PDA

View Full Version : Kenny Gamble

test

mikey
09-07-2010, 07:31 AM
Who is this Kenny Gamble?http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHg4p7Img_M

nosey
09-07-2010, 11:39 AM
Mikey, it might be Kenny Gamble of Philly International records since he sang and had a band called Kenny Gamble & the Romeos that played at cabarets and such. He also sang background on a lot of the Philly International hits. But then maybe not. LOL!

tom_moulton
09-07-2010, 11:59 AM
It is the same Kenny Gamble. He was a dam good soul singer before he teamed up with Huff. He had a number of solo records on Arctic and a record on Jamie with Tommy Bell as Kenny & Tommy from 1961. I am sorry in a way because he stopped singing and we lost a great singer and gained a Producer

robb_k
09-07-2010, 01:07 PM
Yes, that's Kenny Gamble, who teamed up with Leon Huff. That recording on You-Tube has been sped up. The original recording was a soulful slow mid-tempo, more like a slow popcorn tempo. Bobby Greg, who produced it, was a Philadelphia piano and organ player, who arranged a lot of Philadelphia recordings in the '60s.

mikey
09-07-2010, 09:20 PM
Thanks everyone for your input.The song does sound much better at the correct speed.

davie gordon2
09-08-2010, 08:06 AM
Robb, Bobby Gregg is a drummer not a keyboard player. He was a staff producer for Epic/Columbia in 1963 - 1965 but not in Philadelphia. He worked at Columbia's New York studios
on sessions for Erma Franklin and Popcorn Wylie as well as Kenny Gamble.

robb_k
09-08-2010, 11:56 AM
Now that you've mentioned it, I remember reading that he was a drummer. But, Bobby Gregg had some singles out under his name only, on little Philadelphia labels. They featured the organ. Was that someone else on the organ? Didn't he start out there?

davie gordon2
09-11-2010, 05:16 AM
Robb, are you thinking of Bobby Peterson ? I haven't noticed any prominent keyboard on Bobby Gregg's records - he had a fair-sized hit "The Jam" on Cotton, which was a Philly label
but the lead instrument on that is guitar played by future guitar hero Roy Buchanan.

Bobby Gregg was from Philadelphia - he started out in Steve Gibson's Red Caps in the fifties. From there he became a regular studio musician at Cameo / Parkway. He then had a couple of singles on Cotton before moving to Epic where he had a half dozen
singles and an album. By late 1963 he'd joined Epic's A&R dept. as a staff producer then went back to session drumming - he's on some 1965 Dylan sessions and was the drummer on the
electric version of Simon and Garfunkel's "Sounds of Silence". Because he was working for Epic / Columbia he had to use their studios which were in New York so while he's Philadelphian
all his production work was done in New York. I can't find any arranging or producing credits for him on Philly labels.

honest man
09-11-2010, 01:48 PM
love kenny's version of i was standing in the shadows,yes have to agree he had a great vocal, but wow what a writer/producer, cheers

robb_k
09-11-2010, 03:04 PM

Robb, are you thinking of Bobby Peterson ? I haven't noticed any prominent keyboard on Bobby Gregg's records - he had a fair-sized hit "The Jam" on Cotton, which was a Philly label
but the lead instrument on that is guitar played by future guitar hero Roy Buchanan.

Bobby Gregg was from Philadelphia - he started out in Steve Gibson's Red Caps in the fifties. From there he became a regular studio musician at Cameo / Parkway. He then had a couple of singles on Cotton before moving to Epic where he had a half dozen
singles and an album. By late 1963 he'd joined Epic's A&R dept. as a staff producer then went back to session drumming - he's on some 1965 Dylan sessions and was the drummer on the
electric version of Simon and Garfunkel's "Sounds of Silence". Because he was working for Epic / Columbia he had to use their studios which were in New York so while he's Philadelphian
all his production work was done in New York. I can't find any arranging or producing credits for him on Philly labels.

"Potato Peeler" and one or two others by Gregg had an organ featured. But, I guess that wasn't him.