposed to Smokey, Stevie, Lionel who could work with others but good deliver on their own.