PDA

View Full Version : Dionne on "Entertainment Tonight" Discussing Whitney

test

daviddesper
03-14-2012, 12:58 AM
Dionne Warwick was the featured guest on Tuesday night's edition of Entertainment Tonight. They talked to her quite a bit in two separate installments, but it was evident to me that she was choosing her words very carefully so as to protect Whitney's image and the loyalty of the family, which I guess is to be expected. She expressed the opinion that Whitney died of a heart attack but would not come right out and say what might have led to it.

Toward the end of her on-air time, they showed a segment that either excited or infuriated the viewers, depending on how one feels about Dionne. She was shown in a studio recording a new version of "Be Aware", that wonderful song from her 1972 "Dionne" album. They then said that she was working on a new album in honor of her 50th anniversary and that it would include the new version of that song and another Bacharach/David composition.

So I guess that news is exciting if you are a devout Dionne fan, as I am, but I could see how it might have looked as if she took a national television opportunity to divert the attention away from Whitney on to herself. I guess I couldn't blame anyone if they took it that way.

jack020
03-14-2012, 03:08 AM
Se might have been acting strange on occasions, at Whitney's memorial service she acted with grace.
Dionne's music has been giving me pleasure much longer than Whitney's and I think she deserves some respect.
I am looking forward to the new album.

reese
03-14-2012, 07:53 AM
I didn't find anything infuriating about the inclusion of showing footage of Dionne recording her new album. The interview might even have been scheduled before Whitney's death made it take another turn.

Dionne spent the majority talking about a still fresh and rather sad subject. I'm paraphrasing here. But she said something like she was lucky that she had work to divert her attention from the sadness, and that she knew at some point she would really fall apart when it really hit her. She also mentioned that this was the last time she saw herself talking about it.

randy_russi
03-14-2012, 08:28 AM
I didn't take it that she was promoting herself or her new CD, in fact, I thought the way she presented herself was
so unflattering. No wig, cropped gray hair, those big rim glasses. I would think she would make herself look more
like a celebrity or star rather than an old lady.

marv2
03-14-2012, 09:54 AM
I had heard of Dionne's new album to commemorate her 50th Anniversary months ago, so I do not feel that she was being opportunistic at all. They may have even asked her about what she has been up to lately. I love Dionne Warwick!

marv2
03-14-2012, 10:17 AM
I did not catch the E.T. interview but here is the one Dionne did on Good Morning America recently:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zgdxa4Rqw_E

randy_russi
03-14-2012, 11:32 AM
Again, check out her look--the clothes and the hair.

daviddesper
03-14-2012, 04:48 PM
Well actually I am glad that none of you found that offensive. I am a big fan too and as such I hate it when she is criticized. But I know she has her enemies and I was just afraid there would be people that would jump on her case about it. Do we have any idea when this album will be released and if any other commemorative projects are planned? I have been told that technically "Don't Make Me Over" was released in November of 1962, if the goal is to make it closer to the actual anniversary.

carlo
03-14-2012, 04:53 PM
I guess Dionne has never really been a glamour girl at heart? I could understand if she wants to dress more comfortably, but you can still dress comfortably and look good. She would look better if she dressed younger. Maybe if she wore a dressy black blazer over top with black pants and some nice flats...that would look better and she could still be comfortable.

This isn't too bad though. I saw her in a TV interview last year and she was wearing big framed glasses and a baseball cap. At least she isn't hiding her face in these clips.

reese
03-14-2012, 06:40 PM
Well actually I am glad that none of you found that offensive. I am a big fan too and as such I hate it when she is criticized. But I know she has her enemies and I was just afraid there would be people that would jump on her case about it. Do we have any idea when this album will be released and if any other commemorative projects are planned? I have been told that technically "Don't Make Me Over" was released in November of 1962, if the goal is to make it closer to the actual anniversary.

We shall see. For her 40th anniversary, she was supposed to be recording an album with 40 of her friends doing remakes of her hits. By the time it came out, it was very streamlined to the length of a regular cd. So it'll be interesting to see what happens with this 50th anniversary project.

Roberta75
03-14-2012, 07:16 PM
I guess Dionne has never really been a glamour girl at heart? I could understand if she wants to dress more comfortably, but you can still dress comfortably and look good. She would look better if she dressed younger. Maybe if she wore a dressy black blazer over top with black pants and some nice flats...that would look better and she could still be comfortable.

This isn't too bad though. I saw her in a TV interview last year and she was wearing big framed glasses and a baseball cap. At least she isn't hiding her face in these clips.

She's 72 years old so let her dress for comfort.

Roberta

Kamasu_Jr
03-15-2012, 01:56 PM
She's 72 years old so let her dress for comfort.

Roberta

I agree. She's not 22 anymore. She looks good for her age. What's wrong with that?

randy_russi
03-15-2012, 02:39 PM
Nothing's wrong with it, it's just that the goal for celebrities was to dress to impress or try to look a little better
than the average person sitting in the audience. People do spend money on celebrities and I'd think she'd
want to be comfortable, but attractive. And she was ALWAYS very attractive and stylish.

Kamasu_Jr
03-15-2012, 02:56 PM
Nothing's wrong with it, it's just that the goal for celebrities was to dress to impress or try to look a little better
than the average person sitting in the audience. People do spend money on celebrities and I'd think she'd
want to be comfortable, but attractive. And she was ALWAYS very attractive and stylish.

There comes a point in life when you get past all of that image and glamour stuff. Dionne Warwick is 72 years old. She's a veteran. Most people know she is a mother, a grandmother, etc. Who is she gonna impress at this point? It's like when Tom Jones stopped dying his hair. He no longer felt he had to do so. Dionne's just being herself and probably comfortable doing so.

randy_russi
03-15-2012, 03:28 PM
That's fine! But in my opinion she should and definitely could look much, much better and I am glad that we have
people like Diana Ross, Freda Payne, etc. that still show how good they can look at their ages, yet it also takes
a lot of work too.

glencro
03-15-2012, 04:04 PM
Great interview and I think she looks great, very comfortable

nomis
03-15-2012, 04:39 PM
I have somewhere the Solid Gold show of Whitney and Dionne doing a duet together..they sounded great she said "I want you to know the family is so proud of you.."

carlo
03-15-2012, 05:39 PM
I agree with you, Randy. Last year, I had made a comment about Dionne's interview with Joy Behar, because she was wearing a baseball cap. Someone chewed me up over it. When I was younger [[which was not all that long ago), I remember we were not allowed to wear hats in school because it was a sign of disrespect.

I think if you're a celebrity or artist who is still releasing product, you need to be conscious of the way in which you are presenting yourself and marketing yourself, regardless of what stage in life you're in. Not everyone is going to simply respect the fact that you're a legend. If you're trying to sell your new music to the general public, which includes people who haven't taken interest in you or your music in the past, then I think it would be wise to take care of yourself and the way you present yourself. Dionne even acknowledges this. In her book, she devoted an entire chapter to how you must be conscious of how you market yourself as a brand. I'm surprised she isn't taking her own advice to heart.

There are plenty of ways to dress comfortably and still look good. I'm cool with whatever way Dionne wants/chooses to dress. However, if I was in her shoes, I would take into consideration the way in which I market and present myself, because the general public and the industry that I'm a part of expects me to look a certain way. These types of things ultimately affect the way in which people perceive you. I know it's shallow, but that's the truth. If she doesn't care, then more power to her. I know I would care.

Roberta75
03-15-2012, 06:03 PM
I agree with you, Randy. Last year, I had made a comment about Dionne's interview with Joy Behar, because she was wearing a baseball cap. Someone chewed me up over it. When I was younger [[which was not all that long ago), I remember we were not allowed to wear hats in school because it was a sign of disrespect.

I think if you're a celebrity or artist who is still releasing product, you need to be conscious of the way in which you are presenting yourself and marketing yourself, regardless of what stage in life you're in. Not everyone is going to simply respect the fact that you're a legend. If you're trying to sell your new music to the general public, which includes people who haven't taken interest in you or your music in the past, then I think it would be wise to take care of yourself and the way you present yourself. Dionne even acknowledges this. In her book, she devoted an entire chapter to how you must be conscious of how you market yourself as a brand. I'm surprised she isn't taking her own advice to heart.

There are plenty of ways to dress comfortably and still look good.

Maybe, and only maybe, Miss Warwick is entering a different/new phase in her life hence her more masculine attire. Whatever Dionne does is fine with me.

Roberta

nomis
03-15-2012, 06:08 PM
you should wear any damn thing that pleases YOU...if you a buy a cd because you see someone on tv in a red sequin dress your retarded..its up to the individual how they chose to present themselves because they own their body and can put anything they want on it..what she says and sings is important a baseball cap is totally irrelevant and says more about the person commenting that it does about Dionne..her throat still sounds the same if shes in beads or sneakers..what people do in their lives and how they treat others is what matters if you think someone is a 'better' person if they dress nice..then I find your phoneyness a sad inditment of culture..sure look pretty if you want to in life but I would like to think that you can see a person not an image..leave her be..

smark21
03-15-2012, 08:49 PM

There are plenty of ways to dress comfortably and still look good. I'm cool with whatever way Dionne wants/chooses to dress. However, if I was in her shoes, I would take into consideration the way in which I market and present myself, because the general public and the industry that I'm a part of expects me to look a certain way. These types of things ultimately affect the way in which people perceive you. I know it's shallow, but that's the truth. If she doesn't care, then more power to her. I know I would care.

I don't know...some musicians look hot wearing a baseball cap.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fw6Bsz639E

randy_russi
03-16-2012, 08:57 AM
Carlo and I both have expressed our opinions. I have been around celebrities, particularly female singers, since the
'60s. Image has always been a topic of importance and I don't care how Dionne Warwick dresses or looks in her
private life, but I do think she is not presenting herself in a flattering way by doing interviews on TV, etc.
I certainly hope in her concert performances she wears a wig and some kind of colorful gown. I would expect that
if I bought a ticket to see her. Again, my opinion! She is a legend and a great artist who I think should look the
part regardless of being 72.

Roberta75
03-16-2012, 11:47 AM
Dionne is 72 and still making music. She still is a handsome woman and maybe she is more comfortable in sweat pants, a baseball cap and sneakers. Perhaps she has issues with her feet. If you have problems with your feet a good pair of sneakers can be your feet's best friend.

Roberta

Kamasu_Jr
03-16-2012, 05:41 PM
you should wear any damn thing that pleases YOU...if you a buy a cd because you see someone on tv in a red sequin dress your retarded..its up to the individual how they chose to present themselves because they own their body and can put anything they want on it..what she says and sings is important a baseball cap is totally irrelevant and says more about the person commenting that it does about Dionne..her throat still sounds the same if shes in beads or sneakers..what people do in their lives and how they treat others is what matters if you think someone is a 'better' person if they dress nice..then I find your phoneyness a sad inditment of culture..sure look pretty if you want to in life but I would like to think that you can see a person not an image..leave her be..

I couldn't have said it better myself. All this emphasis on "stars and image" is ridiculous. IT'S WHY OUR CULTURE IS SO CELEBRITY OBSESSED WITH THE KARDASHIANS AND OSCAR RED CARPETS. IT'S SILLY and a distraction from other more important things. Throughout her career, Dionne Warwick has dressed up and dressed down depending on her mood. It's up to her how she wants to look. She wasn't really selling anything but commenting on the loss of her cousin. Dionne has had a busy and rough month. The Good Morning America interview was conducted early in the morning. She might have looked ridiculous showing up at the ABC studios at 6 a.m. in an evening gown and full makeup.

carlo
03-17-2012, 04:19 PM
I agree that she would have looked ridiculous in an evening gown during an early AM interview. However, I think she would have looked a little better by wearing something a little more dressy, but still comfortable. It's not really hard to buy a blazer and wear it over top. It's a simple way to take your attire to the next level. They aren't expensive and they aren't uncomfortable. Just saying....

Yes, she was talking about her new 50th anniversary studio CD to be released soon. She mentioned it on Good Morning America and Entertainment Tonight...so in a way, she was promoting something...

Roberta75
03-17-2012, 05:54 PM
I agree that she would have looked ridiculous in an evening gown during an early AM interview. However, I think she would have looked a little better by wearing something a little more dressy, but still comfortable. It's not really hard to buy a blazer and wear it over top. It's a simple way to take your attire to the next level. They aren't expensive and they aren't uncomfortable. Just saying....

Yes, she was talking about her new 50th anniversary studio CD to be released soon. She mentioned it on Good Morning America and Entertainment Tonight...so in a way, she was promoting something...

Dionne Warwick is a legend and can wear whatever the heck she likes. We shouldn't be judging a 70 year old woman who is dressing to express herself. PERIOD!!!

Roberta

carlo
03-17-2012, 07:05 PM
I'm sorry if I offended anyone. For the record, I never said Dionne's clothes looked ugly or terrible. After all, I did say, "I'm cool with whatever way she chooses to dress". I'm just expressing my opinion, which is that it's easy to "up your look" through simple things. I attended a "Dress for Success" seminar years ago and we were taught many of these things, so that's why I feel image is important. Anyway, none of this is worth arguing over...

marv2
03-17-2012, 08:26 PM
They are just lucky Dionne didn't pull out a cigarette and had a smoke. She is not trying to impress anyone anymore.

luke
03-17-2012, 09:04 PM
lol Marv; what kind of cigarette? JUST PLAYIN; Carlo you have every right to express your opinion; some people just dont know how to be civil if they disagree. You are always a gentleman!

carlo
03-17-2012, 11:34 PM
Thank you Luke. I appreciate that.

Kamasu_Jr
03-18-2012, 12:52 AM
And those who have an opposing view have a right to express that opinion too. No one called out anyone personally in this thread, but expressed that at this point, Ms. Warwick can pretty much wear whatever she wants.

Roberta75
03-18-2012, 10:05 AM
I'm sorry if I offended anyone. For the record, I never said Dionne's clothes looked ugly or terrible. After all, I did say, "I'm cool with whatever way she chooses to dress". I'm just expressing my opinion, which is that it's easy to "up your look" through simple things. I attended a "Dress for Success" seminar years ago and we were taught many of these things, so that's why I feel image is important. Anyway, none of this is worth arguing over...

You shouldn't be so sensitive dear Carlo. Image is only important if you want it to be important. Maybe Dionne wants to wear baseball caps, sweatpants and sneakers because they make her comfortable. Again it may all be for her feet or her need to embrace her masculine side which is her right and her business.

Nobody is attacking you so there is no need for you to apologize.

Have a beautiful and very blessed Sunday.

Roberta

Roberta75
03-18-2012, 10:06 AM
And those who have an opposing view have a right to express that opinion too. No one called out anyone personally in this thread, but expressed that at this point, Ms. Warwick can pretty much wear whatever she wants.

Exactly kamasu. Luke seems to create drama where no drama exists,

arrr&bee
03-18-2012, 12:27 PM
Dionne looks fine to me,i think it's refreshing that a legend chooses to appear with some natural hair color[grey]as opposed to trying to look twenty[anyone seen wayne newton recently]she's still an attractive lady.

calibaby
03-19-2012, 02:05 AM
When I saw the interview, I was surprised at the gray hair/masculine clothing. However, she was grieving hard. In light of the persisting rumors about her being gay and being that she is 72 and an icon in the industry, perhaps she feels comfortable enough to just be herself.

Roberta75
03-19-2012, 08:08 PM
When I saw the interview, I was surprised at the gray hair/masculine clothing. However, she was grieving hard. In light of the persisting rumors about her being gay and being that she is 72 and an icon in the industry, perhaps she feels comfortable enough to just be herself.

Interesting that you mention the rumors about Dionne being a lesbian lady. I have never heard those rumors until today, and I am not sure whether to believe them or not. My gut is telling me no, but Dionne has been looking real masculine recently.

You have given me food for thought calibaby.

Roberta

jillfoster
03-19-2012, 09:29 PM
I didn't take it that she was promoting herself or her new CD, in fact, I thought the way she presented herself was
so unflattering. No wig, cropped gray hair, those big rim glasses. I would think she would make herself look more
like a celebrity or star rather than an old lady.

I hate to break this to you.... but she IS an old lady.

jobeterob
03-20-2012, 03:09 AM
I agree Dionne Warwick is now in the senior category. She definitely says and does what she wants and as a celebrity, I suppose she is open game for how she acts and looks and what she says. She certainly appeared to not give one damn what anyone thought when she appeared on that Donald Trump show; and she doesn't need to care if she doesn't want to. But it will and does provoke comment.

She looks pretty tough and the lesbian comments have been around for quite a few years; if she is, she is. But the look wasn't really becoming.

And either ET made the plug gratuitously because they didn't pay Dionne or she demanded they make the plug as part of the package.

marv2
03-20-2012, 02:15 PM
Dionne Warwick is not a lesbian.

Roberta75
03-20-2012, 05:54 PM
I agree Dionne Warwick is now in the senior category. She definitely says and does what she wants and as a celebrity, I suppose she is open game for how she acts and looks and what she says. She certainly appeared to not give one damn what anyone thought when she appeared on that Donald Trump show; and she doesn't need to care if she doesn't want to. But it will and does provoke comment.

She looks pretty tough and the lesbian comments have been around for quite a few years; if she is, she is. But the look wasn't really becoming.

And either ET made the plug gratuitously because they didn't pay Dionne or she demanded they make the plug as part of the package.

While Dionne has been looking rather masculine as of late I still don't think she's a Lesbian lady. Sorry, but my gut tell me no.

Roberta

marv2
03-20-2012, 11:41 PM
While Dionne has been looking rather masculine as of late I still don't think she's a Lesbian lady. Sorry, but my gut tell me no.

Roberta

Yeah that and her kids, her grandkids and she herself would punch you in the mouth for lying on her...that's if you lied on her that way..........

marv2
03-20-2012, 11:42 PM

Would like for me to start talking about what I've heard about Diana Ross etc,etc?

daviddesper
03-21-2012, 12:06 AM
Didn't the lesbian rumors get started wayyyyyyyy back in the 60s and have some connection to Marlene Deitrich and her alleged attraction to all the young female singers of the day? Seems like I read that someplace.

marv2
03-21-2012, 12:13 AM
Didn't the lesbian rumors get started wayyyyyyyy back in the 60s and have some connection to Marlene Deitrich and her alleged attraction to all the young female singers of the day? Seems like I read that someplace.

First of all I have not heard anything like that even remotely pertaining to Dionne Warwick in the 50 years that since she rose to prominence as a singer/entertainer. Whatever Marlene Dietrich's deal was it has nothing to do with who and what Dionne Warwick is.

marv2
03-21-2012, 12:19 AM
Calibaby sounds just like one of the folk that Ralph had to recently ban from here. One that had this agenda that he tried to work into each and every thread that he posted to.

Jobeterob and Roberta fell for that female caricature stuff that Diana Ross has been selling all these years to the point where they believe that any woman that is not all dolled up with a lot of fake accessories is not a girly girl! That is the basis for their comments about Ms. Warwick.

Roberta75
03-21-2012, 12:37 AM

I had never heard the Lesbian rumors about Dionne until jobeterob mentioned them the other day daviddesper. While I think Dionne is looking real masculine these past couple of years I don't believe that Dionne is a Lesbian lady. I think she's dressing for comfort and not for glamor.

Roberta

jillfoster
03-21-2012, 02:07 AM
Would like for me to start talking about what I've heard about Diana Ross etc,etc?

Your'e not going to bring up that rumored 3-way that David Babcock told me about with Gene Simmons and another woman, are you?

smark21
03-21-2012, 07:53 AM
Your'e not going to bring up that rumored 3-way that David Babcock told me about with Gene Simmons and another woman, are you?

Never heard that before. Well if true, I hope Diana had a good time and had an orgasm.

marv2
03-21-2012, 09:40 AM

Of course not that one........

jillfoster
03-21-2012, 10:26 AM
Never heard that before. Well if true, I hope Diana had a good time and had an orgasm.

Truthfully... when David Babcock told me that I was like "Oh please, bitch". I thought that one was pretty far fetched. Not that I don't think Gene Simmons would TRY to arrange something like that. THAT I would believe.

marv2
03-21-2012, 12:48 PM
Truthfully... when David Babcock told me that I was like "Oh please, bitch". I thought that one was pretty far fetched. Not that I don't think Gene Simmons would TRY to arrange something like that. THAT I would believe.

Actually, at first I thought you were referring to another incident, hehehehehehe.... I'm not going there[[unless I am pushed.).

Gene Simmons is disgusting.

Penny
03-22-2012, 12:25 AM
You all talk like there is something wrong with being a lesbian. That is shameful. My daughter is a lesbian and a wonderful, talented woman. I love her with all my heart. There is nothing wrong with her.

I don't know who Dionne or Diana sleeps with. I never even thought about it until you people brought it up. It doesn't matter to me. I love their voices and the music they have made.

It reeks of homophobia in this thread and on this site from time to time.

Penny:[[

marv2
03-22-2012, 12:42 AM
You all talk like there is something wrong with being a lesbian. That is shameful. My daughter is a lesbian and a wonderful, talented woman. I love her with all my heart. There is nothing wrong with her.

I don't know who Dionne or Diana sleeps with. I never even thought about it until you people brought it up. It doesn't matter to me. I love their voices and the music they have made.

This thread isn't about lesbians. That is the point! It is about a recent interview Dionne Warwick did regarding the recent loss of a loved one, Whitney Houston. All the talk about what she is wearing and how it looked masculine etc,etc was just diversions. I think Dionne handled the interview just fine and the interviewer was sympathetic thankfully.

Roberta75
03-22-2012, 01:03 AM

I have a gay nephew Penny and I adore and love the young man so much.

You are right about homophobia on this site. Only a month or so ago a notorious poster got away with calling Gay people freaks which is shocking in 2012.

I don't think Dionne is a Lesbian lady but if she was it wouldn't bother me one lick. All I said was she was dressing in a masculine way as of late but it's probably because she's dressing for comfort and not for glamor and her flat shoes are probably real comfortable on her feet.

Maybe you should send Dionne some of that Avon Mint Foot Cream that I bought from you. It's the best thing I have ever applied to my feet.

God bless you Penny.

Fondly,

Roberta

marv2
03-22-2012, 03:35 AM
I have a gay nephew Penny and I adore and love the young man so much.

You are right about homophobia on this site. Only a month or so ago a notorious poster got away with calling Gay people freaks which is shocking in 2012.

I don't think Dionne is a Lesbian lady but if she was it wouldn't bother me one lick. All I said was she was dressing in a masculine way as of late but it's probably because she's dressing for comfort and not for glamor and her flat shoes are probably real comfortable on her feet.

Maybe you should send Dionne some of that Avon Mint Foot Cream that I bought from you. It's the best thing I have ever applied to my feet.

God bless you Penny.

Fondly,

Roberta

Would you mind staying on topic?

arrr&bee
03-22-2012, 11:05 AM
never heard that before. Well if true, i hope diana had a good time and had an orgasm.orgasm?? Isn't that something like a hopsicord?? And do they still make those???

milven
03-22-2012, 11:48 AM
Would you mind staying on topic?
http://www.ualberta.ca/~pletendr/images/rotfl.gif
Or, in your case, hehehehehehehe
It is sad when we go off topic. But at least the off topic was still about Dionne. Your comment below took the topic totally off Dionne and institigated others to mention three ways and orgasms and other stuff that had nothing to do with Dionne. WOULD YOU MIND STAYING ON TOPIC?

Back on topic, Dionne was dressed comfortably on GMA. She was not performing. She was wearing flats instead of heals. You can't assume someone's sexual orientation by their appearance. And also, who cares?

marv2
03-22-2012, 12:51 PM
http://www.ualberta.ca/~pletendr/images/rotfl.gif
Or, in your case, hehehehehehehe
It is sad when we go off topic. But at least the off topic was still about Dionne. Your comment below took the topic totally off Dionne and institigated others to mention three ways and orgasms and other stuff that had nothing to do with Dionne. WOULD YOU MIND STAYING ON TOPIC?

Back on topic, Dionne was dressed comfortably on GMA. She was not performing. She was wearing flats instead of heals. You can't assume someone's sexual orientation by their appearance. And also, who cares?

Oh just blow it out your ear. Diane was just used to get them to get off of Dionne and the silly rumor that Calibaby injected into this thread out of nowhere in an attempt to keep his/her agenda going on somewhere at SDF! Back on topic, sure now that it has been exhausted. You want to pick a fight?

milven
03-22-2012, 01:25 PM
... Diane was just used to get them to get off of Dionne

Well, right there you admitted that you got off topic. So why do you mind if others get off topic?

Oh just blow it out your ear.... You want to pick a fight?

Why do YOU ask. Sounds more like YOU want to pick a fight. Telling me on various occasions to blow it out of my ear, that I don't know anything, that I don't need to know everything, that I'm stupid etc.

But you can get away with calling members names. After all, Sir Ralph has made you omnipotent so
if you pick a fight with me, I am sure that he will allow you to win. Nevertheless, I usually do not pick fights. I kind of outgrew that. Do you still enjoy picking fights? Well, I have to go to my accountant and get my taxes done. So you take care of yourself. You are much loved on this site. Touch.

honest man
03-22-2012, 04:09 PM
SNAP mate we have something in common,where's KNOBBY , cheers.

simplysupreme
03-23-2012, 01:36 AM
Excellent observation, Milven!

Roberta75
03-23-2012, 08:59 PM
Well, right there you admitted that you got off topic. So why do you mind if others get off topic?

Why do YOU ask. Sounds more like YOU want to pick a fight. Telling me on various occasions to blow it out of my ear, that I don't know anything, that I don't need to know everything, that I'm stupid etc.

But you can get away with calling members names. After all, Sir Ralph has made you omnipotent so
if you pick a fight with me, I am sure that he will allow you to win. Nevertheless, I usually do not pick fights. I kind of outgrew that. Do you still enjoy picking fights? Well, I have to go to my accountant and get my taxes done. So you take care of yourself. You are much loved on this site. Touch.

Stick him on ignore Milven. He's a horrible person who craves attention, even though most of it is negative.

Fondly,

Roberta

jobeterob
03-25-2012, 03:51 AM
Luckily, I never knew these people early in life.

I was told that many of the jealousies arose over who got the Motown promos etc.; and there were some very connected people that got them all; but they are gone from here.

I think Marv is Eso or at least they should meet in a love fest of sorts. I think it might be a blast to watch for 5 to 10 minutes.

Poor Dionne......her few minutes here are gone.

marv2
03-25-2012, 10:28 AM
Luckily, I never knew these people early in life.

I was told that many of the jealousies arose over who got the Motown promos etc.; and there were some very connected people that got them all; but they are gone from here.

I think Marv is Eso or at least they should meet in a love fest of sorts. I think it might be a blast to watch for 5 to 10 minutes.

Poor Dionne......her few minutes here are gone.

Does anyone know what this guy is talking about? I always thought Fruit Loops was just a cereal! hehehehehehe......

milven
03-25-2012, 10:51 AM
Does anyone know what this guy is talking about? I always thought Fruit Loops was just a cereal! hehehehehehe......

It's possible that I may have known the answer but then blew it outta my ear as per your instructions above.

Oh just blow it out your ear....

randy_russi
03-26-2012, 11:58 AM
Foks, I still have to say that regardless of her age and regardless of her legendary status, if Dionne Warwick still wants
to work as a performer she still has to depend on venues and promoters to book her. Image is soooo important!
Looks can get you the gig or get you passed on and it was always that way in this business and still is that way.

smark21
03-28-2012, 09:33 PM
She's in the studio audience of American Idol sitting next to Jordin
Sparks. No wig, short grey hair and shades.

ms_m
03-28-2012, 10:04 PM
Foks, I still have to say that regardless of her age and regardless of her legendary status, if Dionne Warwick still wants
to work as a performer she still has to depend on venues and promoters to book her. Image is soooo important!
Looks can get you the gig or get you passed on and it was always that way in this business and still is that way.

Randy Russi I don't necessarily agree and it's probably safer to say it varies from one promoter to the next. Many of the promoters I talk to these days, even ones that book older acts, are kids. At least compared to me they are kids and they are more interested in packing the venue than the clothes an artist wears. Especially since many are a lot more laid back and casual in their dress. Also, they probably will not judge an artist based on how she or he dressed while during an interview since many will require tapes of various shows you have done or they have seen you in shows before even approaching you for a booking. Based on what I've seen, many old school artists stay pretty true to the glitz and glamour when on stage but many will dress down off stage. I don't see it as that big of an issue to be honest, but that's just my take.

ms_m
03-28-2012, 11:01 PM
Something else just crossed my mind. Is it possible there is a bit of a double standard going on? I started thinking back on interviews I've seen with male artists who were extremely casual in dress and I don't remember any big deal being made over it.

Sometimes, and this is from a woman's perspective, a certain way of dress is simply comfortable for you because it's what you have become accustomed to. If heels and full make up is what you have always known, you feel naked with anything less. Flip the script and like many others have noted, sometimes you reach a certain age and don't worry about what others think and focus on what you think and feel....but hitting that stage is a job, your livelihood... and like many people in any job, they dress for what is appropriate and even expected for that job.

Now taking this to another level...in this day and age, image means different looks for different people and I can think of several young artists whose image [[style of dress) truly perplexes me [[to put it nicely) but they still get gigs.

If Dionne Warwick starts showing up in sweats and tennis shoes at gigs then maybe we should become concerned although...if she gets and keeps people in the seats consistently from venue to venue dressed in sweats and tennis shoes....trust me, promoters will not blink an eye...may not like it because they think she should be dressed a certain way but if she's making them money, they will get over it.:)

Ok, I'm over my 2 cents worth...LOL

randy_russi
03-29-2012, 08:45 AM
From the women performers I know in show business, all of whom are from the '60s just like Dionne, image is still very
important. There was a performer who couldn't get a booking agent to work with her at one time because she had
taken on a sloppy appearance for awhile--and that was an off stage appearance.

randy_russi
03-29-2012, 08:47 AM
Also, I'd like to add, being interviewed on television IS an appearance so the way you look does matter. And that's
of course my opinion too.