PDA

View Full Version : Rare Earth's "Get Ready" Live

test

jsmith
03-17-2012, 04:56 PM
This song was the highlight of the group's live act for a number of years.
As a studio cut it ran to around 10 minutes.
Live & 'taped' recordings by the group more usually last between 25 & 30 minutes .... but I've read on-line that when the group performed at the 1970 Atlanta Pop Festival [[held in a farmers field in a small town outside Atlanta), they played a version that lasted much longer [[one guys says for 2 hours with a 30 minute drum solo !!!).
Anyone here have experience of the group doing this song in concert ??
How long do you recall it lasting for ???
Can't say I was ever a big fan of really extended live versions of songs by rock or soul groups [[especially when every member had to have his own solo spot & all tried to make their spot last the longest), but it takes allsorts I suppose.

144man
03-17-2012, 06:32 PM
Try http://www.rareearthworld.co.uk

They're very knowledgable.

ralpht
03-17-2012, 07:04 PM
I'll see if I can get Peter Rivera to look in.

jsmith
03-17-2012, 07:37 PM
Thanks, 144man. I have attempted to post a thread on that site [[don't know if I was successful though).

ralpht
03-17-2012, 08:13 PM
Rareearthworld has several nice people on it. I post there from time to time.

marv2
03-17-2012, 08:35 PM
Rare Earth is MY GROUP! That extended version came in real handy during our college parties.....hehehehehehe!

peterivera
03-17-2012, 08:38 PM
Get Ready on the album was 21 min long and although sometimes we played a little longer than that I don't ever remember it being much more than a couple of min longer than that no matter where we played. Perhaps the person who thought it was 2 hours with a 30 min solo had the best stash…..

marv2
03-17-2012, 09:05 PM
Pete, to your knowledge, did you guys ever record and extended live version of "Celebrate"?

Marv

kenneth
03-17-2012, 10:30 PM
From the band's discography, it appears there's a few albums that went unreleased, "Generations" and "Live in Chicago." It'd be great if these could come out now, especially the live releases. Rhino, for example, has released lots of live albums by the Doors and others. [[I think there's 20 or so of The Doors alone!) King Biscuit also released many of its live concerts, though now I think they're only available [[along with hundreds of others of the original broadcasts) via download.

Pete, could this ever happen? That would be fantastic.

I especially always loved their version of "Chained," though there wasn't a long version of it like for "Get Ready," as far as I know.

marv2
03-17-2012, 10:41 PM
From the band's discography, it appears there's a few albums that went unreleased, "Generations" and "Live in Chicago." It'd be great if these could come out now, especially the live releases. Rhino, for example, has released lots of live albums by the Doors and others. [[I think there's 20 or so of The Doors alone!) King Biscuit also released many of its live concerts, though now I think they're only available [[along with hundreds of others of the original broadcasts) via download.

Pete, could this ever happen? That would be fantastic.

I especially always loved their version of "Chained," though there wasn't a long version of it like for "Get Ready," as far as I know.

Add Hip-O-Select to your list. No offense, but I'd much rather see the "deluxe" treatment done with one of Rare Earth's classic albums [[as well as the Four Tops), than ANOTHER Supremes album! I'm sorry but that is how I honestly feel. Love me some Rare Earth!!!

Marv

jsmith
03-18-2012, 03:37 AM
Thanks for the replies, as Pete said the guy who recalls a really long version must have "Gotten Ready" before the group hit the stage at the AIPF70.
Pete, do you recall much about that Festival. By all accounts, on the Saturday [[when you & the likes of Rotary Connection, Chambers Brothers & Hendrix were on), some bands failed to show whilst others played such long sets that the allotted performance times were abandoned. Its stated that Hendrix was actually due on before Rare Earth but things were so chaotic, he ended up going on as the last act of all [[before dawn on the Sunday).
The 'word' on the net [[just about all from committed rock fans, not soulies) is that your performance of "Get Ready [[plus Hendrix's "Star Spangled Banner) were the stand-out renditions of the whole day.

jbpintus
03-18-2012, 09:54 AM
That's funny as about two weeks ago I asked Pete if he thought it would be a good idea to try and get a "Rare Earth live Collection" featuring LIVE IN CONCERT and LIVE IN CHICAGO released by Hip-oselect.

I was about to write Pete and Harry about it

;-)

JB

kenneth
03-18-2012, 10:27 AM
Would love to see those live albums come out on Hip-O!

Regarding that fantastic poster above, am I missing it or is Rare Earth not even on there?

ralpht
03-18-2012, 11:09 AM
As a side note: I've heard some of the new material that Pete has been recording and it is first class, as I have learned to expect from my exceptionally talented friend. The release of these songs is coming soon and I urge all of you to check it out and support Pete in this new effort.

jbpintus
03-18-2012, 01:54 PM
Re: Pete's new material. I've heard some if it too. And it's really something not to miss
:-)

JB

jsmith
03-18-2012, 03:26 PM
You're right, Rare Earth's name isn't on the poster but its in the Festivals printed programme.
Guess they were added to the bill after the poster went to the printers.

peterivera
03-18-2012, 08:40 PM
I think we were added after the poster. Anyway, Someone had spiked the punch backstage [[there were people everywhere) and right before our show I noticed that round things were oval and lights had a ring around them. I remember getting ready to start our show and realized that I was trippin! It was not comfortable as I had never done a dillic before. I was not happy !…. We did have a good show [[not that I can remember) kidding. It was fun…. I met Jimi just after our set…..said hello and wished him a good show…..He killed everybody….. I loved it…… I think….kidding….

stephanie
03-18-2012, 09:00 PM
I always thought that Rare Earth helped to pave the way for groups like the Average White Band. Pete thank you for gracing us on the forum. I will never forget when I saw you live with the Classic All Stars and your voice was booming through the speakers. Do you look at each gig like its a job [[since you have been at this for a while) or do you still get excited to be on stage?

stephanie
03-18-2012, 09:03 PM
Awesome footage of Rare Earth! Its got 572,000 plus hits!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qo0GdGgMFzM

jsmith
03-19-2012, 04:25 AM
"Get Ready" is a strange one for me.
Neither the Temptations, Rare Earth or Smokey's solo effort of the song really appealed to me when I heard them back in the day. I have each of the versions but hardly ever pull out the records & play them.
AND YET .......... UK TV use the Temptations version a lot in trailers for new shows [[or for the 1st outing of an established show's new season) .. when I hear those opening chords coming out of the TV, I like em & can't help but sing along to the first vocal lines that they use from the song.

thisoldheart
03-19-2012, 07:24 AM
sorry, but rare earth, for me, was one of the worst groups signed to motown ... i mean "rare earth". how did they ever get a label named after them is beyond me. i realize gordy pandered to the white rock crowd, but this group is so lame!

marv2
03-19-2012, 09:25 AM
sorry, but rare earth, for me, was one of the worst groups signed to motown ... i mean "rare earth". how did they ever get a label named after them is beyond me. i realize gordy pandered to the white rock crowd, but this group is so lame!

You have the right to your opinion, I just wonder who was considered a good group on the planet that you live on? hehehehehehe!

Rare Earth was awesome! They were the bomb! I have to disagree about Mr. Gordy's pandering to the "white Riock crowd". Rare Earth was WAAAYYYY too soulful to put into any one category.

marv2
03-19-2012, 09:29 AM
I don't what year this clip is from, but take a good listen......they were the BOMB!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3Z8NU5ImK0

ralpht
03-19-2012, 09:30 AM
Sorry you didn't care for the band. That is your opinion. For the most part, you are in the minority on this, but opinions are opinions and you are entitled to yours. However, since Pete has been kind enough to speak with the members of the forum that DID like the group, it seems to me that you could have shown a bit more tact in expressing how you felt. Also, you are SO DEAD WRONG regarding Gordy's pandering to white groups. Actually the opposite is more the case and those of us connected to the label were working at a disadvantage since Berry really wasn't all that fond of us and what we were trying to accomplish.

peterivera
03-19-2012, 10:52 AM
No offence taken at all. I glad that everyone takes the time to express themselves. We're all in this together. It would be a boring world if everyone felt the same about everything in life. Thank you to the folks who loved Rare Earth and Thank You to the ones who didn't. Ya know some people like brussel sprouts and some don't… It's all Good…. Peter

ralpht
03-19-2012, 11:31 AM
Maybe so, Pete, maybe so. But I have problems with people that post here and forget their manners. Now pass the sprouts.........................

johnny_raven
03-19-2012, 11:42 AM
I love brussel sprouts and I love Rare Earth!

Btw, Is there any word when your first LP on Verve may make it's CD debut?

gary_james
03-19-2012, 11:59 AM
That's not the right audio for that clip, the original recording has been put on it by the poster. The clip with LIVE audio does exist.

gary_james
03-19-2012, 12:03 PM
Get Ready LIVE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qo0GdGgMFzM

peterivera
03-19-2012, 04:06 PM
I have no word of that….. It's been so long I wonder if the tapes have degraded….

thisoldheart
03-19-2012, 08:10 PM
sorry rare earth fans and rare earth ... perhaps on a none motown label ... or am i just digging myself a bigger grave? my humblest apologizes, really!

ralpht
03-19-2012, 08:28 PM
Apologies accepted. Thanks.

peterivera
03-20-2012, 12:58 AM
No apology needed…. Remember …."Love is never having to say I'm sorry"………maybe now you might like me….If so you can like me on my facebook page….I'd love that….. www.facebook.com/peteriveramusic

144man
03-20-2012, 09:16 AM
When I play "The Complete Motown Singles 1971" I find that the tracks by Rare Earth and those on the Rare Earth label are as much in keeping with the spirit of Motown as those by the more established artists. I enjoy them just as much.

nosey
03-20-2012, 10:10 AM
Can't speak about the white rock crowd but us black folks in the clubs and bars loved us some Rare Earth and so did a lot of the bands at the cabarets covered Get Ready! [[I can see the heads bobbing up and down on the dance floor now!)

kenneth
03-20-2012, 10:40 AM
The band did lots of great things. "Get Ready" was groundbreaking. There might have been a few rock songs that filled up an entire side of an LP before that [[Iron Butterfly was one, I am sure), but this was one of the first to hit Top 40 radio in such a big way. Plus, while they were clearing loving some of the Motown catalog, they weren't imitators or posers. They brought their own sound to the music. I see them more as an outgrowth of the Detroit garage band tradition [[bands such as The Rationals and SRC come to mind) than other groups of the era, though I'm pretty sure they were not from Detroit.