PDA

View Full Version : Aretha Franklin Talks about Luther Vandross & Weight & Eating

test

jobeterob
08-05-2010, 01:35 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9xHM5owGWY&feature=related

It's old but I've never heard her talk about weight and eating; she does understand and she tries; she says being on the road and being away are killers; too bad she couldn't have got that word to Whitney Houston about 8 months ago.

nosey
08-05-2010, 08:18 AM
Maybe she should hire a personal chef when she goes out on the road.

mr_june
08-05-2010, 02:03 PM
That's what I thought Nosey. Aretha is a treasure but when you get older you get tired and it's harder to stay on top of everything. God bless you Retha.

tsull1
08-05-2010, 02:22 PM
I never chuckle or laugh when people try to address their weight. I used to be a long distance runner in college, and I ballooned big time the past decade. I didn't look that obese until I got weighed just before hernia surgery [[probably had a hernia because of my weight). I was huge and it was depressing.

I had become an emotional eater and a binge eater. It's still tough to turn down food. That said, I joined Weight Watchers and have dropped about 45 pounds with many more to go. It's not easy. Weight Watchers isn't for everyone, but it worked for me.

As far as entertainers, I think we've lost far too many over the years to bad health habits. I'm not going to preach her or name names, but I think many could've lived longer had they watched certain things. Aretha is sadly on the clock if she doesn't change things. The problem is touring you're eating out all the time [[something I did) and you don't know what they're putting in the food.

It takes focus and discipline. When I went to the Spinners concert last year, I noticed lead singer Charlton Washington was quite heavy and younger than I am. Then I saw a new clip on Facebook and he had seriously dropped tons of pounds. Major props.

It's tough, it's very hard work. I hope Aretha and others in the soul music touring/performing grind can pull off the weight loss. It's one of the toughest things I've ever done and I've got a ways to go.

carlo
08-05-2010, 02:36 PM
Congratulations tsull! :) Keep it up. The struggle with weight, exercising and food is a life long daily battle. I'm still fighting that one. I was overweight during most of my teens. It's a lot of hard work. People on the outside sometimes have a hard time understanding the issues and complexities that are involved when a person is overweight.

I'm gonna watch this interview, thanks for sharing, Rob!