PDA

View Full Version : Diana Ross to X Factor as a Judge?

test

Jimi LaLumia
03-16-2012, 07:59 PM
big news may be in the wind!!

LadySingsBlues
03-16-2012, 08:06 PM
I would love love love this! I've at least been wanting to see Diana mentor again on one of these talent shows.

jobeterob
03-17-2012, 02:35 AM
I don't see much but suggestions that she would be a good choice. But I can't really see her investing that kind of time.

jobeterob
03-17-2012, 02:47 AM
Following the bloodbath on Simon Cowell's "The X Factor," which left first season judges Nicole Sherzinger and Paula Abdul with a pink slip, the Internet has continued to buzz over who Cowell would tap to replace the two female judge slots.

A virtual who's who of the current pop diva landscape has been thrown into the rumor mill [[Nicki Minaj!? Beyonce!? Janet Jackson!? Fergie!? Katy Perry?!), but recently online speculation has intensified that Britney Spears is nearing a reported $10 million deal to join the show and sit next to Cowell and L.A. Reid. The high profile signing would put her slightly under the $12 million that Jennifer Lopez rakes in at rivaling competition "American Idol."

Whether Cowell wants to admit it, the search to find his new judges couldn’t have been an easy one. A swath of mega-selling pop divas will be busy touring this year, so Madonna, Cher, Celine Dion [[she has a Vegas residency) and Jackson are automatically out. Jackson was long rumored to be in talks to take a seat, but last week she announced that despite being flattered by the attention, it was impossible for her to do the gig because of film and touring commitments. There were also reports that before her death Whitney Houston was considering throwing her name in the hat and wanted to meet with Cowell.

Not that we don’t have faith in Spears. Like Lopez and Abdul, she absolutely knows what it takes to be a successful pop star, but it's difficult to picture her judging a singing competition. Some will argue she’s unfit to judge because of her knack for lip-syncing onstage, but the major concern lies in how Spears would hold up with offering off-the-cuff criticism and bantering with her fellow judges on a weekly basis -- on live television nonetheless.

With a formal judging announcement expected soon, Pop & Hiss offers Cowell a little bit of unsolicited advice just in case Spears falls through. Here are seven bold-named divas Cowell and Co. should consider:

Pink: She fought executive and "X Factor" judge L.A. Reid tooth and nail to support her desires to switch to a more pop-rock edge after her urban-leaning debut [[she proved to be right). Viewers already know the well-publicized story by now, but we hope the two of them sitting next to one another would lead to snarky bickering and a competitive spirit that would benefit the viewers and their respective artists.

Mariah Carey: Carey has remained one of the rumored talents Cowell has his eyes on. She was actually supposed to help Cowell pick his finalists last season and the multi-octave diva would be a perfect fit for the show. Unlike Sherzinger, she has the profile [[and the raw talent) to back up her diva antics. Also, watch any of her QVC appearances to see how loose and lively she gets without a script.

Faith Hill: For some reason these shows routinely lean on pop stars to dole out advice, and completely miss the country market –- something “The Voice” got right. Getting a country diva could be the thing to give the show a broader appeal. Country crooners typically fare well on “Idol," and Hill could have polished “X Factor” country-pop outfit Lakoda Rayne a lot sooner than Abdul did. If Miranda Lambert wasn’t hitched to “Voice” judge Blake Shelton, her prowess on the charts could have made her a draw for viewers.

Shakira: One of “X Factor’s” biggest strength and weakness is dividing their categories among the judges [[boys, girls, over 30 contestants and groups). Where Sherzinger got overwhelmed with her older than 30 group last season, someone as versatile as Shakira could flourish. She has a perfect stage presence, and where a great deal of acts got swallowed up by “X Factor’s” massive production values, Shakira could no doubt help contestants use the stage to their benefit.

Mary J. Blige: “Idol” viewers got a glimpse of how well Blige can nurture talent this week when she offered the contestants vocal tips, and got it right every time. Where Christina Aguilera usually lets her ego get in the way of mentoring on “The Voice,” Blige is one of the few divas who would check hers at the door.

Diana Ross: The schedule of these singing competitions is a logistical nightmare. A talent as big as Ross, however, doesn’t have to keep a rigorous touring schedule, and although she’s currently on the road now she could pair audition dates with tour commitments before settling down for the live shows. An admittedly ambitious addition to this wish list, getting a seasoned diva whom people still care about [[keywords: still care about) would be another dose of credibility.

Alicia Keys: Getting someone like Keys –- a piano virtuoso, deft songwriter and Grammy darling -- would ultimately benefit the contestants. Keys seems as if she would meticulously groom the contestants into superstars and that’s always fun for the viewers at home. She’d also be able to take Cowell to task if he gets lippy, and he always does.

copley
03-17-2012, 07:03 AM
I'm sure that it could well be a couple of names from your list but it won't be Ross. Has to be someone who is in touch with what the pubic want today.

Roberta75
03-17-2012, 12:52 PM
Martha Reeves would be the best choice as a judge for the X Factor. Martha js current, hip and sounds fantastic.

smark21
03-17-2012, 01:35 PM
Diana Ross doesn't do ensemble. If she were to become a judge, I imagine it would be under the condition that she's the only one on the panel.

carlo
03-17-2012, 03:42 PM
As much as I would like to see Diana as a judge, I doubt that this will happen. It seems like the media has been endlessly suggesting/speculating on who the next judges will be, and it seems like they have named every artist under the sun. Also, wasn't high salaries part of the reason why they dumped Paula and Nicole in the first place? I got the impression that the show isn't doing well and that they need to scale back and cut costs? If that's the case, they definitely won't be able to afford Diana Ross.

Roberta75
03-17-2012, 05:56 PM
They are foolish if they don't consider Miss Martha Reeves as a judge on the X Factor. Martha is loved and respected by all generations and she can sing better than any teenager.

Roberta

franjoy56
03-17-2012, 06:41 PM
I have been to Martha's shows, the last two shows in the early 2001's were good

but her singing of late has not been the greatest unless she has had a voice overhaul her pipes weren't up to snuff, her vocals seemed strained, maybe now they are better anyone have a recent utube.

copley
03-17-2012, 07:38 PM
Now I'm a huge fan of Martha's but she has not been current for about 40 yrs! Today's kids may know 'Dancing In The Street' but that's all. As for her voice :[[

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZPBReHzGXo&feature=related

marv2
03-17-2012, 08:49 PM
Another thing that sets Martha aparts from the others and gives her the advantage is that she has lots of experience in mentoring young beginning performers. She use to do that every Tuesday night at the Sting nightclub in Detroit in the 90's. Martha really knows how to relate to young people and they love her.

marv2
03-17-2012, 08:50 PM
Now I'm a huge fan of Martha's but she has not been current for about 40 yrs! Today's kids may know 'Dancing In The Street' but that's all. As for her voice :[[

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZPBReHzGXo&feature=related

She sounds just fine to me, so I don't see the problem.

carlo
03-17-2012, 11:45 PM
You're right Marv. She's great with younger people. There was also some sort of Canadian documentary that aired over here a few years ago. Every time it's on TV, I only happen to see the last few minutes of it. I forget the title. Martha was in it and I think she was mentoring some music students at a high school in British Columbia.

I think Martha would be great as an X Factor judge. There's too much ego on that panel between Simon and L.A. Reid. I think Martha would bring things back down to earth. She seems to have a pleasant personality and I know she would be able to provide some good insight and advice.

marv2
03-18-2012, 12:14 AM
You're right Marv. She's great with younger people. There was also some sort of Canadian documentary that aired over here a few years ago. Every time it's on TV, I only happen to see the last few minutes of it. I forget the title. Martha was in it and I think she was mentoring some music students at a high school in British Columbia.

I think Martha would be great as an X Factor judge. There's too much ego on that panel between Simon and L.A. Reid. I think Martha would bring things back down to earth. She seems to have a pleasant personality and I know she would be able to provide some good insight and advice.

Martha is very down to Earth and is just a great lady all the way around. Talking with Martha is like talking to your aunt, your mom or your neighbor. She is totally "un-phony" and VERY smart! Martha would give advice and pointers from her heart and from her experiences. I've seen her do it before. They use to have a talent like contest at the now defunct "Sting Nightclub" in Detroit at 8 Mile Rd on the West side. The amatuer performers would come over to hug and kiss Martha all the time because they knew she was genuine and really wanted to see them make it!

I'll put it this way, if you know Martha Reeves, you cannot help but to love her.

carlo
03-18-2012, 12:29 AM
Here is a link to the documentary I mentioned:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motown_High

marv2
03-18-2012, 12:40 AM
Here is a link to the documentary I mentioned:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motown_High

Thank you Carlo. I am going to watch it later this evening.

Roberta75
03-18-2012, 09:56 AM
I have been to Martha's shows, the last two shows in the early 2001's were good

but her singing of late has not been the greatest unless she has had a voice overhaul her pipes weren't up to snuff, her vocals seemed strained, maybe now they are better anyone have a recent utube.

I beg to differ my dear Frances. Martha Reeves has one of the best voices in the business and is a force to be reckoned with. Hiring Martha Reeves as a judge on the X Factor would be a huge boost for the show and would raise their ratings and make the show more respectable.

Roberta

LadySingsBlues
03-18-2012, 11:51 AM
Martha Reeves is not going to raise any ratings. She's a nice lady but she's not on a name recognition level like her peers.

milven
03-18-2012, 05:59 PM
Throwing out Diana's name was just speculation. I doubt, and hope, that it does not become reality. Bad enough that Gladys is on DWTS and Dionne was on Apprentice. What will be next? Streisand crawling through the mud in Survivor? Aretha on The Biggest Loser? I prefer my divas on the concert stage, not on reality shows.

stephanie
03-18-2012, 08:57 PM
Well these divas are getting older and the only exposure some of them will get is on reality shows which pay well I might add!

marybrewster
03-19-2012, 09:28 AM
Diana Ross is not going to be no judge on no talent show. First, Diana is not going to be wanting anyone booing her. This happens all the time on these types of shows; the judge gives their honest, expert opinion and the audience doesn't agree; so they get booed. And I am sorry, but the judge is 99% right. Second, Diana is too cute and nice and sweet to have to listen to Simon, and I don't think Simon would be able to be his catty, cutty self with Diana. He's too respectful of his elders and his icons; being "cute" with Diana just wouldn't work.

I think Martha Reeves, or maybe her new Vandellas would be good judges.

Penny
03-19-2012, 10:28 AM
Martha might be a good choice. Besides, Simon said on Idol a few years ago that Diana wasn't the real or best singer in the Supremes anyway. A comment like that won't be forgotten by Miss Ross. She won't be on his show no way.

Penny:D

Roberta75
03-19-2012, 02:17 PM
Martha might be a good choice. Besides, Simon said on Idol a few years ago that Diana wasn't the real or best singer in the Supremes anyway. A comment like that won't be forgotten by Miss Ross. She won't be on his show no way.

Penny:D

Martha Reeves would be a great choice for a judge on the X Factor. Martha's music is timeless and she's a recognizable name to all ages. Martha Reeves knows the music business and she's respected by everyone plus she has great business sense.

Martha Reeves has to be the X Factor's next judge.

Roberta

Jimi LaLumia
03-19-2012, 04:02 PM
well, that's never gonna happen...lol..I luv Martha and all,but...reality check,aisle 3 please...
and I never heard of Cowell making dismissive remarks about Diana Ross..he worships her..

Roberta75
03-19-2012, 04:10 PM
well, that's never gonna happen...lol..I luv Martha and all,but...reality check,aisle 3 please...
and I never heard of Cowell making dismissive remarks about Diana Ross..he worships her..

"reality check,aisle 3 please"

Hello POT this is Kettle. I'm glad the thought of Martha Reeves being signed as a judge on the X Factor amuses you but you may end up eating your words. I have sent in my suggestion to the X Factor and I explained in detail why Miss Reeves should be the next judge. I find nothing amusing about my suggestion. The woman is a Motown legend and looks and sounds amazing for 71 years old.

Roberta

smark21
03-19-2012, 04:23 PM
I'd like to see the Diva of the Parking Lot concert, Shantal Baker, as the new X Factor Judge.

LadySingsBlues
03-19-2012, 04:53 PM
Martha Reeves would be a great choice for a judge on the X Factor. Martha's music is timeless and she's a recognizable name to all ages. Martha Reeves knows the music business and she's respected by everyone plus she has great business sense.

Martha Reeves has to be the X Factor's next judge.

Roberta

No, she's not. LOL But I guess I respect your fanaticism.

Roberta75
03-19-2012, 04:54 PM
No, she's not. LOL But I guess I respect your fanaticism.

I beg to differ but appreciate your respect.

Roberta

copley
03-19-2012, 07:57 PM
Roberta, if Martha was in her 30's, still having hits, was a big name with the street kids, then she just might be in with a chance if she wanted such a job. However she is none of these things. In fact she has as much chance of being an X Factor judge as you or I have! For the record I have loved Martha since day one and have all her Motown recordings including several that are still unissued. I'm also in touch with reality.

Roberta75
03-19-2012, 08:04 PM
Roberta, if Martha was in her 30's, still having hits, was a big name with the street kids, then she just might be in with a chance if she wanted such a job. However she is none of these things. In fact she has as much chance of being an X Factor judge as you or I have! For the record I have loved Martha since day one and have all her Motown recordings including several that are still unissued. I'm also in touch with reality.

I am also in touch with reality but I strongly believe Martha Reeves would be a great mentor and judge which is why I wrote the producers and Mr. Cowell a letter stating why Miss Reeves should be considered.

Best to you,

Roberta

copley
03-19-2012, 08:13 PM
Do you really think that your one letter to Cowell will make him go 'oh yes let's have Martha'! Anyway I do admire your enthusiasm & support for one of Motown's treasures but it ain't ever going to happen.

Jimi LaLumia
03-19-2012, 08:25 PM
it's beyond laughable..Cowell won't ever even see that letter...as if...
and I'm a Martha fan, but let's be real..getting Miss Ross on there would be a challenge,and there's an ocean of fame difference between the two ladies

Roberta75
03-19-2012, 08:33 PM
Do you really think that your one letter to Cowell will make him go 'oh yes let's have Martha'! Anyway I do admire your enthusiasm & support for one of Motown's treasures but it ain't ever going to happen.

I respectfully ask you to be positive copley.

Fondly,

Roberta

Roberta75
03-19-2012, 08:34 PM
it's beyond laughable..Cowell won't ever even see that letter...as if...
and I'm a Martha fan, but let's be real..getting Miss Ross on there would be a challenge,and there's an ocean of fame difference between the two ladies

You are making a fool of yourself Lalumia.

Jimi LaLumia
03-19-2012, 09:02 PM
there's no extra charge, it's on the house....lol..

franjoy56
03-20-2012, 12:35 AM
I never saw the x factor and mistakenly thought that who ever is chosen has to sing, but apparently it is a show that judges talent, with that said, I do beleive Martha would be a good choice since she knows a lot about music and was one hell of a singer in the 60's outshinning Diana on many of those hit songs. Today Martha's voice is not what it once was, but as far as a judge she could be good. Unfortunately it seems that her chances if it depends on Cowell, she won't see the light of day on this show, because her name is not recognizable with a lot of young fans, Diana is a different story, but like others have said she would not be interested in such a task because she does not do ensembles, and forget about being in a spot where she has to be booed for judging in an uncomfortable situation, didn't she do that with Mary, Flo, and Cindy years ago [[making all of the decisons for the supremes).

franjoy56
03-20-2012, 12:52 AM
Martha's version of "Love Make Me Do FoolishThings" sounds much better than i heard her in
recent years, if that is a recent footage, it is not bad at all. I hope Martha gets on the show

it would do her and the show a lot of good, but if its up to cowell, i don't think so.

jobeterob
03-20-2012, 03:48 AM
On this one, I'm with the crowd that says Martha Reeves doesnt stand a chance. Sad, but for me, I see that as a fact of life today.

And I cant see Diana Ross saying yes to this.