PDA

View Full Version : High Inergy CD disappointing

test

BayouMotownMan
03-17-2012, 03:09 PM
I've waited and begged for years for a High Inergy compilation. Now that one is out, I'm pretty unimpressed.

First of all, the liner notes are filled with wrong info. The group was named after The Supremes final lp, "High Energy?" Wrong. Also, High Inergy was never produced by Rick James, Ashford & Simpson or Smokey. They used their material but that's all

Also, the song selections are rather odd to me. Some of the lp cuts used are mediocre at best [[Love Of My Life). Why couldn't we have the full album version of You Can't Turn Me Off or the single version of He's A Pretender. Other important singles, like Shoulda Gone Dancing, Make Me Yours, Don't Park Your Loving [[amongst others) are omitted.

This set leaves a lot to be desired and is not a true representation of their best work

carlo
03-17-2012, 03:38 PM
Thanks for the review. What's the sound quality like?

BayouMotownMan
03-17-2012, 03:48 PM
SQ is great, it's just that with the wealth of material released by High Inergy, I wouldn't put Love Of My Life or Could It Be Love on the one compilation that's ever been issued. Love Is All You Need, Wrong Man, Right Touch, So Right, all are missing. It does have the single edit of Hold On To My Love

soulster
03-17-2012, 04:16 PM
I've waited and begged for years for a High Inergy compilation. Now that one is out, I'm pretty unimpressed.

First of all, the liner notes are filled with wrong info.

I'm not surprised, especially if it's an import. I often find wrong info on import CDs. Not only that, I have import CDs with liner notes that were lifted from Wikipedia, and you know how that can have wrong info!

smark21
03-17-2012, 04:48 PM
High Energy wasn't the last Supremes album,it was "Mary, Scherrie and Susaye".

jsmith
03-17-2012, 04:49 PM
RE: the song selections are rather odd to me
Those are the songs that are most popular with UK soul fans [[CD compiled by top UK soul DJ).

uptight
03-17-2012, 04:58 PM
I see the title of it is Best of -- not Greatest Hits . That usually means whatever the producer can afford to throw together. Hopefully UMG will be releasing something more in the form of an anthology soon. Then you will have both a best of and a UMG set.

soulster
03-17-2012, 05:16 PM
I see the title of it is Best of -- not Greatest Hits . That usually means whatever the producer can afford to throw together. Hopefully UMG will be releasing something more in the form of an anthology soon. Then you will have both a best of and a UMG set.

No. Best of comps are put together by those knowledgeable about the artist's music. They pick the tracks they feel represents the artist's best work. Sometimes, the artist selects the songs. On top of that, if you are dealing with a comp made by a company not in the artist's native land, unexpected songs may be picked because of regional popularity.

uptight
03-17-2012, 08:09 PM
Still a best of is not a greatest hits. A best of is what the compilation producer thinks is best. And you have a good point about regional popularity where the compilation was being assembled. Hopefully the door is open for better compilations stateside in the near future.

soulster
03-18-2012, 12:52 AM
Still a best of is not a greatest hits. A best of is what the compilation producer thinks is best. And you have a good point about regional popularity where the compilation was being assembled. Hopefully the door is open for better compilations stateside in the near future.

If you have the sources, the gear/software, and the skill, you can create your own comp. I do it all the time.

Kamasu_Jr
03-18-2012, 01:02 AM

First of all, the liner notes are filled with wrong info. The group was named after The Supremes final lp, "High Energy?" Wrong. Also, High Inergy was never produced by Rick James, Ashford & Simpson or Smokey. They used their material but that's all

Also, the song selections are rather odd to me. Some of the lp cuts used are mediocre at best [[Love Of My Life). Why couldn't we have the full album version of You Can't Turn Me Off or the single version of He's A Pretender. Other important singles, like Shoulda Gone Dancing, Make Me Yours, Don't Park Your Loving [[amongst others) are omitted.

This set leaves a lot to be desired and is not a true representation of their best work

I kind of agree about the track selection, but as someone else pointed out it is some producer's choices. However, High Inergy and Barbara Mitchell did the best they could with what they were given. Ms. Mitchell is definitely underrated in the history of Motown.

roger
03-18-2012, 05:44 AM
Well .. this must be the collection in question ..

http://www.soulbrother.com/webreviews/93346.html

However I've yet to see exactly who compiled this collection?

I see that it is issued by Expansion Records, which usually means that either RICHARD SEARLING or RALPH TEE are involved. Both are very enthusiastic supporters of Soul music and heavily involved in the British "Rare Soul" scene, so projects they are involved in are likely to include their personal favourites and/or recordings where they have had positive feedback either at club gigs or on their radio shows.

Unfortunately, when it comes to write-ups on these projects RALPH TEE in particular can let his enthusiasm get in the way of the facts. Pity really, as his "Luxury Soul" show on JAZZ-FM is really worth a listen. It should be possible to hear the most recently broadcast show by following this link ..

http://www.jazzfm.com/shows/ralph-tees-luxury-soul/

I've never really liked the "Best Of" monicker that gets put onto collections like this .. there has been many an occasion where a "Best Of" collection actually excludes what I think is the artists "Best" recording and I've often wondered if I could make a nice little income by sueing the record company involved when this sort of thing happens .. misrepresentation, emotional trauma etc. etc. etc. I wonder if any of those "No Win-No Fee" lawyers would be interested .. :)

Roger

jsmith
03-18-2012, 08:23 AM
Jazz FM info on Ralph Tee ........
Ralph Tee has carved a successful career out of a love for soul, dance and jazz. He's been a dedicated club DJ, a record label executive [[co-owner of Expansion Records), journalist [[former Assistant Editor of Blues & Soul, Editor Mix Mag), author [[Who’s Who In Soul and The Story of Soul) and first hosted a Sunday show for Jazz FM in the 1990s. Expansion also stage the Luxury Soul Weekenders, uniting soul fans at two annual events.

Constantin
03-18-2012, 08:32 AM
IMO, the material Motown submitted to High Inergy was not always first rate, so it is hard to have an exciting compilation. I have all their records but I have to confess I don't listen to them very often [[especially the last ones). And I find "Shoulda Gone Dancin'" too shrill to be missed.

carlo
03-18-2012, 10:26 AM
I remember reading somewhere else that High Inergy was named after The Supremes' album, "High Energy". I realize this isn't true, but perhaps the gentleman who compiled the liner notes discovered this information from an incorrect source.

marv2
03-18-2012, 01:45 PM
I remember reading somewhere else that High Inergy was named after The Supremes' album, "High Energy". I realize this isn't true, but perhaps the gentleman who compiled the liner notes discovered this information from an incorrect source.

I always thought it was true. Motown was even promoting them in magazines as "The New Supremes" in 1977.

brother_love
03-18-2012, 03:01 PM
The cover art alone makes not want to buy this collection it looks very low-budget. I'm looking forward the release of their first album "Turnin' On" later on this year by Big Break Records. They always do a great job with the albums that they reissue. Their sound and notes are great and the booklets are always first class.

soulster
03-18-2012, 03:04 PM
I'm looking forward the release of their first album "Turnin' On" later on this year by Big Break Records. They always do a great job with the albums that they reissue. Their sound and notes are great and the booklets are always first class.

Not! They compress the shit out of their CD!

stephanie
03-18-2012, 09:25 PM
I have mixed feelings about High Inergy. They were a talented group of girls but other than their singles I dont find much to be amazed about. I guess they didnt have enough time to remain as relevant as an En Vogue or a TLC. I remember when they did Hes a Pretender on Motown 25 I just knew they would have a huge hit with that it was not for a lack of performance the timing was just not right or Motown didnt care anymore I dont know.

jsmith
03-19-2012, 04:18 AM
I think the trouble with High Inergy was that they landed their record deal at the WRONG time.
All that Motown wanted them to do was jump on the disco bandwagon. There was way more to the group than that [[even their version of the classic 60's soul song "Make Me Yours" was too disco for my liking).
Mind you, they did get 9 US hit 45's, so they didn't do too bad commercially.
Another female Motown artist who suffered in a similar way was Bonnie Pointer -- she cut versions of so many classic 60's Motown songs ... but her efforts were largely wasted due to the way the 'backing tracks' had been aid down.

Ngroove
03-19-2012, 03:28 PM
Gosh, it ha sbeen always a seemingly deliberate process to make “Greatest Hits/ Best of /Definitive / Ultimate” Collections, to leave out a good one or two good ones,to make the people crave for more, prompting them to buy more.

While I hadforgiven Diana Ross’ Ultimate Collection, for the omission of “I’m Coming Out”,while it still had “Reach Out and Touch [[Somebody’s Hand)”, “Ain’t No Mountain High Enough”, “Love Hangover”, “Upside Down”, ect.

Jackson Five’s Ultimate Collection, for the omission of “Ben”,while it still had “I Want You Back”, “ABC”, “I’ll Be There”, “Got To Be There”,ect.

Commodores’ Ultimate Collection, for the omission of “SailOn”, while it still had “Just to Be Close To You”, “Three Times a Lqady”, “Still”,“Lady”, ect.

Rick James’ Ultimate Collection, for the omission of “Glow”,while it still had “You and I”, “Mary Jane”, “Superfreak”, “Fire & Desire”,ect.

Ngroove
03-19-2012, 03:30 PM
High Inergy-wise, gosh, listening to their omitted from CD “Shoulda Gone Dancing” and “Skate To The Rhythm” on Youtube, taking a look at their small discography on discogs.com, it’s like apparently the compilers only compiled only four of their nine singles. Really; if they could, they could jam in all nine of them in one disc, along with a few then somes, even play the extended twelve inches on a couple of good ones!

I think for now, I shall be content with what I already own of their music; “He’s a Pretender”on a Funkology, “You Can’t Turn Me Off [[In The Middle of Falling In Love)” on Complete Motown Number Ones, “Make Me Yours” on a Chartbusters, and the entire “Steppin’ Out” on vinyl, with possible plans to gradually buy the other seven LPs down the road, as well as possibly “Turnin’ On” in CD, given a good, affordable price.

Still waiting for Susaye and Scherrie's "Partners" , Apollo's "Apollo", and Bobby Nunn's "Second to Nunn" reach the CDs, if ever, but since they finally got High Inergy gradually being taken care of, I have a small smidgen of faith.