PDA

View Full Version : Shalamar's "Big Fun"

test

franjoy56
03-10-2012, 11:53 PM
I pulled out a copy of the original album by Shalamar "Big Fun" I love every song on this album. Hewitt's vocals are in top "Second Time Around" "I owe you one" form, so is co lead's Jodie Watley esp "Right in the Socket" I know this is the first album featuring hewitt as lead singer but does this album include any leads by Jeffrey Daniel I hear another lead voice esp on "Take me to the river" or was it Mumford or Brown the groups previous lead singers.\ I didn't care for any of their output after Watley and Daniels left however i believe the group the original lineup reocrded four albums with Big Fun and Friends being the best.

glencro
03-11-2012, 08:39 PM
I love that album and haven't heard it in years. "Take Me To The River" was so funky. Not sure if Jeffrey was featured on any leads but wow, thanks for bringing this album up.

Jerry Oz
03-11-2012, 08:44 PM
"Second Time Around" was one of my favorite SOLAR cuts. I think Howard Hewitt is hugely under-rated as a singer from the '80s and I'm also a huge Leon Isaac Sylvers III fan and almost everything that he did for Dick Griffey was perfect for me. I especially loved "Over and Over" which I believe Shalamar released when they essentially weren't even talking to each other anymore. The bass line and Hewitt's vocals on that song put me in a great mood anytime I hear it.

roger
03-12-2012, 05:11 AM
I didn't care for any of their output after Watley and Daniels left however i believe the group the original lineup reocrded four albums with Big Fun and Friends being the best.

I think their "Three For Love" L.P. [[the one released between "Big Fun" and "Friends") is very worthwhile too .. especially "Attention To My Baby" which has a slightly harder edge to it than most of their material and is the reason I bought the L.P. in the first place as it looked like it was never going to be released as a single!!

Also "Work It Out" is nice and mellow and their anthemic "This Is for the Lover In You" is worth a listen .. not to mention "Pop Along Kid" which is a celebration of the dancing skills of JEFFREY DANIELS, the U.K. Top 40 hit "Make That Move" .. and .. indeed ALL THE L.P. :)

Has "Three For Love" ever come out on C.D.? If so I've never seen a copy.

Roger

glencro
03-12-2012, 05:39 AM
[QUOTE=roger;99228]I think their "Three For Love" L.P. [[the one released between "Big Fun" and "Friends") is very worthwhile too .. especially "Attention To My Baby" which has a slightly harder edge to it than most of their material and is the reason I bought the L.P. in the first place as it looked like it was never going to be released as a single!!

Forgot about that one. "Attention To My Baby" was my song

marv2
03-12-2012, 09:10 AM
Great album, corny album cover! This was the first Shalamar album I bought and it is still listenable today.

tsull1
03-13-2012, 08:56 PM
One of my favorite groups and albums, yeah the cover is corny, but "Second Time Around" is so awesome as is "I Owe You One."