PDA

View Full Version : PBS Calls for a Supreme Re-Union

test

Pages : [1] 2

milven
03-10-2012, 10:45 PM
Fans on the message boards have been calling for some kind of Supreme re-union for decades. One suggestion was to do a re-union concert on PBS as a fundraiser. Tonight, during the break of Diana at Central Park, the two hosts were asking for pledges and then one of the hosts looked into the camera and made a direct appeal to Diana Ross

"Diana, if you are watching, we really want you to get together with The Supremes and do a tour. All of you. And while you are looking great on television, you were looking phenomenal, and you are an extraordinary talent, but share the stage and come back to us. You'll make a lot of your fans very very happy." And then her co-host says " We'd love to have her here , wouldn't we?"

A few minutes later, the host again looked into the camera and said:

" We found Diana Ross. Diana, I'm talking to you. okay, just me and you. We would love to have you come and share your memories of this 1983 evening. ...."

Jimi LaLumia
03-10-2012, 11:01 PM
good luck with that....lol..I enjoyed watching this on PBS in NY, it's on again tonight at midnight..

luke
03-10-2012, 11:22 PM
Being shown again at midnight in NYC area.

Jimi LaLumia
03-10-2012, 11:40 PM
can't help but to love her...she's really just a big kid, isn't she...tantrums and all.

Roberta75
03-10-2012, 11:40 PM
Fans on the message boards have been calling for some kind of Supreme re-union for decades. One suggestion was to do a re-union concert on PBS as a fundraiser. Tonight, during the break of Diana at Central Park, the two hosts were asking for pledges and then one of the hosts looked into the camera and made a direct appeal to Diana Ross

"Diana, if you are watching, we really want you to get together with The Supremes and do a tour. All of you. And while you are looking great on television, you were looking phenomenal, and you are an extraordinary talent, but share the stage and come back to us. You'll make a lot of your fans very very happy." And then her co-host says " We'd love to have her here , wouldn't we?"

A few minutes later, the host again looked into the camera and said:

" We found Diana Ross. Diana, I'm talking to you. okay, just me and you. We would love to have you come and share your memories of this 1983 evening. ...."

Dream on baby. Ain't gonna happen. LOL

Ngroove
03-11-2012, 02:10 AM
Dream on baby. Ain't gonna happen. LOL

Agreed, based on past hostilities, notably between Diane and Mary, based on Diane’s inability to accept someone else having some spotlight, other than herself...
[[Sorry people, if this may come off as a snide remark against Diane, may she remain eternally fabulous on her own right, whether with them or solo, but I'm still pretty jaded since been reading the "truth" in Mary Wilson's book).

jillfoster
03-11-2012, 02:53 AM
Oh to hell with them. Put these bitches aside, and give some love to women more deserving, and who are still together, the Flirtations. I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm sick and tired of begging women who make 50 times more than I do, for crumbs. If they don't care about the people who made them rich... not enough to suck it up to even pose for a picture together, then whoever it is that is causing the roadblock can kiss my ass. and I'll take my money elsewhere. Such as the fact that I did NOT buy the "More Hits" or "Diana 76" CD's, but I spent my money on the Apollas CD instead. And I'm getting much more enjoyment out of it.

Constantin
03-11-2012, 03:19 AM
but I'm still pretty jaded since been reading the "truth" in Mary Wilson's book).

And you know why you used quotation marks for the word truth! :-)

stephanie
03-11-2012, 06:21 AM
hey Jill,
Im with you. I will continue to buy Supremes music which I already have most of it but we should show some love for the girl groups who get along and who do cherish their fans who are not as well known.

144man
03-11-2012, 07:18 AM
... but I spent my money on the Apollas CD instead. And I'm getting much more enjoyment out of it.

I bought that Apollas' CD as well and it was worth every penny.

marv2
03-11-2012, 07:30 AM
The inability to share the spotlight and a total disrespect of the fans are the prominient reasons. You all make very good points.

marv2
03-11-2012, 07:32 AM
Oh to hell with them. Put these bitches aside, and give some love to women more deserving, and who are still together, the Flirtations. I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm sick and tired of begging women who make 50 times more than I do, for crumbs. If they don't care about the people who made them rich... not enough to suck it up to even pose for a picture together, then whoever it is that is causing the roadblock can kiss my ass. and I'll take my money elsewhere. Such as the fact that I did NOT buy the "More Hits" or "Diana 76" CD's, but I spent my money on the Apollas CD instead. And I'm getting much more enjoyment out of it.

Excellent points Jill !

marv2
03-11-2012, 07:34 AM
And you know why you used quotation marks for the word truth! :-)

Well, it's been 25 years now since the release of "Dreamgirl, My Life As A Supreme" and I am still waiting on a lawsuit for lying..........

blueskies
03-11-2012, 09:56 AM

A resounding AMEN to that!

motown4ever
03-11-2012, 10:29 AM
I admire Mary Wilson or "Mare", she's had an incredible life as a Supreme singing with/behind Diana Ross & Jean Terrell and her struggles to start a solo career were poignant as well. I've always felt she should have left Motown in the 70's to have any type of a real solo career. No way was Berry Gordy going to have her become a star like Stevie,Smokey,Marvin,Michael,Rick or let alone Diana! Gladys Knight,Martha Reeves,Jean Terrell and Mary Wells had the smarts or courage to try,fail or succeed...for better or worse. Also I felt her book was lacking in the whole "truth" When Mary Wilson had major financial problems monthly bills,morgage and taxes Diana Ross gave her the money to get her life together after her divorce from Pedro Ferrar. Why? Maybe ghosts of Florence Ballard or Paul Williams,to avoid bad publicity or perhaps a shock to all of us to help out another girl also from the Brewster projects who sang on all those unforgettable hit records like..."baby baby where did our love go?"

I'm sorry that omission always bothered me. If you're gonna tell the truth,tell the whole truth as my late father always told me or keep your d*** mouth shut. Sorry my dad was old school. I didn't have time-outs like my two sons have. Perhaps to paraphrase Jack Nicholson "We can't handle the truth". I love Motown but some of the "truths" I'm learning like Flo & Mary didn't sing on this song and that song shocked me but Motown was a business. Business is always about money even non-profits. It's the music that counts but all these behind the music facts take away from the music sometimes. I'm through. Time to play Wii with my boys. Peace out.

luke
03-11-2012, 10:29 AM
Im pleased PBS was direct about it. It's a satement of reality to Miss Ross. It's not about Cindy and Mary, they have been willing.

captainjames
03-11-2012, 10:32 AM
Yall [[lol)
need to let this go !!!
a word from Mary...................."Leave Diana and Me alone "
and a word from the "WISE"..........."It Is Not Gonna Happen"
the end

blueskies
03-11-2012, 11:56 AM
And if there was a reunion.....can you imagine the holocaust that would ensure on here! Diana tried to hog the spotlight....no, Mary did....oh Lord, I could see it now!

captainjames
03-11-2012, 12:04 PM
I am sure that Diana, Mary and Cindy know by now that "we" and I mean the royal "we" have made this a bitter piece of history and unfortunately some of us think we are SUPREMES or think we were there. I can even imagine the rumors about another book, movie and interviews. No No No No Let it go !!!

captainjames
03-11-2012, 12:05 PM
How about a post for Reunions we do not want to see.

1. Diana Ross and The Supremes

LadySingsBlues
03-11-2012, 12:07 PM
Diana is the star and is the one that sang on the leads. So if she has the spotlight then it is rightly so. That's what Supremes fans don't get. Maybe Mary herself too.

Ngroove
03-11-2012, 12:58 PM
Diana is the star and is the one that sang on the leads. So if she has the spotlight then it is rightly so. That's what Supremes fans don't get. Maybe Mary herself too.

All the Supremes needs to be called Supremes really, is Mary Wilson.

Even though Diana shall eternally have her spot in Popular music history for her great contributions to Motown, soul music, and women in music in general, Mary and Flo had voices too. Especially during the years after Diana's departure, in my opinion, the Supremes never sounded more beautifully; than when the songs were given to Jean, Mary, Scherrie, and Susaye.

Jimi LaLumia
03-11-2012, 01:39 PM
Diana Ross is the ultimate figure associated with MOTOWN,even more so than MICHAEL JACKSON, who would not have become who he was[[for better and worse)without the early influence/inspiration of Diana Ross, whom I believe Michael wanted to be[[just like many folks who post here....lol)
Ross transcends her Supremes days, and when she tries to 'reflect' on them, it always turns ugly, so...there ya go..

LadySingsBlues
03-11-2012, 03:56 PM
When people complain about Diana hogging the spotlight, what do you mean? What is expected if the Supremes ever re-unite? Should Mary and Cindy receive shared solo spots on the Supremes hits now? I just don't understand how the star is NOT going to be the star.

captainjames
03-11-2012, 06:35 PM
Don't know maybe because there are some peeps who want to see a Diana Ross and Supremes reunion with Mary or Cindy singing lead on Baby Love, You Keep Me Hanging On, Come See About Me instead of Diana.

robbert
03-11-2012, 06:52 PM
You CAN'T be serious!

LadySingsBlues
03-11-2012, 07:08 PM
http://shechive.files.wordpress.com/2011/03/laugh.gif?w=220

marv2
03-11-2012, 07:15 PM
Yall [[lol)
need to let this go !!!
a word from Mary...................."Leave Diana and Me alone "
and a word from the "WISE"..........."It Is Not Gonna Happen"
the end

The resounding response now is .......WHO CARES?

marv2
03-11-2012, 07:18 PM
I admire Mary Wilson or "Mare", she's had an incredible life as a Supreme singing with/behind Diana Ross & Jean Terrell and her struggles to start a solo career were poignant as well. I've always felt she should have left Motown in the 70's to have any type of a real solo career. No way was Berry Gordy going to have her become a star like Stevie,Smokey,Marvin,Michael,Rick or let alone Diana! Gladys Knight,Martha Reeves,Jean Terrell and Mary Wells had the smarts or courage to try,fail or succeed...for better or worse. Also I felt her book was lacking in the whole "truth" When Mary Wilson had major financial problems monthly bills,morgage and taxes Diana Ross gave her the money to get her life together after her divorce from Pedro Ferrar. Why? Maybe ghosts of Florence Ballard or Paul Williams,to avoid bad publicity or perhaps a shock to all of us to help out another girl also from the Brewster projects who sang on all those unforgettable hit records like..."baby baby where did our love go?"

I'm sorry that omission always bothered me. If you're gonna tell the truth,tell the whole truth as my late father always told me or keep your d*** mouth shut. Sorry my dad was old school. I didn't have time-outs like my two sons have. Perhaps to paraphrase Jack Nicholson "We can't handle the truth". I love Motown but some of the "truths" I'm learning like Flo & Mary didn't sing on this song and that song shocked me but Motown was a business. Business is always about money even non-profits. It's the music that counts but all these behind the music facts take away from the music sometimes. I'm through. Time to play Wii with my boys. Peace out.

One more time because you are probably one of the very few that don't know. Diana Ross did not GIVE Mary Wilson any money. She loaned Mary $ 30,000 in 1981. Mary repaid the loan WITH INTEREST within a year. Now, go on and add to the story of the benevolent Miss Ross.

marv2
03-11-2012, 07:20 PM
I am sure that Diana, Mary and Cindy know by now that "we" and I mean the royal "we" have made this a bitter piece of history and unfortunately some of us think we are SUPREMES or think we were there. I can even imagine the rumors about another book, movie and interviews. No No No No Let it go !!!

Didn't you read the above responses? WE are not interested anymore. I personally do not care to see Diana Ross no matter who she is with. I do not buy her music either. Soooooo..........

marv2
03-11-2012, 07:22 PM
How about a post for Reunions we do not want to see.

1. Diana Ross and The Supremes

We don't need a post about that, a Diana Ross and the Supremes Reunion. We proved we did not want to see that and it was flat out cancelled back in 2000. LOL!!!!

marv2
03-11-2012, 07:23 PM

She WAS the lead singer like 45 years ago. She cannot sing like that now, so it doesn't matter anyway.

Jimi LaLumia
03-11-2012, 07:23 PM
bottom line; Wilson would have lost her house, Miss Ross saw to it that she didn't;
Wilson repaid the favor with a book full of bitter,"I could have been a contender!" sour grapes memories;
and when the book was a national Top Ten Best Seller, Wilson STILL couldn't get a record deal...lol..

marv2
03-11-2012, 07:26 PM

Go back to jail! LOL!

captainjames
03-11-2012, 09:46 PM
You CAN'T be serious!

NO Robbert I was kidding
Heaven Forbid that should happen !!!

captainjames
03-11-2012, 09:48 PM
OMG I love it

captainjames
03-11-2012, 09:50 PM
What I find so odd is how so many people who bad mouth Diana or who write books that tries to discredit her want to reunite with her or start a reunion. Go Figure !!!

luke
03-11-2012, 11:13 PM
They were all the stars and Diana was the lead singer and as Mary has said a great job Diana did. lol blueskies but I think if they did do a show now, theyd have it carefully worked out beforehand. Diana sent her love to Mary at BET and Mary recently the same on Diana's grammy achievement. You never know! It's never too late for healing...Reach out and touch...

marv2
03-11-2012, 11:22 PM
bottom line; Wilson would have lost her house, Miss Ross saw to it that she didn't;
Wilson repaid the favor with a book full of bitter,"I could have been a contender!" sour grapes memories;
and when the book was a national Top Ten Best Seller, Wilson STILL couldn't get a record deal...lol..

Yada, yada, yada, spin, spin, spin! It was a loan. You forget Diane had just signed that $20 Million deal with RCA. Heck, I would have hit her up for a loan my damned self and you know how I feel about "Miss Ross" LOL! Anyway, Mary, Florence, Cindy and Berry all had something to do with Ross' success........

jobeterob
03-12-2012, 01:34 AM
Because they were so great a group, this will never die. But it's gotta be a long shot.

Would Mary really like to do a show with Diana where she was the background singer again doing a song?

As I've said many times, Diana's family will stand in the way if she ever was so inclined; but all she's said in 12 years is "I've tried that"................

But as someone above said, Diana is THE Motown Connection, she's the survivor [[for some reason even more than Stevie; why is no one interested in Stevie anymore? or Smokey?). So we can hope even for a one off............maybe in Central Park!

Ngroove
03-12-2012, 01:58 AM
Because they were so great a group, this will never die. But it's gotta be a long shot.

Would Mary really like to do a show with Diana where she was the background singer again doing a song?

As I've said many times, Diana's family will stand in the way if she ever was so inclined; but all she's said in 12 years is "I've tried that"................

But as someone above said, Diana is THE Motown Connection, she's the survivor [[for some reason even more than Stevie; why is no one interested in Stevie anymore? or Smokey?). So we can hope even for a one off............maybe in Central Park!

When was Diana's last hit / great album? Well, new release-wise, I've atleast loved "Blue", truly treats to the ears, but they still were mostly unearthed from the vault early 70s "Lady Sings the Blues" time recordings...

Stevie Wonder...He's still capable of the occassional new album, even award-winning, top ten-selling, pretty acclaimed ones...remember a Time 2 Love, the one with “From the Bottom of My Heart”, and the Prince-backed “So What’s the Fuss”, was only several years ago, not that long ago…

Ngroove
03-12-2012, 02:00 AM
Bump...accidental double…

supremester
03-12-2012, 02:08 AM
Mary's book is trash she wrote it out of desperate need for cash and attention during her drug abuse years. Gil Askey walked out on his interview with Mary when he realized what she was trying to get him to say. Diana had no problem sharing the spotlight - Berry didn't want Mary singing lead - ever. Not in the 70's either. After Mary's antics at Motown 25 which got her banned from future celebrations, her lies about RTL and her shoddy treatment of Cindy at Motown 50, I doubt very much if Miss Ross or Miss Birdsong want to work with her. Mary has a lot of apologizing to do.

supremester
03-12-2012, 02:20 AM
What makes you think they don't care about their fans. i think both Mary and Diana care, but it goes way deeper than that. Mary has been a troublemaker for years - EVERY living Supreme since 1962 has had major issues with her. There's a reason for that. You can see Mary or Diana perform all over the world - who needs them together? They are in their late 60's, how selfish of you to ask them to go to the trouble, time and expense to put a show together and learn all the songs and routines. Cindy is in her 70's and moving slowly. Get over yourself and think about someone else for a change. It's too much work for too little payoff.

Ngroove
03-12-2012, 02:21 AM
Mary's book is trash she wrote it out of desperate need for cash and attention during her drug abuse years. GilAskey walked out on his interview with Mary when he realized what she wastrying to get him to say. Diana had no problem sharing the spotlight - Berry didn't want Mary singing lead - ever. Not in the 70's either. After Mary'santics at Motown 25 which got her banned from future celebrations, her liesabout RTL and her shoddy treatment of Cindy at Motown 50, I doubt very much ifMiss Ross or Miss Birdsong want to work with her. Mary has a lot of apologizingto do.

Florence Ballard's voice-recorded interview backed up Diana's treatment of her, as watched by probably all Supremes / Motown fans on Flo's UNSUNG episode, and Mary Wilson - I've heard, from many, many, many published resources, that Diana PUSHED her from her mike, on that Motown 25 special, prompting the rest to prematurely end it in the middle of "Someday, We'll Be Together", before it got worse.

LadySingsBlues
03-12-2012, 02:22 AM

I wouldn't say that anyone is not interested in Stevie or Smokey anymore. Especially Stevie. Out of the 3, he certainly keeps himself the most visible in the media by far. Sometimes it seems like there's not an event that he's not scheduled to sing at whether it's for President Obama or somebody's tribute. Personally I wish Diana was more out there but I digress.

supremester
03-12-2012, 02:24 AM
If your enjoyment of More Hits or The Black Album depends on a posed picture, you shouldn't buy them. See a shrink! Both sets, if you are a fan of the music, are loving expanded tributes. The Black Album is getting raves. It's sensational - and their best restoration project yet. I'm glad you are digging The Apollas CD - keep spinning it!

LadySingsBlues
03-12-2012, 02:29 AM
For a Supremes reunion to take place, the ladies would need to sit down & have a heart-to-heart conversation FIRST. There's probably a lot of things they need to discuss & get off their chest in order to move forward. Possibly dating back to issues from the 60s to Mary's book to why the RTL tour couldn't work the way the fans wanted it. That needs to happen above anything. Not just for the sake of a potential reunion concert but just for themselves while they are still here. Just bury the hatchet. They've both had warm acknowledgements of each other in recent years...so why not just get together & TALK.

jobeterob
03-12-2012, 02:37 AM
I think the hatchet was buried years ago; this is why Mary congratulated Diana online recently on the Grammy and why she published her online letter asking the fans to leave her and Diana out of the petty talk.

But the fans cant let go ~ they'd love a Beach Boys style reunion. And yes, it probably is a NO, which is why it's wanted even more.

Stevie and Smokey do show up everywhere, at every funeral and they comment all the time. And yes, Diana, Stevie and Smokey do put out the odd new release ~ but they'll always be remembered for their heydays. And yes, Stevie today might sell the best of the three ~ but none of them are Taylor Swift, Lil Wayne or Adele.

But why is it that there is STILL so much attention paid to Diana? Why are there thousands of pictures of the Grammy? Why is she the one they all still talk about?

supremester
03-12-2012, 02:54 AM
There's a lot more omissions and falsehoods than that. The book is full of them. It begins with Motown 25 but leaves out the fact that DR&TS were to be wearing black, white and or silver. Mary, just before her entrance and a nose full of cocaine, changed into a red sequined, showy [[but ill fitting) stage gown pissing off both her group mates and the powers that be at Motown Productions. Then she barged in on Diana's lead and began singing lead - later claiming she thought Diana had lost her place.

marv2
03-12-2012, 08:37 AM
When was Diana's last hit / great album? Well, new release-wise, I've atleast loved "Blue", truly treats to the ears, but they still were mostly unearthed from the vault early 70s "Lady Sings the Blues" time recordings...

Stevie Wonder...He's still capable of the occassional new album, even award-winning, top ten-selling, pretty acclaimed ones...remember a Time 2 Love, the one with “From the Bottom of My Heart”, and the Prince-backed “So What’s the Fuss”, was only several years ago, not that long ago…

Her last hit was something like 30 years ago. It's not even played on oldies stations. How that equates to being the lone Motown survivor is beyond me.

carole cucumber
03-12-2012, 09:11 AM
There's a lot more omissions and falsehoods than that. The book is full of them. It begins with Motown 25 but leaves out the fact that DR&TS were to be wearing black, white and or silver. Mary, just before her entrance and a nose full of cocaine, changed into a red sequined, showy [[but ill fitting) stage gown pissing off both her group mates and the powers that be at Motown Productions. Then she barged in on Diana's lead and began singing lead - later claiming she thought Diana had lost her place.

I'll bite...... How do you know Mary's nose was full of cocaine? Were you in the dressing room/ backstage and watched her snort? Or are you going on heresay and/or repeating a possible falsehood that someone has already spread?

LadySingsBlues
03-12-2012, 10:54 AM
Her last hit was something like 30 years ago. It's not even played on oldies stations. How that equates to being the lone Motown survivor is beyond me.

When was Mary's last hit?

http://i793.photobucket.com/albums/yy219/anthonymoton/sipstea.gif

marv2
03-12-2012, 11:21 AM

Mary who?.........

jobeterob
03-12-2012, 11:32 AM
Aha, new people and we're gonna have some real dirt this time.

So, I was going to ask what the drug was? But I see it's cocaine.

Alleged years of use please? 1983 and when else?

carlo
03-12-2012, 11:48 AM
Give it a rest, Rob. You and your "real dirt". Please.

A lot of celebrities did do drugs in the 80's. It wouldn't surprise me if Diana has used cocaine at one time or another. That's just the way it was. It's part of the Hollywood culture. Gotta keep it real...

Ngroove
03-12-2012, 12:11 PM

According to Complete Motown Number Ones, her last number one was "Take Me Higher", #1 Dance in 1995.

marv2
03-12-2012, 12:23 PM
Give it a rest, Rob. You and your "real dirt". Please.

A lot of celebrities did do drugs in the 80's. It wouldn't surprise me if Diana has used cocaine at one time or another. That's just the way it was. It's part of the Hollywood culture. Gotta keep it real...

She did, but it does not get talked about. Rob thrives on acrimony. He loves arguments and then likes to point fingers at others.

marv2
03-12-2012, 12:30 PM
I'll bite...... How do you know Mary's nose was full of cocaine? Were you in the dressing room/ backstage and watched her snort? Or are you going on heresay and/or repeating a possible falsehood that someone has already spread?

It is a falsehood that no one is spreading but this guy here. You see some of these guys believe that in order to like and be loyal to Diana Ross, they must dislike and smear Mary Wilson. They never own up to why they do it or Mary has done to make them act this way.

supremester
03-12-2012, 01:08 PM
Because more than one person at the event said so. Mary herself, in her book, claimed to "have a taste for cocaine." That book is so one-sided, common sense tells you that was some appetite. Then Tony Turner's book confirmed it with stories about her snortin' ways and signing Supremes hits to drug dealers for bigger hits of white powder. Mary never sued, so, according to Marv [[everything written is true if not sued for libel) it must all be true.

But, take that away. Let's say Mary was sober as a newborn baby. Her behavior was reprehensible and inexcusable. The Jezabel wearing red when everyone else was monochromatic. Then taking the lead of the song and dancing like a fool to a bluesy, sultry song.....if she wasn't high then that girl has got worse problems than expected singing a song like that. She slapped Diana & Cindy in the face that night and all Supremes fans with em: laying the groundwork for how things are today: no reunion, short selling her house and moving around the world looking for work. And those, Marvi Darling, sad and touching, are the facts.

supremester
03-12-2012, 01:33 PM
That's a hoot coming from someone who has thousands of Ross hating posts all over the internet - doing exactly what you just described. So much so that Mary herself has had to personally ask you to stop. Y'all got some nerve talking about me that way when you are really describing you. Shall I post a few of your most recent "contributions" on Ross Youtube clips here for all and sundry to see for themselves? Maybe a few with foul language, 4 letter words and falsehoods of your own???

It is a falsehood that no one is spreading but this guy here. You see some of these guys believe that in order to like and be loyal to Diana Ross, they must dislike and smear Mary Wilson. They never own up to why they do it or Mary has done to make them act this way.

carole cucumber
03-12-2012, 01:46 PM
But, take that away. Let's say Mary was sober as a newborn baby. Her behavior was reprehensible and inexcusable. The Jezabel wearing red when everyone else was monochromatic. Then taking the lead of the song and dancing like a fool to a bluesy, sultry song.....if she wasn't high then that girl has got worse problems than expected singing a song like that. She slapped Diana & Cindy in the face that night and all Supremes fans with em: laying the groundwork for how things are today: no reunion, short selling her house and moving around the world looking for work. And those, Marvi Darling, sad and touching, are the facts.

Now I'm confused. You're saying that Mary slapped Diana and Cindy in the face . I've never seen that brought up before.
I can see why Mr. Gordy would want that footage to be locked away. Diana involved in an alleged altercation with Mary and now your claim of Mary in an alleged altercation with both Diana and Cindy.

stephanie
03-12-2012, 02:15 PM
PBS would be better off doing a Supremes documentary!

marybrewster
03-12-2012, 02:21 PM
Didn't Martha Reeves wear something gold to Motown 25? And I think one of the Jacksons wore a green jacket? And I could be mistaken, but I think El Debarge wore a red shirt? Let's move on to "High Energy": I think their dresses were purple, green and blue.

So much for black, white and silver.

Ngroove
03-12-2012, 02:26 PM

Why not possibly attempt to re-unite Mary Wilson with the Former Ladies of the Supremes [[ Scherrie Payne and Lynda Laurence) to call them Supremes again, if only for a tour, or even one concert?

supremester
03-12-2012, 02:35 PM
It was a metaphor: her behavior was a slap in the face to Diana, Cindy and the fans. You are a fan, you were not PHYSICALLY slapped in the face [[I don't think.)

Now I'm confused. You're saying that Mary slapped Diana and Cindy in the face . I've never seen that brought up before.
I can see why Mr. Gordy would want that footage to be locked away. Diana involved in an alleged altercation with Mary and now your claim of Mary in an alleged altercation with both Diana and Cindy.

supremester
03-12-2012, 02:39 PM
Last I heard, Martha and El Debarge weren't members of DR&TS, nor the most high profile act of the evening. Ask Cindy about that night, she has gone public about it. If Diana had worn red, it would have been another chapter in Dreamgirl.

Didn't Martha Reeves wear something gold to Motown 25? And I think one of the Jacksons wore a green jacket? And I could be mistaken, but I think El Debarge wore a red shirt? Let's move on to "High Energy": I think their dresses were purple, green and blue.

marv2
03-12-2012, 02:50 PM

Carol, does that sound mental or what? If he continues, he will try to make Mary Wilson out to be the real Osama Bin Laden in disguise. Geez!

marv2
03-12-2012, 02:52 PM

A detailed documentary with interview clips sounds like a very nice idea.

marv2
03-12-2012, 02:53 PM

Somehow, Marvin Gaye ended up in a blood red suit.

marv2
03-12-2012, 02:55 PM
It was a metaphor: her behavior was a slap in the face to Diana, Cindy and the fans. You are a fan, you were not PHYSICALLY slapped in the face [[I don't think.)

Wasn't a slap in my or anyone that was watching the program that night with me. We loved Mary! I was knocked out at how great she looked that night. As writer Nelson George put it, Mary Wilson looked like the greatest star on Earth that night! Spectacular!

supremester
03-12-2012, 02:56 PM
That is a great idea! Mary is all about the fans, unselfish and into the whole group with everyone being equals. We want a MSL Reunion.... and we want it soon! I'm sure Scherrie & Lynda would be amenable, and I know I'd buy a ticket to that. What a brilliant idea.

Why not possibly attempt to re-unite Mary Wilson with the Former Ladies of the Supremes [[ Scherrie Payne and Lynda Laurence) to call them Supremes again, if only for a tour, or even one concert?

supremester
03-12-2012, 03:07 PM
Mary did look great. ask the producers of Motown 25 how they felt she looked. ask Cindy or Diana. It got her banned from Motown Productions for decades and didn't help her in the industry who knew what really went on that night and acted on it by avoiding her contractually. She looked great and spun it well on paper, but that money is gone and those she screwed still remember..................just sayin'. Anyway, a reunion with Scherrie and Lynda or even Scherrie & Cindy would feed the fans starved for a reunion. Then, a Jean, Lynda Cindy reunion could follow.

Wasn't a slap in my or anyone that was watching the program that night with me. We loved Mary! I was knocked out at how great she looked that night. As writer Nelson George put it, Mary Wilson looked like the greatest star on Earth that night! Spectacular!

supremester
03-12-2012, 03:09 PM
Somehow, I don't recall Marvin being a member of Diana Ross & The Supremes. Maybe he joined during the revolving door period! hehehehehe

Somehow, Marvin Gaye ended up in a blood red suit.

marv2
03-12-2012, 03:15 PM
That's a hoot coming from someone who has thousands of Ross hating posts all over the internet - doing exactly what you just described. So much so that Mary herself has had to personally ask you to stop. Y'all got some nerve talking about me that way when you are really describing you. Shall I post a few of your most recent "contributions" on Ross Youtube clips here for all and sundry to see for themselves? Maybe a few with foul language, 4 letter words and falsehoods of your own???

You can print whatever you want you'll just have to explain to Ralph why you did that. Oh, so you know what Mary and I have personally talked about now? Do you have my phone bugged or something?

marv2
03-12-2012, 03:19 PM
Somehow, I don't recall Marvin being a member of Diana Ross & The Supremes. Maybe he joined during the revolving door period! hehehehehe

I don't recall the show being called "The Diana Ross & the Supremes" TV Show either so why you are making such a big deal out of their one minuted 20 second appearance together is strange. What isn't strange is that Diana Ross hurt her reputation and lost some fans because of her behavior that night. I was completely done with her after "Motown 25". So moving right along with other important topics.....!

supremester
03-12-2012, 04:39 PM
That's a falsehood that no one is spreading but you. Were you there with Diana when she was doing it? Did you see it? What is your point of reference to suggest such a thing with such certainty? Yet you say it's a falsehood about Mary when she admits it, another book documents it and she's out of control on national television to the point of being banned from further Motown Productions.

She did, but it does not get talked about. Rob thrives on acromony. He loves arguments and then likes to point fingers at others.

supremester
03-12-2012, 05:00 PM
I can, in 24 hours, get an email from Mary about you to print here if you wish. From someone you kicked out of MWOS for inviting Mary to the group and calling you out on your claims to know and be friends with Mary. She didn't know who you were, had NEVER been to MWOS, and said something like "I talk to a lot of fans but I don't know him " and then asked for a picture of "Marv". lol

You can print whatever you want you'll just have to explain to Ralph why you did that. Oh, so you know what Mary and I have personally talked about now? Do you have my phone bugged or something?

supremester
03-12-2012, 05:19 PM
In reality, 30 years ago Miss Ross was enjoying her second consecutive top 10 pop & R&B hit Mirror mirror from her platinum RCA debut LP Why Do Fools Fall In Love. She would continue to have top 10 Pop and/or R&B singles and gold/platinum albums for years to come both in the US and globally. . In fact, her latest LP I Love You was the highest debut pop LP on the Billboard 200. Nice downspin on her career, though... you do get an E for Effort. Sorry the facts show you up. Well, not to sorry hehehehehe!

LadySingsBlues
03-12-2012, 06:57 PM
In reality, 30 years ago Miss Ross was enjoying her second consecutive top 10 pop & R&B hit Mirror mirror from her platinum RCA debut LP Why Do Fools Fall In Love. She would continue to have top 10 Pop and/or R&B singles and gold/platinum albums for years to come both in the US and globally. . In fact, her latest LP I Love You was the highest debut pop LP on the Billboard 200. Nice downspin on her career, though... you do get an E for Effort. Sorry the facts show you up. Well, not to sorry hehehehehe!

Now what are the stats for Mary Wilson's solo career 30 years ago? I just know she had to be reigning supreme above Diane, surely.

http://cdn.skincaretalk.com/c/cd/cdb68174_rhoa-nene-sideye.gif

marv2
03-12-2012, 07:51 PM
Mary did look great. ask the producers of Motown 25 how they felt she looked. ask Cindy or Diana. It got her banned from Motown Productions for decades and didn't help her in the industry who knew what really went on that night and acted on it by avoiding her contractually. She looked great and spun it well on paper, but that money is gone and those she screwed still remember..................just sayin'. Anyway, a reunion with Scherrie and Lynda or even Scherrie & Cindy would feed the fans starved for a reunion. Then, a Jean, Lynda Cindy reunion could follow.

Mary was hardly banned from anything. I don't think they could do an Motown Anniversary show without her participation really if they are going to feature the Supremes in any way. She's been on every Motown Production Anniversary Show I've seen except "Motown at 30" be even then she was mentioned very promeniently by Whoopi Goldberg, the host. Mary was on "Motown Returns to the Apollo", "Motown 40", "Motown 45" and on the "Motown 50th Anniversary Tour". So I don't really understand what you are talking about? You starting to make me laugh very hard right now LOL! oh LOL!

I really wished I knew what you were talking about....industry avoiding her contractually? Are you talking about television? She's been on television tons over the years. Mary gets plenty of work and is usually very busy. We should all be that busy.

smark21
03-12-2012, 08:28 PM
Is it true there was only rehearsal held for the Motown 25 Supremes reunion performance? If so, why was there only one? The reunion was supposed to be one of the cornerstones of the show? Surely, more rehearsal should have been set aside. Diana, Mary and Cindy hadn't performed together in 13 years. One would think that a few rehearsals would be required to ensure they would give as special and polished a performance as they did in the late 60's. Was there only one rehearsal because the reunion wasn't sealed until the last minute? Or were there difficulties coordinating schedules? Perhaps if there had been more time for them to get together to rehearse then what went down later that night would never have happened as they could have used rehearsal to air out or act out antagonisms and then get to work. Anyway both Diana and Mary share blame for what happened that night.

captainjames
03-12-2012, 09:06 PM
uHHH NO
IT IS NEVER GOING TO HAPPEN AGAIN
Whether Diana loaned her the money or gave her the money is beside the point.
It was a better deal than the bank.
Just keep in mind Mary is not the ony Supreme that Diana has helped but, be as it may it is one of the things Ms. Ross never talks about.

luke
03-12-2012, 09:09 PM
Not sure why Mary shares the blame other than not wearing black or white.

captainjames
03-12-2012, 09:18 PM
Smark I will agree it was a fault that both contributed to.

Is it true there was only rehearsal held for the Motown 25 Supremes reunion performance? If so, why was there only one? The reunion was supposed to be one of the cornerstones of the show? Surely, more rehearsal should have been set aside. Diana, Mary and Cindy hadn't performed together in 13 years. One would think that a few rehearsals would be required to ensure they would give as special and polished a performance as they did in the late 60's. Was there only one rehearsal because the reunion wasn't sealed until the last minute? Or were there difficulties coordinating schedules? Perhaps if there had been more time for them to get together to rehearse then what went down later that night would never have happened as they could have used rehearsal to air out or act out antagonisms and then get to work. Anyway both Diana and Mary share blame for what happened that night.

marv2
03-12-2012, 09:23 PM
Not sure why Mary shares the blame other than not wearing black or white.

Mary Wilson was not to blame! Diana Ross messed up that night which why they sent Smokey Robinson out on stage early to protect her from getting decked! I can promise you he was not sent out to protect Mary Wilson LOL! Later during the finale you notice that Diana Ross ran to safety, to the back to the stage and hopped up on the bandstand. While Mary hoists Berry Gordys arm up in victory at the end of the finale. That became the "money shot" in all the papers and morning television news programs the next day!

jillfoster
03-12-2012, 09:41 PM
I can, in 24 hours, get an email from Mary about you to print here if you wish. From someone you kicked out of MWOS for inviting Mary to the group and calling you out on your claims to know and be friends with Mary. She didn't know who you were, had NEVER been to MWOS, and said something like "I talk to a lot of fans but I don't know him " and then asked for a picture of "Marv". lol

Would you just STFU and get over yourself.... Mary is playing dumb because she don't want to be put in the middle of the fan's squabbles with each other. Ever think of that?

luke
03-12-2012, 09:59 PM
Oh Marv you know I know--just trying to give one benefit of the doubt. Ive always wondered as Diana cut the rehersal short so they had all of one minute, so no one knew what to do really, why shouldnt have Maryand Cindy have moved up with her? They often stood right next to her-TCB, Come See About Me etc If she had continued singing and then the other three songs she may have had the opportunity to stand in front since it seemed so impt to her.

Jimi LaLumia
03-12-2012, 10:13 PM
I am a huge Ross fan and defender...
but she was so terribly wrong to not to show up to rehearse with the girls and she was wrong to drop the hits medley and minimize The Supremes legacy;
I see both sides and I am fair and balanced enough to say that, in this case, Ross got what was coming to her..
she had already WON, it wasn't 1969 anymore, she needed to stop fighting ghosts..and she just couldn't bring herself to do it..

jobeterob
03-12-2012, 10:19 PM
You real old time fans that have been around forever, that got jealous because other fans got the freebies from Motown etc., you do know each other. LOL.

Supremester does have some connections and does know some of the stories. And he's telling another side of them.

As the Houston comes up with Patricia and Gary and Bobbi, the Supremes fans hit the ditch again with bad bad stories about bad bad boys.

Get the letter from Mary in 24, 48, 72 hours. I wanna see it. It just might be produceable. These stories have abounded.

Gonna have to read back and see what got said about the drug addiction.

jobeterob
03-12-2012, 10:23 PM
OK..........I've read enough.

The true anti Marv has arrived.

We've shortly rehashed the bad stuff from the books.

Go to it guys; it's been a while.

Welcome Greg.

atcsm
03-12-2012, 10:26 PM
LadySings
It is a falsehood that no one is spreading but this guy here. You see some of these guys believe that in order to like and be loyal to Mary Wilson, they must dislike and smear Diana Ross. They never own up to why they do it or Diana has done to make them act this way.

ejluther
03-12-2012, 11:12 PM
For what it's worth, I seem to remember Nelson George writing in his book about Motown [["Where Did Our Love Go?") that he was at Motown 25 and did see Diana turn and put a hand on Mary's shoulder but that it wasn't an aggressive push as it's been made out to be. Does that ring a bell with anyone else? If not, perhaps it was in another book? And I can't stress enough I'm just sharing information I've read and not trying to stir any more trouble up but since this topic is out there I thought I'd mention it. I wasn't there so I can only read what others say about it. As a fan I'd think that MOTOWN 25 would have been an emotional and stressful night for all involved and that includes Diana - she'd only recently parted ways with the company and the man who'd guided her career and much of her life for twenty years so I have no doubt she was on edge and feeling even more emotional than usual. And that's not an excuse, just an observation...

atcsm
03-12-2012, 11:21 PM
So are you saying you don't stand by your comments on Youtube as DetroitLives313? I would think you'd be proud to spread those comments everywhere!

carlo
03-12-2012, 11:45 PM
I am personally friends with a fan who attended the Motown 25 taping that night. She has photos with various Motown stars from the after-party, so I know she's telling the truth. I asked her what she saw between Diana and Mary and she said she remembers Diana pushing down Mary's microphone during one moment, but she said she saw no dramatic shove or push that people have described. However, something DID happen...just maybe not to the degree that everyone is thinking. With that said, there was still no reason for Diana to put her hands on Mary, regardless of whether Diana was provoked.

These days, I try to avoid participating in these types of discussions...but I felt I should provide an account from someone who was there in the audience.

atcsm
03-12-2012, 11:56 PM
Carl - you are a sweetheart, but............
friend of a friend who was there...........

marv2
03-13-2012, 12:31 AM
Michael/Cleoharvey [[cleoharvey)
3-Pundit
Username: cleoharvey

Post Number: 34
Posted From: 4.172.87.194
Posted on Sunday, July 04, 2004 - 11:44 am:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I was at the Motown 25 [[I was doing a show in LA at the time) and saw the famous shoving incident. Although Suzanne DePasse explains the incident as a "misunderstanding" between Mary Wilson and Diana Ross about sequence, it did not look that way from the audience. I can still remember the look on Mary Wilson's face when the incident happened. There were other odd happenings involving Diana at Motown 25 that nobody seems to remember or talk about. She wandered on stage during Adam Ant's rendition of Where Did Our Love Go which was clearly not scheduled. Adam Ant was surprised and was upstaged. She also came into the audience and asked Miss T [[Ashford & Simpson's assistant) whether she had a comb!! I was sitting nearby and this seemed very odd. She also seemed to be having a problem remembering lyrics during her and The Supremes segments. Not to bash Diana [[Lord knows that has been done enough) but there was a lot more going on during that Motown 25 than the shove. With recent news of the past few years regarding Diana's "addiction" problems, we may have the answer to the behavior.

marv2
03-13-2012, 12:33 AM
Michael/Cleoharvey [[cleoharvey)
3-Pundit
Username: cleoharvey

Post Number: 35
Posted From: 4.172.87.145
Posted on Monday, July 05, 2004 - 11:12 pm:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Suzanne DePasse has said there was a certain order that the show was supposed to follow and that Mary misunderstood what that order was supposed to be and attempted to introduce Berry Gordy from the audience. Diana was only putting her hand on Mary to stop her from going out of of the planned order. To those of us in the audience it did not seem that way at all [[and if you watch the show this explanation seems odd). It appeared as though Diana was faltering on the lyrics and Mary was attempting to help her and lead the song [["Someday" as I remember). That was when the shove happened and there were gasps all over the auditorium. Diana may have been bothered because Mary Wilson and Cindy Birdsong played a trick at Motown 25 that they used to play when they were in Diana Ross & The Supremes. Towards the end, Diana did not always rehearse with Mary & Cindy. When they would do a sound check they would sing very quietly, which caused the sound people [[of whatever venue they were playing) to think that Mary & Cindy had no vocal power and then the sound men woud turn their level up. So, when Diana, Mary, and Cindy would finally get together they would come booming out of the mix which made Diana crazy [[she had always complained or threw tantrums about how loud Mary, Cindy, or Florence were). At Motown 25 Mary was as loud as Diana and when she attempted to "help" she was shoved. This is the way it appeared to most of the people sitting there... the ultimate insult to the "sexy" one.

Afterwards, Dionne Warwick was overheard saying to Mary Wilson, "You should have knocked her ass in the pit!!" No matter what Diana was trying to do the appearance of it was very bad.

jillfoster
03-13-2012, 01:21 AM
I am personally friends with a fan who attended the Motown 25 taping that night. She has photos with various Motown stars from the after-party, so I know she's telling the truth. I asked her what she saw between Diana and Mary and she said she remembers Diana pushing down Mary's microphone during one moment, but she said she saw no dramatic shove or push that people have described. However, something DID happen...just maybe not to the degree that everyone is thinking. With that said, there was still no reason for Diana to put her hands on Mary, regardless of whether Diana was provoked.

These days, I try to avoid participating in these types of discussions...but I felt I should provide an account from someone who was there in the audience.

Carlo... my best friend was also there, and his account is the same. It wasn't the type of shove you'd see when someone is getting ready to fight, it was a FIRM pull down of the arm.

jobeterob
03-13-2012, 02:20 AM
That's about exactly what those of us that have been around for a long time and read the myriad of accounts have heard and believe.

jobeterob
03-13-2012, 02:26 AM
So EJLuther, Carlo, Jill and I agree..............quite a few in agreement. And where does that get us? LOL Nice to see a bit of agreement anyway.

I think one other item that bears pointing out is that for those that want to make more out of this, Mary Wilson had her book returned for more spice..........so, she may have accentuated some of these things a bit more than she really wanted to.

As her recent note about Diana said...........these things are seen differently when seen through the eyes of a Grandmother.

honest man
03-13-2012, 06:38 AM
Well im shocked really, i never knew Mary was a coke head,don't remember that bit in her book,what a suprise.can't believe her doing that stuff, Mary of all people,80s 90s whatever it is not good.wow.

BigAl
03-13-2012, 08:06 AM
Jeez...29 years after the 1983 event it's still being chewed on? I have never posted my take on this but I will do so now, and only one time.

The only people who saw the ridiculous incident were those in attendance. I was not there so this is all purely conjecture on my part.

From all accounts, Diane was quite ill with the flu or some such and was disoriented from it to a degree, in addition to having a history of taking unrehearsed star turns even when she was healthy. Mary admits she and Cindy had formulated a "contingency plan" to deviate from what had been rehearsed in case Diane herself deviated from what had been rehearsed. Diane apparently did deviate so Mary also deviated and then everything went all to hell. Two wrongs have never made a right after all.

To make matters worse, many in attendance had been waiting and, dare I say, hoping that some kind of discord would transpire and when it did they ate it up and then fed the leftovers to the media, after seasoning them up no doubt. Mary then took the ball and ran with it in Dreamgirl, reportedly at the direction of the publisher, who was looking for dirt and would not have sent the book to press without it. Had she in fact wanted to take the high road and at least balance the good girl/bad girl equation and address her own shortcomings rather than depicting herself solely as a victim, Mary would probably have lost the book deal at a time when she was having personal and financial difficulties.

There's definitely no heroine in this, but, sadly, there are two victims who no doubt both regret their behavior and would go back and do it all differently if they could. Neither wishes to revisit it [[who would?) and both have made that abundantly clear. It's us, the fans who claim to love these ladies, who have kept the pot boiling for nearly thirty years and no doubt will keep it boiling for the next thirty.

Even though it might finally quiet this tempest in a teapot, there will never be a Supremes reunion — at least not in a public performance. It's too bad the only people who seem to have moved on are the two actual participants.

marv2
03-13-2012, 08:39 AM
Well im shocked really, i never knew Mary was a coke head,don't remember that bit in her book,what a suprise.can't believe her doing that stuff, Mary of all people,80s 90s whatever it is not good.wow.

Then you are naive. Many millions of people in this country did, try or used coke in the 70's, 80's including some people you cherish but just don't know about. Including people that post right here on these forums. So if you are shocked now, then get ready to drop dead when you learn about others that indulged in recreational drugs. What is the old saying? "sex, drugs and Rock N' Roll"! So save your feigned indignation about Mary Wilson because it is so thin, I can see you through it.........

Roberta75
03-13-2012, 08:47 AM
Jeez...29 years after the 1983 event it's still being chewed on? I have never posted my take on this but I will do so now, and only one time.

The only people who saw the ridiculous incident were those in attendance. I was not there so this is all purely conjecture on my part.

From all accounts, Diane was quite ill with the flu or some such and was disoriented from it to a degree, in addition to having a history of taking unrehearsed star turns even when she was healthy. Mary admits she and Cindy had formulated a "contingency plan" to deviate from what had been rehearsed in case Diane herself deviated from what had been rehearsed. Diane apparently did deviate so Mary also deviated and then everything went all to hell. Two wrongs have never made a right after all.

To make matters worse, many in attendance had been waiting and, dare I say, hoping that some kind of discord would transpire and when it did they ate it up and then fed the leftovers to the media, after seasoning them up no doubt. Mary then took the ball and ran with it in Dreamgirl, reportedly at the direction of the publisher, who was looking for dirt and would not have sent the book to press without it. Had she in fact wanted to take the high road and at least balance the good girl/bad girl equation and address her own shortcomings rather than depicting herself solely as a victim, Mary would probably have lost the book deal at a time when she was having personal and financial difficulties.

There's definitely no heroine in this, but, sadly, there are two victims who no doubt both regret their behavior and would go back and do it all differently if they could. Neither wishes to revisit it [[who would?) and both have made that abundantly clear. It's us, the fans who claim to love these ladies, who have kept the pot boiling for nearly thirty years and no doubt will keep it boiling for the next thirty.

Even though it might finally quiet this tempest in a teapot, there will never be a Supremes reunion — at least not in a public performance. It's too bad the only people who seem to have moved on are the two actual participants.

Preach BigAl. Best post ever written about the Supremes Motown 25 reunion.

Fondly,

Roberta

honest man
03-13-2012, 10:28 AM
No pretence here mister,whats it to you if she was a crack head,just got a suprise that she was into it,with her being so thorough in her books ,you know THE TRUTH [Wink ],suprised the subject of chemical abuse was not elaborated more [addiction ] especially as such minor incidents[Shove,Shove] etc was,don't waste your time replying i owe you nothing i replied to something i did not know, i know now though cheers.

jobeterob
03-13-2012, 11:31 AM
Great post Al. Congratulations.

You have to be a real fool to play with cocaine. My police officer friends say that many people are immediately addicted as soon as they try it and the next hit will never match the one before.

None of this is new anyway. I'm sure Mary will be happy that all of this is being rehashed.

It's one thing when you are at the top of the heap and get crapped all over like Diana was, Whitney, Beyonce; but it's another matter when you were a group member that not everyone knows and you get dragged through the mud.

marv2
03-13-2012, 01:10 PM
No pretence here mister,whats it to you if she was a crack head,just got a suprise that she was into it,with her being so thorough in her books ,you know THE TRUTH [Wink ],suprised the subject of chemical abuse was not elaborated more [addiction ] especially as such minor incidents[Shove,Shove] etc was,don't waste your time replying i owe you nothing i replied to something i did not know, i know now though cheers.

What is to me dude? She is my friend and one our music icons. She was never a crack head. You should stop with the lying. What is it to me to see you trying to smear an innocent person? Everything!

What is your investment in these women any way? You would not know shit about any of it if Mary had not wrote about it and told it herself! What's there to elaborate? It evidently never became a big problem for her unlike with Diana Ross who has had several well publicized stints in rehab over the years! Oh don't even try to use that weak-kneed "don't waste your time replying" because I just did and you will never get away with smear tactics when I am around. You know nothing!

milven
03-13-2012, 01:24 PM
So here it is again. I started this thread about PBS asking for a re-union and it was civil until a Diana basher started. That led to Mary bashing and it is depressing for a Supreme fan to see all this mud slinging. It is obvious who the initial instigator is, and I have a question about the ignore button. If I click that member to ignore, how will it affect the rest of the thread? For instance, if the ignored member says that another member is stupid or knows nothing and I have him on ignore, will I see the response from the member that he offended? And will that response make sense to me if I do not know what he is responding to?

Kamasu_Jr
03-13-2012, 01:33 PM
So here it is again. I started this thread about PBS asking for a re-union and it was civil until a Diana basher started. That led to Mary bashing and it is depressing for a Supreme fan to see all this mud slinging. It is obvious who the initial instigator is, and I have a question about the ignore button. If I click that member to ignore, how will it affect the rest of the thread? For instance, if the ignored member says that another member is stupid or knows nothing and I have him on ignore, will I see the response from the member that he offended? And will that response make sense to me if I do not know what he is responding to?

If you use the ignore option, in most cases, you won't see the offender's comments. Now if it were possible not to allow them to see what you posted... that would be great. But ignore does alleviate a lot of headaches while I'm on the forum. I figured, people that I don't know from a potato chip should not get under my skin. They aren't giving me anything to enhance my life or contributing anything valuable to my life or saying anything that I need to hear. In other words, they are not that important to me so why let them in my space.

honest man
03-13-2012, 01:33 PM
Hello not smearing anyone you just said she wrote about it herself[i did not say it,right],who's talking about Diana Ross [you],not me,why bring her up,im not into comparing these women,my life has not got that sad yet and hopefully won't,Walk that LINE,One of my fave Mary songs,i wonder if it;s really about [oh forget it],im off to read Mary's book again maybe the page about her addiction is missing, thats why i did n't know all this, we learn new things everyday on SDF cheers Marv for the info.

marybrewster
03-13-2012, 02:24 PM
How wonderfully perfect your own lives must be to feel the need to talk about Diana Ross and Mary Wilson's past weaknesses in a public forum.

I guarantee, at this very moment, several of you have extended family members dealing with these same exact problems.

Let's talk about something that touches a little closer to home. Your niece that's involved in a violent relationship. Your cousin that's an alcoholic. Your sister that overdosed from drugs. I'm done hearing about Diana and Mary. Let's get to the good stuff.

Who is first? I'm all ears.

ejluther
03-13-2012, 03:29 PM
People often mention how Diana nixed the Supremes medley but what about her own songs? She only sings just a little bit of "Ain't No Mountain High Enough" and I've always been curious is there was ever a planned medley/selection of her solo hits? Regardless what happened that night and whatever the reasons were that we didn't get more music from both Diana and the Supremes, it was a real missed opportunity for both them and their fans that clearly still stings...

jobeterob
03-13-2012, 03:49 PM
Mary...........you need to find that nice letter you once posted on here. I was sure I'd saved a copy but I can't find it. It always bears repeating.

If Mary W. ever raises this site with you, you have to tell her that all the Supremes are loved.

honest man
03-13-2012, 04:15 PM
OH Please i come on SDF to escape from the crap in my life, yes i have a brother with mental-addiction, a couple of neices and nephews also,i nursed my poor mother till she passed a couple of years ago with a brain tumour, same thing now with my mother in law,BUT who cares,why come on here and bring people down with your own personal things that what friends and family is all about,i come on here to talk about music and such, not the gloom and doom please,right back to the SDF I went to find the Mary Wilson book to read, my wife reminded me it had gone into the charity bag years ago as i only read a few chapters,it was a comic ,yes so was Tales of a Sparrow should have gave the money i spent to the Homeless,just played the DIANA ROSS 76 EXPANDED ,wonderful especially the alt to love again. After you,love the set WELL DONE HARRY AND GANG FOR ANOTHER EXCELLENT RELEASE , CHEERS FOLKS.

honest man
03-13-2012, 04:18 PM
Oh forgot to say i have followed DRATS for 42 YEARS Along with all the motown acts,believe me i know a lot about Motown so get that right,thank you.

marybrewster
03-13-2012, 05:43 PM
Mary...........you need to find that nice letter you once posted on here. I was sure I'd saved a copy but I can't find it. It always bears repeating.

If Mary W. ever raises this site with you, you have to tell her that all the Supremes are loved.

Mary Wilson has been advised to stay away from this site. She knows it exsists and knows that all the Supremes are loved. I can't speak for Mary, but when she says "leave Diane and I out of this" I imagine she means this mess known as SDF. Never in my life have I seen such vile things written about these legendary ladies. Elsewhere and here. But it is what it is: I pick out the few pieces of good information hidden in all of the bullshit; I enjoy mj's podcasts and hearing from Andy, Harry, Geroge, etc. I don't live in 1970 or 1983 or 1986 or 2000, but I do throw my two cents in from time to time, just to add a little good karma or positivity. It all needs a little balance. Maybe it's my way of "spreadin' love". Oops, I'd better bash Mary since I gave a good Diana reference. Or not. I love cherish and appreicate both of them. The end. And speaking of; for rob:

When "Someday" was released, I was just a twinkle in Daddy Brewster's eye.

To answer your question: being the foolish 12 year old I once was, I thought ALL of the backgrounds were the Supremes [[I also spent a lot of time trying to figure out which Supreme was Diana on the cover of the "Right On" LP.....).

Knowing what we do know, and having become more familiar with Mary's speaking and singing voice over the years, I know Mary Wilson is nowhere on that record.

But to me; does it really matter? Not really. Look, the music of Motown has brought so much happiness to me over the years. It mas made me laugh, made me cry, made me jump for joy. I know it's important to some to say oh, that's Marlene, that's Flo, that's Mary, that's not Mary, but to me, it's truly what's in the grooves that count.

I don't know why Mary and Cindy weren't included on some recordings: maybe it was a matter of cost, maybe it was a matter of logistics, maybe it was a matter of timing; I don't have the answers. But the image they gave; three beautiful, sparkling, fabulous goddesses weighs more than some ooh's and ahh's.

Speaking as a fan, I love Mary Wilson. I love Diana Ross. I am not obsessed with either. When I read the disgusting comments left by others geared towards either women, it pains me. It pains me because we have soldiers overseas losing their lives. We have 21 people still missing on a cruise ship that went awry. We have jobless parents and homeless children all over the United States that tonight will go to bed cold and hungry. And the best some people on this forum and others can do is call Diana Ross a drunk or Mary Wilson a bitch. It makes no sense to me. I can't imagine what has happened in their lives to make them so angry, and ugly. It makes no sense that so much time and energy can be so ill-directed. Maybe the world is filled with hateful, spiteful people. I guess I am fortunate that I don't surround myself with these people. I am fortunate that I have my health, a job, my family, a warm bed, my friends, and a little bit of money in my savings account. And because I have all of these things to be thankful for, I, in turn, am able to pay it forward. I write a check when I can. I volunteer as much as I can. I am trying to leave a footprint I can be proud of, because I believe this it IT for me. One time. One chance. I don't want to be remembered as the bitter betty that found perverse pleasure on picking on some senior citizens.

So here it is: when you call Diana Ross a drunk, remember that person in your own life that has struggled with addiction and made mistakes. Your Mom. Your sister. Your aunt. When you call Diana Ross that, you are calling all of them out. And when you call Mary Wilson a bitch, remember that person in your own life that has struggled with being abused and losing a child. Your best friend. Your cousin. Your niece. When you call Mary Wilson out, you are calling all of them out.

I used to get so angry while driving when someone would cut me off, or tail me going 100 miles an hour. But then, clear as day, it dawned on me: what if that person is in a rush to hear their spouses last breath. Or what if that person is in a rush to console their daughter who just had a miscarriage. Until you've walked a mile in someone else's shoes, where is the right to call anyone anything other than human?

Be well. That is all. Did that answer your question?

jobeterob
03-13-2012, 06:00 PM
Mary, we love your post and appreciate your kindness toward everyone.

Now I know where your original post is as well.

One thing I love about you is that you are a Mary Wilson friend and you can simply state you know Mary is nowhere to be found on the single version of Stop in the Name of Love.........and you turn it into a non-issue. And of course, that is exactly what it is ~ a minor fact in the scheme of things.

I suppose it is best for former Supremes and their families to stay away from SD...........the free flight of it can be hurtful.

Sitting in an airport for 5 hours today; at least I get to to somewhere warm, with water and whales!

Thanks Mary.

mwmr
03-13-2012, 06:44 PM
YAWN YAWN Diane bashing.........Mary bashing.......... It's the same old song

smark21
03-13-2012, 08:25 PM

When I heard the woman on PBS Channel 13 NYC appeal for a Supremes reunion, I thought there will be a thread about it here at this forum and that the thread would not end up well.

Roberta75
03-13-2012, 08:41 PM
When I heard the woman on PBS Channel 13 NYC appeal for a Supremes reunion, I thought there will be a thread about it here at this forum and that the thread would not end up well.

It's really pitiful that a group of grown ups are still fighting over a TV Special that aired almost 30 years ago.

nomis
03-15-2012, 11:08 AM
One reason Diana was under rehearsed was apparently she only agreed to particapate in Motown 25 like a day or two before the show when she ran into someone old school Motown I forget who - in a resturant and they convinced her to appear..she didnt want to alienate RCA and Berry had put the phone down on her several times in the past year when she had called him a few times over her leaving him..when she arrived for rehearsal very soon before the taping began DePasse said there wasnt time to go through the medley and Diana said "Ok well skip it the girls will be happy with just doing 'Someday'.."

ejluther
03-15-2012, 11:45 AM
Thanks, nomis - I appreciate you sharing that...

arrr&bee
03-18-2012, 01:23 AM
Like the doorkeeper said in[the wizard of oz]..ain't nobody sharin the stage with the great miss ross,not no way not no how...now get lost!!!

jobeterob
03-18-2012, 02:00 AM
When you use ignore, it should blot out that persons posts permanently and irrefutably to you........even if someone else responds with some of that post in it.

We shud have a new thread called "most ignored".

Too bad the PBS lady had no idea what she asked and what it would do on lil ole SD.

More likelihood of Diana being an X Factor judge than there being a Supremes reunion.

What does this X Factor do that American Idol doesn't? They and a Supremes reunion are about as contemporary as the Supremes were in 1977.

arrr&bee
03-18-2012, 02:08 AM
Hey supremaholics,you stand a better chance of seeing diana with a seat on the[supreme court]than a supremes reunion!!

Penny
03-18-2012, 10:41 AM
There will be no reunion. Besides, as the one poster who is all over these threads and is Ralph's best friend, no one knows who the hell Diana Ross is anymore! So what does it matter?

I have the music and the memories.

Yours in AVON;
Penny:o

paladin
03-18-2012, 01:12 PM
Couldn't resist....nothing follows........:D

ivyfield
03-18-2012, 04:17 PM
I know you should never say never, but in this case, I REALLY think it's NEVER.

luke
03-18-2012, 08:51 PM
Diana should have been there on time-that excuses nothing. There was a subsequent reception before the show so there still could have been more of a rehearsal. Things will be ok in Motown world if there is no reunion but come on--dont give it so much power-if the Berlin wall can come down there could be a reunion or one show on PBS or something.

Jimi LaLumia
03-18-2012, 11:14 PM
the reality is that there was never a Beatles re union after the breakup in 1969..and there was much animosity between John and Paul in public, using Yoko Ono as the foil..
so The Supremes situation is not so unique

marv2
03-19-2012, 12:22 AM
Diana should have been there on time-that excuses nothing. There was a subsequent reception before the show so there still could have been more of a rehearsal. Things will be ok in Motown world if there is no reunion but come on--dont give it so much power-if the Berlin wall can come down there could be a reunion or one show on PBS or something.

Exactly. If Diane wants to go out on a wimper like she is doing now, it is totally fine. It will be said that it was she that prevented a Supremes Reunion and it was she who basically thumbed her nose at the fans Worldwide. She'll be remembered, but not in such a great light.

There was a time Berry Gordy wanted a proper reunion of his girls, but I don't know if he even cares anymore.

marv2
03-19-2012, 12:24 AM
the reality is that there was never a Beatles re union after the breakup in 1969..and there was much animosity between John and Paul in public, using Yoko Ono as the foil..
so The Supremes situation is not so unique

But there is not suppose to be any great animosity anymore between the Supremes. Regarding the Beatles, I can promise you that there is some deep regret there among the surviving Beatles that they never reunited. Tomorrow never came......

Jimi LaLumia
03-19-2012, 01:07 AM
that's life in the fast lane..
just as Supremes fans aledgedly keep a reunion from happening with on line tantrums,
Beatle fans with the 'blame Yoko" thing faced similar accusations..
the fact is, on line voices are a microscopic portion of the real world at large, and if these people really wanted to get back together,they would ..
the two biggest groups of the 1960's were ultimately victims of their own immense success,like many pop casualties that followed with even more dire finales..

marv2
03-19-2012, 02:51 AM
that's life in the fast lane..
just as Supremes fans aledgedly keep a reunion from happening with on line tantrums,
Beatle fans with the 'blame Yoko" thing faced similar accusations..
the fact is, on line voices are a microscopic portion of the real world at large, and if these people really wanted to get back together,they would ..
the two biggest groups of the 1960's were ultimately victims of their own immense success,like many pop casualties that followed with even more dire finales..

Exactly! I agree. If they wanted to, they would. Blaming online chat for preventing it doesn't even make sense because generally speaking, the internet did not come into wide spread use until about 15 years ago. The Supremes had 25 prior to that to get it together and have a reunion! I don't care if they do or don't.

luke
03-19-2012, 09:32 AM
Well said Marv. I just saw something about Beatles reunion plans I guess right before John died. I think on some level Diana knows what she has to do but it takes her forever to stop beng stubborn. She made some peace with Mary with her BET comment and Mary once again affimred her on Facebook.

LadySingsBlues
03-19-2012, 10:15 AM
If Mary is going to make things difficult like she did with the RTL tour then it's definitely not going to be pulled off. Who wants to deal with the drama?

honest man
03-19-2012, 03:24 PM
Yawn yawn zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzz

captainjames
03-19-2012, 03:32 PM
This has really gone crazy and wayyyyyyyyyy out in left field, Have you ever thought about all those times that Mary wrote about that she was trying to get backstage to see Diana ????????
Did you need another loan Mary from your friend ?? Come on do you guys actually think Mary was going to see Diana in concert because she loved her show so much ?? Think about it.

blueskies
03-19-2012, 04:49 PM
Good Lord..............these women will be in a nursing home and people will be discussing them hurling bed pans at one another.

captainjames
03-20-2012, 01:13 AM
Yeah, and I am so tired of Diana getting beat up over something that she is not at fault for. Perhaps if Mr. Gordy had of personally asked her to perform on his Motown 25 as he had Michael then perhaps things would have transpired differently.

All of this brought us to Motown 50 and that is why we got no Ross, No Smokey, No Stevie and no more reunions of any kind.

jobeterob
03-21-2012, 03:25 PM
On holiday here........seeing a few whales and doing some snorkeling and boogie boarding...........so, is it safe to assume we are where we always are:

1. No reunion
2. No comment by anyone that matters
3. More negative comments about somebody is a bitch and some was a cocaine addict
4. And the beat goes on........people movin out, people movin in

How are the trolls doing? Or should that be phrased as "how is the troll doing?" Still trolling?

Hoping to read more in the new week.

blueskies
03-21-2012, 06:30 PM
On holiday here........seeing a few whales and doing some snorkeling and boogie boarding...........so, is it safe to assume we are where we always are:

1. No reunion
2. No comment by anyone that matters
3. More negative comments about somebody is a bitch and some was a cocaine addict
4. And the beat goes on........people movin out, people movin in

How are the trolls doing? Or should that be phrased as "how is the troll doing?" Still trolling?

Hoping to read more in the new week.
http://profile.ak.fbcdn.net/hprofile-ak-snc4/50031_196902233_1930063060_n.jpg

davidh
03-21-2012, 09:26 PM
just a thought, it would be nice if ALL THE LADIES could get together and, sing the songs that were hits while they were in the group at the time ,with a big final with all the ladies joining diana on stage.

arrr&bee
03-22-2012, 10:47 AM
good lord..............these women will be in a nursing home and people will be discussing them hurling bed pans at one another.now you better than that....diana would have a bedpan of her own while the[girls]would have to share one!!

BigAl
03-24-2012, 09:32 AM
Some years ago, to an interviewer asking if there would ever be a Beatles' reunion, George Harrison replied, "I'm afraid there cannot be a Beatles' reunion so long as John Lennon remains dead." That can apply to The Supremes as well. Even if Diane and Mary were able to bury the hatchet and work together, and to engage Cindy, the fact remains that Florence Ballard is dead. The Supremes no longer exist and have not since 1967.

Jimi LaLumia
03-24-2012, 10:19 AM
true dat.....................

floyjoy678
03-24-2012, 01:45 PM
BigAl I was just about to write the same thing, without Florence there will never be a Supremes reunion. I think the last time there was was at Berry's party in 1968.

jobeterob
03-24-2012, 03:07 PM
1967......that is the date the Supremes ended; and then they started for another few years in 1970; really only went to about 1973 and then it was a gong show again

so, the word i get is that the trolls are staying in the kitchen, guarding the gate and the keys to the kingdom, just in case the Queen gets another award?????

marv2
03-24-2012, 04:37 PM
1967......that is the date the Supremes ended; and then they started for another few years in 1970; really only went to about 1973 and then it was a gong show again

so, the word i get is that the trolls are staying in the kitchen, guarding the gate and the keys to the kingdom, just in case the Queen gets another award?????

I am sure Susaye Greene, who is a member here would take issue with you referring to her work and tenure with the Supremes as "the Gong Show"! I thought the groups last two albums were some of their strongests and that include some of the garbage albums they put out in the sixties.

atcsm
03-24-2012, 05:33 PM
Because insulting a former Supreme is classless, right?

honest man
03-24-2012, 05:41 PM
atcsm Obviously the poster has no class, and clueless as we all know, cheers.

captainjames
03-24-2012, 09:29 PM
Yes, I understand what it is you are saying but that is why the "FANS" were wanting a Diana Ross and The Supremes Reunion ````but that wont happen as well.

Some years ago, to an interviewer asking if there would ever be a Beatles' reunion, George Harrison replied, "I'm afraid there cannot be a Beatles' reunion so long as John Lennon remains dead." That can apply to The Supremes as well. Even if Diane and Mary were able to bury the hatchet and work together, and to engage Cindy, the fact remains that Florence Ballard is dead. The Supremes no longer exist and have not since 1967.

TheMotownManiac
03-24-2012, 11:09 PM
Diana was more than happy to share the spotlight at RTL, but Mary wouldn't join until it was too late. Also, Diana wanted all of The Supremes after her to share the stage as well. Mary was the one to say no to it - claiming it was just the money. Really, it was also that she didn't want the others there, just like she kept Cindy, Scherrie, Lynda and Susaye from various awards.

Agreed, based on past hostilities, notably between Diane and Mary, based on Diane’s inability to accept someone else having some spotlight, other than herself...
[[Sorry people, if this may come off as a snide remark against Diane, may she remain eternally fabulous on her own right, whether with them or solo, but I'm still pretty jaded since been reading the "truth" in Mary Wilson's book).

TheMotownManiac
03-24-2012, 11:25 PM
YOU stop lying! Mary Wilson is NOT Your friend! She didn't even know who you were and requested a photo. i saw the email. YOU are the one smearing an innocent person [[smearing Mary by acting like she'd be friends with you when she pointedly has said on more than one occasion, "Who's Marv?") It's you she directed the admonishment "leave Diane and myself out of your PETTY squabbles" She doesn't need or want your defense and is horrified at your offense "on her behalf." You can obsess about various Supremes all you want but don't be going around acting like you are Mary are friends - you are NOT.

What is to me dude? She is my friend and one our music icons. She was never a crack head. You should stop with the lying. What is it to me to see you trying to smear an innocent person? Everything!

What is your investment in these women any way? You would not know shit about any of it if Mary had not wrote about it and told it herself! What's there to elaborate? It evidently never became a big problem for her unlike with Diana Ross who has had several well publicized stints in rehab over the years! Oh don't even try to use that weak-kneed "don't waste your time replying" because I just did and you will never get away with smear tactics when I am around. You know nothing!

marv2
03-24-2012, 11:26 PM
Diana was more than happy to share the spotlight at RTL, but Mary wouldn't join until it was too late. Also, Diana wanted all of The Supremes after her to share the stage as well. Mary was the one to say no to it - claiming it was just the money. Really, it was also that she didn't want the others there, just like she kept Cindy, Scherrie, Lynda and Susaye from various awards.

That's why they were sitting in the audience on Oprah, while Diane was sitting on stage? Also, from the clips we've seen of their concert tour, you had Diana Ross singing and the other ladies all the way on the other side of the arena singing. It was rare to see a camera shot of all three in the same frame. They had to use the split-screen technique to show them all.

TheMotownManiac
03-24-2012, 11:29 PM
Miss Ross didn't deviate from the plan - Mary did by wearing Red instead of the agreed upon black, white or silver - then started singing lead out of nowhere and later claimed she thought Diana had forgotten the words. Mary was mad because they cut her solo so she took Diana's. The red dress was planned before she knew she was not getting the solo.

Roberta75
03-24-2012, 11:42 PM
YOU stop lying! Mary Wilson is NOT Your friend! She didn't even know who you were and requested a photo. i saw the email. YOU are the one smearing an innocent person [[smearing Mary by acting like she'd be friends with you when she pointedly has said on more than one occasion, "Who's Marv?") It's you she directed the admonishment "leave Diane and myself out of your PETTY squabbles" She doesn't need or want your defense and is horrified at your offense "on her behalf." You can obsess about various Supremes all you want but don't be going around acting like you are Mary are friends - you are NOT.

LOL. You must be addressing marv2. In his mind Mary is his friend. People do hear voices you know. LOL

Best to you and thanks for the laugh on this quiet Saturday night.

Roberta

atcsm
03-24-2012, 11:45 PM
"not wrote about" Correct grammer is "not written about". Why do you give Whitney a pass but not
Diana? Diana was able to overcome her demons, but unfortunately for us all Whitney was not. Where is the difference? Serious question - man to man.

marv2
03-24-2012, 11:56 PM
Miss Ross didn't deviate from the plan - Mary did by wearing Red instead of the agreed upon black, white or silver - then started singing lead out of nowhere and later claimed she thought Diana had forgotten the words. Mary was mad because they cut her solo so she took Diana's. The red dress was planned before she knew she was not getting the solo.

That is a bunch of lies so don't believe any of it! Mary Wilson did wear a black dress for the taping. They even printed publicity pictures from the taping in the Detroit Free Press showing Mary wearing a black dress and head-dress surrounded by the Four Tops [[all smiling). Diane was so foul, she didn't even speak to Miss Johnnie Mae that day when they met up to rehearse.

For the finale, she, Marvin Gaye, Martha Reeves etc changed clothing. Diana Ross did forget the words to "Someday We'll Be Together" mostly because she had been drinking and not because of some flu! Mary started singing the lead after Diana Ross had completely stopped! It was not because she was mad about her speech being cut earlier [[that was impossible to know that her speech was going to be edited out , because they were still taping that night!). After the shove and then later the pushing of the microphone away from Mary's mouth, Diane ran to the back of the stage for fear of getting her ass kicked right there in front of the audience.

Berry Gordy later chewed her ass out before the after party held across the street at the mall! Now that is what happened. People can add or subtract all they want,but it will not change the facts, the truth!

atcsm
03-24-2012, 11:59 PM
You're dreamworld is a fascinating read - you Jackie Collins you.

That is a bunch of lies so don't believe any of it! Mary Wilson did wear a black dress for the taping. They even printed publicity pictures from the taping in the Detroit Free Press showing Mary wearing a black dress and head-dress surrounded by the Four Tops [[all smiling). Diane was so foul, she didn't even speak to Miss Johnnie Mae that day when they met up to rehearse.

For the finale, she, Marvin Gaye, Martha Reeves etc changed clothing. Diana Ross did forget the words to "Someday We'll Be Together" mostly because she had been drinking and not because of some flu! Mary started singing the lead after Diana Ross had completely stopped! It was not because she was mad about her speech being cut earlier [[that was impossible to know that her speech was going to be edited out , because they were still taping that night!). After the shove and then later the pushing of the microphone away from Mary's mouth, Diane ran to the back of the stage for fear of getting her ass kicked right there in front of the audience.

Berry Gordy later chewed her ass out before the after party held across the street at the mall! Now that is what happened. People can add or subtract all they want,but it will not change the facts, the truth!

TheMotownManiac
03-25-2012, 12:20 AM
What has that got to do with Mary banning them from various award presentations?

Both Lynda and Scherrie have stated numerous times that decision was Oprah's - NOT Diana's. She requested they be brought up but Oprah said the cameras and lighting were already set. Ask them.

It was a huge stage and all three were spaced apart for much of it - they were just trying to spread out. And they took turns being in the middle and on each end. It is not as if Diana was not sharing the stage - they were there and had solos. I hate to be bursting your bubbles, or are you happy to learn Diana is not as bad as you thought?
That's why they were sitting in the audience on Oprah, while Diane was sitting on stage? Also, from the clips we've seen of their concert tour, you had Diana Ross singing and the other ladies all the way on the other side of the arena singing. It was rare to see a camera shot of all three in the same frame. They had to use the split-screen technique to show them all.

jillfoster
03-25-2012, 12:29 AM

Sorry, but Marv's account is completely true, and corroborated by words directly from Berry Gordy's mouth.

TheMotownManiac
03-25-2012, 12:42 AM
A lie don't care who tell it! ooooooooooooooooooooo..........More lies! With what Mary does with The 4 Tops, no wonder she had to change her dress! hehehehehe.......... she may have changed into a black dress, but she wore red on stage and you and the other millions who saw it know it - so stop your lying or take your no-friend-of-Mary's ass to Youtube and refresh your memory! lolol

Now you're lying about Diana not having the flu. You don't know her or her flu bug [[or WERE you also buds with the flu bug back then?) You just make stuff up.

As for Mary's solo - she KNEW it got cut cuz she never sang it. No one's talking about no speech but you.

And lastly, Berry did not chew her ass before the party......he just told her the same thing he said to several others at the party "what is wrong with Mary? What is she high on? Suzanne is furious at her - I'd keep my distance until she gets treatment!"

why do you have to make up so much stuff? The truth will set you free!

marv2
03-25-2012, 12:42 AM

Dude. If that is what Mary told you, then run with it! That way you can leave me alone to be free to enjoy my rights of Freedom of Speech as an American citizen. Free from the "threat" of you and your buddies "telling Mary on me" who she has told you she doesn't even know! So what's it going to be?

marv2
03-25-2012, 12:43 AM

We are still waiting for you to contribute something, anything of value to this forum other than your weak-kneed bitchy responses to the posts of others. Can't you find anything of worth to contribute?

TheMotownManiac
03-25-2012, 12:46 AM
Sorry, but Youtube doesn't lie. And Mary was the one who was drunk. She admitted to drinking lots of champagne in the dressing room and Cindy said Mary was acting crazy,

Sorry, but Marv's account is completely true, and corroborated by words directly from Berry Gordy's mouth.

marv2
03-25-2012, 12:49 AM
What has that got to do with Mary banning them from various award presentations?

Both Lynda and Scherrie have stated numerous times that decision was Oprah's - NOT Diana's. She requested they be brought up but Oprah said the cameras and lighting were already set. Ask them.

It was a huge stage and all three were spaced apart for much of it - they were just trying to spread out. And they took turns being in the middle and on each end. It is not as if Diana was not sharing the stage - they were there and had solos. I hate to be bursting your bubbles, or are you happy to learn Diana is not as bad as you thought?

This Supremes shit has really got you crazy huh? It's not so much about what I, one individual thinks. It's more important to know what the public thinks and that is she is a self-centered, egotisical, selfish bitch. That's what her reputation is and it began before she ever left the Supremes. Now when she did leave the group, that is when it set in like cement that she does not like sharing the spotlight. The whole RTL situation was just a reminder to the public that she has not changed! You can spin it the way you want to, but the proof is in the fact that her career nose-dived well over 25 years ago in this county and has yet to rebound.

marv2
03-25-2012, 12:50 AM

She did not ban anyone.

marv2
03-25-2012, 12:55 AM
A lie don't care who tell it! ooooooooooooooooooooo..........More lies! With what Mary does with The 4 Tops, no wonder she had to change her dress! hehehehehe.......... she may have changed into a black dress, but she wore red on stage and you and the other millions who saw it know it - so stop your lying or take your no-friend-of-Mary's ass to Youtube and refresh your memory! lolol

Now you're lying about Diana not having the flu. You don't know her or her flu bug [[or WERE you also buds with the flu bug back then?) You just make stuff up.

As for Mary's solo - she KNEW it got cut cuz she never sang it. No one's talking about no speech but you.

And lastly, Berry did not chew her ass before the party......he just told her the same thing he said to several others at the party "what is wrong with Mary? What is she high on? Suzanne is furious at her - I'd keep my distance until she gets treatment!"

You see, this is why I usually don't like responding to you guys because I know you cannot handle the truth. You start in with the juvenille jokes and quips in an embarrassing attempt to appear witty or funny. You just appear to be full of sour grapes. You act mortally wounded whenever you learn some things that are not necessarily pretty about Miss Ross. Well there are a lot of unpleasant things that you don't know about in the World. If you keep up with the lies and bullshit, I have no choice to refute it with the truth and I am all about the truth kiddo!

TheMotownManiac
03-25-2012, 12:56 AM
Even celebrities of Mary's calibre have to worry about crazed, dellusional and obsessed fans. If Mary knew just how many HOURS you spend "defending your friend" and attacking The Supreme Supreme, she'd be worrying for her safety. If you love Mary as you claim, ease up on her all together - the lies and the attacks in her defense.
As for your rights of free speech - there are exceptions to that "right" and you consistantly comment on other's including implied threats of violence and other forms of intimidation to get them to quit. What's good for the goose............ what's it going to be?

Dude. If that is what Mary told you, then run with it! That way you can leave me alone to be free to enjoy my rights of Freedom of Speech as an American citizen. Free from the "threat" of you and your buddies "telling Mary on me" who she has told you she doesn't even know! So what's it going to be?

marv2
03-25-2012, 01:02 AM

I didn't say she didn't have the flu, I said that the flu is not what caused her to forget the words to the song and act like a general asshole throughout the evening. She was drinking. It is also becoming evident that either you cannot read properly or you read and understand English but chose to ignore what I just wrote. I said Mary wore a black dress and changed before the finale. Why are you pretending that I did not just write that?

AGAIN! I am referring to speech she gave while wearing a black dress at the taping! It was edited out later, so what you said about her being mad about it, made no sense. Not doing a solo on the program was discussed days before the taping, so your non-point is moot!

One of the members here, Cleoharvey was at the taping and I reposted his account of things he saw that night. I know others that were also there that night.
Oh yes he did chew her out in the old fashion Detroit way and others heard it! So we can discuss this over and over and over, but there will be not much new to add to the facts. You will just have to deal with what WAS!

TheMotownManiac
03-25-2012, 01:03 AM
HA! Juvenile jokes? That's a pip coming from YOU. Here's the Youtube clip showing Mary wearing red and you wearing mud hehehehe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQ2Cna4yeEM

THIS is exactly how accurate Marv is!

You see, this is why I usually don't like responding to you guys because I know you cannot handle truth. You start in with the juvenille jokes and quips in an embarrassing attempt to appear witty or funny. You just appear to be full of sour grapes. You act mortally wounded whenever you learn some things that are not necessarily pretty about Miss Ross. Well there are a lot of unpleasant things that you don't know about in the World. If you keep up with the lies and bullshit, I have no choice to refute it with the truth and I am all about the truth kiddo!

marv2
03-25-2012, 01:10 AM
Even celebrities of Mary's calibre have to worry about crazed, dellusional and obsessed fans. If Mary knew just how many HOURS you spend "defending your friend" and attacking The Supreme Supreme, she'd be worrying for her safety. If you love Mary as you claim, ease up on her all together - the lies and the attacks in her defense.
As for your rights of free speech - there are exceptions to that "right" and you consistantly comment on other's including implied threats of violence and other forms of intimidation to get them to quit. What's good for the goose............ what's it going to be?

Nice try! But nothing you said means or will change anything with me. LOL!

supremester
03-25-2012, 02:38 AM
Now Marvie-Poo, play nice with others - especially on The Supreme Being's birthday.

marv2
03-25-2012, 10:21 AM
Now Marvie-Poo, play nice with others - especially on The Supreme Being's birthday.

Greg, God is the Supreme Being. I would think you'd know that since it is Lent. Shouldn't you be somewhere focusing on your health? It would make sense to me......

captainjames
03-25-2012, 01:11 PM
Ouch !!! eventhough you put some folks on ignore their post still show up when others copy them in their comments. I guess there is no full proof 100% method of ignore. At any rate at the after party after Motown 25 everyone was focused on Michael Jackson and he was the center of attention. Does anyone even remember Diana being there ?

Jimi LaLumia
03-25-2012, 01:40 PM
i'm sure that Michael knew she was there; he wouldn't even exist as the MJ he became without the influence of Diana Ross [[whom he so supremely wanted to be..or at very least, be like..)

jobeterob
03-25-2012, 02:40 PM
I'll contribute my little bit of discomfiting news.........I was told by somebody who was there that MJ didn't like Mary much because of how she treated Diana.

That's as ugly as I wanna get.

Think we are needing either Mary Brewster's or Mary Wilson's posts here: leave Diane out of the petty talk; and when you call them bad names, you are talking about your Mom and your sister and your daughter. But we'll just carry on I'm sure...........

thisoldheart
03-25-2012, 06:24 PM
is this a music board!?

captainjames
03-25-2012, 10:06 PM
That is a true statement but again I ask, Was Diana even at the after party ?

I'll contribute my little bit of discomfiting news.........I was told by somebody who was there that MJ didn't like Mary much because of how she treated Diana.

Think we are needing either Mary Brewster's or Mary Wilson's posts here: leave Diane out of the petty talk; and when you call them bad names, you are talking about your Mom and your sister and your daughter. But we'll just carry on I'm sure...........

franjoy56
03-25-2012, 10:48 PM
and the bashing of the Supremes continues....why can't the Supremes be like other girl groups of days gone by like The Shirelles, The HOneycone, and others who don't have so much annimosity, the fans should won't let it alone. Let it go already, like someone said better to leave well enough alone and enjoy the music we got. when the rtl failed that should have closed the door to the supremes ever getting together again, even though we wished it could have been cindy, and Mary diana picked instead of scherrie and lynda. and through all this Flo's memory is left in the dust when Michelle Chapman said if it weren't for Flo there would be no Supremes,, Diana and Mary go your way and enjoy the rest of your lives with whatever success is out there for you both, Cindy god bless you fo being a supreme and putting up with all that came with it from from Mary, Diana & Jean. Scherrie I imagined was a blessing to work with.

marv2
03-25-2012, 10:57 PM

Not true as usual! Michael Jackson and the Jackson family adored Mary Wilson. Michael even as an adult still kept in touch with his childhood playmate, Mary's son for a good long time. So Jobeterob, I don't know where you got your ideas up there in Canada, but you are wrong. I starting to believe you like making things up just to keep fights going. Am I right?

marv2
03-25-2012, 10:59 PM
is this a music board!?

It is for the most part until you come into a Supremes or Diana Ross thread and then it becomes some sort of freakish soap opera.

marv2
03-25-2012, 11:05 PM
and the bashing of the Supremes continues....why can't the Supremes be like other girl groups of days gone by like The Shirelles, The HOneycone, and others who don't have so much annimosity, the fans should won't let it alone. Let it go already, like someone said better to leave well enough alone and enjoy the music we got. when the rtl failed that should have closed the door to the supremes ever getting together again, even though we wished it could have been cindy, and Mary diana picked instead of scherrie and lynda. and through all this Flo's memory is left in the dust when Michelle Chapman said if it weren't for Flo there would be no Supremes,, Diana and Mary go your way and enjoy the rest of your lives with whatever success is out there for you both, Cindy god bless you fo being a supreme and putting up with all that came with it from from Mary, Diana & Jean. Scherrie I imagined was a blessing to work with.

Well Fran, there are just some strange people out there I've come to learn. Truthfully, I don't even listen to Supremes music much at all, except when Mary is in concert. I am not interested in any reunion. I do however feel obligated to speak up when I read things that I know are untrue or when people like MotownManiac slurs Mary by calling her a tramp. Other than that, the Supremes are a nice memory from years ago.

nomis
03-25-2012, 11:19 PM
Marv's pretty much right on all accounts of that except Im pretty sure she didnt attend the after party,everybody else did but she skipped it flying out of town in a charted helicopter..now a serious question - there exists a photo of this night of marvin in his white suit and shades sharing a microphone with Diana whos wearing fur..when was this ? at the rehearsal ?ive always wanted to know..I doubt Diana was drunk but she was known to take a few nips of Brandy before performances and that night she was certainly entering the lions den that night

franjoy56
03-26-2012, 12:32 AM
yes Marv it is shameless how Mary is being bashed here after all if it weren't for her the Supremes would have ended in 1970, when Berry insisted on replacing Jean with Syretta Wright another Diana clone that the group did not need at this point.

marv2
03-26-2012, 12:50 AM
Marv's pretty much right on all accounts of that except Im pretty sure she didnt attend the after party,everybody else did but she skipped it flying out of town in a charted helicopter..now a serious question - there exists a photo of this night of marvin in his white suit and shades sharing a microphone with Diana whos wearing fur..when was this ? at the rehearsal ?ive always wanted to know..I doubt Diana was drunk but she was known to take a few nips of Brandy before performances and that night she was certainly entering the lions den that night

Thank you Nomis. Like I said she and Berry had their "discussion" before the after-party. That may have been why she got the heck up out of there! LOL! Anyway, Jet Magazine did a nice job with photos covering the after party. I am not sure about Marvin and her sharing a mic. It may have been during rehearsals because for the finale he was in a red suit.

supremester
03-26-2012, 02:36 AM
God, to you, is The Supreme Being and you don't "know" that, you can only think or believe it. The vast majority of the world has nothing to do with Lent, I among them. My Catholic buds are all about it, though. To me, Miss Ross IS the Supreme Being and it is my right as an American citizen to believe so. As for my health, thank you for caring - this is so much nicer than when you posted that you wish I had died on the operating table - please know I have concerns for your health as well, dear.

Greg, God is the Supreme Being. I would think you'd know that since it is Lent. Shouldn't you be somewhere focusing on your health? It would make sense to me......

supremester
03-26-2012, 02:42 AM
I recall hearing she was there for a short while and jetted back to her tour - but that was so long ago that I could be fuzzy about it.

Ouch !!! eventhough you put some folks on ignore their post still show up when others copy them in their comments. I guess there is no full proof 100% method of ignore. At any rate at the after party after Motown 25 everyone was focused on Michael Jackson and he was the center of attention. Does anyone even remember Diana being there ?

jobeterob
03-26-2012, 04:03 AM
I thought they brought Lesley Gore in to the party and she sang in her best teen angst voice: "It's MY party and I'll cry if I want toooooooooooooo"............and then the pity party of the failed Supremes reunions and the endless cayiying for another one started in earnest!

marybrewster
03-26-2012, 11:24 AM
I'm trying to stay away from this thread as much as possible, but I do have a few questions, if anyone can confirm:

It's been said that Diana only confirmed a day or two before the event. Were Mary and Cindy's participation contingent on Diana's appearance? Would they have appeared somehow without her? Is that where Mary's "speech" came in?

Because everyone is so obsessed with the "red dress"; when did Mary know [[or not know) about the color scheme? If Mary didn't know until last minute, was she just supposed to somehow find a dress a day or two before the event? How come there isn't any discussion about Martha Reeves gold outfit, or Marvin Gaye's red jacket?

captainjames
03-26-2012, 01:55 PM
I Believe it was more than a couple days before the event when Motown got confirmation that she would do it. Michael Jackson was one of the longest hold out for the event and it took Berry to get him to do it. As far as Mary's outfit that evening it has already been stated that she had on a black dress prior to that. It was obvious that the change was intentional.

I'm trying to stay away from this thread as much as possible, but I do have a few questions, if anyone can confirm:

It's been said that Diana only confirmed a day or two before the event. Were Mary and Cindy's participation contingent on Diana's appearance? Would they have appeared somehow without her? Is that where Mary's "speech" came in?

Because everyone is so obsessed with the "red dress"; when did Mary know [[or not know) about the color scheme? If Mary didn't know until last minute, was she just supposed to somehow find a dress a day or two before the event? How come there isn't any discussion about Martha Reeves gold outfit, or Marvin Gaye's red jacket?

jobeterob
03-26-2012, 02:55 PM
Luckily, none of them came in rags anyways.

And they looked a lot classier dressed than for Motown 40.

I don't know anything about the dresses really but I've always thought when Mary came out she always looked quite upset ~ and I'm talking about her face. I have no idea what might have made her look that way ~ maybe she'd just been told their set had been cut down a lot. That would have upset me as well.

And who can blame her for pushing hard ~ she knew this might be the last attempt to achieve success and a hit.

marybrewster
03-26-2012, 03:06 PM
Thanks captain. I am truly looking at getting to the bottom to this. Lord knows how much sleep I have lost at night.

So my next question is: is it unheard of for a performer to change outfits several times in one evening? I sort of compare this to an awards show. I can't keep straight how many times I see stars change in one evening. I think at the last big show [[Grammy's maybe?), I bet Adele changed at least 2 or 3 times. And typically, when the emcee of a show is female, I don't think it's unheard of for she to change multiple times. Recently I saw Carrie Underwood host something, and if she changed her dress once, I bet she changed it 10 times. This dates back to even when Diana hosted the AMA's. I swear I saw her in more than one outfit.

So basically, Mary wore one dress to give her speech, which I assume the audience saw in part, then changed her dress for the reunion with Diana and Cindy. Doesn't sound too out of the ordinary to me.

marybrewster
03-26-2012, 03:18 PM
jobete-

You're right! Diana, Mary, Cindy all looked fabulous that night [[Motown 25). I'm not sure what the scoop was with Motown 40. I guess it's pretty difficult to find one "look" that compliments 3 ages, and 3 body types.

Back to Motown 25, you've got Diana in a very smart and super sparkly suit with fierce fox [[?) stoll. She shines like a big diamond on that stage! She sure had the audience on their feet! Even Claudette jumps up from the first row!

I've always enjoyed watching Cindy come out to a thunderous applause. The way she "swooshes" her arm is very Sullivan-esque. I keep looking for her gold lame' batwings, LOL.

Then you've got Mary, every inch the red hot mama! How wonderful for her to help Diana sing "Someday" while Diana announces her former singing partners. I don't know how Diana could have done it otherwise. It's too bad Diana didn't take the song back, after Mary gestures to her after the lyric "every, every night". Ever the professional, she just keeps the show moving along!

It's too bad it wasn't a longer "reunion", but I suppose with very little rehersal time, it went as well as it could.

smark21
03-26-2012, 08:35 PM
Given the assessments of Diana’s and Mary’s characters and morals on this thread, perhaps they should have their public reunion on either Dr. Phil or Judge Judy.

stephanie
03-26-2012, 11:34 PM
Smark that is the funniest thing I have read all day. Supremester I am glad your health is much better.

captainjames
03-27-2012, 08:18 AM
Oh no of course not - it is common for a performer to change outfits during the night. The question or statement was raised earlier that Mary possibly didn't have anything black or white to wear that evening. It obvious that she did have something black to wear and she did have it on earlier. The fact that she wore a different color shows one or two things [[1) She did it intentionally to deviate from the agreement or [[2) She is color blind.

Thanks captain. I am truly looking at getting to the bottom to this. Lord knows how much sleep I have lost at night.

So my next question is: is it unheard of for a performer to change outfits several times in one evening? I sort of compare this to an awards show. I can't keep straight how many times I see stars change in one evening. I think at the last big show [[Grammy's maybe?), I bet Adele changed at least 2 or 3 times. And typically, when the emcee of a show is female, I don't think it's unheard of for she to change multiple times. Recently I saw Carrie Underwood host something, and if she changed her dress once, I bet she changed it 10 times. This dates back to even when Diana hosted the AMA's. I swear I saw her in more than one outfit.

So basically, Mary wore one dress to give her speech, which I assume the audience saw in part, then changed her dress for the reunion with Diana and Cindy. Doesn't sound too out of the ordinary to me.

marybrewster
03-27-2012, 09:05 AM
So this agreement; was it just a "Supremes" thing, or a whole "Motown 25" thing.

CAN SOMEONE EXPLAIN WHY MARTHA REEVES WORE GOLD AND NO ONE IS NAILING HER TO THE CROSS?

I hope I made myself clear. Because the facts don't add up. You have Martha Reeves in gold, Marvin Gaye in red, High Inergy and DeBarge in a rainbow of colors, and I'm pretty certain several of the Jackson's were not in BLACK, WHITE or SILVER.

I call BULLSHIT on this color scheme.

milven
03-27-2012, 09:41 AM
Even though two of the Andrews Sisters are deceased, there is a better chance to see an Andrews Sisters reunion before we see a Supremes reunion.
:[[:[[

marybrewster
03-27-2012, 01:30 PM
Technically speaking, the hopes of a Supremes reunion were buried with Blondie Ballard.

captainjames
03-27-2012, 02:09 PM
Mary
I believe it was an agreement among the girls.

So this agreement; was it just a "Supremes" thing, or a whole "Motown 25" thing.

CAN SOMEONE EXPLAIN WHY MARTHA REEVES WORE GOLD AND NO ONE IS NAILING HER TO THE CROSS?

I hope I made myself clear. Because the facts don't add up. You have Martha Reeves in gold, Marvin Gaye in red, High Inergy and DeBarge in a rainbow of colors, and I'm pretty certain several of the Jackson's were not in BLACK, WHITE or SILVER.

I call BULLSHIT on this color scheme.

supremester
03-30-2012, 06:01 PM
Because, when push comes to shove [[pun intended) she still is, to the general public worldwide, the single most important Motown artist and always will be. Her catalog sells, her concerts sell and the media is still very interested in the woman behind the voice behind the biggest percentage of Motown's top 100 hits. That's according to Billboard. If you take it international, her percentage doubles. Miss Ropss IS The Boss!

QUOTE=jobeterob;99220]I think the hatchet was buried years ago; this is why Mary congratulated Diana online recently on the Grammy and why she published her online letter asking the fans to leave her and Diana out of the petty talk.

But the fans cant let go ~ they'd love a Beach Boys style reunion. And yes, it probably is a NO, which is why it's wanted even more.

Stevie and Smokey do show up everywhere, at every funeral and they comment all the time. And yes, Diana, Stevie and Smokey do put out the odd new release ~ but they'll always be remembered for their heydays. And yes, Stevie today might sell the best of the three ~ but none of them are Taylor Swift, Lil Wayne or Adele.

But why is it that there is STILL so much attention paid to Diana? Why are there thousands of pictures of the Grammy? Why is she the one they all still talk about?[/QUOTE]

supremester
03-30-2012, 06:04 PM
Because Martha and the others are not now, norwere they then, members of Diana Ross & The Supremes. Cindy and Suzanne DePass have commented on this publicly.

Mary
I believe it was an agreement among the girls.

jillfoster
03-30-2012, 09:20 PM
Because, when push comes to shove [[pun intended) she still is, to the general public worldwide, the single most important Motown artist and always will be. Her catalog sells, her concerts sell and the media is still very interested in the woman behind the voice behind the biggest percentage of Motown's top 100 hits. That's according to Billboard. If you take it international, her percentage doubles. Miss Ropss IS The Boss!

[/QUOTE]
So full of shit. Every human walking the planet knows that MICHAEL JACKSON is the single most important artist to come out of motown.

skooldem1
03-30-2012, 11:44 PM
Both of you are full of sh1t, cause we all know that Shantel Baker is the single most important Motown "artist". :D

David J
03-31-2012, 03:49 AM
So full of shit. Every human walking the planet knows that MICHAEL JACKSON is the single most important artist to come out of motown.[/QUOTE]

And who did Michael Jackson loved, admired and worshipped to the point of him naming her in his final WILL????? Ms Diana Ross of course.
I rest my case.;)

Jimi LaLumia
03-31-2012, 06:02 AM
most of the 80's/90's Thriller MJ fans hardly even associate him with Motown; it's his Epic era stuff that filled the charts upon his death,certainly not his Motown output;
ROSS is the face of MOTOWN, always will be

blueskies
03-31-2012, 10:32 AM
Both of you are full of sh1t, cause we all know that Shantel Baker is the single most important Motown "artist". :D

Here! Here! I'm SO thankful someone finally stood up and spoke THE TRUTH! Thank you.....skooldem!

supremester
03-31-2012, 11:20 PM
Such language, Jill. Do you have anger issues that cause such strong outbursts at differing opinions in a discussion forum? I disagree with you. Michael is the BIGGEST Motown artist, but, as far as importance goes, I still say Diana Ross. It is Miss Ross who got The Supremes their audition, and Ross is why Gordy signed them. It's his faith in her talent and abilities that led him to book them at The Copa and her fronting every groundbreaking success of The Supremes that blazed the trail for other Motown artists to follow. Additionally, the income generated from Diana Ross & The Supremes funded Motown's rapid expansion. Anyone at the company back in the day will tell you that. Of course, Mary, Flo, The andantes, writers, producers, promo, A&R, and Artist Development all helped tremendously, but, ultimately, it was Diana Ross' visage on Mike Douglas, LLoyd Thaxton and other daytime shows - not to mention all the primetime shows that broke the barrier of black pop groups. Not to take anything away from MJ, but I stand behind my statement.
So full of shit. Every human walking the planet knows that MICHAEL JACKSON is the single most important artist to come out of motown.[/QUOTE]

jillfoster
04-01-2012, 03:29 AM
Such language, Jill. Do you have anger issues that cause such strong outbursts at differing opinions in a discussion forum? I disagree with you. Michael is the BIGGEST Motown artist, but, as far as importance goes, I still say Diana Ross. It is Miss Ross who got The Supremes their audition, and Ross is why Gordy signed them. It's his faith in her talent and abilities that led him to book them at The Copa and her fronting every groundbreaking success of The Supremes that blazed the trail for other Motown artists to follow. Additionally, the income generated from Diana Ross & The Supremes funded Motown's rapid expansion. Anyone at the company back in the day will tell you that. Of course, Mary, Flo, The andantes, writers, producers, promo, A&R, and Artist Development all helped tremendously, but, ultimately, it was Diana Ross' visage on Mike Douglas, LLoyd Thaxton and other daytime shows - not to mention all the primetime shows that broke the barrier of black pop groups. Not to take anything away from MJ, but I stand behind my statement.

Broke the barrier of black pop groups? And the Shirelles didn't have any hits?

Penny
04-01-2012, 10:55 AM
Redhot needs to come over here to this thread and spread some positive energy.

There will be no reunion. That train did, in fact, leave the station.

Penny:cool:
AVON Rep.

ralpht
04-01-2012, 11:19 AM
Penny is right. I have to admit I'm amazed that some of you seem to dwell on a subject that is, in my opinion, a big waste of time. The Supremes were "Then" and this is "now". I think attempts ought to be made to accept that fact and move on.

ralpht
04-01-2012, 11:20 AM
And who really cares who the biggest Motown act was? All of the stable contributed to the magic that once was Motown.

thisoldheart
04-01-2012, 08:38 PM
and who really cares who the biggest motown act was? All of the stable contributed to the magic that once was motown.
yyyeeesss!!!

jobeterob
04-02-2012, 01:58 AM
This is one of those threads that should be filed under "Garbage Threads" or deleted ~ it is very few people talking about nothing and failing to remember Marybrewster's wolds that when you call Mary Wilson a slut and an addict and Diana Ross a bitch and a drunk, you are addressing your Mother and your sister and so many other women that have had life issues; and it just might be that both Miss Ross and Miss Wilson survived and thrived in their own way and should be congratulated for not becoming Michael Jackson and Whitney Houston.

marv2
04-02-2012, 09:52 AM
This is one of those threads that should be filed under "Garbage Threads" or deleted ~ it is very few people talking about nothing and failing to remember Marybrewster's wolds that when you call Mary Wilson a slut and an addict and Diana Ross a bitch and a drunk, you are addressing your Mother and your sister and so many other women that have had life issues; and it just might be that both Miss Ross and Miss Wilson survived and thrived in their own way and should be congratulated for not becoming Michael Jackson and Whitney Houston.

I take issue with that. I loved Michael Jackson and Whitney Houston. They made some incredible music that I have enjoyed. They were not perfect people, but they did what they were sent here to do. I could never look down on either one of them!

Who really does care who the biggest Motown Act was? To me, ALL the people [[not just the performers) were incredibly special people to create what they did right there in DETROIT MICHIGAN! They were one of the best examples of a "team effort" that I have ever seen and that includes the World of sports!

LadySingsBlues
04-02-2012, 12:12 PM
I take issue with that. I loved Michael Jackson and Whitney Houston. They made some incredible music that I have enjoyed. They were not perfect people, but they did what they were sent here to do. I could never look down on either one of them!

Who really does care who the biggest Motown Act was? To me, ALL the people [[not just the performers) were incredibly special people to create what they did right there in DETROIT MICHIGAN! They were one of the best examples of a "team effort" that I have ever seen and that includes the World of sports!

Same for Diana. Too bad you don't have enough decency & respect to give her the same courtesy. Instead, you'd rather foolishly gage an internet campaign on behalf of another woman who has already said publicly that she wants no parts of it. SMH.

ralpht
04-02-2012, 12:46 PM
Lady,
You're about to step over a line that I don't like. Rein in the negativity please.

milven
04-02-2012, 01:39 PM

Same for Diana. Too bad you don't have enough decency & respect to give her the same courtesy. Instead, you'd rather foolishly gage an Internet campaign on behalf of another woman who has already said publicly that she wants no parts of it. SMH.

Lady,
You're about to step over a line that I don't like. Rein in the negativity please.

Perhaps we are reading different posts Ralph. My interpretation of LadySingsBlues post is that she is agreeing with Marv in that all the Motown performers were increditbly special people that made special music and were not perfect people. Diana was part of that group. All LadySingsBlues asked was for Marv to give the same condsideration and understanding to Diana as he asked everyone else on the board to have for Michael and Whitney. That’s not negative

LadySingsBlues
04-02-2012, 01:59 PM
Lady,

So funny that it takes THAT to go out of line but Marv2 can freely exercise his freedom of speech to no reprimanding. Interesting, indeed.

milven
04-02-2012, 02:20 PM
So funny that it takes THAT to go out of line but Marv2 can freely exercise his freedom of speech to no reprimanding. Interesting, indeed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4x5Nh_27ukM

ralpht
04-02-2012, 09:30 PM
Goodbye Lady.

atcsm
04-02-2012, 11:15 PM
Total over reaction.

atcsm
04-03-2012, 12:13 AM
Why are you so protective of him? I guess it's true what they say about your relationship with him - go for it.

ralpht
04-03-2012, 09:01 AM
Over reaction, huh? I've put up with the Marv haters for years now. Care to show me proof that I play favorites or are you like those idiots that like to stir up trouble? Marv CONTRIBUTES to this forum. I suggest you try and do all he does also.

atcsm
04-03-2012, 09:29 AM
Ok, I'll pick a Motown star and bash her to no end with insults, then I will threaten to beat up posters.

ralpht
04-03-2012, 09:33 AM
Well that is a bright reply...................You haven't been around here long enough to know what is happening regarding Marv. Or are you one of THEM?

ralpht
04-03-2012, 09:35 AM
atcsm, Show me, on this thread, where you feel Marv was out of line. Then shut your pie hole.

atcsm
04-03-2012, 09:38 AM
"pie hole" - such a classy moderator. Maybe not on this thread, but there are plenty of examples on other threads.

ralpht
04-03-2012, 09:44 AM
And you just LOVE bringing that up. Good bye to you also.

Roberta75
04-03-2012, 10:10 AM
Lead by example Ralph. As the good book of Peter says:

"Not domineering over those in your charge, but being examples to the flock."

And the book of Timothy wisely states:

"Let the elders who rule well be considered worthy of double honor, especially those who labor in preaching and teaching."

ralpht
04-03-2012, 10:29 AM
Tell you what, Roberta. You try and moderate the many trouble makers that seem to drift in here bent on disrupting the forum. THEN you can spout off Biblical wisdom. The way that I look at it, I AM being in charge of my flock and protecting them from scum balls. Simple.

Roberta75
04-03-2012, 10:45 AM
Tell you what, Roberta. You try and moderate the many trouble makers that seem to drift in here bent on disrupting the forum. THEN you can spout off Biblical wisdom. The way that I look at it, I AM being in charge of my flock and protecting them from scum balls. Simple.

The Lord is my moderator Ralph and he leads me through life. My dear Ralph, calling your flock names is not leading by example.

One of my favorite scriptures is from the book of Proverbs: "Train up a child in the way he should go and when he is old he will not depart from it."

Fondly,

Roberta

ralpht
04-03-2012, 10:52 AM
I guess you're not reading what some meatheads write here, Roberta. I'm not calling anyone that is in my flock responsibly anything. You've been around here long enough to figure that one out, I would hope.

luke
04-03-2012, 11:52 AM
Amen Ralph!

ralpht
04-03-2012, 12:04 PM
Thank you, Luke. Always a voice of reason.

Roberta75
04-03-2012, 12:05 PM
I guess you're not reading what some meatheads write here, Roberta. I'm not calling anyone that is in my flock responsibly anything. You've been around here long enough to figure that one out, I would hope.

Ralph, calling people meatheads and telling members to shut their pie hole isn't showing leadership. I understand you are speaking out of anger and frustration, but calm yourself Ralph. A rational man is a wise man.

The good book of Proverbs rightly states:

"Better a patient man than a warrior, a man who controls his temper than one who takes a city.”

The book of Ecclesiastes says:

“Do not be quickly provoked in your spirit, for anger resides in the lap of fools.”

Food for thought my dear man.

Fondly,

Roberta

ralpht
04-03-2012, 01:17 PM
Roberta,
I only refer the title "Meathead" to meatheads. When they quit disrespecting the forum, I will treat them with civility. Until then, if the shoe fits..............

ralpht
04-03-2012, 01:28 PM
Roberta,
Since we are waxing Biblical, how about..."Don't cast your pearls before swine"?

Roberta75
04-03-2012, 01:57 PM
Roberta,
Since we are waxing Biblical, how about..."Don't cast your pearls before swine"?

Wise words Ralph, from the good book of Mathew.

Keep your eyes and ears close to all threads Ralph and what is written in the book of Isaiah will surely ring true:

"On that day the deaf will hear words of a book, And out of their gloom and darkness the eyes of the blind will see."

ralpht
04-03-2012, 02:04 PM
You know your Bible well, Roberta. I just gave you my best shot.I once was a church organist, but probably should have paid closer attention to the Bible study side of the service.

Roberta75
04-03-2012, 02:19 PM
You know your Bible well, Roberta. I just gave you my best shot.I once was a church organist, but probably should have paid closer attention to the Bible study side of the service.

The Bible is the most inspirational book ever written and reading it keeps me in constant contact with my God and my Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ. I read it every day Ralph and the words and messages I get guide me through life.

Fondly,

Roberta

ralpht
04-03-2012, 02:33 PM
Yes it does, Roberta.

luke
04-03-2012, 07:13 PM
One of the psalms says to bash the brains in of the enemies' babies.

Roberta75
04-03-2012, 07:32 PM
One of the psalms says to bash the brains in of the enemies' babies.

Well I hope you never attempt to do that.

The old Testament says we shouldn’t eat pork, meat, shrimp, crab and lobster, but most of us do.

The book of Leviticus states:
“And all that have not fins and scales in the seas, and in the rivers, of all that move in the waters, and of any living thing which is in the waters, they shall be an abomination unto you: They shall be even an abomination unto you;
ye shall not eat of their flesh, but ye shall have their carcasses in abomination.”

“And the swine, though he divide the hoof, and be cloven-footed, yet he cheweth not the cud; he is unclean to you. Of their flesh shall ye not eat, and their carcass shall ye not touch; they are unclean to you.

Now, I can’t in all good conscience follow either of those doctrines, but most of the Bible gives me strength, courage and and inner peace.”

As a Christian, the point of the Bible is my guide for life but I do understand that it was written thousands of years ago and many things that were written back then are rather silly in our current world.

I am a devout Christian woman who is both pro-choice and pro-Gay. My church preaches tolerance, love and acceptance and yes, we do have a lively bible study group that I attend but there are some things in the bible we know are out of date.

Roberta

smark21
04-03-2012, 08:00 PM
Is there an applicable Bible verse regarding a Supremes reunion?

milven
04-03-2012, 08:11 PM
Evan if I were religious, I would prefer to discuss my religion somewhere other than on a board dedicated to music.
Here is a link to a a message board to discuss the bible. And I understand that the moderator does not call members offensive names.
http://bibleforums.org/forum.php

Now , back to the music, before we all get deleted. :mad::mad:

Roberta75
04-03-2012, 08:13 PM
Is there an applicable Bible verse regarding a Supremes reunion?

LOL. I'm sure there are many smark21.

Roberta